Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(12-11-2020, 08:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 07:59 PM)mikesez Wrote: It is impossible to do a good job for a customer who demands less.

It is impossible to be accepted with truthful testimony by those who believe lies.

Only love can drive out hate, but love is conveyed by a personal connection, and a personal connection is nearly impossible to find on a message board.  So if you let hate get a foothold in internet message board land, nothing will drive it out unless you leave or they leave.

Polyethylene does not leech toxins into groundwater.

Mish mashed philosophical absolutes are an annoyance. 

The first statement is nonsense. A good salesman can sell KIAs as well as Bentleys and satisfy the customer in both instances.

The second statement is plain old dumb. Just because you have the truth sometimes doesn't mean you always have it. Just because a man believes one lie doesn't mean he believes all lies. 

The third statement is bland naivete. Hatred of evil can drive out evil, and you can use 7.62mm to eliminate it.

The last statement is not a fact, I read several studies of pollution in a public health class a few years ago that demonstrate the presence of microplastics (as part of a larger pool of contaminants) in groundwater around the USA. 3 minutes of the goggles gets a study from last year that found them in aquifers in Illinois. The question of harm from these contaminants at their current concentration is undetermined, but their toxicity to humans and the environment along with their presence in the source of roughly 25% of our drinking water is not.

Thank you for the reply.

A Kia is not a "bad" car.  It goes, and it's safe.  I deliver clients Kia type projects and Audi type projects.  What I try to avoid are clients who want to do the impossible, or want to endanger human health and safety.  To the extent I deliver to them, they get something they didn't initially want, and I have to risk them leaving me unsatisfied.

The second statement is obviously implying that the lie and the truth are on the same topic.

The third statement is a famous quote from MLK Jr, so take that up with him.

Microplastics can be found everywhere, yes.  They enter the body.  They also leave it.  Seriously, you never see alarmist articles about these kinds of things in human waste.  If the level in water and food is similar to the level in excrement, it's hard to see the harm. They are inert until proven otherwise.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-11-2020, 08:34 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 08:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Mish mashed philosophical absolutes are an annoyance. 

The first statement is nonsense. A good salesman can sell KIAs as well as Bentleys and satisfy the customer in both instances.

The second statement is plain old dumb. Just because you have the truth sometimes doesn't mean you always have it. Just because a man believes one lie doesn't mean he believes all lies. 

The third statement is bland naivete. Hatred of evil can drive out evil, and you can use 7.62mm to eliminate it.

The last statement is not a fact, I read several studies of pollution in a public health class a few years ago that demonstrate the presence of microplastics (as part of a larger pool of contaminants) in groundwater around the USA. 3 minutes of the goggles gets a study from last year that found them in aquifers in Illinois. The question of harm from these contaminants at their current concentration is undetermined, but their toxicity to humans and the environment along with their presence in the source of roughly 25% of our drinking water is not.

Thank you for the reply.

A Kia is not a "bad" car.  It goes, and it's safe.  I deliver clients Kia type projects and Audi type projects.  What I try to avoid are clients who want to do the impossible, or want to endanger human health and safety.  To the extent I deliver to them, they get something they didn't initially want, and I have to risk them leaving me unsatisfied.

The second statement is obviously implying that the lie and the truth are on the same topic.

Microplastics can be found everywhere, yes.  They enter the body.  They also leave it.  Seriously, you never see alarmist articles about these kinds of things in human waste.  If the level in water and food is similar to the level in excrement, it's hard to see the harm. They are inert until proven otherwise.

And who is measuring the level of microplastics in human waste?  I bet they gave that job to an intern.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2020, 11:43 AM by homebiscuit.)

Getting ripped off by Amazon with no apparent recourse.

I just spent a chunk of change buying all new speakers for my system and ordered a 100' spool of 16ga speaker wire. I get the first and most distant surround speaker wire all run and as I'm looking at the spool, it seems to be looking a little thin. I start running the wire for the second surround speaker and I come up far short of the amount of wire needed. Measuring out the wire already run, there was only a little more than 50' on the spool.
I've discovered from a problem with a previous purchase that the customer doesn't talk to Amazon, Amazon talks to the customer. It seems my only recourse is to return the wire for a refund. That ain't happening because what I've run is already though my wall and tucked under the carpet along the baseboard. Several hours of work.

So off I go to Best Buy to get more wire to finish the job. I'm not happy, Amazon! (shakes fist)

Update: I found a customer service chat. They wanted me to return the wire but several hours have been spent installing a bunch already. I asked for a partial refund for the difference between a 50 and 100ft spool. They're giving me a full refund. I'm still not completely happy. I was hoping to have this project finished last night without having to travel across town to get more. At least I got my money back.

(12-12-2020, 11:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Getting ripped off by Amazon with no apparent recourse.

I just spent a chunk of change buying all new speakers for my system and ordered a 100' spool of 16ga speaker wire. I get the first and most distant surround speaker wire all run and as I'm looking at the spool, it seems to be looking a little thin. I start running the wire for the second surround speaker and I come up far short of the amount of wire needed. Measuring out the wire already run, there was only a little more than 50' on the spool.
I've discovered from a problem with a previous purchase that the customer doesn't talk to Amazon, Amazon talks to the customer. It seems my only recourse is to return the wire for a refund. That ain't happening because what I've run is already though my wall and tucked under the carpet along the baseboard. Several hours of work.

So off I go to Best Buy to get more wire to finish the job. I'm not happy, Amazon! (shakes fist)

Update: I found a customer service chat. They wanted me to return the wire but several hours have been spent installing a bunch already. I asked for a partial refund for the difference between a 50 and 100ft spool. They're giving me a full refund. I'm still not completely happy. I was hoping to have this project finished last night without having to travel across town to get more. At least I got my money back.

Wired speakers.......how quaint.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(12-12-2020, 08:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 08:34 PM)mikesez Wrote: Thank you for the reply.

And who is measuring the level of microplastics in human waste?  I bet they gave that job to an intern.

Meh, I've done worse.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-12-2020, 12:09 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 11:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Getting ripped off by Amazon with no apparent recourse.

Wired speakers.......how quaint.

Are wireless speakers truly wireless?

(12-12-2020, 02:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 12:09 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Wired speakers.......how quaint.

If you're standing next to the TV, are you truly using a "remote"?
If there are four speakers, is it truly "surround" sound?
Is one picture truly "in" the other picture?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(12-12-2020, 02:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 12:09 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Wired speakers.......how quaint.

I’m with the biscuit on this.  This is one of a few areas I prefer the old school method.  Especially if you’re willing to run the wires neatly and cleanly.  I’ve had nothing but problems with most of the speakers I’ve had that ran via Bluetooth. With the exception of my Bose mini.  Everything else works off the bat then craps out on me or can’t connect for some stupid reason.  I spent ooka boo bucks on a Samsung sound bar and sub. Q90 sound bar to match the TV.   Worked 3 months and took a poop.  .  No problem, under warranty.  Except that hundreds of others had the same problem and Samsung didn’t help them either.

(12-12-2020, 09:11 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 02:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Are wireless speakers truly wireless?

I’m with the biscuit on this.  This is one of a few areas I prefer the old school method.  Especially if you’re willing to run the wires neatly and cleanly.  I’ve had nothing but problems with most of the speakers I’ve had that ran via Bluetooth. With the exception of my Bose mini.  Everything else works off the bat then craps out on me or can’t connect for some stupid reason.  I spent ooka boo bucks on a Samsung sound bar and sub. Q90 sound bar to match the TV.   Worked 3 months and took a poop.  .  No problem, under warranty.  Except that hundreds of others had the same problem and Samsung didn’t help them either.

I'll take wired speakers any day. Mine are used for music as well as TV. The wires are hidden so it looks good and plays good. I have the Deion Sanders system. 

Wireless speakers are still wired because they have to be powered. Either by a power wire or battery which has to be plugged in for charging.

(12-13-2020, 11:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 09:11 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m with the biscuit on this.  This is one of a few areas I prefer the old school method.  Especially if you’re willing to run the wires neatly and cleanly.  I’ve had nothing but problems with most of the speakers I’ve had that ran via Bluetooth. With the exception of my Bose mini.  Everything else works off the bat then craps out on me or can’t connect for some stupid reason.  I spent ooka boo bucks on a Samsung sound bar and sub. Q90 sound bar to match the TV.   Worked 3 months and took a poop.  .  No problem, under warranty.  Except that hundreds of others had the same problem and Samsung didn’t help them either.

I'll take wired speakers any day. Mine are used for music as well as TV. The wires are hidden so it looks good and plays good. I have the Deion Sanders system. 

Wireless speakers are still wired because they have to be powered. Either by a power wire or battery which has to be plugged in for charging.

Wired is preferred if the amplifier is of good to high quality. With wireless, the amplifier resides in the speakers, so why waste money being redundant by buying quality wireless speakers if your amp is quality?  And a hand wired tube amplifier wired to high quality speakers will bury any wireless system.

(12-13-2020, 05:12 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 11:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'll take wired speakers any day. Mine are used for music as well as TV. The wires are hidden so it looks good and plays good. I have the Deion Sanders system. 

Wired is preferred if the amplifier is of good to high quality. With wireless, the amplifier resides in the speakers, so why waste money being redundant by buying quality wireless speakers if your amp is quality?  And a hand wired tube amplifier wired to high quality speakers will bury any wireless system.

Yep. I have a Denon AV receiver that kicks out 80 per channel. Not a house shaker but plenty good enough, especially with the right speakers. I've got Bose 301s for the front and Polk for the surround, center, and subwoofer. I'm very happy with it.

(12-13-2020, 06:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 05:12 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Wired is preferred if the amplifier is of good to high quality. With wireless, the amplifier resides in the speakers, so why waste money being redundant by buying quality wireless speakers if your amp is quality?  And a hand wired tube amplifier wired to high quality speakers will bury any wireless system.

Yep. I have a Denon AV receiver that kicks out 80 per channel. Not a house shaker but plenty good enough, especially with the right speakers. I've got Bose 301s for the front and Polk for the surround, center, and subwoofer. I'm very happy with it.

Also, I should mention a key component of any system is room treatment. I've had friends eager to show me their superb sound system, then I see their untreated room and wonder if they can't hear frequencies being comb filtered by room reflections and bass frequencies varying in amplitude because it's building up in the corners.

(12-13-2020, 07:59 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 06:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Yep. I have a Denon AV receiver that kicks out 80 per channel. Not a house shaker but plenty good enough, especially with the right speakers. I've got Bose 301s for the front and Polk for the surround, center, and subwoofer. I'm very happy with it.

Also, I should mention a key component of any system is room treatment. I've had friends eager to show me their superb sound system, then I see their untreated room and wonder if they can't hear frequencies being comb filtered by room reflections and bass frequencies varying in amplitude because it's building up in the corners.
Whaaaaat???? I won’t judge, you seem to be an audiophile.   That’s cool.  But what in the world did you just say?

(12-13-2020, 08:36 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 07:59 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Also, I should mention a key component of any system is room treatment. I've had friends eager to show me their superb sound system, then I see their untreated room and wonder if they can't hear frequencies being comb filtered by room reflections and bass frequencies varying in amplitude because it's building up in the corners.
Whaaaaat???? I won’t judge, you seem to be an audiophile.   That’s cool.  But what in the world did you just say?

Consider yourself sitting in a room facing an audio source. There are two paths from the speaker to your ears; one directly from the speaker to your ears, the other from the speaker, then off the walls, then to your ears. The latter is called room reflections. And these reflections reach your ear slightly later than the direct path. Due to phase cancellation, a comb filtering effect happens, similar to what's heard with audio phaser effects. Bass and lower mid-range frequencies can build up in what's called room modes. This is because the are natural resonances in any room. Basically, a room can become a speaker as it moves with the audio being played in it.

(12-13-2020, 09:08 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 08:36 PM)Jags Wrote: Whaaaaat???? I won’t judge, you seem to be an audiophile.   That’s cool.  But what in the world did you just say?

Consider yourself sitting in a room facing an audio source. There are two paths from the speaker to your ears; one directly from the speaker to your ears, the other from the speaker, then off the walls, then to your ears. The latter is called room reflections. And these reflections reach your ear slightly later than the direct path. Due to phase cancellation, a comb filtering effect happens, similar to what's heard with audio phaser effects. Bass and lower mid-range frequencies can build up in what's called room modes. This is because the are natural resonances in any room. Basically, a room can become a speaker as it moves with the audio being played in it.
How do you treat it? You put sound deadening material on the walls?

(12-13-2020, 11:00 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 09:08 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Consider yourself sitting in a room facing an audio source. There are two paths from the speaker to your ears; one directly from the speaker to your ears, the other from the speaker, then off the walls, then to your ears. The latter is called room reflections. And these reflections reach your ear slightly later than the direct path. Due to phase cancellation, a comb filtering effect happens, similar to what's heard with audio phaser effects. Bass and lower mid-range frequencies can build up in what's called room modes. This is because the are natural resonances in any room. Basically, a room can become a speaker as it moves with the audio being played in it.

Yes, sound absorbing panels for reflections and corner bass traps for room modes. Reflections can also be thwarted by multi-depth surfaces. Anything that will break up the waveform from reflecting back to your ears. It should be noted that this takes measuring relative to the listening position in the room. There are guides on the web that helps with this.

(12-13-2020, 11:00 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 09:08 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Consider yourself sitting in a room facing an audio source. There are two paths from the speaker to your ears; one directly from the speaker to your ears, the other from the speaker, then off the walls, then to your ears. The latter is called room reflections. And these reflections reach your ear slightly later than the direct path. Due to phase cancellation, a comb filtering effect happens, similar to what's heard with audio phaser effects. Bass and lower mid-range frequencies can build up in what's called room modes. This is because the are natural resonances in any room. Basically, a room can become a speaker as it moves with the audio being played in it.

It's mostly baffling. One issue I have with modern restaurant design is that they are theming the rooms with all hard surfaces and that generates every increasing levels of crowd noise making most restaurants too loud to enjoy the meal and conversation.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-14-2020, 11:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 11:00 PM)mikesez Wrote: How do you treat it? You put sound deadening material on the walls?

It's mostly baffling. One issue I have with modern restaurant design is that they are theming the rooms with all hard surfaces and that generates every increasing levels of crowd noise making most restaurants too loud to enjoy the meal and conversation.

Five Guys restaurants are the worst because of their industrial design. The burgers are awesome, the ambient noise becomes unbearable after a while.

(12-14-2020, 11:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 11:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's mostly baffling. One issue I have with modern restaurant design is that they are theming the rooms with all hard surfaces and that generates every increasing levels of crowd noise making most restaurants too loud to enjoy the meal and conversation.

Five Guys restaurants are the worst because of their industrial design. The burgers are awesome, the ambient noise becomes unbearable after a while.

I've noticed that too. I thought I was just getting old.
Maybe these baffle surfaces they used to use are harder to clean?

(12-14-2020, 11:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 11:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's mostly baffling. One issue I have with modern restaurant design is that they are theming the rooms with all hard surfaces and that generates every increasing levels of crowd noise making most restaurants too loud to enjoy the meal and conversation.

All La Nopalera restaurants are like this too I’ve noticed! You can’t even hear yourself think in them...or maybe that because of the tequila. Tomato/tomahto
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???