Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(02-11-2022, 11:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: People who eat with their fork upside down. I watched one guy pile food on his fork with a knife so he could keep it upside down. It really irritates me and I don’t know why. Maybe because it’s so blatantly pretentious.

I have never seen anyone eat with their fork upside down.  Where have you seen this?  I'm really curious.  

By the way, using your knife to pile up your food is about as far from pretentious as you can get.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022, 03:45 PM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-11-2022, 02:47 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 11:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: People who eat with their fork upside down. I watched one guy pile food on his fork with a knife so he could keep it upside down. It really irritates me and I don’t know why. Maybe because it’s so blatantly pretentious.

I have never seen anyone eat with their fork upside down.  Where have you seen this?  I'm really curious.  

By the way, using your knife to pile up your food is about as far from pretentious as you can get.

I’m in Madrid, Spain. He was using his knife to place food on his upside down fork. I’ve also seen other people hold it upside down. It ain’t how we do it at Golden Corral, but whatever.

https://youtu.be/sNE2DhQ1AZ4

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022, 03:53 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-11-2022, 03:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 02:47 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I have never seen anyone eat with their fork upside down.  Where have you seen this?  I'm really curious.  

I’m in Madrid, Spain. He was using his knife to place food on his upside down fork. I’ve also seen other people hold it upside down. It ain’t how we do it at Golden Corral, but whatever.

https://youtu.be/zoa4De2DBZ0

But she's talking about holding the fork upside down and stabbing the food with it, not piling the food on top of it, which seems almost impossible.  Wouldn't the food just fall off the fork?  

OH!  I found it!  This guy uses his fork upside down to stab his food, but keeps it upside down!  At :30 in the video, he piles is food on top of his upside down fork.  I have never seen that in my life.  Interesting. 

I did a little more research, and apparently, this is a European thing.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQYnj2BR17I

(02-11-2022, 12:27 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

Ha!  Letting us all know you eat in those fancy places that use cutlery.  Who's calling who pretentious?

When the cutlery is in a plastic bag with a napkin and salt packets, I know I should be wearing shoes to dinner.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022, 03:58 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 3 times in total.)

Homebiscuit, what you are describing is European style use of cutlery.  If you ask me, it's about as idiotic as the Asians insisting on eating with two little sticks.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRL8xVjXK_w

Upside down forks are pretentious. That’s all I’ve got to say about that.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022, 08:18 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

The only thing I learned from that video is that I do both.  Upside down seems to be only when cutting a steak and eating a bite after a cut.  And I don’t always upside down it.  I also learned HB lives or works in a more diverse locale than I do.  Damn it HB, appreciate and accept the foreigners you live and work with. 

I will say this, the upside down fork thing irritates me as well.  However, as mentioned, with steak I find myself doing it.  Cut, then smoothly transition from plate to food orifice.

My wife is a weirdo.  She’ll cut her whole steak up and then eat it.  What????  I’m a slice and biter.

What bothers me more than that, are those that don’t hold utensils or even pencils wrong. The pencil is held with it resting on the middle finger and thumb and index finger grasping. Those that use any other combo….. ugh… same as those that hold utensils funny. The people that grasp it whole handed.

(02-11-2022, 08:35 PM)Jags Wrote: What bothers me more than that, are those that don’t hold utensils or even pencils wrong.  The pencil is held with it resting on the middle finger and thumb and index finger grasping.  Those that use any other combo….. ugh… same as those that hold utensils funny.  The people that grasp it whole handed.

That should have been slapped out of them as a child.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

(02-14-2022, 04:09 PM)captivating Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 08:35 PM)Jags Wrote: What bothers me more than that, are those that don’t hold utensils or even pencils wrong.  The pencil is held with it resting on the middle finger and thumb and index finger grasping.  Those that use any other combo….. ugh… same as those that hold utensils funny.  The people that grasp it whole handed.

That should have been slapped out of them as a child.

Not often I find myself doing this, but it’s nice to see we’re on the same page for once, lol.  We’ve found common ground!

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2022, 12:35 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

A week or so ago, my car started displaying one of those messages that I was due for basic service.  They call it "A1" service, which means oil change, tire rotation, check everything and so forth.  So I make an appointment for yesterday at 9AM, and show up at the appointed time.  They tell me there's also an open recall on the car, and they will have to do a software upgrade.  Fine.  How long will this take?  And hour and a half, the service agent says.  So, since I live about 10 minutes from the dealer, I have my wife pick me up.  Service agent says he'll text me when it's ready. 

So I go home and wait.  3 hours pass.  No communication.  I wait another hour.  Now it's 4 hours.  Still no communication.  So I text the guy and ask him if my car is ready.  He says, it's in the wash now, it'll be ready in 15 minutes.  Half hour later, he texts me and says the car is ready.  So my wife takes me down there and leaves to go back home.  I get in the car, and as I start to drive it off, there's a big red error message on the display behind the steering wheel.  I turn right around and drive back into the service area.  Did no one notice this big red error message on the display when they drove the car out of the wash?  Well, anyway, they take the car back into service.  So I wait.  A half hour goes by.  No one's telling me anything.  Finally I ask someone, can you go back there and see how long it's going to take to fix the car?  They finally come back out and say, they don't know.  So I call my wife to pick me back up.  This was about 2 in the afternoon.  All afternoon, no communication.  This morning, still no communication.  So I text the service agent, what's going on with my car?  A half hour later he responds, the software upgrade in some way damaged the controller.  He's trying to figure out how long it will take to get another one. 

At that point, is there an apology?  An offer of a loaner car?  No.  

Now, this is a well-known car dealer.  They should do better than that.

(02-11-2022, 08:15 PM)Jags Wrote: The only thing I learned from that video is that I do both.  Upside down seems to be only when cutting a steak and eating a bite after a cut.  And I don’t always upside down it.  I also learned HB lives or works in a more diverse locale than I do.  Damn it HB, appreciate and accept the foreigners you live and work with. 

I will say this, the upside down fork thing irritates me as well.  However, as mentioned, with steak I find myself doing it.  Cut, then smoothly transition from plate to food orifice.

My wife is a weirdo.  She’ll cut her whole steak up and then eat it.  What????  I’m a slice and biter.

Mine refuses to even bring a knife to the table. She cuts up everything on the plate while in the kitchen. Weirdos, I tell ya.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-23-2022, 01:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 08:15 PM)Jags Wrote: The only thing I learned from that video is that I do both.  Upside down seems to be only when cutting a steak and eating a bite after a cut.  And I don’t always upside down it.  I also learned HB lives or works in a more diverse locale than I do.  Damn it HB, appreciate and accept the foreigners you live and work with. 

Mine refuses to even bring a knife to the table. She cuts up everything on the plate while in the kitchen. Weirdos, I tell ya.
Yeah, we’ll be at the table.   I’m cutting a piece  or two off of my steak.  Wife: “ are you done with your knife? Can I use it?”   No.  I am not done.  But you may use it.  I’ll eat my few pieces then just watch her as she cuts her steak up.  Then I’ll ask, “are you done? I’d like to eat too”.  She knows my position.  She doesn’t want the added utensils to wash.  Hahah.  I assure you female… the dishwasher doesn’t care. We can both use separate knives and eat at our own pace/style.

(02-23-2022, 12:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: A week or so ago, my car started displaying one of those messages that I was due for basic service.  They call it "A1" service, which means oil change, tire rotation, check everything and so forth.  So I make an appointment for yesterday at 9AM, and show up at the appointed time.  They tell me there's also an open recall on the car, and they will have to do a software upgrade.  Fine.  How long will this take?  And hour and a half, the service agent says.  So, since I live about 10 minutes from the dealer, I have my wife pick me up.  Service agent says he'll text me when it's ready. 

So I go home and wait.  3 hours pass.  No communication.  I wait another hour.  Now it's 4 hours.  Still no communication.  So I text the guy and ask him if my car is ready.  He says, it's in the wash now, it'll be ready in 15 minutes.  Half hour later, he texts me and says the car is ready.  So my wife takes me down there and leaves to go back home.  I get in the car, and as I start to drive it off, there's a big red error message on the display behind the steering wheel.  I turn right around and drive back into the service area.  Did no one notice this big red error message on the display when they drove the car out of the wash?  Well, anyway, they take the car back into service.  So I wait.  A half hour goes by.  No one's telling me anything.  Finally I ask someone, can you go back there and see how long it's going to take to fix the car?  They finally come back out and say, they don't know.  So I call my wife to pick me back up.  This was about 2 in the afternoon.  All afternoon, no communication.  This morning, still no communication.  So I text the service agent, what's going on with my car?  A half hour later he responds, the software upgrade in some way damaged the controller.  He's trying to figure out how long it will take to get another one. 

Very annoying.  Everything about car dealerships suck and annoy me.

Last time I made an appointment for service, I show up on time, maybe a few mins early.  They take it and send me to the counter for the usual questions and ask if I'll be waiting or needing a ride somewhere or if someone was picking me up.  I asked how long will it take it's just a basic oil change/service?  Their response was that they wouldn't even be able to take it back into the service station to begin to have someone look at it for a few hours.

Then why in the hell did I make an appoint for this time?

(02-25-2022, 09:11 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 12:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: A week or so ago, my car started displaying one of those messages that I was due for basic service.  They call it "A1" service, which means oil change, tire rotation, check everything and so forth.  So I make an appointment for yesterday at 9AM, and show up at the appointed time.  They tell me there's also an open recall on the car, and they will have to do a software upgrade.  Fine.  How long will this take?  And hour and a half, the service agent says.  So, since I live about 10 minutes from the dealer, I have my wife pick me up.  Service agent says he'll text me when it's ready. 

Very annoying.  Everything about car dealerships suck and annoy me.

Last time I made an appointment for service, I show up on time, maybe a few mins early.  They take it and send me to the counter for the usual questions and ask if I'll be waiting or needing a ride somewhere or if someone was picking me up.  I asked how long will it take it's just a basic oil change/service?  Their response was that they wouldn't even be able to take it back into the service station to begin to have someone look at it for a few hours.

Then why in the hell did I make an appoint for this time?

I always tell them I’ll be waiting whether I plan to or not.  Idk if it works, but they always seem to get me in and out at a reasonable time.

My daughter and I have a Bday coming up in a week and a half. Yay! Except since we have a bday a day apart, I’m now forced to be part “guest of honor” at places I don’t want to go to for my own Bday. For my bday, I’m now forced to travel an hour and a half to her family’s area. I’ll suck it up for my daughter. I know it’s no longer about me. But it was nice while it lasted being asked “where do you wanna go for your birthday dinner?” And replying with, I’ll toss something on the grill and maybe I’ll get some oysters”. Perhaps not the best thread for this. I’m not upset about it. How can I be? I guess it’s the me having to traveling and wife trying to pawn it off as for me.

I don’t know if anyone ever does this to you guys, but I find it irritating. When someone says “happy last day of being (insert age)”. It just reminds me of The Office Space case of the mondays line. But I can’t get upset at the people who are saying because they love me.

My wife leaves shoes everywhere.  I counted six pairs in various locations around the house this morning.

I can't imagine the grief I would take if I did something like that.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-07-2022, 07:55 PM)RicoTx Wrote: My wife leaves shoes everywhere.  I counted six pairs in various locations around the house this morning.

Do you still have a dog… Ninja
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(03-07-2022, 07:55 PM)RicoTx Wrote: My wife leaves shoes everywhere.  I counted six pairs in various locations around the house this morning.

My wife gets on to me for little things like that, but good grief, if she does something routinely that is not cool I get to hear about it if I bring it up.  I once accidentally kicked her shoe under the bed by just turning around and walking.  She got pissed with me for doing it.  I also tripped in the bathroom over some heels. Apparently that was my fault for not looking where I was walking . Granted, she only has a few things like that she does and I probably have way more.  But still!