Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Whoa! Stoops Retires from Oklahoma

Didn't see this one coming at all.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-oklahoma/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Odd timing for sure.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

One less guy the Gators have to recruit against

I like it!

With him retiring, that makes only four active coaches that have won a National Championship left coaching, doesn't it?

Still a pretty young guy. I wonder if he takes a shot at pros in a year.

I think he just needs a year away from the grand to recharge his batteries. I think he'll be back in college in 2018. As for the timing, I think he's known for a while that he would be leaving but kept it quiet until now to ensure that Lincoln Riley get the job rather than a full fledge coaching search had he done it at the end of last season.

Many believe a similar situation may happen when Bill Snyder chooses to leave Kansas St. Snyder wants his son to take over after his retirement but the school is not necessarily on board. People believe he could retire close to the beginning of a new season which would likely mean his son take over for at least that season.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

(06-07-2017, 11:42 PM)jaglyn Wrote: One less guy the Gators have to recruit against

I like it!

Sky's the limit now.

Tee hee,

<p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;">

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2017, 12:33 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

He hates being overshadowed by the OU Softball Team that just won the National Championship the night before.

(06-07-2017, 11:46 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: With him retiring, that makes only four active coaches that have won a National Championship left coaching, doesn't it?

I'm estimating there are probably 500+ active coaches out there that won a National Championship.   Cool

(06-08-2017, 12:30 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: He hates being overshadowed by the OU Softball Team that just won the National Championship the night before.

(06-07-2017, 11:46 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: With him retiring, that makes only four active coaches that have won a National Championship left coaching, doesn't it?

I'm estimating there are probably 500+ active coaches out there that won a National Championship.   Cool

You haven't been talking to Jerry Jones, have you?

(06-08-2017, 12:30 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: He hates being overshadowed by the OU Softball Team that just won the National Championship the night before.

You're wrong. Some of them aren't very active at all. A sedentary lifestyle can kill you.

I'm curious to know what the motivation was behind the decision. Health? Family issues? Potential NCAA violations that will come to light? An abrupt retirement like this usually is driven by some other factor, especially for a guy who is still relatively young.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(06-09-2017, 09:31 AM)FBT Wrote: I'm curious to know what the motivation was behind the decision. Health? Family issues? Potential NCAA violations that will come to light? An abrupt retirement like this usually is driven by some other factor, especially for a guy who is still relatively young.

Based upon what I've seen, Stoops said health wasn't the issue.

If I had to guess, maybe potential NCAA violations, though I don't recall Oklahoma having any run ins with the NCAA during his 18 years there. I may be wrong, and even if I am right, it doesn't mean NCAA violations aren't looming, and were not a factor in his sudden departure.

There was a bit of speculation on ESPN that he is angling for the Bears' job should Fox falter there.