Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Brandon Albert Retired

Thankfully I never really had any expectation for a player who was acquired to mitigate the loss of money spent on Julius Thomas. I knew this seasons LT Position was going to be tough to solidify and opposing teams are going to try and expose this. Outside of that, this is really a non-story and only interesting because of the dramatic factor of a veteran up and retiring three days into training camp.

That being said, I really think Bowanko, Ohmameh were clearly ahead of Albert over the weekend - Albert looked horrendously out of shape and was not on the same level as the rest of the O-Line. Coughlin and Marrone are truly establishing a new culture and Albert was not in that place.

I'm not knocking Albert. I think Albert is a case of someone who was extremely talented at one point but his heart was never in being an NFL player honestly and his career path shows that.

Now It's all about Robinson, I don't think this situation is any cause for panic but rather an excitement. This team is deep at the guard position - Bowanko, Omameh, and Cann are three guys I feel very comfortable with as starters.

Robinson has really impressed me in his short time here. He brings the pro style work-ethic he got at Bama and he looks so light on his feet that I think it's pretty clear that Robinson was going to beat Albert who was clearly unmotivated. I kept rewatching those clips. That drill isn't the best for showcasing much outside of 1v1 and being able to see certain things. I thought Robinson and Bowanko looked fast. they were so light coming up from their stances. I'm really starting to like Robinson despite my draft day reservations on him.

Bowanko is coming into TC fighting for some starting reps. He looks like a tackle honestly which is interesting. the situation is far from perfect and I expect Robinson to have a rough day against JJ come week one. Ater the first weekend my guess at the starting 5 would look like this and I am more than okay with it.

Robinson
Bowanko
Linder
Omemeh
Parnell

Other Options:
As far as Free Agents go, Name Wise at least - Ryan Clady and Austin Howard are still FA's

Possible trade scenarios for guys going into contract years are Chris Hairston and Nate Solder but I see no need to get that agressive

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Anyway else see this on NFLN and blurt out "haha because jaguars" and then immediately get looked at weird by your girl/friends?

(07-31-2017, 10:47 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 10:46 AM)Achilles Wrote: A few likely reasons, doesn't like that he has to compete for his spot, maybe he just doesn't have enough in the tank, or who knows....

Time to see what Robinson can do.

Listening to Jaguars Today and they are saying he looked slow and got beat by DFJ.

Donte put it on him back to back and he asked for the second go round.

NH3...
"AZANE"

...there was a reason the Phins were parting with Albert. It was not just due to others on the roster.

(07-31-2017, 02:45 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 10:47 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Listening to Jaguars Today and they are saying he looked slow and got beat by DFJ.

Donte put it on him back to back and he asked for the second go round.

NH3...

a guy as small as Fowler should not be putting you on your back

(07-31-2017, 02:43 PM)JagginAndSwaggin Wrote: Anyway else see this on NFLN and blurt out "haha because jaguars" and then immediately get looked at weird by your girl/friends?

No.

Well the saved cap space makes it easier to sign both Telvin and ARob to extensions
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(07-31-2017, 02:33 PM)newporttom Wrote: According to PFT Jags could claw back 3.4 million of Albert's signing bonus. MY guess is they don't but you never know.

I most certainly would. No reason to pay him for not doing anything. It's not like we have any loyalty or sentiment tied to him either.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(07-31-2017, 03:09 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 02:33 PM)newporttom Wrote: According to PFT Jags could claw back 3.4 million of Albert's signing bonus. MY guess is they don't but you never know.

I most certainly would. No reason to pay him for not doing anything. It's not like we have any loyalty or sentiment tied to him either.

Right, it's pure business. I'm fine with his decision, no need to be bitter about it but it's still the business.

Next man up!
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

So, what you are telling me is we have a rookie LT going against the Houston defense week 1? Aren't there any vets out there we can sign? Can we bring Eugene out of retirement?

(07-31-2017, 03:49 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So, what you are telling me is we have a rookie LT going against the Houston defense week 1? Aren't there any vets out there we can sign? Can we bring Eugene out of retirement?

He'll be alright. He was already beating Albert in the competition as it was. Just expect a lot of 2 TE sets and ground and pound.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Big Ben has had consistently bad O-line pass pro play throughout his career, but when he's been amazing it's always because of a powerful running game and Bens ability to throw on the run. I've always seen Blake as having a similar style to Big Ben. Blake has never had a run game before, but Blake is best throwing on the run. Hopefully Leonard will be exceptional enough to compensate for bad o-line play.

I've never been confident about the Albert decision so today is kind of a no biggie to me. Our O-line situation is a mess with or without Albert.

For those wondering the list below shows the current available free agent offensive tackles. Needless to say the list is uninspiring.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2017-nfl-free-agents-list/

Player [BLEEP]. Team Age Note

Jake Rodgers OT CAR 25 
Michael Oher OT CAR 31 
Pearce Slater OT CAR 23 
Mike Adams OT CHI 27 
Nick Becton OT CHI 27 
Darryl Baldwin OT DAL 25 
Levon Myers OT DAL 23 
Pierce Burton OT DET 26 
Dimitric Camiel OT HOU 23 
Colin Kelly OT JAX 27 
King Dunlap OT LAC 31 Retired
Mason Zandi OT LAC 23 
Kwayde Miller OT LAR 23 
Arturo Uzdavinis OT MIN 24 
Jake Long OT MIN 32 Retired
Nick Fett OT MIN 23 
Sebastian Vollmer OT NE 33 Retired
Will Beatty OT NYG 32 
Ryan Clady OT NYJ 30 
Austin Howard OT OAK 30 
Tyler Johnstone OT SD 24 
Gosder Cherilus OT TB 33 Retired
Houston Bates OT WAS 26

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2017, 04:50 PM by FreeAgent01.)

I'm more concerned with the newly vacated guard position than left tackle. Cam will likely be fine, but both guard spots are suspect... And Parnell leaves a lot to be desired as well.

I was never a fan of the Branden Albert trade to begin with, but to be fair, I was not a fan of drafting Cam Robinson either. I saw Robinson as a RT only and I still see him that way. I believe he just lacks the footwork to protect the QB's blindside. I have a bad feeling that this is gonna be painfully evident during the season, but now we have absolutely no backup plan, as we lack any other starting caliber option at LT on the current roster. I was praying we would draft Forest Lamp in round 2 and Dan Feeney in round 3 as both guys had experience at LT and OG. I believe their selections would've put us in a much better situation at our thinnest positions. We did a great job overhauling the defense, but I don't see an upgrade on the offensive side of the football at all. I like Fournette, but he needs a good O-Line to succeed and that is something we are sorely lacking other than Linder. I hope I'm wrong, but whether he would have lost the LT battle or not, losing Albert means we're worse off depth wise than we were and I find this extremely alarming.

(07-31-2017, 01:01 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Marrone is separating the men from the boys. His tough practices are making the cupcakes retire. Next up is Henne? Or will the clipboard god prevail? Stay tuned!
There is probably a lot of truth to this. Gus would likely have let him slide by- "he's a pro. Vets know when to be ready." Lol.

(07-31-2017, 01:57 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Albert tried to Hugh Douglas us but Coughwell didn't fall for it. Nicely done!
Also probably true. Good for Coughwell. It's the new Jags.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(07-31-2017, 05:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I was never a fan of the Branden Albert trade to begin with, but to be fair, I was not a fan of drafting Cam Robinson either. I saw Robinson as a RT only and I still see him that way. I believe he just lacks the footwork to protect the QB's blindside. I have a bad feeling that this is gonna be painfully evident during the season, but now we have absolutely no backup plan, as we lack any other starting caliber option at LT on the current roster. I was praying we would draft Forest Lamp in round 2 and Dan Feeney in round 3 as both guys had experience at LT and OG. I believe their selections would've put us in a much better situation at our thinnest positions. We did a great job overhauling the defense, but I don't see an upgrade on the offensive side of the football at all. I like Fournette, but he needs a good O-Line to succeed and that is something we are sorely lacking other than Linder. I hope I'm wrong, but whether he would have lost the LT battle or not, losing Albert means we're worse off depth wise than we were and I find this extremely alarming.

I hate to say this put we'll have to sign the crumbs and scraps from other team's cuts before the season. But from that list above I would try at least Beatty, Clady, and Kelly.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(07-31-2017, 05:29 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 05:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I was never a fan of the Branden Albert trade to begin with, but to be fair, I was not a fan of drafting Cam Robinson either. I saw Robinson as a RT only and I still see him that way. I believe he just lacks the footwork to protect the QB's blindside. I have a bad feeling that this is gonna be painfully evident during the season, but now we have absolutely no backup plan, as we lack any other starting caliber option at LT on the current roster. I was praying we would draft Forest Lamp in round 2 and Dan Feeney in round 3 as both guys had experience at LT and OG. I believe their selections would've put us in a much better situation at our thinnest positions. We did a great job overhauling the defense, but I don't see an upgrade on the offensive side of the football at all. I like Fournette, but he needs a good O-Line to succeed and that is something we are sorely lacking other than Linder. I hope I'm wrong, but whether he would have lost the LT battle or not, losing Albert means we're worse off depth wise than we were and I find this extremely alarming.

I hate to say this put we'll have to sign the crumbs and scraps from other team's cuts before the season. But from that list above I would try at least Beatty, Clady, and Kelly.

Personally, I believe we should avoid the guys on that list. I would at least inquire about Joe Staley. Late last season there were trade rumors swirling around him. We have an abundance of solid receivers and if we could move one of them and a mid round draft pick to acquire Staley, I wouldn't be opposed. That would only be if the Niners would agree. Maybe they wanna hold onto him though. I would at least ask about him. If that didn't work, I wait until cuts and see who is out there.

(07-31-2017, 05:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 05:29 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: I hate to say this put we'll have to sign the crumbs and scraps from other team's cuts before the season. But from that list above I would try at least Beatty, Clady, and Kelly.

Personally, I believe we should avoid the guys on that list. I would at least inquire about Joe Staley. Late last season there were trade rumors swirling around him. We have an abundance of solid receivers and if we could move one of them and a mid round draft pick to acquire Staley, I wouldn't be opposed. That would only be if the Niners would agree. Maybe they wanna hold onto him though. I would at least ask about him. If that didn't work, I wait until cuts and see who is out there.

Not even Clady or Beatty? And I'll move Greene in a heartbeat. We need to shop him to see if we can get a viable LT or OG.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend