Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(02-29-2024, 09:09 AM)Hurricane Wrote: Walnut Trees.

I have a walnut tree next to my garage that hoovers over my driveway. I absolutely love all the shade it provides in the summer on hot days, but man do them walnuts make a mess of everything. Can't park a car anywhere close to it or it'll get all dented up. As they fall on my garage roof it sounds like a shotgun going off. Sadly I think this may be the year I cut it down.

Hoovers suck.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-29-2024, 09:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I have a walnut tree next to my garage that hoovers over my driveway. I absolutely love all the shade it provides in the summer on hot days, but man do them walnuts make a mess of everything. Can't park a car anywhere close to it or it'll get all dented up. As they fall on my garage roof it sounds like a shotgun going off. Sadly I think this may be the year I cut it down.

Is it possible to emasculate a walnut tree?

No, but it may choose to identify that way.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(02-29-2024, 09:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Is it possible to emasculate a walnut tree?

I've tried some spray that is suppose to slow the production, but the tree is just so big I would need a lift in order to actually cover the whole thing. I want to say it helped some, but not near enough. 

For example, 2 years ago we filled 2 55 gallon trash cans with walnuts off the ground. Last year we only needed 1 55 gallon can. Honestly the tree bearing any nuts is just too big of a mess and hassle where its located. Run over a walnut and it just gets mashed up all in the stones.
In Dougie I Trust!

We live in an area called the sandhills and our very large cat loves to roll around in our sandy backyard where there is no grass then come in the house and plop down on the floor or, worse, in my lounge chair. This dislodges all of that sand and he couldn't care less.

When I first moved here I would get so aggravated at the amount of sand we would track in the house no matter how much we wiped and scraped our shoes off outside. I was sweeping several times a day so we wouldn't jack up the flooring while walking on the gritty sand. Now I just do it out of habit. We also screwed down an outdoor boot brush to the front and back porches that helps cut down the sand. That stuff will seriously scuff up your floors if you're not diligent.

(02-29-2024, 12:48 PM)Hurricane Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 09:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Is it possible to emasculate a walnut tree?

I've tried some spray that is suppose to slow the production, but the tree is just so big I would need a lift in order to actually cover the whole thing. I want to say it helped some, but not near enough. 

For example, 2 years ago we filled 2 55 gallon trash cans with walnuts off the ground. Last year we only needed 1 55 gallon can. Honestly the tree bearing any nuts is just too big of a mess and hassle where its located. Run over a walnut and it just gets mashed up all in the stones.

Have you tried playing recordings of The View?

(02-29-2024, 05:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: We live in an area called the sandhills and our very large cat loves to roll around in our sandy backyard where there is no grass then come in the house and plop down on the floor or, worse, in my lounge chair. This dislodges all of that sand and he couldn't care less.

When I first moved here I would get so aggravated at the amount of sand we would track in the house no matter how much we wiped and scraped our shoes off outside. I was sweeping several times a day so we wouldn't jack up the flooring while walking on the gritty sand. Now I just do it out of habit. We also screwed down an outdoor boot brush to the front and back porches that helps cut down the sand. That stuff will seriously scuff up your floors if you're not diligent.

I love The Sandhills. That’s beautiful country. I stayed in Southern Pines whenever I was working at Bragg.

An item ordered on Amazon was supposed to be here yesterday and shipped via UPS. Then I receive a notification the item has been delayed in shipment and won’t arrive until March 6th. An entire week?

My guess is UPS doesn’t want to say the item was most likely damaged or destroyed in transit, so they’re just going to make me wait a week before claiming a refund. Either that or it was accidentally routed to Sri Lanka.

(03-01-2024, 12:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: An item ordered on Amazon was supposed to be here yesterday and shipped via UPS. Then I receive a notification the item has been delayed in shipment and won’t arrive until March 6th. An entire week?

My guess is UPS doesn’t want to say the item was most likely damaged or destroyed in transit, so they’re just going to make me wait a week before claiming a refund. Either that or it was accidentally routed to Sri Lanka.

They've done that to me when they've lost the item.  I never get my delivery when it's delayed to that extent.

(02-29-2024, 12:48 PM)Hurricane Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 09:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Is it possible to emasculate a walnut tree?

Sounds as bad as a Magnolia Tree with their huge seeds.. Don't wanna hit those with the mower, it'll take a damn window out haha
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(02-29-2024, 06:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 05:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: We live in an area called the sandhills and our very large cat loves to roll around in our sandy backyard where there is no grass then come in the house and plop down on the floor or, worse, in my lounge chair. This dislodges all of that sand and he couldn't care less.

I love The Sandhills. That’s beautiful country. I stayed in Southern Pines whenever I was working at Bragg.

It's getting super busy here. I don't know the last time you were here but since 2011 it has been growing then all of a sudden it just exploded. I think the U.S. Open moving their HQ here has something to do with it but even before that announcement things were expanding quite a bit.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 12:02 AM by surfon.)

(03-01-2024, 12:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: An item ordered on Amazon was supposed to be here yesterday and shipped via UPS. Then I receive a notification the item has been delayed in shipment and won’t arrive until March 6th. An entire week?

Amazon is going downhill.  Had several items just lost in transit recently.

Apps for fast food are stupid.

The restaurant service level has not recovered since Covid. I routinely get items left out of the bag and estimated completion times from restaurant apps way under what I actually experience.

(03-04-2024, 04:22 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The restaurant service level has not recovered since Covid.  I routinely get items left out of the bag and estimated completion times from restaurant apps way under what I actually experience.

A few weeks ago, the wife and I got a couple of fudge sundaes from McDonalds and when we got to the window to pay, the girl handed us our sundaes and I asked for a bag of the crushed peanuts that goes with them. She told me that they stopped with the crushed peanuts. I asked why and she said Covid lololol
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Went to three different auto shops got three different estimates of work needed for front steering/suspension work. 4wd truck. Thats fun.

I dropped my Oakley sunglasses on concrete (because I don’t have anything better to do) and it caused a chip in the coating right smack dab in the middle of my field of vision on the right eye. Replacement lenses from Oakley cost $128, so I purchased some from an aftermarket manufacturer for much cheaper. Until I receive them, that chip annoys the hell out of me whenever I wear my sunglasses.

I hope these aftermarket lenses are good. I really don’t want to shell out that much money for replacements from Oakley, which are flawless when not dropped on concrete.

(03-21-2024, 07:19 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I dropped my Oakley sunglasses on concrete (because I don’t have anything better to do) and it caused a chip in the coating right smack dab in the middle of my field of vision on the right eye. Replacement lenses from Oakley cost $128, so I purchased some from an aftermarket manufacturer for much cheaper. Until I receive them, that chip annoys the hell out of me whenever I wear my sunglasses.

I hope these aftermarket lenses are good. I really don’t want to shell out that much money for replacements from Oakley, which are flawless when not dropped on concrete.

I remember as a kid in 8th grade going to Washington DC as a field trip. I had saved up a few hundred extra dollars from working in my dads auto salvage. I spent most of it on the knock off Oakleys they were selling on the streets. I thought for sure I was gonna end up rich from reselling. Boy was I wrong  Laughing
In Dougie I Trust!

(03-21-2024, 07:25 AM)Hurricane Wrote:
(03-21-2024, 07:19 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I dropped my Oakley sunglasses on concrete (because I don’t have anything better to do) and it caused a chip in the coating right smack dab in the middle of my field of vision on the right eye. Replacement lenses from Oakley cost $128, so I purchased some from an aftermarket manufacturer for much cheaper. Until I receive them, that chip annoys the hell out of me whenever I wear my sunglasses.

I remember as a kid in 8th grade going to Washington DC as a field trip. I had saved up a few hundred extra dollars from working in my dads auto salvage. I spent most of it on the knock off Oakleys they were selling on the streets. I thought for sure I was gonna end up rich from reselling. Boy was I wrong  Laughing

But on the bright side, you have enough glasses to last the rest of your life.

One thing I found out recently is that if you leave a pair of glasses in your car on a hot day, the anti-reflective coating will melt, and ruin your glasses.

(03-21-2024, 07:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: One thing I found out recently is that if you leave a pair of glasses in your car on a hot day, the anti-reflective coating will melt, and ruin your glasses.

Another good thing about the Oakleys is that isn’t an issue. I keep them in the overhead compartment, right under the roof sheet metal, where it gets hot enough to bake a cake and I’ve never had an issue. However, that is something I’ll watch out for with these aftermarket replacement lenses.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2024, 08:02 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-21-2024, 07:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-21-2024, 07:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: One thing I found out recently is that if you leave a pair of glasses in your car on a hot day, the anti-reflective coating will melt, and ruin your glasses.

Another good thing about the Oakleys is that isn’t an issue. I keep them in the overhead compartment, right under the roof sheet metal, where it gets hot enough to bake a cake and I’ve never had an issue. However, that is something I’ll watch out for with these aftermarket replacement lenses.

It was an expensive lesson.  I noticed that if I held my glasses under a bright light, they had "crazing," which looked like someone had taken fine sandpaper to the lenses.  I found out it was the anti-reflective coating that melts in a hot car.