Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
My suggestions

First of all, a big thanks to everyone who worked so hard to migrate tons of data to a new website so we can all continue to talk about football, politics, and other stuff.

Second, despite the flaws that need to be tackled (pun intended) before we can all be really happy about it, I am thrilled to be able to post again.

Now that does not mean I like what I see here. As usual when a big change is made, I initially hated it and have to learn to like some things. Here are my complaints:

1. Fargin's Flyby makes no sense. We want new members who had never heard of Fargin. Current posters did not know him before they joined the old board. The word flyby made me think of national anthem flyovers.  Also, the Sideline reference in the description is just a reminder we lost the official forum and, again, will confuse newbies.

Suggested changes: Name the off-topic section The Locker Room (not Locker Room Talk, please) and describe it as "The place to talk about everything else except religion" or a similar sentence. Locker rooms are where coaches and players talk about a variety of topics, so it would be better than The Sideline.

2. The Login and Register links should be moved to the right side like they were before because many people don't save their passwords or need to reset them. It is much easier with those links on the right side IMO.

3. The first word in a quoted post has a red underline when I write my reply. I think the triggers are capital letters. They are all spelled correctly. Please fix this.

4. A way to make the forum index cuter is change the gray and white circles on the left to teal and gold footballs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

1. I totally agree. The Locker Room makes far more sense as the name for the former Sideline. It actually makes more sense than the Sideline as a name, and way more sense than Fargin's Flyby... a name only somewhat grasped by long-term regulars.

2. I don't really get why you're saying this so I'll move on. 

3. You're right about it always erroneously underlining the first word quoted as being wrong somehow when it's not. It not about caps though because it still underlines words that should be capitalized. It just always thinks there's something wrong with the first quoted word, and I get how that can be annoying. 

4. The circles are rather bland. I can see footballs or maybe helmets there, but there would need to be two colors or two different icons... one for "new posts in threads" and one for "no posts in threads."
'02

1.  Very good suggestion.

2.  Not sure exactly what you mean.

3.  I haven't seen this issue.  Perhaps it's a browser or Operating System issue.

4.  Footballs are actually what I had in mind as far as the styling, I just haven't gotten to that yet.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2017, 10:47 AM by WingerDinger.)

I don't see a damn thing wrong with Fargin's Flyby. Fargin helped shape the dynamics of these boards to what they are today and he deserves the credit.. If you're really worried simply because some of the newer/international users won't know who Fargin was, is that really a problem when you think about it? If you still think this is a problem, simply add an addendum introducing Fargin to these users.

Problem solved..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Perhaps a pinned post at the top of Fargin's Flyby explaining the tribute would suffice.

(06-12-2017, 10:45 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I don't see a damn thing wrong with Fargin's Flyby. Fargin helped shape the dynamics of these boards to what they are today and he deserves the credit.. If you're really worried simply because some of the newer/international users won't know who Fargin was, is that really a problem when you think about it? If you still think this is a problem, simply add an addendum introducing Fargin to these users.

Problem solved..
I've been posting here for years and I have no idea who Fargin is or was or what they have to do with the board. It's nice to honor this person but maybe find another way to do it.

The point of the section title is to let people know where to post certain things and to make it easy for anyone (new or old) to find find what they want. Although it may not seem like a big deal, if the people who created the new board want it to grow, you want to make it as easy as possible.

Every section has a description associated with it posted directly below the header on the main landing page for the message board. It tells you very clearly what content resides with each forum. I would expect newbies to actually read this stuff to know where to post appropriate content.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(06-12-2017, 01:24 PM)FBT Wrote: Every section has a description associated with it posted directly below the header on the main landing page for the message board. It tells you very clearly what content resides with each forum. I would expect newbies to actually read this stuff to know where to post appropriate content.
You're giving newbies too much credit. People don't read things anymore. They just see the main headline and move on.

And if the headline doesn't make sense to them, then what?

Sorry, but I think most people were fully capable of figuring it out. The traffic in the forum certainly confirms that.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Good ol' JDub, you can count on her to get the minutia swirled up!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Well, at least I don't have to wonder anymore if she found us.

(06-12-2017, 10:45 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I don't see a damn thing wrong with Fargin's Flyby. Fargin helped shape the dynamics of these boards to what they are today and he deserves the credit.. If you're really worried simply because some of the newer/international users won't know who Fargin was, is that really a problem when you think about it? If you still think this is a problem, simply add an addendum introducing Fargin to these users.

Problem solved..

I greatly appreciate that Fargin is remembered in the Sideline Section Title.  Fargin is one of the first participants I noticed on the old Message Board when I viewed the board for the first time in the fall of 2002.   He was a genuine person and someone that earned respect on merit.

(06-12-2017, 02:15 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Well, at least I don't have to wonder anymore if she found us.

That's because I did not find you. Without a buddy request notification I never would have known about this site.

(09-04-2017, 01:42 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(06-12-2017, 02:15 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Well, at least I don't have to wonder anymore if she found us.

That's because I did not find you. Without a buddy request notification I never would have known about this site.

So who do we need to drawl up, string, key haul and quarter?

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(09-04-2017, 02:29 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 01:42 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: That's because I did not find you. Without a buddy request notification I never would have known about this site.

So who do we need to drawl up, string, key haul and quarter?

WingerDinger.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-04-2017, 03:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 02:29 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: So who do we need to drawl up, string, key haul and quarter?

WingerDinger.

I think it's a very safe bet to say it wasn't him that sent her friend request.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(09-04-2017, 04:17 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 03:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: WingerDinger.

I don't know...  Winger has always said to me that he has a "thing" for JW.   Love

(09-04-2017, 04:17 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 03:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: WingerDinger.

Shall I say who did it?

(06-12-2017, 01:42 PM)FBT Wrote: And if the headline doesn't make sense to them, then what?

I mostly just run around in circles screaming and flailing my arms. It's worked well for me in the past.

(09-04-2017, 09:59 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 04:17 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I think it's a very safe bet to say it wasn't him that sent her friend request.

Shall I say who did it?

That's between you and the person who sent you the request. You should probably ask them if you can.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???