Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gender UNKNOWN

(07-20-2017, 12:01 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(07-19-2017, 11:35 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Room color?

Seriously, your argument is that gender isn't important to an infant and can be withheld until a later date? What date would that be? What is there to decide exactly?

I didn't argue anything, just asked a question.

Never mind the room color. Are they going to call the child "it" instead of him/her, his/hers, he/she? Will everyone be calling the child "it"? Talk about demoralizing.

The report that StroudCrowd1 "heard about" was about a transgender parent not specifying a gender on a document required for the child's health coverage. As usual, he's extrapolating another end to civilization from a source he "heard about", but I digress.

Just for discussion purposes, if this parent chooses to dress the child in gender non-specific clothes, is it harming the child? If the room color is green, not pink or blue, is irreparable harm done? The child's doctor presumably knows enough about the child to make informed decisions concerning the child's health. The bathroom choice would be dicey but by the time the child is going into a public facility on its own I imagine it has a better idea where it will be more comfortable.

The last time I was around a child they called "it" by "its" name.

I'm not saying this case isn't extreme, the parent in question is an activist, but I don't think some relaxation of society's expectations is outrageous and a threat to life as we know it.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-20-2017, 03:10 AM)lastonealive Wrote: I'd rather my gender was left off a bit of paper than given a stupid name

I don't know. I think a birth certificate with "attack helicopter" on it would be pretty damn cool.

(07-22-2017, 12:59 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-20-2017, 12:01 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Never mind the room color. Are they going to call the child "it" instead of him/her, his/hers, he/she? Will everyone be calling the child "it"? Talk about demoralizing.

The report that StroudCrowd1 "heard about" was about a transgender parent not specifying a gender on a document required for the child's health coverage. As usual, he's extrapolating another end to civilization from a source he "heard about", but I digress.

Just for discussion purposes, if this parent chooses to dress the child in gender non-specific clothes, is it harming the child? If the room color is green, not pink or blue, is irreparable harm done? The child's doctor presumably knows enough about the child to make informed decisions concerning the child's health. The bathroom choice would be dicey but by the time the child is going into a public facility on its own I imagine it has a better idea where it will be more comfortable.

I'm not saying this case isn't extreme, the parent in question is an activist, but I don't think some relaxation of society's expectations is outrageous and a threat to life as we know it.

You're being awfully presumptuous with your pronoun usage.  Some might find that offensive.  We don't know how StroudCrowd1 is identifying today. Banana
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(07-25-2017, 09:46 AM)FBT Wrote:
(07-22-2017, 12:59 PM)rollerjag Wrote: The report that StroudCrowd1 "heard about" was about a transgender parent not specifying a gender on a document required for the child's health coverage. As usual, he's extrapolating another end to civilization from a source he "heard about", but I digress.

You're being awfully presumptuous with your pronoun usage.  Some might find that offensive.  We don't know how StroudCrowd1 is identifying today. Banana

Not to mention that RJ called the child "it" in his very response.  Laughing

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I keep coming back to the song Destination Unknown by the band Missing Persons when I view this topic.

.... just one of those things that really has no real explanation when a song pops in your head ...

(07-22-2017, 12:59 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-20-2017, 12:01 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Never mind the room color. Are they going to call the child "it" instead of him/her, his/hers, he/she? Will everyone be calling the child "it"? Talk about demoralizing.

So what would you call the child in a situation where pronouns are used? Or would you just use the child's name every single time?

And who said anything about the end of civilization?

(07-25-2017, 08:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(07-22-2017, 12:59 PM)rollerjag Wrote: The report that StroudCrowd1 "heard about" was about a transgender parent not specifying a gender on a document required for the child's health coverage. As usual, he's extrapolating another end to civilization from a source he "heard about", but I digress.

So what would you call the child in a situation where pronouns are used? Or would you just use the child's name every single time?

I did.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-25-2017, 12:18 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I keep coming back to the song Destination Unknown by the band Missing Persons when I view this topic.

.... just one of those things that really has no real explanation when a song pops in your head ...

I keep thinking of movie quotes.  But changing the words around.  For instance,
''Where we're going, we don't need penises"

(07-25-2017, 08:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

What does it matter? Do you think a child who has never been referred to by a gender specific pronoun will be demoralized by being called something else?
- Bob Marley

(07-26-2017, 02:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-25-2017, 08:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So what would you call the child in a situation where pronouns are used? Or would you just use the child's name every single time?

I did.

Did civilization end with women's suiffrage or the end of bans on interracial marriages? These, too, were once considered violations of nature and societal norms.
- Bob Marley

(07-26-2017, 10:19 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-26-2017, 02:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I did.

Did civilization end with women's suiffrage or the end of bans on interracial marriages? These, too, were once considered violations of nature and societal norms.

Those things released bonds; the left, by contrast, is creating them. You will be made to care, they demand it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Depends who you ask...

(07-27-2017, 12:55 PM)Kane Wrote:
(07-26-2017, 10:19 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Did civilization end with women's suiffrage or the end of bans on interracial marriages? These, too, were once considered violations of nature and societal norms.

Depends who you ask...

Depending on who you ask (possibly on this board), women's suffrage and interracial marriage might still be violations of nature and societal norms.

(07-26-2017, 10:16 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-25-2017, 08:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So what would you call the child in a situation where pronouns are used? Or would you just use the child's name every single time?

What does it matter? Do you think a child who has never been referred to by a gender specific pronoun will be demoralized by being called something else?

So pronouns don't matter? And when a kid gets to be school age there will be plenty of people calling them he or she because that's how the majority of the world speaks. When the kid is confused what are the parents going to tell him/her? 

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm sincerely curious to know how this would be handled in a way that wouldn't be confusing because the world we live in is not going to make sense to a kid who doesn't know any better.

My 3 year old asked what that black circle in the middle of the road was. I told him it's a manhole and realized some day, it may be called an it-hole.

How sad.

(07-18-2017, 11:18 AM)rollerjag Wrote: It is important for gender roles to be established. How else will misogynists and homophobes know who to insult, objectify, fear and/or harass? It's so confusing.

Well why can't I identify as unknown on my profile?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(08-01-2017, 04:51 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 11:18 AM)rollerjag Wrote: It is important for gender roles to be established. How else will misogynists and homophobes know who to insult, objectify, fear and/or harass? It's so confusing.

Well why can't I identify as unknown on my profile?

The message board software knows more than you may suspect.
- Bob Marley

So much expertise in this thread..

If it isn't your kid.. honestly, what do you care? Chances are, if the kid is born with an "innie" it will self identify as a girl and if it has an "outie" it will self identify as a boy.

As we know, this is not always the case. I have been very vocal about a friend I have who thought she had twin boys until one started getting very frustrated around the age of two asking, "why do you keep calling me a boy?" A couple years later, after several visits with professionals, they allowed their daughter to be who she was always meant to be.

You can call it a mental disorder or a natural deviation from the norm. It doesn't matter. The kid has a girl's brain in a boy's body. It has absolutely nothing to do with sexuality or sexual attraction. She's heading into 2nd grade for crying out loud. It's just who she is.

If these parents want to raise their child without placing it in a "box", so be it. Better to do this then to have a kid who identifies as a different sex and is mentally or physically abused by their parents for nonconformity to the social norms. Gay people exist. Trans people exist. Intersex people exist. They always have. You can get skeeved out by it for being unusual and not typical. Or you can educate yourself and maybe show a little [BLEEP] compassion for the fact these people have to deal with the types of comments in this thread unprovoked on an almost daily basis.
Only a chump boos the home team!

(08-03-2017, 02:37 PM)Kotite Wrote: So much expertise in this thread..

If it isn't your kid..  honestly, what do you care?  Chances are, if the kid is born with an "innie" it will self identify as a girl and if it has an "outie" it will self identify as a boy.

As we know, this is not always the case. I have been very vocal about a friend I have who thought she had twin boys until one started getting very frustrated around the age of two asking, "why do you keep calling me a boy?" A couple years later, after several visits with professionals, they allowed their daughter to be who she was always meant to be.

You can call it a mental disorder or a natural deviation from the norm. It doesn't matter. The kid has a girl's brain in a boy's body. It has absolutely nothing to do with sexuality or sexual attraction. She's heading into 2nd grade for crying out loud. It's just who she is.

If these parents want to raise their child without placing it in a "box", so be it. Better to do this then to have a kid who identifies as a different sex and is mentally or physically abused by their parents for nonconformity to the social norms.  Gay people exist. Trans people exist. Intersex people exist. They always have. You can get skeeved out by it for being unusual and not typical. Or you can educate yourself and maybe show a little [BLEEP] compassion for the fact these people have to deal with the types of comments in this thread unprovoked on an almost daily basis.

Perhaps telling the two year old boy that they call him a boy because he has a "wee wee" would be a good start.

You know... science (anatomy) and all of that.  Of course with liberals, science only matters when it comes to global warming climate change.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Intersex? Wth? Do these new 'identities' pop up daily? Need a freaking daily sexual identity calendar. I can't keep up anymore. I'm certainly not googling that. Can someone explain?