Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(01-31-2024, 07:48 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Why are people wearing shorts and t-shirts in this weather?

I don't know.  Why do you find it annoying?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-31-2024, 08:37 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-31-2024, 07:48 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Why are people wearing shorts and t-shirts in this weather?

I don't know.  Why do you find it annoying?

I posted in the wrong thread and decided to leave it. 

Why are you questioning me? That’s annoying.

(01-31-2024, 08:45 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-31-2024, 08:37 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I don't know.  Why do you find it annoying?

I posted in the wrong thread and decided to leave it. 

Why are you questioning me? That’s annoying.

Hey, that means I put it in the right thread.  Banana

Why can't the reporters and anchors on the nightly network news speak in actual sentences?

"Overnight, several people forced to evacuate." < That is not a sentence.
"The President, calling for more air strikes." < That is not a sentence.

It's irritating.

(02-05-2024, 07:38 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Why can't the reporters and anchors on the nightly network news speak in actual sentences? 

"Overnight, several people forced to evacuate."  < That is not a sentence. 
"The President, calling for more air strikes."  < That is not a sentence. 

It's irritating.

they're just reading from a teleprompter, and if you've picked up a newspaper lately, you'd understand that (copy) editing just ain't a thing these days.

(02-06-2024, 10:46 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-05-2024, 07:38 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Why can't the reporters and anchors on the nightly network news speak in actual sentences? 

"Overnight, several people forced to evacuate."  < That is not a sentence. 
"The President, calling for more air strikes."  < That is not a sentence. 

It's irritating.

they're just reading from a teleprompter, and if you've picked up a newspaper lately, you'd understand that (copy) editing just ain't a thing these days.

It's written that way.  It's on purpose.  They do it every single night.  

"The President, calling for more air strikes.  The Iranians, warning the United States.  The Congress, asking questions."  That's the way they present the news, and those are not sentences.

Bitcoin. The only reason it's worth anything is because people think it is. It has no inherent value. And yet, people "invest" in it, when the only return they will get on that investment is if someone else is willing to pay more for it than they did.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2024, 08:57 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-07-2024, 08:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Bitcoin.  The only reason it's worth anything is because people think it is.  It has no inherent value.  And yet, people "invest" in it, when the only return they will get on that investment is if someone else is willing to pay more for it than they did.

I never understood it, and still don’t. 

In reference to your post in another thread about selling stock, my son bought some bitcoin early on when it was still cheap, and then sold it. Had he held on to it for a few years, it would have been worth millions.

(02-07-2024, 08:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Bitcoin.  The only reason it's worth anything is because people think it is.  It has no inherent value.  And yet, people "invest" in it, when the only return they will get on that investment is if someone else is willing to pay more for it than they did.

When it first came out (and same for NFT), I equated them to comic books and football cards.

It(the card)'s a photo on a slab of cardboard. It only has value if some other collector treasures it as much as you do.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2024, 08:17 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 3 times in total.)

Something that is irritating me these days is contractors who don't respond when you try to contact them.  For example, a well-known local contracting company (Home Remedies) has a website with a form you can fill out and they will supposedly respond to it.  You fill in your name and contact information, describe the project you would like them to talk to you about, and click the button.  I did this and I got no response.  I followed up, and I still got no response.  I encounter this behavior all over the place.  If you call a contractor, typically you get voice mail, you leave a message, and they never call you back.  Not even to tell you they're too busy.  I swear, these days, if you try to contact 12 contractors, most of them will simply not respond.  That is a terrible way to run a business.

(02-21-2024, 08:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Something that is irritating me these days is contractors who don't respond when you try to contact them.  For example, a well-known local contracting company (Home Remedies) has a website with a form you can fill out and they will supposedly respond to it.  You fill in your name and contact information, describe the project you would like them to talk to you about, and click the button.  I did this and I got no response.  I followed up, and I still got no response.  I encounter this behavior all over the place.  If you call a contractor, typically you get voice mail, you leave a message, and they never call you back.  Not even to tell you they're too busy.  I swear, these days, if you try to contact 12 contractors, most of them will simply not respond.  That is a terrible way to run a business.

I'll take that over my other favorite tact.  They make an appointment, you go out of your way to stay home, and they just don't show.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-21-2024, 08:36 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 08:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Something that is irritating me these days is contractors who don't respond when you try to contact them.  For example, a well-known local contracting company (Home Remedies) has a website with a form you can fill out and they will supposedly respond to it.  You fill in your name and contact information, describe the project you would like them to talk to you about, and click the button.  I did this and I got no response.  I followed up, and I still got no response.  I encounter this behavior all over the place.  If you call a contractor, typically you get voice mail, you leave a message, and they never call you back.  Not even to tell you they're too busy.  I swear, these days, if you try to contact 12 contractors, most of them will simply not respond.  That is a terrible way to run a business.

I'll take that over my other favorite tact.  They make an appointment, you go out of your way to stay home, and they just don't show.

I placed an order with a well-known nation-wide company, had to wait 6 weeks for installation, their installer showed up, told me he needed to go get a part, and never came back.  When I called the company to find out what happened, they didn't know, or wouldn't tell me, but told me I could make another appointment and it would take another 6 weeks to get someone to my house.

on the contrary, I prefer them not responding to the initial contact over an immediate response, getting my business and then delaying my project because they've overcommitted themselves.

This guy has quite a memory and I will not attempt contact with the inactive sites the next time I have a project. I'm also a petty butthead, so if a contractor gets the job and then fails to uphold their end, I broadcast their ineptitude from the mountaintop for all to hear.

In my area there are so many new builds going on the contractors can afford to pick and choose. If it's a small project forget about it. If it's a remodel or renovation it better have a baseline of X amount of dollars. It's probably the same there.

Thankfully we both know how to do a lot of different construction to include plumbing and electric so we're not at the mercy of anyone except someone who knows how to level a floor. That we don't know how to do specifically. We've tried to get someone here since 2020 but because it's considered a relatively small job no one is interested.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2024, 07:57 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-26-2024, 11:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

In my area there are so many new builds going on the contractors can afford to pick and choose. If it's a small project forget about it. If it's a remodel or renovation it better have a baseline of X amount of dollars. It's probably the same there.

Thankfully we both know how to do a lot of different construction to include plumbing and electric so we're not at the mercy of anyone except someone who knows how to level a floor. That we don't know how to do specifically. We've tried to get someone here since 2020 but because it's considered a relatively small job no one is interested.

I admit these are "first world problems."  

"I can't find a contractor to build something for me" is not the same as "I have a deadly disease" or "I can't feed my children."  

I know contractors are busy, but my project should be the type they like to do.  It's not a small job.   And it's not a hard job.   Thankfully, I have now found someone to do it, but it is still irritating when a contractor does not respond AT ALL to repeated inquiries.  Not even "We have received your request and will respond as soon as possible."  Nothing but silence.

My problem is getting contractors to follow instructions.

“No witnesses!” I tell them. Now I’m spending more on defense lawyers than contractors these days.

(02-27-2024, 09:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: My problem is getting contractors to follow instructions.

“No witnesses!” I tell them. Now I’m spending more on defense lawyers than contractors these days.

Thanks for the invitation, but I'll pass on that offshore fishing charter.

(02-27-2024, 09:36 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 09:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: My problem is getting contractors to follow instructions.

Thanks for the invitation, but I'll pass on that offshore fishing charter.

Fishing/deep sea diving charter. The value is off the charts.

Walnut Trees.

I have a walnut tree next to my garage that hoovers over my driveway. I absolutely love all the shade it provides in the summer on hot days, but man do them walnuts make a mess of everything. Can't park a car anywhere close to it or it'll get all dented up. As they fall on my garage roof it sounds like a shotgun going off. Sadly I think this may be the year I cut it down.
In Dougie I Trust!

(02-29-2024, 09:09 AM)Hurricane Wrote: Walnut Trees.

I have a walnut tree next to my garage that hoovers over my driveway. I absolutely love all the shade it provides in the summer on hot days, but man do them walnuts make a mess of everything. Can't park a car anywhere close to it or it'll get all dented up. As they fall on my garage roof it sounds like a shotgun going off. Sadly I think this may be the year I cut it down.

Is it possible to emasculate a walnut tree?