Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2020, 06:47 PM by Jags.)

(03-01-2020, 09:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 10:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The child just needed to be engaged and soothed. That's what you do with hungry and restless children that age. The mother was lazy so she just stared as he stood on the seat of the booth next to her screaming at the top of his lungs with tears running down his face. What's even sadder is her belly was already swelling with the next child to fall victim to her sad lack of parenting skills.

And there is a reason I didn't raise kids. Besides never wanting them, I would have been a bad parent. Not a maternal bone in my body. At all.

That being said, it grinds my gears to see parents like the one you described. Or those that shove a cellphone or tablet in their hands and  basically ignore them. And if I see you  mistreat a child.....fuggedaboutit. I'm dialing 911 while getting between you and that kid. I suffered enough abuse to just stand by and let it happen to a kid.
What bothers me is when I discipline my child and someone calls 911.  It’s okay folks, spanking is allowed.  “Spare the rod, spoil the child”.   It’s in the “books”

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-02-2020, 05:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 01:54 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: That’s just so sad!

It's incredibly sad. What's worse is the parents have no clue what long term dysfunction they're instilling in their kids. 

Traveling a lot allows me to people watch. Like the time while sitting in a cafe below Neuschwanstein Castle I watched a woman trade bites of food with her little purse dog using the same spoon.

I don’t get why people have kids if they don’t want to actually parent. I told my son since he was a little guy that he was my favorite person on the planet, but I’m not here to be his friend. I’ve got friends. I’m his mom, it’s my job to make him a functional member of society and get him through childhood with as little trauma as possible! Lol
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2020, 07:52 PM by Jags.)

That being said, my child is well behaved.  Apparently is the “teacher’s pet type”.  I was really conscious of her behavior out in public.  If she acted up, I wanted to get on to her.  Not ask her “please”.  I’m your damn dad.  I don’t ask.  I tell.   And then am afraid of disciplining my daughter for those liberals that get upset if you spank, get on to, or just look at them in the far look.  [BLEEP] those guys.  I’m raising my daughter.  Not that I want jail time, but I won’t fire myself over it. That’s a personal/family matter.  On both sides, let it be.  Even when you don’t agree.  No good comes out of expressing your differences in child raising in public.

(03-02-2020, 01:54 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 01:48 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Speaking of electronic parenting, I once saw a responsible looking couple with two well-behaved children (around 4-6) that were each supplied with huge tablets with adapters that mounted to a table edge and placed the screen directly in front of them. It was scary. As soon as they sat down the children sat silently until each tablet was mounted for them and then they began poking and swiping. They were absolutely brain washed. Then, of course, each parent pulled out their cell phone. An entire family sitting down to eat and no one was speaking.

That’s just so sad!

It's scary how commonplace that scenario is now and it's especially true with the younger generation.  I don't think they know how to communicate verbally.

When my wife and I are out for dinner, we actually talk to each other.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2020, 07:40 PM by Jags.)

I tell my wife, if she’s gonna be on the phone the time, she can pay.  Then I’ll order the most expensive thing on the menu.  Then get a few apps.
And give me another beer or two I may or may not finish.  She’s a tight wad.  It usually works.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2020, 08:20 PM by Jags.)

The amount of people on TV that pour water in a glass/mug straight from the tap.  Really? No one is filtering this crap?   Enjoy.  Keep it real.  Use the fridge’s filtered water.  A pUr filter, a bottle of Zephyr hills.  Whatever.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2020, 08:59 PM by homebiscuit.)

(03-02-2020, 06:45 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 05:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It's incredibly sad. What's worse is the parents have no clue what long term dysfunction they're instilling in their kids. 

Traveling a lot allows me to people watch. Like the time while sitting in a cafe below Neuschwanstein Castle I watched a woman trade bites of food with her little purse dog using the same spoon.

I don’t get why people have kids if they don’t want to actually parent. I told my son since he was a little guy that he was my favorite person on the planet, but I’m not here to be his friend. I’ve got friends. I’m his mom, it’s my job to make him a functional member of society and get him through childhood with as little trauma as possible! Lol

You go, mom!

Years ago, back when I only had 3 children, I worked with a young newlywed girl who told me that her first child will be a boy, his name will be blah, blah, blah and "he's going to be my best friend". I stopped her right there and said that is the worst idea ever and explained why. She listened to me but I don't know if it sunk in. If she didn't listen, by the time she realized her "best friend" was running all over her, she probably figured it out.

(03-02-2020, 08:19 PM)Jags Wrote: The amount of people on TV that pour water in a glass/mug straight from the tap.  Really? No one is filtering this crap?   Enjoy.  Keep it real.  Use the fridge’s filtered water.  A pUr filter, a bottle of Zephyr hills.  Whatever.

It depends on where you live. I've been in places where the tap water was great. Our tap water sucks.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2020, 09:14 PM by Jags.)

(03-02-2020, 08:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 06:45 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I don’t get why people have kids if they don’t want to actually parent. I told my son since he was a little guy that he was my favorite person on the planet, but I’m not here to be his friend. I’ve got friends. I’m his mom, it’s my job to make him a functional member of society and get him through childhood with as little trauma as possible! Lol

You go, mom!

Years ago, back when I only had 3 children, I worked with a young newlywed girl who told me that her first child will be a boy, his name will be blah, blah, blah and "he's going to be my best friend". I stopped her right there and said that is the worst idea ever and explained why. She listened to me but I don't know if it sunk in. If she didn't listen, by the time she realized her "best friend" was running all over her, she probably figured it out.

(03-02-2020, 08:19 PM)Jags Wrote: The amount of people on TV that pour water in a glass/mug straight from the tap.  Really? No one is filtering this crap?   Enjoy.  Keep it real.  Use the fridge’s filtered water.  A pUr filter, a bottle of Zephyr hills.  Whatever.

It depends on where you live. I've been in places where the tap water was great. Our tap water sucks.

I know mine here is “ok”, I wouldn’t want to rely on it. .  My wife’s old place (she had a well) sucked as well as stunk of sulfur.  I heard if they drilled farther down it wouldn’t smell like that.  Idk if that’s true or not.  Certainly plausible.

I hate when I get the hiccups. But I love the spoonful of peanut butter I get afterwards.

The sulfur taste in Florida water is terrible.  Go north into the Carolina's and the problem diminishes.  I'm in Vermont now, tastes great up here, had a glass with dinner.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2020, 10:53 PM by americus 2.0.)

(03-02-2020, 06:40 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 09:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: And there is a reason I didn't raise kids. Besides never wanting them, I would have been a bad parent. Not a maternal bone in my body. At all.

That being said, it grinds my gears to see parents like the one you described. Or those that shove a cellphone or tablet in their hands and  basically ignore them. And if I see you  mistreat a child.....fuggedaboutit. I'm dialing 911 while getting between you and that kid. I suffered enough abuse to just stand by and let it happen to a kid.
What bothers me is when I discipline my child and someone calls 911.  It’s okay folks, spanking is allowed.  “Spare the rod, spoil the child”.   It’s in the “books”

I have no problem with parents spanking their kid, but when you hit a child or yank their arm so hard you dislocate their shoulder... I take issue with that.

[Image: 8-DF2-F96-F-1718-4-CF0-B8-E4-EF9-A07-A4-A434.jpg]
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(03-02-2020, 06:40 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 09:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: And there is a reason I didn't raise kids. Besides never wanting them, I would have been a bad parent. Not a maternal bone in my body. At all.

That's actually happened to you?

If you're doing it in public, maybe save it for when you get home.

(03-05-2020, 01:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 06:40 PM)Jags Wrote: What bothers me is when I discipline my child and someone calls 911.  It’s okay folks, spanking is allowed.  “Spare the rod, spoil the child”.   It’s in the “books”

No that didn’t happen to me.  I don’t abuse my kid. But I will spank her if need be.  Someone wants to give me a dirty look for doing it public, they can go screw themselves.

(03-05-2020, 01:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 06:40 PM)Jags Wrote: What bothers me is when I discipline my child and someone calls 911.  It’s okay folks, spanking is allowed.  “Spare the rod, spoil the child”.   It’s in the “books”

Parents should have the courage and not worry about spanking their children in public.  It is not "abuse" unless the spanking is excessive (which a few swats on the behind is not).  Contrary to some peoples' belief spanking is a good form of teaching and discipline.  I know that I got my butt wore out a few times in public by my parents and never did what caused it again.  I think I turned out alright as a 50+ person having raised 3 children of my own and having a grandson.

Sure the kid is going to cry and basically "scream bloody murder" but the sting will go away shortly.

I don't advocate "excessive" beating of a child, but that is pretty subjective.  However, a few swats on the butt is certainly acceptable.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-05-2020, 05:58 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 01:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: That's actually happened to you?

No that didn’t happen to me.  I don’t abuse my kid. But I will spank her if need be.  Someone wants to give me a dirty look for doing it public, they can go screw themselves.
Glad you didn’t have 911 called on you. Your post made it seem like it’s happened to you before.

My parents spanked me and my two brothers however each kid is very different. Spanking didn’t work on my middle brother. It had the opposite effect. For me, it took one spanking and I learned REAL QUICK.

After having two kids, I feel like the best parenting is when you realize it’s never a one size fits all. I haven’t had to spank either of my kids yet and we are doing just fine. However I won’t look down on those who do spank. Do what works for you and your family.

(03-05-2020, 08:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 05:58 PM)Jags Wrote: No that didn’t happen to me.  I don’t abuse my kid. But I will spank her if need be.  Someone wants to give me a dirty look for doing it public, they can go screw themselves.
Glad you didn’t have 911 called on you. Your post made it seem like it’s happened to you before.

My parents spanked me and my two brothers however each kid is very different. Spanking didn’t work on my middle brother. It had the opposite effect. For me, it took one spanking and I learned REAL QUICK.

After having two kids, I feel like the best parenting is when you realize it’s never a one size fits all. I haven’t had to spank either of my kids yet and we are doing just fine. However I won’t look down on those who do spank. Do what works for you and your family.
As a child growing up, my mom would smack the crap out of me.  Then when dad got home, I got the lecture (yelling at) and another spanking.  In all honesty, what hurt the most was the yelling at me.  Mostly from my dad.  Moms yelling didn’t really do much.  I can’t say why.   But knowing I let them down in such an authoritative way didn’t make me feel good.  So I see your point.  Truth be told, I actually see more reaction when I get on to my daughter more than I do when I spank her.  I think she is turning out like me.  But I will still spank her. She’ll get it like I got it.  I feel it worked.  Either way, the bottom line is to get your kids to mind and know right from wrong.  That’s the goal.  I’ll do what I know to help accomplish that.

(03-05-2020, 08:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 05:58 PM)Jags Wrote: No that didn’t happen to me.  I don’t abuse my kid. But I will spank her if need be.  Someone wants to give me a dirty look for doing it public, they can go screw themselves.

I think I popped my oldest daughter on the butt twice, and my youngest once.  That's all they needed.

After that, the old...."Do you want me to give you something to cry about?" was all it took.   Smile
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Imbalanced golf balls that won’t fly straight off the club face. These golf ball companies really need to improve their quality control.

(03-06-2020, 06:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Imbalanced golf balls that won’t fly straight off the club face. These golf ball companies really need to improve their quality control.

I too, have experienced this frustration, despite my perfect swing line and clubface alignment.  I believe it's time for a strongly worded letter of complaint to Titleist.

(03-06-2020, 09:43 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 06:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Imbalanced golf balls that won’t fly straight off the club face. These golf ball companies really need to improve their quality control.

I too, have experienced this frustration, despite my perfect swing line and clubface alignment.  I believe it's time for a strongly worded letter of complaint to Titleist.

I hold club makers in equal suspicion.