Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

Single-use plastic bags.

I'm talking about the kind of plastic bags you get to carry your stuff out of the store at Publix or Wal-Mart and many other stores. I am mildly annoyed at myself, actually. I try to be environmentally conscious, and yet I (and wife of course) cannot wean myself away from these things. They are so handy. They fit all our little trash cans, and it's so easy to just tie the trash up in them and put them in the big trash can for the trash people to come and pick up.

These are the things that wind up out in the ocean to be eaten by marine mammals who mistake them for jellyfish. They also wind up in landfills where they will be for the rest of all time.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-05-2020, 08:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Single-use plastic bags.

I'm talking about the kind of plastic bags you get to carry your stuff out of the store at Publix or Wal-Mart and many other stores.   I am mildly annoyed at myself, actually.  I try to be environmentally conscious, and yet I (and wife of course) cannot wean myself away from these things.  They are so handy.  They fit all our little trash cans, and it's so easy to just tie the trash up in them and put them in the big trash can for the trash people to come and pick up.  

These are the things that wind up out in the ocean to be eaten by marine mammals who mistake them for jellyfish.  They also wind up in landfills where they will be for the rest of all time.

Vermont is one state that has banned the use of plastic bags in grocery stores.  

We likewise reuse ours for trash can liners, poop scooping when walking the dog, etc.  If not for getting them at the checkout, we would be buying something similar for the same purpose in the household goods isle (minimal change in environmental impact).
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I use jellyfish to carry my groceries.

(12-05-2020, 09:49 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I use jellyfish to carry my groceries.

That's a stinging reply.

(12-05-2020, 10:02 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 09:49 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I use jellyfish to carry my groceries.

That's a stinging reply.

I saw no harm in floating it out there.

I'm talking about the kind of plastic bags you get to carry your stuff out of the store at Publix or Wal-Mart and many other stores.   I am mildly annoyed at myself, actually.  I try to be environmentally conscious, and yet I (and wife of course) cannot wean myself away from these things.  They are so handy.  They fit all our little trash cans, and it's so easy to just tie the trash up in them and put them in the big trash can for the trash people to come and pick up.  

These are the things that wind up out in the ocean to be eaten by marine mammals who mistake them for jellyfish.  They also wind up in landfills where they will be for the rest of all time.

This is a great example of how the "green" movement is so wrong.  Groceries and other items used to be put in paper bags which could also serve the same second use and will decompose.  We saved a tree (which would eventually die, decompose and help the land) at the expense of marine animals.

Along the same lines... who is the genius that decided that we needed the "safe" spouts on fuel cans?  I spill and waste more fuel when trying to use those stupid things.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-05-2020, 10:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 10:02 AM)Sneakers Wrote: That's a stinging reply.

I saw no harm in floating it out there.

3 days without reply.............looks like your joke is all washed up.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2020, 05:57 PM by mikesez.)

They do get eaten by whales and sea turtles.  That's a big problem.
But that's not because we use too many of them.
That's because we litter.
If those things just end up in the landfill, no harm no foul.  Who cares if they take up space underground? Those petrochemicals were taking up space underground before we extracted them.
We had problems with poorly designed landfills in the 1970s, and a lot of old landfills were all filling up.
But now there are lots of new, much safer landfills with plenty of room.
Plastic in landfills is way way way down the list of environmental concerns.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-08-2020, 05:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:

If those things just end up in the landfill, no harm no foul.  Who cares if they take up space underground? Those petrochemicals were taking up space underground before we extracted them.
We had problems with poorly designed landfills in the 1970s, and a lot of old landfills were all filling up.

Once again you are wrong (as usual).  Here's a little experiment for you.  Bury a plastic bag and a few yards away bury a paper bag.  Go back a year later and see which one is still there and intact.

The paper bag (if any of it is left) will have decomposed and added nutrients to the earth.  The plastic bag will still be intact and will still be made of toxic petrochemicals should their composition end up in the water table.

The bottom line is "environmentalists" were wrong when they phased out paper bags.  They wanted to "save trees" which are a natural reproducing resource.  You also see places like California having issues with wildfires every year due to mismanagement of forests.  Thinning trees and burning underbrush regularly would prevent a lot of their problem.

Why anyone thinks that plastic in a landfill is "no harm no foul" is beyond me.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2020, 06:54 PM by mikesez.)

(12-08-2020, 06:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 05:55 PM)mikesez Wrote: They do get eaten by whales and sea turtles.  That's a big problem.

Once again you are wrong (as usual).  Here's a little experiment for you.  Bury a plastic bag and a few yards away bury a paper bag.  Go back a year later and see which one is still there and intact.

The paper bag (if any of it is left) will have decomposed and added nutrients to the earth.  The plastic bag will still be intact and will still be made of toxic petrochemicals should their composition end up in the water table.

The bottom line is "environmentalists" were wrong when they phased out paper bags.  They wanted to "save trees" which are a natural reproducing resource.  You also see places like California having issues with wildfires every year due to mismanagement of forests.  Thinning trees and burning underbrush regularly would prevent a lot of their problem.

Why anyone thinks that plastic in a landfill is "no harm no foul" is beyond me.

Most single use plastic bags are HDPE.
If you bury them, yes they remain there for thousands of years.
But nothing is leeching. There are no plasticizers or solvents there.
It's inert.
Even if things are leached, there are layers upon layers of Liners in modern landfills (the liners also are generally HDPE, sometimes LDPE). The groundwater is not getting contaminated, at least not by them.
I agree that paper bags might be a better choice.
My dad was always irritated that paper bags were getting harder and harder to find when I was growing up. so I do understand where you're coming from.
But plastic bags are not harming the environment, as long as they make it to the landfill.

(12-08-2020, 05:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Ugh.   Don’t try to bombard the sideline with your antics, man.  -1 for you!  What? Did you think you’d come over here to raise your rep? Haha.

(12-08-2020, 07:45 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 05:55 PM)mikesez Wrote: They do get eaten by whales and sea turtles.  That's a big problem.
Ugh.   Don’t try to bombard the sideline with your antics, man.  -1 for you!  What? Did you think you’d come over here to raise your rep? Haha.

It is impossible to do a good job for a customer who demands less.

It is impossible to be accepted with truthful testimony by those who believe lies.

Only love can drive out hate, but love is conveyed by a personal connection, and a personal connection is nearly impossible to find on a message board.  So if you let hate get a foothold in internet message board land, nothing will drive it out unless you leave or they leave.

Polyethylene does not leech toxins into groundwater.

(12-08-2020, 07:59 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 07:45 PM)Jags Wrote: Ugh.   Don’t try to bombard the sideline with your antics, man.  -1 for you!  What? Did you think you’d come over here to raise your rep? Haha.

It is impossible to be accepted with truthful testimony by those who believe lies.

Only love can drive out hate, but love is conveyed by a personal connection, and a personal connection is nearly impossible to find on a message board.  So if you let hate get a foothold in internet message board land, nothing will drive it out unless you leave or they leave.

Well, here’s to hoping “they” leave!  Carry on.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2020, 08:23 PM by mikesez.)

(12-08-2020, 08:02 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 07:59 PM)mikesez Wrote: It is impossible to do a good job for a customer who demands less.

Well, here’s to hoping “they” leave!  Carry on.

I'm not here to talk about myself.
Why do you guys keep making threads about me?

Polyethylene doesn't pollute groundwater.

(12-08-2020, 07:45 PM)Jags Wrote: Ugh.   Don’t try to bombard the sideline with your antics, man.  -1 for you!  What? Did you think you’d come over here to raise your rep? Haha.

Mish mashed philosophical absolutes are an annoyance. 

The first statement is nonsense. A good salesman can sell KIAs as well as Bentleys and satisfy the customer in both instances.

The second statement is plain old dumb. Just because you have the truth sometimes doesn't mean you always have it. Just because a man believes one lie doesn't mean he believes all lies. 

The third statement is bland naivete. Hatred of evil can drive out evil, and you can use 7.62mm to eliminate it.

The last statement is not a fact, I read several studies of pollution in a public health class a few years ago that demonstrate the presence of microplastics (as part of a larger pool of contaminants) in groundwater around the USA. 3 minutes of the goggles gets a study from last year that found them in aquifers in Illinois. The question of harm from these contaminants at their current concentration is undetermined, but their toxicity to humans and the environment along with their presence in the source of roughly 25% of our drinking water is not.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Years ago DD used to organize bowling nights on the board. 

Beyond that I'm always surprised more Jacksonvillians don't meet up for away games or whatever. There's lots of you characters I'd have a drink with, in fact Rico nearly made me miss the Buffalo playoff game  Big Grin

(12-11-2020, 04:53 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 07:59 PM)mikesez Wrote: It is impossible to do a good job for a customer who demands less.

Years ago DD used to organize bowling nights on the board. 

Beyond that I'm always surprised more Jacksonvillians don't meet up for away games or whatever. There's lots of you characters I'd have a drink with, in fact Rico nearly made me miss the Buffalo playoff game  Big Grin

From my recollection, it didn't take a lot of arm-twisting.   Banana
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-11-2020, 05:07 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 04:53 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Years ago DD used to organize bowling nights on the board. 

From my recollection, it didn't take a lot of arm-twisting.   Banana

The first drive was a little murky but I rallied.

(12-11-2020, 05:49 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 05:07 PM)RicoTx Wrote: From my recollection, it didn't take a lot of arm-twisting.   Banana

The first drive was a little murky but I rallied.

I prefer to blame all of my pre-game woes in NYC4Jags whether it's his fault or not.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-11-2020, 06:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 05:49 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: The first drive was a little murky but I rallied.

I prefer to blame all of my pre-game woes in NYC4Jags whether it's his fault or not.

I blamed him for everything post game  Big Grin