Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Did trading down work for Titans and Browns?

There's an interesting breakdown on the NFL website of picks the Titans and Browns were able to make with the picks they got from the Goff and Wentz trades.

Both trades should have given them ammunition to seriously improve their rosters, but has it worked out?  Reading these lists I'm not sure they've made the most of the opportunity..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...sf75109194

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I am not a huge fan of who the Browns have drafted. I think they have added a bunch of bodies but not a lot of really good football players.

But they have done a great job of adding picks.

Crazy that next year they have Houston's first and second round, Philly's second rounder and Carolina's fourth rounder.

;

;

Quote:I am not a huge fan of who the Browns have drafted. I think they have added a bunch of bodies but not a lot of really good football players.

But they have done a great job of adding picks.

Crazy that next year they have Houston's first and second round, Philly's second rounder and Carolina's fourth rounder.
By sheer volume they will hit on some guys eventually. You know, people fall in love with specific players every year, but then there turn out to be plenty of pro-bowl/all-pro level players below. I think the idea of just 'always trading down' might work in the same way Philidelphia 76er's 'process' is finally starting to work. Until everyone does it, you gain an advantage by being the only one doing it.

Also I have always wondered about just continually trading next years pick. What if you just did that every year? Would anyone ever just stop trading with you? I guess my point is, is that draft picks are pretty overvalued when a 'great draft' has only 2 pro-bowlers and a starter or two, with the rest being busts.  If a second round pick can get you a real pro-bowler in his prime, why is that a bad trade?

Guess this account is the one now? Rip HR86 2010-2017.

I like what the Browns have done, basically 3 straight years of loading up on draft picks. Provided they find a QB (they'll be drafting in the top 3 again), they should have a young/loaded roster for the next 3-6 years.

That's how you correctly build a team.

Browns will be loaded with picks in a qb rich draft. They won't be bottom feeders for long.

They'll be a scary team in a few years.

The Titans blew it big time. Corey Davis and Adoree Jackson are huge reaches. They could of had Jamal Adams and OJ Howard. I guess they figured they have Cyprien so they don't need a SS. Wow. Adoree Jackson will be a mismatch for any decent NFL receiver. 

They could have traded down and got Adoree Jackson.  That said, in any other year he's a first round draft pick.  I could not believe how far guys like Tankersly and Melifonwu fell!

Cleveland did what was best for their football team. Adding a monster off the edge, a solid receiving tight end and then a superb athlete in Peppers could go a long way. Kizer and Kessler battling it out this pre season will be fun to see. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2017, 07:08 AM by Caldrac.)

The tennessee tacks have done a nice job as well. They have the power running game down to a tee and now they've added speed on the outside to get deep and stretch the field for Mariota to take advantage of the play action game and his ability to get outside the pocket and get creative.

The only pick I am still on the fence about is Adoree' Jackson. Curious to see how they use him. I was thinking they would have went OJ Howard there. He seemed like a steal at that point and a perfect fit for their offense coming from a power run heavy offense in Alabama. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think Adoree Jackson was drafted by the Titans to counter TY Hilton and bolster the return game. He needs a little bit to polish up as a corner but I think in the end it was smart to take him over Howard. Still not getting the love Howard was receiving
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

I think we need to look again at the players the two teams got as a result of those trades - some of the players mentioned were players they selected with the picks they already had.

The Titans used the Goff trade to get -

Offensive tackle Jack Conklin

Defensive tackle Austin Johnson - 0.5 sacks, six solo tackles and a pass defensed in 10 appearances - 190 total snaps

Running back Derrick Henry - 110 carries for 490 yards and five touchdowns

Cornerback LeShaun Sims - 13 appearances, 2 starts, 1 interception, three pass breakups, two fumble recoveries and 17 solo tackles

Cornerback Karlan Reed - four appearances, 15 total snaps, 1 solo tackle

And this year they added -

Wide receiver Corey Davis at No. 5 overall in 2017

Tight end Jonnu Smith at No. 100 overall in 2017

Now, they could have had Conklin (or any other OT they wanted with the number one pick) so while it turned out well, I'm not sure you could say the trade allowed them to grab someone they wouldn't have otherwise got.

And Henry was a bonus for them, but again, they could have selected him with a pick they already had.

All the other picks have been pretty average at best.

If Davis and Smith don't turn out well, I think you could argue the Titans didn't make the most of that trade.