Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(01-23-2018, 10:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: People who have to preface their statements with things like,

"You want to know why?  I'm gonna tell you.  Here's why."  

Yes, if you listen to 1010xl, you know the guy who does this.  He can't just make a statement without first announcing that he's going to make a statement.

Time to dust off and Oldie But a Goodie!

"Look, it was, without a doubt, and I'm sure you understand, but really, I honestly think, that, no matter what anyone else says, and this is just my opinion obviously, but it was just a phenomenal and I...mean...phe...no...men...al time for those of us who had, and by those of us I mean people all around the Frangie house at, you know, Jax Golf and Country Club where I live, the course is in the best shape I've ever seen I tell you, and Ballou I'll let you speak on this in a minute, but just hear me here, it was the most, and I do mean most, difficult decision my wife has ever made for me when we decided to put my mom in a home."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-23-2018, 02:28 PM)I flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 10:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: People who have to preface their statements with things like,

Yes, if you listen to 1010xl, you know the guy who does this.  He can't just make a statement without first announcing that he's going to make a statement.

"Look, it was, without a doubt, and I'm sure you understand, but really, I honestly think, that, no matter what anyone else says, and this is just my opinion obviously, but it was just a phenomenal and I...mean...phe...no...men...al time for those of us who had, and by those of us I mean people all around the Frangie house at, you know, Jax Golf and Country Club where I live, the course is in the best shape I've ever seen I tell you, and Ballou I'll let you speak on this in a minute, but just hear me here, it was the most, and I do mean most, difficult decision my wife has ever made for me when we decided to put my mom in a home."

I can hear his voice as I read this.

(01-23-2018, 02:28 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Spot on.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2018, 08:11 AM by The Real Marty.)

(01-23-2018, 02:28 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Actually, I was talking about T-wig.   He constantly prefaces his statements as if he's about to dispense some pearl of wisdom and he wants to make sure we're all paying attention.   "You wanna know why?  I'm gonna tell you.  Here it is.  You ready?"  

But I agree with you about Frangie. 

I can't listen to these guys any more because you have to wade through 500 words to hear what they could have said in 10 words or less.   Are they being paid by the word?   I know it's talk radio, but the ratio of words to actual ideas is about 1000 to 1. 

But then yesterday I flipped to the other channel and listened to Harp on Sports and he took about 10 minutes to say something to the effect that he thought the Jags were going to ask for a roof over the stadium.  Long pauses between sentences, and never quite getting to the point until about 10 minutes later he finally gets to the point. 

"The Jaguars have more power now than ever..."
[long pause]
"And they're going to use that power."
[long pause]
"You know it's coming..."
[long pause]
"Other teams have asked for new stadiums..."
[long pause]
And this goes on for about 10 minutes.  Only reason I'm listening is because I'm driving in my car and I'm curious.  What earth shattering news is he about to deliver?   
FINALLY, he gets to the point. 
"They're going to want a roof over the stadium." 

Okay, great, they want a roof over the stadium.   Great idea.  Let's get a roof over the stadium.   Couldn't you have said that about 10 minutes ago?

(01-24-2018, 08:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 02:28 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Time to dust off and Oldie But a Goodie!

Actually, I was talking about T-wig.   He constantly prefaces his statements as if he's about to dispense some pearl of wisdom and he wants to make sure we're all paying attention.   "You wanna know why?  I'm gonna tell you.  Here it is.  You ready?"  

But I agree with you about Frangie. 

I can't listen to these guys any more because you have to wade through 500 words to hear what they could have said in 10 words or less.   Are they being paid by the word?   I know it's talk radio, but the ratio of words to actual ideas is about 1000 to 1. 

But then yesterday I flipped to the other channel and listened to Harp on Sports and he took about 10 minutes to say something to the effect that he thought the Jags were going to ask for a roof over the stadium.  Long pauses between sentences, and never quite getting to the point until about 10 minutes later he finally gets to the point. 

"The Jaguars have more power now than ever..."
[long pause]
"And they're going to use that power."
[long pause]
"You know it's coming..."
[long pause]
"Other teams have asked for new stadiums..."
[long pause]
And this goes on for about 10 minutes.  Only reason I'm listening is because I'm driving in my car and I'm curious.  What earth shattering news is he about to deliver?   
FINALLY, he gets to the point. 
"They're going to want a roof over the stadium." 

Okay, great, they want a roof over the stadium.   Great idea.  Let's get a roof over the stadium.   Couldn't you have said that about 10 minutes ago?

I'm with you, the old quote was just germane to the whole thing. Yesterday afternoon the discussion what about what each person thought would happen with each position in the offseason. Frangie took his normal 30,000 repetitive words to say what he thought about Bortles, then whoever was next said, "I don't think that" and Frangie went off on his tangent again, then the next person said, "I kind of agree with Frank" and Frangie started, "And by that I meant..." repeated the his position again, then the girl went and he repeated his point AGAIN!!!! I just couldn't do that for another hour, I turned on The Beatles' Let It Be to hear less repetition in the lyrics.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I don't listen to Jax sports radio much but there is one guy in the evening who says someone entire name about 30 times while he's making a point. Ex. he was talking about the defense..."that Gus Bradley put together and Gus Bradley knows these guys who were mostly drafted when Gus Bradley was here and Gus Bradley instructed them and who knows their weaknesses? Gus Bradley."

Enough, on to "...Mother Mary came to me, singing songs of wisdom, let it be...let it be."
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

LOL..... Frankie Two Times ..... he says everything twice.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018, 06:41 PM by Sammy.)

Every news organization that uses the acronym IS, ISIS, or ISIL, and THEN go on to elaborate with the full version of their name (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) like we never knew what the acronym stood for.  Thank you for clearing that up after 7 years, I thought ISIS was an acronym for "Idiots Supporting Idiots Service"  ... Which does make sense if ISIS is one of those news services.

We know who/what  IS/ISIS/ISIL  stands for ... Just use one of the acronyms and move on, already.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2018, 07:45 AM by The Real Marty.)

Super Bowl bull [BLEEP].  There's a game in there somewhere.  An actual championship game.   But it's buried in bull [BLEEP].

I guess I'll be working in the yard os something until 6:40 on Sunday.  I'm not watching all that bull [BLEEP].

(02-01-2018, 07:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Super Bowl bull [BLEEP].  There's a game in there somewhere.  An actual championship game.   But it's buried in bull [BLEEP].

I guess I'll be working in the yard os something until 6:40 on Sunday.  I'm not watching all that bull [BLEEP].

I've always enjoyed AFC/NFC Championship weekend more. They drag their tired, broken bodies in and fight tooth and nail for the right to go to the SB.

Then comes the 2 week media circus, endless discussion of what players eat, what they do in their down time, blah, blah, endless blah. Then comes the game finally, with its endless commercials over about 6 hours.

When you pull out of a parking spot and there’s a car waaaay down the aisle. You’re halfway out of your spot and that car says, nope, I’m going to pass you.

When the person you're with pulls into a tight parking space between 2 cars instead of passing the space and parking in one of the 50 empty spaces about 20 yards further.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018, 09:43 AM by The Real Marty.)

Spraying my own face with mud.  

Probably every golfer has experienced this phenomenon.

Acid reflux.

Ugh. It's been tearing me up lately. Not fun.

Still feeling like crap but having to be at work.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-06-2018, 04:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Acid reflux.

Ugh.  It's been tearing me up lately.  Not fun.

Ain't that the truth. I started having it consistently about five years ago. Turns out I have a hiatal hernia. Have been on Protonix ever since, and rarely get it now.

Acid reflux is very dangerous, left untreated it can change the tissue of the esophagus and cause Barrett's Syndrome which basically is the precursor to esophageal cancer.

At the bottom of the esophagus is a ring called the lower esophageal sphincter or LES. When you lie down at night, the LES can relax and allow stomach contents to flow back into the esophagus and even all the way back into your mouth. The acid which comes up not only damages the tissue along the way but can also cause serious tooth decay.

In addition to normal relaxation of the LES, there are 4 major triggers which make it relax even more:
- chocolate
- mint
- caffeine
- nobody will like this one: alcohol

If you are having trouble with "heartburn"/acid reflux, see your doctor and...focus on stopping the four items listed (2 of them should be easy, the 4th is a battle). If you are having frequent problems with this, see the doctor now.

(02-06-2018, 07:37 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 04:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Acid reflux.

Ugh.  It's been tearing me up lately.  Not fun.

Ain't that the truth. I started having it consistently about five years ago. Turns out I have a hiatal hernia. Have been on Protonix ever since, and rarely get it now.

I've had acid reflux for years and kept it under control originally using Aciphex and then Nexium. Both worked wonderfully. The last time I went to the doctor she prescribed me Protonix since Nexium is no longer in the formulary. I've had to treat myself for heartburn symptoms several times (usually a teaspoon of baking soda stirred into water and then chugged down, blech!) over the last few months. Protonix just ain't working for me.

I had a similar experience- I loved Nexium, it worked beautifully but then had to switch to pantoprazole (generic Protonix) for insurance reasons. It works OK but not as good.

Another trick I learned for controlling the occasional heartburn is to eat a piece of bread, sometimes it soaks up the excess acid. I also keep some Zantac around- it works quicker and in a different way than the ones above.

For me, cutting night drinking down to almost nothing has been the most successful approach.

(02-06-2018, 11:32 PM)PF* Wrote: I had a similar experience- I loved Nexium, it worked beautifully but then had to switch to pantoprazole (generic Protonix) for insurance reasons. It works OK but not as good.

Another trick I learned for controlling the occasional heartburn is to eat a piece of bread, sometimes it soaks up the excess acid. I also keep some Zantac around- it works quicker and in a different way than the ones above.

For me, cutting night drinking down to almost nothing has been the most successful approach.

Drink in the day time at work? Heck yeah. I can get on board with that.