Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

Car makers have some new colors that you may have noticed. I see them everywhere. It reminds me of when I was young, and my father gave me an oil-painting set. I started mixing colors, and found that if you mix enough different colors, you wind up with something that looks like mud. And that's the color I see on these new cars- a light green-gray mud color. What an ugly color. It's as if these car makers had lots of leftover paint, and mixed it all together to make the new color- mud. Why would anyone buy a mud-colored car?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-26-2023, 01:16 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-26-2023, 12:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We considered Bent Creek but it's too challenging of a course for my son, and for the rest of us considering how we played yesterday. Bent Creek eats up a lot of golf balls. Plus, cost was a consideration. Hyde Park was the lowest at $47. 

It's a shame about Hyde Park. How nice it would be to have a new owner sink the money into it to bring it back to its former glory, but it's more likely to be full of houses before that happens.

Just to clarify, the four hundred and something at BC was for 6 months.  

I took a look at Bent Creek green fees just now, and you're right about the cost.  I wasn't aware they were charging so much, probably because always played there on weekdays.  

It'll be sad to see Hyde Park go.  I have so many memories there.  Including the time I eagled #9!  Hit a driver, accidentally cut the corner to the RIGHT of the fairway bunker, hit the cart path and bounded into the middle of the fairway.  Hit the green with a 5-wood, and sunk a 20 footer that broke at least 2 feet.  Hard to believe, after playing for 50 years, I've only eagled one hole.

I meant to reply to this after you posted it, then got sidetracked. 

That is an impressive feat. #9 is massive and that fairway bunker makes it even longer. What is so notable about that eagle is it was probably the only time in Hyde Park’s history when the golf gods gave someone a lucky break on that hole.

What I find interesting is a golf course built 100 years ago still challenges golfers with modern equipment. Imagine playing that course with a bag of wooden shafted mashies and niblicks, hitting early golf balls designed more for endurance than distance.

(12-28-2023, 06:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Car makers have some new colors that you may have noticed.  I see them everywhere.  It reminds me of when I was young, and my father gave me an oil-painting set.  I started mixing colors, and found that if you mix enough different colors, you wind up with something that looks like mud.  And that's the color I see on these new cars- a light green-gray mud color.  What an ugly color.  It's as if these car makers had lots of leftover paint, and mixed it all together to make the new color- mud.  Why would anyone buy a mud-colored car?

It hides dirt and pollen?

(12-28-2023, 10:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 06:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Car makers have some new colors that you may have noticed.  I see them everywhere.  It reminds me of when I was young, and my father gave me an oil-painting set.  I started mixing colors, and found that if you mix enough different colors, you wind up with something that looks like mud.  And that's the color I see on these new cars- a light green-gray mud color.  What an ugly color.  It's as if these car makers had lots of leftover paint, and mixed it all together to make the new color- mud.  Why would anyone buy a mud-colored car?

It hides dirt and pollen?

Color blindness?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(12-28-2023, 07:05 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-26-2023, 01:16 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Just to clarify, the four hundred and something at BC was for 6 months.  

I took a look at Bent Creek green fees just now, and you're right about the cost.  I wasn't aware they were charging so much, probably because always played there on weekdays.  

It'll be sad to see Hyde Park go.  I have so many memories there.  Including the time I eagled #9!  Hit a driver, accidentally cut the corner to the RIGHT of the fairway bunker, hit the cart path and bounded into the middle of the fairway.  Hit the green with a 5-wood, and sunk a 20 footer that broke at least 2 feet.  Hard to believe, after playing for 50 years, I've only eagled one hole.

I meant to reply to this after you posted it, then got sidetracked. 

That is an impressive feat. #9 is massive and that fairway bunker makes it even longer. What is so notable about that eagle is it was probably the only time in Hyde Park’s history when the golf gods gave someone a lucky break on that hole.

What I find interesting is a golf course built 100 years ago still challenges golfers with modern equipment. Imagine playing that course with a bag of wooden shafted mashies and niblicks, hitting early golf balls designed more for endurance than distance.

I've always thought the same about baseball.  Can you imagine fielding with this?

[Image: IMG_2062.jpg]

(12-22-2023, 09:57 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Can someone please explain the premise of this annoying commercial to me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X5gDOGhWgQ

I don’t get it either!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2024, 08:26 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 5 times in total.)

I'm noticing how many businesses will give you a price reduction if you ask for one.  My wife has gone to the Xfinity store a few times and told them we are cancelling because the bill is too high, and they will inevitably "find" a special deal for us that substantially reduces the price. 

Same thing with a certain well-respected mainstream publication.  I was subscribing online for I think around $10 a month, then they announced they were going up to $20 a month.  And guess what?  You can't just click "cancel."  You have to call and talk to someone.  So I called to cancel, and the person I was talking to said, how about if we go back to $10 a month?  I replied that that is still too much, I'm going to cancel.  Then she says, hold on a minute.  About 20 seconds later she comes back on the phone and offers it to me for $4 a month, which I accepted.  The exact same thing happened with another well-respected mainstream publication.  

I have had other experiences like this.  Now, you might be wondering, why would this bother me?  It bothers me because they are casually ripping off people who just go along and don't realize they can get a better price if they just ask for one.  That doesn't seem right to me.  It's not the money.  It's the principle.  It's the casual rip-off of the unaware or unaggressive.

When your tv starts having issues and by the time you realize you also realize/remember you have a 5 year warranty on it, it's two months too late. We could have gone the warranty route had we realized we were going to need to get another TV, but we just didn't know the issue was going to get worse until it did. Two months too late.

We're going out to buy a new tv today and hopefully will remember the warranty if this one starts acting up in 5 years or less. I'm pretty sure this is a lesson learned. We always get an extended warranty on electronics and it's paid off in the past when something has gone sideways, but most of those warranties are 2-3 years old. I didn't even think about this one being a 5-year. I won't forget it again.

Since when do we now cancel school for a cold front coming thru. Seems really odd to me.

(01-09-2024, 10:27 AM)surfon Wrote: Since when do we now cancel school for a cold front coming thru.  Seems really odd to me.

It’s the wind, which is forecast to reach gusts of nearly 50 mph.

(01-09-2024, 10:32 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 10:27 AM)surfon Wrote: Since when do we now cancel school for a cold front coming thru.  Seems really odd to me.

It’s the wind, which is forecast to reach gusts of nearly 50 mph.

Just looked at the weather radar.  There's a wall heading our way and it's just approaching Tallahassee now.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 02:09 PM by surfon. Edited 1 time in total.)

Umm yea that wind was less than most summer thunderstorms def did not warrant closing school.

Fast food prices have gotten out of hand I won't pay it anymore not that I ate it much anyway except for in a pinch or hurry. Hopefully others will stop also so they have to adjust their business model.
[

"trivial", I guess, but 13 minutes and 3.25 miles bike commute this AM and I couldn't feel my fingers. With two layers of gloves on. (TLH)

Thankfully the ride home will be more forgiving.

Full screen ads that now take over the screen in some apps. This is a new thing and it’s very annoying. Sometimes I just close the app and reopen rather than look at these ads. It’s ridiculous.

Sellers on eBay who post pictures that are out of focus. They’re either hiding something or are just plain stupid.

(01-27-2024, 10:57 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Sellers on eBay who post pictures that are out of focus. They’re either hiding something or are just plain stupid.

Why not both? Laughing

(01-29-2024, 06:23 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(01-27-2024, 10:57 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Sellers on eBay who post pictures that are out of focus. They’re either hiding something or are just plain stupid.

Why not both? Laughing

It’s almost impossible to take an out-of-focus picture of a stationary object with a smart phone, but somehow they manage, and then post it. I’ll add lazy, too.

Jeff Prosser asking another question of a guest before they get one sentence into answering his last question. 

He had Matt Every on the show this morning who was attempting to regale the audience with stories from playing pro-am golf tournaments at Pebble Beach. Before he gets four words into a sentence, Prosser is interrupting him with another question. 

Shut up, Jeff Prosser!

(01-30-2024, 09:06 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 06:23 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Why not both? Laughing

It’s almost impossible to take an out-of-focus picture of a stationary object with a smart phone, but somehow they manage, and then post it. I’ll add lazy, too.

My dad has the same phone I do, but I swear to god, he will text me a pic of something and it’s like those 1960’s pics of Big Foot or Nessie! What the heck is that blob supposed to be there dad???

Why are people wearing shorts and t-shirts in this weather?