Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Just told I have cancer.

Back in 2006, they removed an ugly-looking mole from my back that tested positive for melanoma. However, they managed to remove the mole cleanly and didn't detect any additional cancer. I thought my worries were over until now. Just over a year ago, a dermatologist noticed a small cyst in my underarm that he said didn't feel right, and wanted removed. Unfortunately, I lost my job right after and never did have it looked into until recently now that it's a massive baseball-sized cyst. Sure enough, the melanoma is back, and since I delayed this so long they're insisting on moving quickly.

This board is sort of an online family to me, so I thought you should know.
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-27-2017, 02:50 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Back in 2006, they removed an ugly-looking mole from my back that tested positive for melanoma. However, they managed to remove the mole cleanly and didn't detect any additional cancer. I thought my worries were over until now. Just over a year ago, a dermatologist noticed a small cyst in my underarm that he said didn't feel right, and wanted removed. Unfortunately, I lost my job right after and never did have it looked into until recently now that it's a massive baseball-sized cyst. Sure enough, the melanoma is back, and since I delayed this so long they're insisting on moving quickly.

Damn, brother.  I just despise this disease. 

I pray you can get past this, man. Here's hoping it's only in the one spot and not spread elsewhere. 

Hang tough, my man.

(07-27-2017, 02:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 02:50 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Back in 2006, they removed an ugly-looking mole from my back that tested positive for melanoma. However, they managed to remove the mole cleanly and didn't detect any additional cancer. I thought my worries were over until now. Just over a year ago, a dermatologist noticed a small cyst in my underarm that he said didn't feel right, and wanted removed. Unfortunately, I lost my job right after and never did have it looked into until recently now that it's a massive baseball-sized cyst. Sure enough, the melanoma is back, and since I delayed this so long they're insisting on moving quickly.

Damn, brother.  I just despise this disease. 

I pray you can get past this, man. Here's hoping it's only in the one spot and not spread elsewhere. 

Hang tough, my man.

I don't think it's spread as I'm not noticing additional cysts like this. Also, they said it's a good sign that it was over a decade from the time I had the mole with melanoma removed until this cyst first appeared.

'02

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2017, 03:39 PM by JagsorDie.)

Damn man, ill send one upstairs for you. I hope everything goes well.

i had a similar situation happen a few months back. I had a head injury over a year ago that drove my health inssurance up a bit so i was in the process of switching when i noticed a large mole on my back that i immediantly had checked. The doctors wanted to do a operation quickly but i was in the process of switching insurances so i held off. By the time i got everything cleared with insuarnce, they were worried it had spread so i went through quite a few procedures before they finally cleared me and removed the original mole. Everything went well and now i am in the clear. But it was a trying few months.

You just have to keep your head up man. Life throws some adversity at us  and we find out what we are made of. Everything will work out.

Baseball sized cyst?  Dude...

I hope everything works out for you.  Treatment for cancer has gotten better over the years, but it's still not an easy thing to go through.  I hope and wish nothing but the best for you.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Damn man, prayers
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(07-27-2017, 03:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Baseball sized cyst?  Dude...

I hope everything works out for you.  Treatment for cancer has gotten better over the years, but it's still not an easy thing to go through.  I hope and wish nothing but the best for you.

My wife is saying "softball" sized is more accurate.

I don't want to lose my hair. They need to figure out a way to treat me where I can keep my hair. I'm ghastly enough as it is.

'02

Damn.

My mom died of cancer.

Words cannot express my revulsion of that disease.  I sure hope you beat it.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Wish there was more research being done on thc/cbd oil treatments for skin cancer.
The anecdotal evidence is overwhelming. Studies by the Journal of Investigative Dermatology have shown great results. Multiple studies abroad have shown compelling data.

Yet one of the greatest scientific research countries with significant resources sits on the sidelines.

Chemo is just so damaging. How every resource isnt being used to replace it, is just unfathomable.

My ranting aside, I wish you the best of luck.

(07-27-2017, 04:39 PM)jagshype Wrote: Wish there was more research being done on thc/cbd oil treatments for skin cancer.
The anecdotal evidence is overwhelming. Studies by the Journal of Investigative Dermatology have shown great results. Multiple studies abroad have shown compelling data.

Yet one of the greatest scientific research countries with significant resources sits on the sidelines.

Chemo is just so damaging. How every resource isnt being used to replace it, is just unfathomable.

If thc or cbd worked to cure melanoma, I'd have licked this a long time ago. 
'02

(07-27-2017, 04:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 03:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Baseball sized cyst?  Dude...

My wife is saying "softball" sized is more accurate.

I don't want to lose my hair. They need to figure out a way to treat me where I can keep my hair. I'm ghastly enough as it is.

Dude.  Losing your hair is the last thing that you should worry about.  Seriously.  It grows back eventually.

You need to put it in your mind right now (and truly believe it) that you are going to beat this thing.

My sister, who I admire tremendously had to go through chemo years ago and lost her hair.  She flew down her to Florida just to "get away" from everybody else when her hair was about the equivalent of a "crew cut" (even shorter).

She refused to wear a wig or a hat to conceal it in any way, and part of that was so that she could make people aware.  She went out in public with us and endured "the looks" because of her appearance and wore it like a badge.

She won the battle and eventually became a nurse (RN) and specifically devoted her time to treating cancer patients, especially children.

I guess my point is that she was always optimistic about things and accepted what happened to her physically (look wise) and never let it get her down.

If/when you lose your hair, that's just a very minor issue.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

You're not THAT ghastly. When I met you in Oregon a few years ago, you seemed fairly normal, at least until we drank all those beers at that festival. Seriously though, I hope you get treatment immediately and lick this thing.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(((Hugs)))
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I am currently being treated for skin cancer as well, but so far it looks like it's just basal cell. One of the spots is almost exactly where one would get a tracheotomy so it's pretty noticeable right now having just been scraped and burned last week and it being hot weather so I'm not wearing turtlenecks. I get funny looks but I don't care. And depending on who asks me depends on how I answer the question of, "What happened to you?" Sometimes I'm a smarty pants about it, other times I just say what it is. My other spot is on my back between my shoulder blades which hurts like a mother every time I move.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Cancer sucks but you've got this. And don't worry about your hair. It will come back!

I think we all have something going on, even if it's not happening to us directly. That's how this week feels at any rate.

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2017, 08:25 PM by copycat.)

Best of luck 02! I have faith that you can whip this [BLEEP] [BLEEP]!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(07-27-2017, 04:52 PM)Jags02 Wrote: If thc or cbd worked to cure melanoma, I'd have licked this a long time ago. 

Still, no reason to stop.

Fight the good fight, Fred. You'll beat this.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(07-27-2017, 04:52 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 04:39 PM)jagshype Wrote: Wish there was more research being done on thc/cbd oil treatments for skin cancer.

If thc or cbd worked to cure melanoma, I'd have licked this a long time ago. 

From what I understand melanoma is one of the few cancers for which there is a non-chemo treatment. But from your description it doesn't sound as if melanoma is what you have this time.

We had a dog with melanoma and he was given six months to live. I fed him two borage oil capsules every day (he weighed 25 lb) and he lived for two years before he died of old age. It may have been a successful treatment, or it may have just been a coincidence. Borage oil is rich in GLA which is an angiogenesis inhibitor, and that's why I gave it to him. I'm not suggesting you load up on borage oil, it's probably worthless, but you might want to ask your oncologist about angiogenesis inhibitors.

What matters is that you decide the best treatment and then go whole hog on it. You need to do whatever it takes to beat this.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I'd like to propose that you name the cyst Henne, because you can totally take down Chad Henne. Smile

Welcome to the club. Sad

I have been living with mine for almost 3 years now. Due to insurance changes, I am likely going to discontinue all treatment and let nature run it's course.

Cancer sucks.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2017, 11:52 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Ah man! I am sorry! I will send a prayer for you. That sucks the way that went down.

You understand that cancer is your own cells multiplying too quickly and mutated right? In order to kill them, you have to give stuff that kills cells. Sometimes people can get the cells to go back on their own, but a lot of times you just have to give stuff that will kill fast cells first and hope you get the cancer before its too deadly to the patient. Thats why people loose hair (some of the fastest cells in the body) and have gut issues as well.

Sure you can do focused radiation sometimes, but not always, and even then some spots are too big. I hope no one on the board has to deal with cancer, but the defense is good diet exercise, and screening. Thats why you deal with the colonoscopys and prostate exams.

Edit: I am in no way opposed to more research on THC etc tho. I believe its benefits have long been ignored to protect some big industry's.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.