Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

I’m about to go crazy right now with this [BLEEP]. I’m well passed pissed. Finally got to talk to 4 different people. Last one was able to help. Will be a 2 hour process. Ok. Fantastic. Process complete, log in. Apparently my password changed during the process? I can’t even log in anymore. So I’m in limbo and letting wife wife deal with it. She thinks it’s so easy! I’ve already completely burned the coals to nothing while on the phone and had to relight the damn grill again.. I sure hope the wife “shows me” just how easy this is.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wooohoooo! After a total of 5 hours on the phone last night and this morning they got me taken care of! And they hooked me up

Verify you’re not a robot. I’m fairly certain I’ve got a firm grasp of what a bus or traffic light looks like. But, for some reason I’m always wrong. Perhaps websites should perform such tasks before I enter.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021, 07:31 PM by Jags.)

So I kept count, I have received now 11 scam calls for “Apple” crap.  That’s since around 4:30 this afternoon.  So...3.6 per hour..  

“Before using any apple products, please call....”

I’ve blocked every one of the numbers, but they just keep pouring in.  I even answered a few to have fun with these people.  But they just hang up.

(03-17-2021, 07:30 PM)Jags Wrote: So I kept count, I have received now 11 scam calls for “Apple” crap.  That’s since around 4:30 this afternoon.  So...3.6 per hour..  

I’ve blocked every one of the numbers, but they just keep pouring in.  I even answered a few to have fun with these people.  But they just hang up.

Stop answering them. Every time you pick up, word goes out on the street in Scamville that you're available.

(03-17-2021, 09:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 07:30 PM)Jags Wrote: So I kept count, I have received now 11 scam calls for “Apple” crap.  That’s since around 4:30 this afternoon.  So...3.6 per hour..  

Stop answering them. Every time you pick up, word goes out on the street in Scamville that you're available.

It was after the 5th or 6th call I finally answered.  All for the same thing from different numbers.  I answered one that “fooled” me, a local number with an actual name on the caller ID.  All the previous ones, that one and the others were all for “Apple” something or other.  (The prior ones left voicemails). It’s sad really, I run a business but rarely answer the phone because it’s usually this kind of bs.  I’ve learned (for the most part) which ones to answer and which not.  But whatever the deal was, these people would not stop calling this evening.  Apparently, business lines are exempt from the “do not call” list.  I wasn’t aware of that until recently.

That "do not call" list is crap. I have Verizon and ended up adding Call Filter for $3/month so I can block and report these jackholes. It was so bad last year with the political texts and calls that I almost changed my number.

Keep a number for family and friends and a number to fill in when you buy stuff. 

Does wonders. Email too.

I’m with T-Mobile which utilizes a scam filter. When scam calls ring in, even from local numbers, “Scam Likely” shows as the caller ID. It’s correct 99% of the time.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 06:26 AM by homebiscuit.)

(03-18-2021, 02:44 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Keep a number for family and friends and a number to fill in when you buy stuff. 

Does wonders. Email too.

I think everyone does the throwaway email tactic, but that’s free. 

My home phone (yes, I still have one) is my nuisance number now. It rings twice and goes to voicemail.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 07:11 AM by Jags.)

I’ve got the scam filter with Verizon.  I’m glad it’s working well for you Americus. It worked “okay” for me but I’m not sure what caused the spree of calls yesterday.  If I had to guess,  it’s like when you get a traffic ticket then a week or so later your mailbox is full of driving schools.  I think when the cpa filed what he did, the IRS must be selling the info.  I’ve received some calls and a bunch of crap in the mail.  

My mom has her phone set up so only her contacts come through and the rest straight to VM.  Now THATS the way to go!

(03-18-2021, 06:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: My home phone (yes, I still have one) is my nuisance number now.

[Image: R7c8c89480d30b5d5eb337022dab2fbd3?rik=%2...pid=ImgRaw]
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-18-2021, 07:13 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 06:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: My home phone (yes, I still have one) is my nuisance number now.

[Image: R7c8c89480d30b5d5eb337022dab2fbd3?rik=%2...pid=ImgRaw]

I think the video was posted on this MB which showed a couple of teenagers trying to figure out how to work one of those. It made me laugh and feel old at the same time.

(03-18-2021, 06:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 02:44 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Keep a number for family and friends and a number to fill in when you buy stuff. 

Does wonders. Email too.

I think everyone does the throwaway email tactic, but that’s free. 

My home phone (yes, I still have one) is my nuisance number now. It rings twice and goes to voicemail.

Google Voice is also free. Get it and set it to straight to voicemail for all eternity. 
(03-18-2021, 07:10 AM)Jags Wrote: I’ve got the scam filter with Verizon.  I’m glad it’s working well for you Americus. It worked “okay” for me but I’m not sure what caused the spree of calls yesterday.  If I had to guess,  it’s like when you get a traffic ticket then a week or so later your mailbox is full of driving schools.  I think when the cpa filed what he did, the IRS must be selling the info.  I’ve received some calls and a bunch of crap in the mail.  

My mom has her phone set up so only her contacts come through and the rest straight to VM.  Now THATS the way to go!

Maybe Fl is different but registering a business is public information I believe.

(03-17-2021, 09:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Smartest thing I ever did was not changing my cell number after moving across the state. All the scammers spoof my phone's area code, so I instantly know who is BS and who is legit.

You're right though, never ever pick up, or your number will be sold to eleventy billion other scammers in hopes that you answer just one more time.

(03-18-2021, 09:57 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 09:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Stop answering them. Every time you pick up, word goes out on the street in Scamville that you're available.

Smartest thing I ever did was not changing my cell number after moving across the state. All the scammers spoof my phone's area code, so I instantly know who is BS and who is legit.

You're right though, never ever pick up, or your number will be sold to eleventy billion other scammers in hopes that you answer just one more time.

I don't answer anyone that's not in my contact list.  If it's important, they'll leave a message.

(03-18-2021, 10:02 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 09:57 AM)Mikey Wrote: Smartest thing I ever did was not changing my cell number after moving across the state. All the scammers spoof my phone's area code, so I instantly know who is BS and who is legit.

I don't answer anyone that's not in my contact list.  If it's important, they'll leave a message.

This.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-18-2021, 07:10 AM)Jags Wrote: I’ve got the scam filter with Verizon.  I’m glad it’s working well for you Americus. It worked “okay” for me but I’m not sure what caused the spree of calls yesterday.  If I had to guess,  it’s like when you get a traffic ticket then a week or so later your mailbox is full of driving schools.  I think when the cpa filed what he did, the IRS must be selling the info.  I’ve received some calls and a bunch of crap in the mail.  

Yeah, I'll get a rush of calls like that too and have to go through and report and block each one. They die down after a day or two if I am diligent to report and block. Does your mom have Verizon or is that a feature on her phone? I like that idea. 

My home phone has become my "public" number to all except family, friends and my doctor.

Anyone else get a bunch of calls from the same prefix of your phone number? Say your number is 904-123-1234, the calls all come in with the 904-123-? I get a butt ton of those, and I don’t answer any of them.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(03-18-2021, 07:26 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 07:13 AM)Sneakers Wrote: [Image: R7c8c89480d30b5d5eb337022dab2fbd3?rik=%2...pid=ImgRaw]

I think the video was posted on this MB which showed a couple of teenagers trying to figure out how to work one of those. It made me laugh and feel old at the same time.

At least with those you could slam the phone down on a telemarketer!  I've got to find an app that will duplicate the sound effect.

Watched Get Smart a couple days ago and it occurred to me there's a whole generation out there that have never even seen a phone booth.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.