Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(05-25-2021, 10:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-25-2021, 08:52 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: Anything you buy at the grocery store that is in "resealable" plastic bags.  Resealable my [BLEEP]!  Also, any sort of plastic wrap, cling wrap, etc.  All of it, all a lie, they all suck!

Are you like, mentally challenged, you can't reseal the resealable plastic bags?  lol

Half of the time when you go to open them they tear in a weird spot, or you have to sit there and spend time finding the right spot to get it started (I can't figure out a better way to describe it) before it'll reseal.  And I'm not talking like a ziplock, I mean like deli meat that comes in an already sealed airtight bag that is "re-sealable".  None of them are consistent.  It's 2021, we can communicate with a machine on Mars, put a damn zipper on it!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-25-2021, 10:18 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(05-25-2021, 10:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Are you like, mentally challenged, you can't reseal the resealable plastic bags?  lol

Half of the time when you go to open them they tear in a weird spot, or you have to sit there and spend time finding the right spot to get it started (I can't figure out a better way to describe it) before it'll reseal.  And I'm not talking like a ziplock, I mean like deli meat that comes in an already sealed airtight bag that is "re-sealable".  None of them are consistent.  It's 2021, we can communicate with a machine on Mars, put a damn zipper on it!

I can sympathize. I notice especially the cat treats, for one they get a LOT of use (lots of treats in the bags and we only give out one or two per cat when we open), and after a while the seal separates from the rest of the bag, because apparently they have to seal that bag tighter than Fort Knox.

The jumbo cat litter would come in a resealable bag with a "clip" style ziplock and never failed, after the first time opening and using the bag, zip it shut and the clip pops right off, and now I can't open the bag without showering the garage in clay pellets.

Moral of the story: Cats are the worst.

Working from home. Server crashes. “Your changes have not been saved” message. Silent weeping.

(05-25-2021, 12:48 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-25-2021, 10:18 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: Half of the time when you go to open them they tear in a weird spot, or you have to sit there and spend time finding the right spot to get it started (I can't figure out a better way to describe it) before it'll reseal.  And I'm not talking like a ziplock, I mean like deli meat that comes in an already sealed airtight bag that is "re-sealable".  None of them are consistent.  It's 2021, we can communicate with a machine on Mars, put a damn zipper on it!

I can sympathize. I notice especially the cat treats, for one they get a LOT of use (lots of treats in the bags and we only give out one or two per cat when we open), and after a while the seal separates from the rest of the bag, because apparently they have to seal that bag tighter than Fort Knox.

The jumbo cat litter would come in a resealable bag with a "clip" style ziplock and never failed, after the first time opening and using the bag, zip it shut and the clip pops right off, and now I can't open the bag without showering the garage in clay pellets.

Moral of the story: Cats are the worst.

Yes, I feel this, deep in my core.

Dunno if this is a trivial annoyance, or if it is even better suited elsewhere on the board.

I notice a significant difference in a few factions of posters around here. There are some that are questioning the moves of ownership/management, and for the most part are doing so by calling attention to a particular decision, stating their disagreement, and maybe even proposing how they would have chosen differently. I can remember the bitterness and blind hatred during the Gene Smith years, and the current level of dissent is not nearly as universal or unwavering.

On the other side, there are those that either choose not to voice opposition, or support the moves made. This has almost universally been the way things worked around here.

Nothing wrong with favoring or opposing any aspect of the team. However, it seems that between these factions, there is a key difference. Many of those voicing opposition are pointing their finger at team, coach, player, scout, what have you. Some who either support or wish not to oppose the team instead choose to point their fingers at fellow posters, and I hate it. I do not use that word lightly. I've lurked the Jungle for MUCH longer than my profile indicates, and everyone who has been around as long will agree that the community is dwindling. Going to war against each other isn't going to make the discussion more lively. Making people feel unwelcome for differing from your opinion isn't going to foster fandom. Calling the poster on the other side of the issue a dunderpate isn't going to make your stance any more convincing.

I've just been noticing this a lot recently. I've written out and deleted many a post because I was either frustrated over the way one poster was handling another, or a group of others, but it's getting to the point where I feel that unless we are all of hivemind there are some that would just rather there be no posts to read when they log in than to actually discuss or debate a matter. Just because someone isn't agreeing with you doesn't make them a fool. I come here because I enjoy the team, but also because I enjoy the discourse. I enjoy the various personalities that come around to share their perspectives. I've just noticed that as the personal attacks increase, the enjoyment of this board does not.

Y'all are great. I mean that. I just wish we could keep criticism on the content and avoid personal attacks. @Unless they're an obvious troll, then have at it.@

Keep it lighthearted. We're talking about a game, we should be having fun.

I have to agree to disagree with folks more often than not and if they push the point (with me) or start name calling I walk away. I have no use for it. And I'm not going to call someone out for being a jerk to others unless it's pretty severe because the pissing match isn't worth it. Now if someone implies I said something I know I didn't to get an argument or reaction I will absolutely call them out. I've had to do it several times over the years. Only one poster has flat out refused to acknowledge their crap and I simply ignore them now.

I think 2020 and all the crap that has happened in the last 16 months or so amped people up quite a bit and we're all just reacting at this point. There has been no let up of controversy, no breathing room, and we're on a hair trigger. In the case of Tebow/Meyer/Jaguars, I think if we had not hired Tebow we would have ridden the high of Trevor Lawrence through the off-season and all would have been well. That's not what happened and here we are.

I think everyone needs to stop reacting and start listening and using their critical thinking skills to interact, otherwise it's going to get worse. I've been around a lot longer than my joined date shows and outside of how nasty things got when the topic of religion was finally banned, I haven't seen it this bad in a long time. I'd people can't be civil the art of agreeing to disagree needs to be practiced more often than not that's for sure.

Let's be careful not to let the football debates get into this forum please. I appreciate what you're both saying, but the Tebow debate (and even responses to it) is something that will explode wherever it takes root and this forum isn't for football stuff.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-27-2021, 09:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Let's be careful not to let the football debates get into this forum please. I appreciate what you're both saying, but the Tebow debate (and even responses to it) is something that will explode wherever it takes root and this forum isn't for football stuff.

What if I saw Tebow at the deli counter at Publix?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-27-2021, 10:05 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-27-2021, 09:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Let's be careful not to let the football debates get into this forum please. I appreciate what you're both saying, but the Tebow debate (and even responses to it) is something that will explode wherever it takes root and this forum isn't for football stuff.

What if I saw Tebow at the deli counter at Publix?

I'm 91% sure that would start a fight.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2021, 09:24 AM by RicoTx.)

I'm sure telemarketers has already been covered in this thread, but AT&T is really start to get on my nerves.

I get two or three calls a week saying that 'my account is qualified for DirecTV at a 'special price''.  Well, first of all, I don't have an AT&T account and haven't for over three years.  Second, I got tired of getting raped for DirecTV costs.  I was paying over $150 without any premium movie channels.

And the damn calls are coming from toll free, local, and out of area area codes.  Oh, and no, I rarely if ever answer them.  But they leave messages.

Angry

I still get phone calls and texts on my cell phone for the woman who had the number before I got it in 2012. She died in 2011 and you'd think telling these people to look it up for themselves would remove her from their lists. Nope. I just report the numbers now through Verizon's call filter.

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2021, 07:11 PM by RicoTx.)

Restaurant waitlists.  This place is never crowded this early.  Must be the holiday weekend.  I need a beer.  Long work week.

We're at the restaurant that has of my favorite local beer names on tap, Fire Ant Funeral.

If you want a chuckle, check out some of their other beer names.

https://www.texasaleproject.com/drink/

(05-28-2021, 07:01 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Restaurant waitlists.  This place is never crowded this early.  Must be the holiday weekend.  I need a beer.  Long work week.

We're at the restaurant that has of my favorite local beer names on tap, Fire Ant Funeral.

If you want a chuckle, check out some of their other beer names.

https://www.texasaleproject.com/drink/

I tried to look at the names but that first question about my age kept rejecting me.  But, I’ll take a “let’s see your o face”

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2021, 03:28 PM by americus 2.0.)

When you tangle with poison oak whilst doing yard work. Not. Fun.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2021, 12:18 PM by RicoTx.)

Having to scrounge through 50 pieces of moulding at Lowe's/Home Depot to find four pieces that aren't [BLEEP] up in some way, shape, or form.

(05-30-2021, 12:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Having to scrounge through 50 pieces of moulding at Lowe's/Home Depot to find four pieces that aren't [BLEEP] up in some way, shape, or form.

And then get the privilege of paying out the nose for it!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(05-29-2021, 11:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: When you tangle with poison ivy whilst doing yard work. Not. Fun.

Thanks goodness I am not severely allergic, because I am not smart when it comes to poisonous plants.

My biggest problem isn't that I don't scrub down right away when I'm done, it's that I'll spend 2-3 hours in various flora and by then you're probably beyond help as far as scrubbing down.

Knock on wood, most of the poisonous stuff in my own yard is eradicated. The rest of our neighborhood, which is densely wooded? not so much.

(06-01-2021, 11:04 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-29-2021, 11:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: When you tangle with poison ivy whilst doing yard work. Not. Fun.

Thanks goodness I am not severely allergic, because I am not smart when it comes to poisonous plants.

My biggest problem isn't that I don't scrub down right away when I'm done, it's that I'll spend 2-3 hours in various flora and by then you're probably beyond help as far as scrubbing down.

Knock on wood, most of the poisonous stuff in my own yard is eradicated. The rest of our neighborhood, which is densely wooded? not so much.

I was too far gone to wash anything off before I realized what I'd gotten into. Like, I didn't know until the rash showed up a few days later.  Wallbash

I've gotten poison ivy rashes from just petting a dog that had been in it.

The worst was while clearing trees out of a lot, we were cutting through poison sumac vines with a chainsaw, not realizing what it was. I've never been so miserable in my life.

Yeah that would suck. The only thing worse is chigger bites. Good God is that a miserable thing to deal with. I have an allergic reaction to them and it's much worse for me than poison oak. The last time I had those on my torso; back, front and sides. I suffered for about two months with that.

In the fall I'll be out there in full coverage gear to yank those things out of the ground and dispose of them. I'm super lucky I didn't get it worse than I have but the random places its showing up is crazy. Patches on my stomach, both inner forearms, on my left hand, near my right armpit, inner left thigh, around my left ankle and right calf.