Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Colin Kaepernick

Just a guy drawing needed attention to a social injustice? 

A dummy lacking a respect for our flag/anthem? 

A has-been? 

A better QB than Henne, or Bortles? 

All of the above? 

Discuss here rather than filling the football threads with politics, please.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The Baltimore Ravens fans shot down his bid to be with the team, He's un-patriotic, Un-American, and an [BLEEP]
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2017, 03:57 PM by The Real Marty.)

(08-03-2017, 02:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just a guy drawing needed attention to a social injustice?   Sort of.   

A dummy lacking a respect for our flag/anthem?   Yes.  

A has-been?   No.  

A better QB than Henne, or Bortles?   About the same.  

All of the above?  No.  

Kind of a dumb [BLEEP] who wants to be a social activist but lacks the basic knowledge or judgment necessary to play that role.

(08-03-2017, 02:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just a guy drawing needed attention to a social injustice? 

A dummy lacking a respect for our flag/anthem? 

A has-been? 

A better QB than Henne, or Bortles? 

All of the above? 

Quick answers to your questions.

1.  Yes

2.  Yes

3.  Yes

4.  No

Kaepernick is a talented and good athlete.  I'll give him that.  However, he is not a good NFL QB and chose to "protest" in the worst possible way.  I don't fault him for choosing to exorcise his right to do what he did, but he should have thought about the many consequences that come with it.

Just because in his mind he thinks that black people are "oppressed" or whatever doesn't mean that you dis-respect our flag and what it stands for.  When he did that openly, publicly and on national television he should have known that there would be apparent backlash for that.

If people think that they have it so bad today (including an NFL football player), they might want to do a bit of research and see what so many before us sacrificed in order for us to be a free nation.  They might want to research what The Flag, The National Anthem and The Pledge of Allegiance really is all about.

Explain to the mothers, fathers, husbands, wives or children of people that fought and died for what we have today exactly why someone like Kaepernick is protesting.

Come to think of it now, what exactly was he "protesting"?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Yes
Yes
Yes
No

Period. Irrelevant now.

Whose next?

I respect him for speaking his mind and standing (or kneeling) for what he believes in. I think he's a very average QB dependent upon the right system to succeed. I think he is potentially better than Bortles, certainly better than Henne, and I think bringing him in would be a very good thing on the football field.

I also think he'd end up on the receiving end of a precision strike from a squadron of F-18s if he were signed to a team in a military town like Jacksonville, which means that, unfortunately, we're not going to get the chance to see if he could outperform Bortles and deliver a couple extra W's.

[Image: 4617902.jpg]

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2017, 06:59 PM by Jags.)

Why are people so quick to rush and "respect" people for doing stupid [BLEEP]?  

'I respect Caitlyn Jenner because she has the balls courage to be mentally ill"

'I respect kaepernick for standing up against the country? you know, the one that any sane person would never leave. That crappy place"

I don't respect him for being a [BLEEP].  Nor "ms jenner' for that fact.

(08-03-2017, 06:53 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [Image: 4617902.jpg]

...and I'd believe it

He also sports pig socks and commie t-shirts. He can go to hell for all I care.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-03-2017, 06:58 PM)Jags Wrote: 'I respect kaepernick for standing up against the country? you know, the one that any sane person would never leave. That crappy place"

There's a difference between agreeing with someone and respecting them. I'll leave it there.

Well, if that's the case... then I say [BLEEP] him. He can kiss my [BLEEP].

He's hardly the first black athlete to use his status as a visible sports figure to raise awareness about social issues. Tommie Smith, John Carlos, Muhammad Ali, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, Jim Brown, Carlos Delgado. Kap wasn't even the only NFL player to demonstrate during the anthem.

It is not surprising he caught flak for this. Pretty much all of these people did. He knelt because he saw a rash of unarmed black kids getting killed by cops who were never adequately punished for their actions. He took a stand to say there was not "liberty and justice for all." And people lost their damn minds.

Plenty of military folks are on record as saying they fight for his right to take such a stand, even if they don't agree with it. Those that support his stand love him for it. Those that were offended by it loathe him for it.

But all of that venom rings a little hollow when you never hear how offended these same people are of Arian Foster, ex-Jag Brandon Marshall, Jelani Jenkins, Eric Reid, Eli Harold, T.J. Ward, Kenny Stills and Michael Thomas who all also kneeled for the anthem. Do US Women's Soccer fans have these same knives out for Megan Rapinoe who did the same thing in support of Kap?

If you're offended by what Kap did and don't buy what he says he was trying to do, that's your right. You're not alone. He is about as polarizing a figure as you're gonna get these days. But at least he had the guts to do something, whether you agree with it or not, when he saw injustice he wanted to change.
Only a chump boos the home team!

(08-03-2017, 08:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He also sports pig socks and commie t-shirts. He can go to hell for all I care.

Agreed..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Considering the extremely disrespectful picture that Kaepernick's gf posted last night about Ray lewis and the Ravens owner comparing them to Samuel L Jackson and Leonardo Decaprio in Django, I'm assuming his chances of going there may have significantly dropped.

He has also decided to wear a Fidel Castro t shirt, and when pressed about why he wore it he said that unlike America Fidel Castro put more money into its education system than the prison system. Unfortunately because of the type of regime in Cuba, we don't actually know the numbers there. Even if what he is saying is true, should we ignore the brutality of the regime? Should we ignore the living conditions of the country and the reasons he put the country in those conditions? Should we ignore the fact that Kaepernick's facts were completely wrong and the US spends 6 or 7 times more on education than the prison system?

He then compared the breaking up of families in Cuba by the Castro regime to people in the US going to prison....

Why would an owner take a chance of these types of things happening while on their watch?

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2017, 10:53 AM by The Real Marty.)

(08-03-2017, 08:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He also sports pig socks and commie t-shirts. He can go to hell for all I care.

I was dubious about that kneeling for the national anthem.  At the very least, that is counterproductive and will only alienate people.   But when he defended Fidel Castro, that just confirmed, Colin Kaepernick is an ignorant fool. I really don't want anyone that stupid anywhere near my team.

He's a confused child parroting the words of his globalist girlfriend Nessa Diab.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2017, 11:18 AM by jagshype.)

Not a fan of CCowherd, but he makes a decent point

[video=youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXXs7PG0f7o[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXXs7PG0f7o

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2017, 12:27 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

The 1 thing that continually gets ignored by the media is the question HOW MUCH $$ IS KAEPERNICK SEEKING IN HIS CONTRACT?

I mean seriously, when you're paying Flacco $20m/year you don't have room for pay a backup $10m so I think it's short sighted to just say GMs and Owners have blackballed him from the NFL

(08-04-2017, 11:14 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: He's a confused child parroting the words of his globalist girlfriend Nessa Diab.

Ouch !!  Definitely not the hottest chick in the coop .... especially for someone that has $50m in their bank account.

[Image: Nessa+Backstage+mtvU+Woodie+Awards+CH_kHgNvXpKl.jpg]

He is a punk.

[Image: kaepernick-socks-cops-08-31-16.png]
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(08-03-2017, 11:05 PM)Kotite Wrote: But all of that venom rings a little hollow when you never hear how offended these same people are of Arian Foster, ex-Jag Brandon Marshall, Jelani Jenkins, Eric Reid, Eli Harold, T.J. Ward, Kenny Stills and Michael Thomas who all also kneeled for the anthem.  Do US Women's Soccer fans have these same knives out for Megan Rapinoe who did the same thing in support of Kap?

Hello again old friend.  I have missed you terribly. 

You have answered your own question.  The media is packaging this as Kap being blackballed because of kneeling in non violent protest.  As you so eloquently mentioned, there were a lot of athletes that followed suit, the year before the rams had two or three players run onto the field with the hands up don't shoot symbol.  Kap didn't create this big a backlash from that gesture which even I, the owner of the ravens, and a bevy of others that disagree with his point of view stil respect because it still shows some level of humility and respect for the flag.  He created the backlash by SITTING during the anthem to begin with, which left a bad impression, wearing socks that depicted cops as pigs which stepped to close to the "pigs in a blanket, fry em like bacon,"  "What do we want, DEAD COPS, when do we want it NOW" crowd that has precipitated the assassination of dozens of officers including a public shooting rampage in Dallas Texas.  He also destroyed his credibility when he wore a T-Shirt depicting Fidel Castro and proceded to lecture a Cuban Ex-patriot on the reported literacy rates and education spending in the country that persecuted and tore apart his family.  So this isn't just about kneeling or protesting.  This is about being too closely aligned with an anti-American anti-law enforcement sentiment that turns off too many potential viewers.  Since this whole saga has started viewership for the most powerful sports entity in the country is down.  No one is going to step out on a limb and risk their revenue stream and the future of their brand for a back up QB. 

And I wanted to write this before the GF tweet. 

Formalities aside, lets be honest.  This isn't Malcom, this isn't Martin.  this is a punk kid trying to find himself that decided to do something without thinking it through.  There is no need to try and make him into a folk hero.