Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(03-01-2024, 12:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: An item ordered on Amazon was supposed to be here yesterday and shipped via UPS. Then I receive a notification the item has been delayed in shipment and won’t arrive until March 6th. An entire week?

My guess is UPS doesn’t want to say the item was most likely damaged or destroyed in transit, so they’re just going to make me wait a week before claiming a refund. Either that or it was accidentally routed to Sri Lanka.

Follow up: I cancelled the order on March 6th. The item showed up in the mail a few days later. Free is good.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2024, 08:49 AM by Mikey.)

(03-21-2024, 07:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: One thing I found out recently is that if you leave a pair of glasses in your car on a hot day, the anti-reflective coating will melt, and ruin your glasses.

Had that happen when I left my pair on the porch while I was working in the yard. Sun hit the lenses just right and cooked em.  Thankfully, I was picking up a new pair from the optodoc later that week.

They still serve the purpose in a pinch.

(03-21-2024, 08:07 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 12:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: An item ordered on Amazon was supposed to be here yesterday and shipped via UPS. Then I receive a notification the item has been delayed in shipment and won’t arrive until March 6th. An entire week?

My guess is UPS doesn’t want to say the item was most likely damaged or destroyed in transit, so they’re just going to make me wait a week before claiming a refund. Either that or it was accidentally routed to Sri Lanka.

Follow up: I cancelled the order on March 6th. The item showed up in the mail a few days later. Free is good.

we had that happen during shutdown/coof. wifey ordered an insulated lunch box for one of the kids before school started, delivery was due in mid Sept. That day came and the package didn't arrive, canceled the order and placed with a different company. We got the package in late October I think, it shipped over from China and probably sat in a shipping crate for two or three months.

I received the replacement lenses and have to say I'm happy with them. My biggest concern was they would be cheap quality knockoffs with wavy optics and inconsistent tint, but that isn't the case. They fit well into the Oakley frames and the optics are as good as the originals. I've read online that the mirror coating on these wears off fairly quickly, which is something I'll watch out for. If so, I'll probably spring for a set of Oakley lenses even though the price is high. But in the eight years or so that I've owned them, they've shown no signs of wear, and the optics are flawless. There's no doubt in my mind you get what you pay for when springing for Oakley sunglasses.*

*Homebiscuit has received no compensation, real or implied, with this endorsement.

(03-24-2024, 11:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I received the replacement lenses and have to say I'm happy with them. My biggest concern was they would be cheap quality knockoffs with wavy optics and inconsistent tint, but that isn't the case. They fit well into the Oakley frames and the optics are as good as the originals. I've read online that the mirror coating on these wears off fairly quickly, which is something I'll watch out for. If so, I'll probably spring for a set of Oakley lenses even though the price is high. But in the eight years or so that I've owned them, they've shown no signs of wear, and the optics are flawless. There's no doubt in my mind you get what you pay for when springing for Oakley sunglasses.*

*Homebiscuit has received no compensation, real or implied, with this endorsement.

If they show no signs of wear and the optics are flawless, why replace the lenses?  This sounds suspiciously like a paid advertisement.  Anyway, thanks for being a valued customer and here's an extra complimentary pair. 

[Image: oakleyradarevpathsunglassessplattersampic1.jpg]
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-24-2024, 12:16 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-24-2024, 11:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I received the replacement lenses and have to say I'm happy with them. My biggest concern was they would be cheap quality knockoffs with wavy optics and inconsistent tint, but that isn't the case. They fit well into the Oakley frames and the optics are as good as the originals. I've read online that the mirror coating on these wears off fairly quickly, which is something I'll watch out for. If so, I'll probably spring for a set of Oakley lenses even though the price is high. But in the eight years or so that I've owned them, they've shown no signs of wear, and the optics are flawless. There's no doubt in my mind you get what you pay for when springing for Oakley sunglasses.*

If they show no signs of wear and the optics are flawless, why replace the lenses?  This sounds suspiciously like a paid advertisement.  Anyway, thanks for being a valued customer and here's an extra complimentary pair. 

I work my fingers to the bone for you people. All you can offer is a pair of (fabulous!) sunglasses I already own? 

*Review edited to remove one star.

HomeBiscuit with his Fox 30 Steals n' Deals..

Bubblegum Sunglasses..

You need these!!

$99.99

$98.99

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(03-24-2024, 12:49 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-24-2024, 12:16 PM)Sneakers Wrote: If they show no signs of wear and the optics are flawless, why replace the lenses?  This sounds suspiciously like a paid advertisement.  Anyway, thanks for being a valued customer and here's an extra complimentary pair. 

I work my fingers to the bone for you people. All you can offer is a pair of (fabulous!) sunglasses I already own? 

*Review edited to remove one star.

Relax, I'll buy them from you, my daughter needs a new pair.  She'll be the envy of the whole 3rd grade!  

P.S.  No need to get personal, that star remark was just cold.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Apart =/= a part
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-24-2024, 02:47 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Apart =/= a part

resign != re-sign

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Why do people in sci-fi movies, set in a time or a place with advanced technology, fight with swords?

Has anyone else noticed that some restaurants are slipping some sort of fee into your bill AFTER you have finished your meal? I've seen it before, but I've never made a scene or refused to pay it. But it really irks me, and it seems like fraud. If the menu says the meal is $15, and the bill says $15, plus a small fee, plus tax, it seems like they just don't want to tell you that meal was actually $17, not $15.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2024/03/28...ee-fiasco/

(03-28-2024, 01:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Has anyone else noticed that some restaurants are slipping some sort of fee into your bill AFTER you have finished your meal?  I've seen it before, but I've never made a scene or refused to pay it.  But it really irks me, and it seems like fraud.  If the menu says the meal is $15, and the bill says $15, plus a small fee, plus tax, it seems like they just don't want to tell you that meal was actually $17, not $15. 

In this case they can blame the government for imposing their will upon restaurant owners. 

A city here in NC passed a law that requires restaurants to charge a 1% tax on anything ordered. That 1% will go to the city for various things. I thought that's why people pay taxes. The city likely mismanaged money over the years (decades) and now they're trying to make up for their incompetence. 

We eat at a restaurant maybe once or twice a year and it's a local joint. I hate what the pandemic, government interference and inflation has done to this country.

(03-28-2024, 08:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-28-2024, 01:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Has anyone else noticed that some restaurants are slipping some sort of fee into your bill AFTER you have finished your meal?  I've seen it before, but I've never made a scene or refused to pay it.  But it really irks me, and it seems like fraud.  If the menu says the meal is $15, and the bill says $15, plus a small fee, plus tax, it seems like they just don't want to tell you that meal was actually $17, not $15. 

In this case they can blame the government for imposing their will upon restaurant owners. 

A city here in NC passed a law that requires restaurants to charge a 1% tax on anything ordered. That 1% will go to the city for various things. I thought that's why people pay taxes. The city likely mismanaged money over the years (decades) and now they're trying to make up for their incompetence. 

We eat at a restaurant maybe once or twice a year and it's a local joint. I hate what the pandemic, government interference and inflation has done to this country.

They can blame the government all they want, but sneaking a charge onto the bill, AFTER I ate the meal, and calling it something like "Kitchen Appreciation Charge" is dishonest.

I’ll have to start looking at my restaurant bills from now on to see if they’re sneaking this stuff in there. I’m a fairly generous tipper, but I draw the line at getting my pockets picked.

(03-29-2024, 08:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-28-2024, 08:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: In this case they can blame the government for imposing their will upon restaurant owners. 

They can blame the government all they want, but sneaking a charge onto the bill, AFTER I ate the meal, and calling it something like "Kitchen Appreciation Charge" is dishonest.

Not sure about Florida, but pretty sure in certain states it's illegal to do that if it's not posted somewhere.

One big annoyance to me is how the local media hyped this eclipse so much.

Are your pets safe?

Were you OK driving?

Etc., etc., etc.

I came up from doing some service on one of my tractors earlier and mentioned to my wife that "the eclipse is happening now".  She responded that she forgot that it was happening today.  She just assumed that somebody nearby must be burning something since the sunlight was kind of dimmed.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I don't think I watched the eclipse correctly. I can barely see and the roof of my mouth is sunburnt.

Broadcasting the men’s NCAA championship game after 9:00 PM on a Monday night. I watched the first half and part of the second half before going to bed.

(04-08-2024, 04:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: One big annoyance to me is how the local media hyped this eclipse so much.

Are your pets safe?

Were you OK driving?

Etc., etc., etc.

I came up from doing some service on one of my tractors earlier and mentioned to my wife that "the eclipse is happening now".  She responded that she forgot that it was happening today.  She just assumed that somebody nearby must be burning something since the sunlight was kind of dimmed.

Weather forecasting took over where yellow journalism left off.

We're going to start naming cloudy days before long.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2024, 07:07 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-08-2024, 04:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: One big annoyance to me is how the local media hyped this eclipse so much.

Are your pets safe?

Were you OK driving?

Etc., etc., etc.

Living in Texas was an advantage for a change.  It was way cool seeing damn close to a total eclipse.  I'm glad I went out of my way to watch it.  We were only 30ish miles away from being in total darkness, but I was quite pleased with my viewing spot up on the turnaround on the hill next to our 14th green.

On a related note...I was getting tired of the phrase 'path of totality'.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]