Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Colin Kaepernick

I don't care that Ramsey liked the tweet. I'm not surprised either.
I'm also not surprised that Spike Lee, who I kinda forgot existed, would do this.

Is this political? I suppose it is a lil political now for everyone involved. But I refuse to believe that Kaep is talented ENOUGH to warrant the circus of media that will undoubtedly follow him as a starter OR a back up into the season. So he isn't being employed because HE made the CHOICE to do something pretty stupid... put his politics above himself and his career at such a young age. It was his right and now he has the responsibility of dealing with whatever happens from exercising your rights. Is it fair? Maybe not... but if he was a better QB it wouldn't matter. He'd have a job, whether in Seattle... or Baltimore.. or Miami.. or Jacksonville.

But he isn't a better. He's just some running around QB who had a good run on a really good team, years ago.
Is he better than most backups? Yeah, probably... but not good enough to warrant the media asking about your backup every day. Sorry... that's the biz...
Don't like the biz? Stop buying it. Stop watching. But please for the love of God, stop [BLEEP] about this frickin guy not gettin a fair break.
When you make a polarizing statement like that... you are opting out of fair breaks and going for ground breaking.

I'd respect him so much more if he kept it up and gave to flips about football to continue his message. But he tucked tail and ran as soon as it got hard.
Well, America doesn't forget. We have MEMEs and saved tweets and instagrams now.
Why are teams willing to brush aside assault and drug charges for defensive ends? Cuz there aren't enough pass rushers.
Why did Adrian Peterson get another shot after whipping his kid til he bled? Cuz AP was a beast for a decade at the shortest shelf life position.
Why wouldn't Kaep get a shot??? Great QBs don't grow on trees ya know! So why isn't he getting a fair shot?? Oh.. he's not good enough.
Period.

/thread

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-09-2017, 08:46 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 08:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm sorry, but that's a complete load of bull. Kaepernick intentionally offended at least half of the NFL's customer base with his actions. If I had an employee who did that he would also be gone. Being in the NFL is a privilege not a right, and Kaepernick exercised his rights in a place where his right to free speech is not protected. This is not the government sanctioning him, it's his employer, and the 1st Amendment doesn't protect him from their actions any more than it would allow me to go to church on my boss's time. Had the US Marshal arrived and forced him to stand up then I'd protest his treatment, but what he's getting is fair.

It's not bull [BLEEP]. It's the truth. Again, how am I wrong? It's cool to punch women? It's cool to slap them around? It's cool to abuse children? It's cool to cheat the game and system for a competitive advantage? It's cool to pay players under the table to deliberately go out of their ways to put players out? And still get to keep their jobs? it's alright to smoke weed, snort cocaine, drink lean or take steroids? Come on. That in essence on it's own is utter bull [BLEEP] if I've ever seen it.

I don't care about all of that. I am specifically looking at the hypocrisy here of the NFL. And I am specifically looking at the hypocrisy of the massive amounts of blind little sheep that willfully and ignorantly buy virtually anything their flavor of the month has to say hook, line and sinker. 

It's pathetic. I agree. Being in the NFL is a privilege. But to say it's bull [BLEEP] that the NFL doesn't condone illegal behavior and the cheating of their own game with little to no ramifications or consequences is just ignorant sir. And that they turn a blind eye to one individual who was trying to raise awareness at a time when it honestly needed to be raised.

What kind of [BLEEP] message is the NFL sending with their hypocrisy here? We'll condone black athletes for fitting stereotypical trends off the field and give them multiple chances. Not a problem there. But, a black athlete daring to be a voice for the voiceless at the largest potential stage with the highest impact at a peaceful level until the media keeps poking and prodding at it? No, we can't have that. No way in hell can we condone that.

Those behaviors you describe are handled by the criminal justice system when appropriate and by the League office in every case. As a society we generally don't care about those things as our spending patterns indicate. We do care about Kaepernick's behaviors as those patterns also indicate. If the outcry against Joe Wifebeater was the same as that against CK then the League would react differently because we, the money, would demonstrate our interest about those things with our money. It also matters that CK isn't all that talented; much like Tebow his circus is bigger than his value.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-09-2017, 08:24 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It circles back to the hypocritical nature of the NFL in general though. It's okay to slap your wife around (as long as it's not seen on video) and it's perfectly okay to abuse your son and go to court about it but you'll get a chance or multiple chances again in the NFL.

It's okay to take illegal substances a few times and get fined and suspended for it but you'll still get another chance in the NFL. It's perfectly cool to do cocaine, get a DUI, kill someone with a vehicle, make a fool of yourself off the field and be involved with rape and murder allegations whether guilty or not and still get another chance in the NFL.

It's perfectly cool to be caught up in cheating and spying allegations and bounty allegations and investigations and get a small fine or slap on the wrist about it. And you can carry on with your career in due time.

That's the kind of message the NFL owners are sending to America. And it's easy to see why black people are getting hot and bothered by it. Any decent human being can see the hypocrisy of that. And it should be called out again and again.

Colin has never had any off the field issues that I am aware of. At least not made publicly. He's been on winning teams. He's been to a Superbowl. He's had some pretty good performances to get there. A few in particular that you rarely see. Such as a win in the snow in New England. When he had to actually step up and out perform Brady after he dismantled their "vaunted" defense that particular year. Something that had not happened in ten years.

You can't tell me that our team, along with teams like Cleveland, the New York Jets, Buffalo, Chicago, Los Angeles Rams, the tinhorns out in Houston and roughly more than 50% of the NFL can't use a QB of his caliber at the minimum as a back-up or a potential starter in the event something happens to their rookies, overpriced QB pick-ups from free agency or turnover machines they currently have installed as their "starter".

I am not going to say I know more than some of these multi billionaire owners of the NFL. But I do know your win and loss record dictates how successful you are. And I also know you can point at a good amount of these teams with really bad win and loss records over the past decade that can be singled back to the QB being pretty much garbage. Like ours.

So. I'll admit it. I am hypocrite myself. I'll still watch the NFL because I love football. I always have. Always will. But, to say Colin doesn't have a place in it as far as experience, ability and potential is an ignorant statement to make. And no matter how people want to dissect it or slice it up. Often times your political views and stances betray your words.

I'll call anybody out on that too. I don't give a [BLEEP] if you're a blowhard liberal, conservative, democrat or republican. You have to call it as you see it. Without hiding behind the flag, bible or children. Or behind what your great, great grandpappy or daddy did way back when.

Take a stand. Own up to your hypocrisies. Because that's all this is at the end of the day. You can do things illegally and still have a job. But if you exercise a legal right that was set up by our founding fathers who also fought tyranny and oppression for a hope of a new world. Or if you try to start a conversation that's been an issue in a country for just north of 50 years when things started turning a new corner for hopefully the better. Back to the bread line for you.

That's what the NFL is showing here. That's not an opinion at this point. That's looking more and more like the truth of it by the day.
Being judged by the court of public opinion is often worse for these folks than anything an actual court could do to them- if they even make it to court- and if the crime is 'bad enough.' 

As for the hypocrisy issue, in life we are hypocrites and don't even know it, or we don't care as long as it's not That Company. We swear we won't buy from XYZ because they're too conservative/liberal, we won't give our money to JKL because they do/don't cater to the LGBTQ folks, etc. I have a ultra conservative friend who has refused to give money to Starbucks because of their views. Yet she will give her money to another coffee giant whose views are the same, just not advertised as much as Starbucks, but she knows. 

I know I have reacted strongly to things in the past, a knee jerk reaction. After having time to calm down and really think about it, I realize my initial reaction was out of pride instead of reason. Most of the time we react based on emotion, pride being the main one, simply because someone went against how we believe something to be. We don't think about anything other than our views. We don't try to see things from another perspective. I try to tell my very conservative friends that being open minded about a thing doesn't mean you agree with it, it means you're willing to listen and try and understand a different point of view even if you end up agreeing to disagree. 

I don't agree with anyone disrespecting the flag in any way or for any reason. I do respect their right to do so. For me the flag is a visual reminder of the sacrifices made by men and women in uniform. To me, for someone to disrespect the flag is to say those sacrifices don't matter. That pisses me off. Straight up. However, the flag means different things to different people and that's what I try to remember when I see it not given the respect I feel it deserves.

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 02:13 PM by Caldrac.)

(08-09-2017, 01:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 08:46 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It's not bull [BLEEP]. It's the truth. Again, how am I wrong? It's cool to punch women? It's cool to slap them around? It's cool to abuse children? It's cool to cheat the game and system for a competitive advantage? It's cool to pay players under the table to deliberately go out of their ways to put players out? And still get to keep their jobs? it's alright to smoke weed, snort cocaine, drink lean or take steroids? Come on. That in essence on it's own is utter bull [BLEEP] if I've ever seen it.

I don't care about all of that. I am specifically looking at the hypocrisy here of the NFL. And I am specifically looking at the hypocrisy of the massive amounts of blind little sheep that willfully and ignorantly buy virtually anything their flavor of the month has to say hook, line and sinker. 

It's pathetic. I agree. Being in the NFL is a privilege. But to say it's bull [BLEEP] that the NFL doesn't condone illegal behavior and the cheating of their own game with little to no ramifications or consequences is just ignorant sir. And that they turn a blind eye to one individual who was trying to raise awareness at a time when it honestly needed to be raised.

What kind of [BLEEP] message is the NFL sending with their hypocrisy here? We'll condone black athletes for fitting stereotypical trends off the field and give them multiple chances. Not a problem there. But, a black athlete daring to be a voice for the voiceless at the largest potential stage with the highest impact at a peaceful level until the media keeps poking and prodding at it? No, we can't have that. No way in hell can we condone that.

Those behaviors you describe are handled by the criminal justice system when appropriate and by the League office in every case. As a society we generally don't care about those things as our spending patterns indicate. We do care about Kaepernick's behaviors as those patterns also indicate. If the outcry against Joe Wifebeater was the same as that against CK then the League would react differently because we, the money, would demonstrate our interest about those things with our money. It also matters that CK isn't all that talented; much like Tebow his circus is bigger than his value.

I understand where you're coming from. I honestly do. The criminal justice system has it's own role to play. I am still not aiming at that here though. I can't help but once again, circle back to the NFL owners and the hypocrisy it clearly gives off to society. 

Society does care about those things. Michael Vick and Ray Rice rightfully had their [BLEEP] handed to them by society and the criminal justice system. Vick ended up being given another chance. Rice didn't. And that's because his Mike Tyson K.O was caught on camera. And that's the only reason he didn't get another chance. 

Even though that happens yearly in the NFL on various teams from multiple players. It's just kept quiet internally and condoned in silence when these low lives still manage to keep their jobs after getting a little love tap on the wrist for two, three or four weeks and a little tiny fine that barely puts a dent in their salary. 

As far as "talent". That's up to the eyes of the beholders. Some people on this forum actually think Blake Bortles is a solid QB. Some people think Tom Brady isn't the greatest QB to ever play the game. It'll always vary and differ based on how you measure an athlete's worth. 

So I won't keep going down that path. My biggest problem is the hypocrisy of it all. As an organization. How can you look at yourselves in the mirror knowing you'll let real life, off the field offenses go by you with little to no real, true, impactful punishment? And then completely black sheep another player for trying to start a fair and honest conversation that a lot of us don't want to have at the end of the day. 

And why aren't we grilling the NFL for docking our military with price tags to wear their colors and put garbage on them? And why haven't we grilled the NFL for deciding until 2007 or 2009 to salute and pay tribute to our military? There's just so many landmines of hypocrisy here and they all deserve to be called out on it. 

As I've said previously. Do I think Colin is the greatest QB out there? No. Is he potentially a better option over a good portion of the NFL's current QB situations? Absolutely. Do I agree with everything Colin stood for or stands for? No. Not all cops are bad. Hell, I've seen just as many reasons on film as to why some cops do have an itchy trigger finger. Again, goes both ways. It's a two way street. The Castro shirt he was wearing and the reasoning behind that was also foolish. Didn't agree with that either. 

But, somehow as a society. We've reached a point where somehow, some way, an athlete taking a knee for his own personal beliefs in peace is now more unforgivable and less offensive than the scumbags that are currently on rosters that have had one, two, or sometimes three cases of offenses that would have cost the average Joe his job without hesitating. 

I just can't shake that as a human being. It's hard to fathom. But, then again, it's about money, and it's about greed. So I get it from that perspective. It's disgusting. But I get it. 

As far as him messing up the integrity on the field? I don't get that either. You want to talk about integrity on the field being soiled? Look no further than New England on more than one occasion. Look no further than New Orleans with the head hunting and bounty games they had during their best season in franchise history. I am sure I can find more examples of this if I really wanted to and tried. 

It's just a shame.

(08-09-2017, 01:47 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 08:24 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It circles back to the hypocritical nature of the NFL in general though. It's okay to slap your wife around (as long as it's not seen on video) and it's perfectly okay to abuse your son and go to court about it but you'll get a chance or multiple chances again in the NFL.

It's okay to take illegal substances a few times and get fined and suspended for it but you'll still get another chance in the NFL. It's perfectly cool to do cocaine, get a DUI, kill someone with a vehicle, make a fool of yourself off the field and be involved with rape and murder allegations whether guilty or not and still get another chance in the NFL.

It's perfectly cool to be caught up in cheating and spying allegations and bounty allegations and investigations and get a small fine or slap on the wrist about it. And you can carry on with your career in due time.

That's the kind of message the NFL owners are sending to America. And it's easy to see why black people are getting hot and bothered by it. Any decent human being can see the hypocrisy of that. And it should be called out again and again.

Colin has never had any off the field issues that I am aware of. At least not made publicly. He's been on winning teams. He's been to a Superbowl. He's had some pretty good performances to get there. A few in particular that you rarely see. Such as a win in the snow in New England. When he had to actually step up and out perform Brady after he dismantled their "vaunted" defense that particular year. Something that had not happened in ten years.

You can't tell me that our team, along with teams like Cleveland, the New York Jets, Buffalo, Chicago, Los Angeles Rams, the tinhorns out in Houston and roughly more than 50% of the NFL can't use a QB of his caliber at the minimum as a back-up or a potential starter in the event something happens to their rookies, overpriced QB pick-ups from free agency or turnover machines they currently have installed as their "starter".

I am not going to say I know more than some of these multi billionaire owners of the NFL. But I do know your win and loss record dictates how successful you are. And I also know you can point at a good amount of these teams with really bad win and loss records over the past decade that can be singled back to the QB being pretty much garbage. Like ours.

So. I'll admit it. I am hypocrite myself. I'll still watch the NFL because I love football. I always have. Always will. But, to say Colin doesn't have a place in it as far as experience, ability and potential is an ignorant statement to make. And no matter how people want to dissect it or slice it up. Often times your political views and stances betray your words.

I'll call anybody out on that too. I don't give a [BLEEP] if you're a blowhard liberal, conservative, democrat or republican. You have to call it as you see it. Without hiding behind the flag, bible or children. Or behind what your great, great grandpappy or daddy did way back when.

Take a stand. Own up to your hypocrisies. Because that's all this is at the end of the day. You can do things illegally and still have a job. But if you exercise a legal right that was set up by our founding fathers who also fought tyranny and oppression for a hope of a new world. Or if you try to start a conversation that's been an issue in a country for just north of 50 years when things started turning a new corner for hopefully the better. Back to the bread line for you.

That's what the NFL is showing here. That's not an opinion at this point. That's looking more and more like the truth of it by the day.
Being judged by the court of public opinion is often worse for these folks than anything an actual court could do to them- if they even make it to court- and if the crime is 'bad enough.' 

As for the hypocrisy issue, in life we are hypocrites and don't even know it, or we don't care as long as it's not That Company. We swear we won't buy from XYZ because they're too conservative/liberal, we won't give our money to JKL because they do/don't cater to the LGBTQ folks, etc. I have a ultra conservative friend who has refused to give money to Starbucks because of their views. Yet she will give her money to another coffee giant whose views are the same, just not advertised as much as Starbucks, but she knows. 

I know I have reacted strongly to things in the past, a knee jerk reaction. After having time to calm down and really think about it, I realize my initial reaction was out of pride instead of reason. Most of the time we react based on emotion, pride being the main one, simply because someone went against how we believe something to be. We don't think about anything other than our views. We don't try to see things from another perspective. I try to tell my very conservative friends that being open minded about a thing doesn't mean you agree with it, it means you're willing to listen and try and understand a different point of view even if you end up agreeing to disagree. 

I don't agree with anyone disrespecting the flag in any way or for any reason. I do respect their right to do so. For me the flag is a visual reminder of the sacrifices made by men and women in uniform. To me, for someone to disrespect the flag is to say those sacrifices don't matter. That pisses me off. Straight up. However, the flag means different things to different people and that's what I try to remember when I see it not given the respect I feel it deserves.

I have similar views. I have ultra conservative friends. I have ultra liberal friends. I have friends from the LGBT community and I have friends that will take you out to the gun range and proudly rub their right to bare arms and their NRA card in your face. Totally, totally cool with all of that. I get it. 

I used to go bonkers when I saw people stepping on our flag, whipping their [BLEEP] with our flag or burning our flag. Now all I do is just shake my head and pity them. Sure, it's not perfect here. But, having had many friends from all around the world specifically come to our country for the freedoms it affords makes me sad. It makes them sad too. A lot of snowflakes here have no idea how good they've had it for the most part. And it could always be 10x harder or worse in X, Y & Z for the most part. 

I generally stand right in the middle of things though. Dead center. I am conservative when it comes to constitutional rights, family values and freedoms. Especially when it comes to guns and religion. Even though I am not personally nor heavily involved in either of those fields or aspects. But I also believe there's two genders only. And I also believe marijuana should be completely legal everywhere. And I believe the Government shouldn't have the right to tell a woman what she can or can't do with her body. I believe in gay marriage and equality. 

I think our economic and welfare system is a joke. And I think our education system needs an enema. I probably sound like I am all over the place. I believe in the separation of church and state and feel they aught to pay their fair share of taxes like everyone else if they want a proper seat at the table. But that's just how I view things. I am ultimately a cynical pessimist I suppose. For me it boils down to context and the nature in which it was conducted. And that's why it's hard for me to stay quiet about this issue. Because I think in fairness the context was right at the time. And the nature was peaceful.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-09-2017, 01:55 PM)Caldrac Wrote: For me it boils down to context and the nature in which it was conducted. And that's why it's hard for me to stay quiet about this issue. Because I think in fairness the context was right at the time. And the nature was peaceful.

Above and beyond the personal reason I didn't appreciate it, I think it was the wrong time and place to do it. When- in this case- when you're in uniform and literally on the job is not the time to air grievances. He was not representing just himself, he was representing the team. They all do when they put on those uniforms and go out on the field. As a QB he is even more responsible which makes it even worse because it makes it look like he's representing the whole team if you look at it that way (even though logically we know better but you get what I'm saying.)

We live in a day and age where something like this is able to reach people around the world in seconds, 24/7. It doesn't have to wait to be on national television and televised around the world for people to see it. He could have done something on his own time and tweeted it or put it on instagram and made a statement without pissing off a lot of folks and losing his message in the flag debate or whether or not he should have done it 'on the clock,' etc.

(08-09-2017, 02:44 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 01:55 PM)Caldrac Wrote: For me it boils down to context and the nature in which it was conducted. And that's why it's hard for me to stay quiet about this issue. Because I think in fairness the context was right at the time. And the nature was peaceful.

Above and beyond the personal reason I didn't appreciate it, I think it was the wrong time and place to do it. When- in this case- when you're in uniform and literally on the job is not the time to air grievances. He was not representing just himself, he was representing the team. They all do when they put on those uniforms and go out on the field. As a QB he is even more responsible which makes it even worse because it makes it look like he's representing the whole team if you look at it that way (even though logically we know better but you get what I'm saying.)

We live in a day and age where something like this is able to reach people around the world in seconds, 24/7. It doesn't have to wait to be on national television and televised around the world for people to see it. He could have done something on his own time and tweeted it or put it on instagram and made a statement without pissing off a lot of folks and losing his message in the flag debate or whether or not he should have done it 'on the clock,' etc.
I honestly think it was the only way for his point to truly get across and make an impact. And he did it peacefully and quietly and didn't say a single thing about it until the media painted him into a corner. But that comes with the territory.

He started a conversation on a deeper, more widespread level than he would have via Twitter or any other social platform. That's just my opinion on it.

But I think between the craziness with the BLM movement. The riots in the streets. The protests in the streets. And the fact that whether we like it or not. And whether some of the shootings were justified or not. Because I was 50/50 on a few of those mainstream shootings.

He did what was best for his own beliefs. And he sparked a movement across the NFL. Sometimes you have to start something yourself and see where it leads. Personally like most movements it rarely ends positive or changes anything.

In due time it'll happen again. Not sure what the context will be on that next wave just hope it's peaceful.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The sad part about this is that sane and rational people don't disagree what he's standing up for. In fact, there are protests and demonstrations with all races joining and speaking about what he is.

It's the way he has done it and the way he has continued to do it that has brought the negative attention. He made a point kneeling and continued to do it knowing many people were offended. He then wore socks with pigs on them to practice. He wore a t shirt with Fidel Castro on it and then somehow justified it by saying they have a good literacy rate and that the US spends more on prisons than education (LOL!). His girlfriend recently posted a picture of Samuel L Jackson and Leonardo Dicaprio from Django in comparison to Ray Lewis and the Ravens owner.

At what point do you stop, look at what you're doing and say, "man I may have brought some of this on myself?"

He already publicly came out and said he would no longer kneel this season. So he's starting to turn the corner and see that. He's done enough already.

(08-09-2017, 07:03 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 02:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just a guy drawing needed attention to a social injustice? 

A dummy lacking a respect for our flag/anthem? 

A has-been? 

A better QB than Henne, or Bortles? 

All of the above? 

Discuss here rather than filling the football threads with politics, please.

I think his mind and beliefs are in the right place but he's gone about it the wrong way to an extent. The media loves anything that bleeds and when it bleeds it bleeds. They're just as guilty for feeding into this divide and conquer mentality we've all been victims of. 

I don't get caught up in yellow ribbons and flags though. I think you can be proud of your country and not be a hypocritical [BLEEP] about it. Trying not to steal too much thoughts on that from George Carlin. But that pretty much sums it up. I leave symbols for the symbol minded. 

As far as being a has been? Maybe. To an extent. He had a winning record and nearly a Superbowl come back and victory with Harbaugh before York decided to railroad his entire team into the ground by firing him and then hiring and firing back-to-back coaches that clearly didn't know what they were doing. 

As far as being a better QB than Henne and Bortles? Yes. I'll say he is. His numbers aren't that much better nor worse than either of those two. And he's actually won football games. Personally if this team can manage another top ten defense and hopefully a top ten or better rushing attack you would assume Bortles could manage the team at least and win games. If he can't. Colin probably could. Seeing is that is when he had success in the NFL. 

As far as my views regarding his views? I don't have a problem with his kneeling. Didn't hurt my feelings. In fact. I think a lot of fans are hypocrites. Including the NFL itself. Half the fans crying about him kneeling during the anthem probably have their big fat [BLEEP] plopped down in a recliner on Sunday's as it's being performed while [BLEEP] and moaning about Colin not standing. So there's that. 

There's also the fact that the NFL didn't care for the anthem being recognized or honored until roughly 2007 or 2009 when it became something more they could further profit from. Keep that in mind. The NFL doesn't even honor our military for free. They make money off of them. They put their colors and emblems on their jerseys and sell them for more profit. It's the same ploy they use in October when they pink it all up for women. Profit. 

As far as black injustice and cops getting away with things? Sure. It happens. Sometimes it happens in clear cut understandable situations and sometimes it happens in inexcusable situations and people should be held accountable. It also just doesn't happen to black america though. It happens to white america as well. Even if you took all the minorities out of prison today it would still be overpopulated with white people. The mainstream media won't tell you that though because it would make us seem more alike. And they can't have that. They need us hating one another. They've been good at it since the television was invented. 

So in truth. No one is truly absent nor absolved from injustice. Sadly, what happens is a lot of departments get into the habit of fishing in the same areas. It's mostly your run down, low income, rural trailer parks or hoods that get targeted because that's where all the illegal activity is taking place. Whether you believe it's a systematic problem that keeps people poor or a racist system tied into it is up to you. 

It's a two way street at the end of the day though. We can all do a better job at being open and honest about this. And we can all do a better of job trying to understand each other's views without getting butt hurt on both sides. Liberal and Conservative snowflakes alike. 

The only two items I didn't approve of with Colin last year were the socks with cops depicted as pigs and the Castro thing. You can't get anything accomplished by fighting fire with fire in today's world. It just leads to everybody losing on both sides. And you certainly can't get up on a soap box and preach of oppression while wearing a t-shirt of one of the most iconic oppressors since the 20th century. Especially when an overwhelming amount of Cubans will tell you how terrible it was under Castro.

I usually mostly agree with what you have to say, but I must comment on the two paragraphs that I highlighted in red in your quote.

The first part of your quote.
I personally did have a problem with not only him kneeling, but also sitting during our national anthem.  I personally served a bit over 9 years of my life defending his right to do so.  I think that his reason(s) for doing so are misguided and wrong.  However, like many of the thousands (or millions) that actually protected his right to be a pompous [BLEEP], I would never take that right away from him.  Call me a hypocrite if you want, but that Flag and that Anthem means something to me.  This might sound kind of "goofy" to some people, but if I'm watching an NFL game, a NASCAR race, etc. in my home, we do go silent and stand during the Anthem.

The second paragraph from your quote.
I can (somewhat) agree with you on this.  Now the Anthem has always been played along with a flyover at just about every NFL game and NASCAR race that I've ever attended.  I honestly couldn't say for sure when they started televising it at NFL games, but IIRC it's always been done at NASCAR races.  Quite frankly I've never really paid that much attention.

However, Kapernick's "protest" was pretty deliberate to get the cameras on him, and it was specifically to show his dis-respect for our country, our Flag and what it stands for.  Did he want to bring awareness to some problem in society?  Perhaps.  Did he ever think about the men and women that serve now or served in the past, sometimes paying the ultimate price to enable him to do so?  NOPE.  In the end it was all about "him" and his "cause".

I do recall a story from last season where the NFL was profiting in some way for their "military appreciation" or something like that.  I don't remember what the whole story was about, but it clearly was for profit rather than for patriotism.  That's the part that I agree with you about.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-09-2017, 04:15 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 07:03 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I think his mind and beliefs are in the right place but he's gone about it the wrong way to an extent. The media loves anything that bleeds and when it bleeds it bleeds. They're just as guilty for feeding into this divide and conquer mentality we've all been victims of. 

I don't get caught up in yellow ribbons and flags though. I think you can be proud of your country and not be a hypocritical [BLEEP] about it. Trying not to steal too much thoughts on that from George Carlin. But that pretty much sums it up. I leave symbols for the symbol minded. 

As far as being a has been? Maybe. To an extent. He had a winning record and nearly a Superbowl come back and victory with Harbaugh before York decided to railroad his entire team into the ground by firing him and then hiring and firing back-to-back coaches that clearly didn't know what they were doing. 

As far as being a better QB than Henne and Bortles? Yes. I'll say he is. His numbers aren't that much better nor worse than either of those two. And he's actually won football games. Personally if this team can manage another top ten defense and hopefully a top ten or better rushing attack you would assume Bortles could manage the team at least and win games. If he can't. Colin probably could. Seeing is that is when he had success in the NFL. 

As far as my views regarding his views? I don't have a problem with his kneeling. Didn't hurt my feelings. In fact. I think a lot of fans are hypocrites. Including the NFL itself. Half the fans crying about him kneeling during the anthem probably have their big fat [BLEEP] plopped down in a recliner on Sunday's as it's being performed while [BLEEP] and moaning about Colin not standing. So there's that. 

There's also the fact that the NFL didn't care for the anthem being recognized or honored until roughly 2007 or 2009 when it became something more they could further profit from. Keep that in mind. The NFL doesn't even honor our military for free. They make money off of them. They put their colors and emblems on their jerseys and sell them for more profit. It's the same ploy they use in October when they pink it all up for women. Profit. 

As far as black injustice and cops getting away with things? Sure. It happens. Sometimes it happens in clear cut understandable situations and sometimes it happens in inexcusable situations and people should be held accountable. It also just doesn't happen to black america though. It happens to white america as well. Even if you took all the minorities out of prison today it would still be overpopulated with white people. The mainstream media won't tell you that though because it would make us seem more alike. And they can't have that. They need us hating one another. They've been good at it since the television was invented. 

So in truth. No one is truly absent nor absolved from injustice. Sadly, what happens is a lot of departments get into the habit of fishing in the same areas. It's mostly your run down, low income, rural trailer parks or hoods that get targeted because that's where all the illegal activity is taking place. Whether you believe it's a systematic problem that keeps people poor or a racist system tied into it is up to you. 

It's a two way street at the end of the day though. We can all do a better job at being open and honest about this. And we can all do a better of job trying to understand each other's views without getting butt hurt on both sides. Liberal and Conservative snowflakes alike. 

The only two items I didn't approve of with Colin last year were the socks with cops depicted as pigs and the Castro thing. You can't get anything accomplished by fighting fire with fire in today's world. It just leads to everybody losing on both sides. And you certainly can't get up on a soap box and preach of oppression while wearing a t-shirt of one of the most iconic oppressors since the 20th century. Especially when an overwhelming amount of Cubans will tell you how terrible it was under Castro.

I usually mostly agree with what you have to say, but I must comment on the two paragraphs that I highlighted in red in your quote.

The first part of your quote.
I personally did have a problem with not only him kneeling, but also sitting during our national anthem.  I personally served a bit over 9 years of my life defending his right to do so.  I think that his reason(s) for doing so are misguided and wrong.  However, like many of the thousands (or millions) that actually protected his right to be a pompous [BLEEP], I would never take that right away from him.  Call me a hypocrite if you want, but that Flag and that Anthem means something to me.  This might sound kind of "goofy" to some people, but if I'm watching an NFL game, a NASCAR race, etc. in my home, we do go silent and stand during the Anthem.

The second paragraph from your quote.
I can (somewhat) agree with you on this.  Now the Anthem has always been played along with a flyover at just about every NFL game and NASCAR race that I've ever attended.  I honestly couldn't say for sure when they started televising it at NFL games, but IIRC it's always been done at NASCAR races.  Quite frankly I've never really paid that much attention.

However, Kapernick's "protest" was pretty deliberate to get the cameras on him, and it was specifically to show his dis-respect for our country, our Flag and what it stands for.  Did he want to bring awareness to some problem in society?  Perhaps.  Did he ever think about the men and women that serve now or served in the past, sometimes paying the ultimate price to enable him to do so?  NOPE.  In the end it was all about "him" and his "cause".

I do recall a story from last season where the NFL was profiting in some way for their "military appreciation" or something like that.  I don't remember what the whole story was about, but it clearly was for profit rather than for patriotism.  That's the part that I agree with you about.
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback and insight. It's a mixed bag for a lot of people. Including myself. I try to see it from both sides and try to be fair and understanding of the bigger picture. Tough to balance.

You've always been fair and balanced on here. I wouldn't expect anything less from you response wise. Thank you for your service man. Hopefully in about a month we can talk more about some damn wins and football instead of politics.

If memory serves me correctly he did not become socially conscious until after he was benched in favor of Gabbert. As I recall he sat on the bench during the Anthem with a pouty face looking at his feet. No mention of his cause to raise awareness prior to that. Again I remember no mention of it the week after that either. It wasn't until the following Sunday when he then knelt during the Anthem that he came out with "I'm kneeling to raise awareness about social injustice campaign". I didn't buy his weak response then and I don't buy it now. The only social injustice he was concerned about when this whole thing got started was he was benched in favor of a mediocre white guy.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 10:35 PM by Vino.)

(08-03-2017, 02:29 PM)The Drifter Wrote: The Baltimore Ravens fans shot down his bid to be with the team, He's un-patriotic, Un-American, and an [BLEEP]

(08-03-2017, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 02:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just a guy drawing needed attention to a social injustice? 

A dummy lacking a respect for our flag/anthem? 

A has-been? 

A better QB than Henne, or Bortles? 

All of the above? 

Discuss here rather than filling the football threads with politics, please.

Quick answers to your questions.

1.  Yes

2.  Yes

3.  Yes

4.  No

Kaepernick is a talented and good athlete.  I'll give him that.  However, he is not a good NFL QB and chose to "protest" in the worst possible way.  I don't fault him for choosing to exorcise his right to do what he did, but he should have thought about the many consequences that come with it.

Just because in his mind he thinks that black people are "oppressed" or whatever doesn't mean that you dis-respect our flag and what it stands for.  When he did that openly, publicly and on national television he should have known that there would be apparent backlash for that.

If people think that they have it so bad today (including an NFL football player), they might want to do a bit of research and see what so many before us sacrificed in order for us to be a free nation.  They might want to research what The Flag, The National Anthem and The Pledge of Allegiance really is all about.

Explain to the mothers, fathers, husbands, wives or children of people that fought and died for what we have today exactly why someone like Kaepernick is protesting.

Come to think of it now, what exactly was he "protesting"?
I wanted to point out these two posts because they show a clear dismissal and disregard of black issues in America. "oppressed or whatever". lol ok dude. I'm not sure if one single black person has posted in this thread so far (other than me now), doesn't seem like it. Regardless, if you can't see the conflict black people in this country could have with reciting our anthem and praising our flag then you are just as ignorant as some of you are trying to paint Kaepernick as on social issues. Since you mentioned it, what exactly does our flag stand for? For white people whose families immigrated from Europe and fought to secede from the oppression (or whatever) of the British Empire and its king, sure it stands for freedom and justice. But for minorities, specifically blacks and Native Americans, it is a direct refusal to acknowledge and dismissal of past events to expect us to look at it that way. I have struggled all my life and even now with being black and still being expected to have true love and respect for a flag (by certain white people) that for all intents and purposes 1) my ancestors never chose to have to be in a situation to be under, 2) represents a country that directly enslaved and then oppressed and then locked us up on a massive level, and then 3) many people force emphatically in your face to love it or get out because all they give a crap about is their perspective. Even if we did want to get out, not many of us can afford to do so in the first place because of years of, again, oppression and not having any type of wealth or land to build off of to begin with. 

There is a fundamental difference between blacks and whites when it comes to praising our flag and upholding the anthem that a lot of white people either don't understand or don't want to understand, or just don't respect enough to give a damn if they do in the first place, for whatever reason. Ancestors of whites CHOSE to be in this country, by and large. My ancestors did not, and were treated like pieces of property, and later generations were treated like second class citizens. And with my great grandmother being a Native American, the other part of my ancestry had its land taken away from it by people bearing this flag. Where is the freedom and justice in that? Our flag is not perfect and nor has this country represented freedom and justice for its entire history, and still doesn't to this day. Live in your fairy tale lands if you want to. The lives black people have had to live over the course of this country's history does not lead to our young ones  growing up "patriotic" and "American" in the sense some of you use here. Don't blame us, blame the circumstances that brought us here. I wouldn't go so far to say we have no reason to feel patriotic or American but I feel pretty close to that. This country historically hasn't loved us and it still doesn't. But instead of having a constructive dialogue to fix that, a lot of white people say "f'em". K. So you're going to have people like Kaepernick who show the level of respect he feels he gets from white America.

I'm not arguing whether or not Kaepernick took his stance in a dumb way, perhaps he did, I wasn't in the same situation to judge. Taking a stance that would piss off half the people you were trying to talk to isn't constructive, but maybe he perceived that as the only way to get some people to even pay attention to the issue and maybe he's right. All that is hearsay. My issue is with the flagrant "[BLEEP]" attitude a lot of you seem to have when it comes to black issues in general, as if there is no merit to them. Specifically jagibelieve.  

As for the pig socks, that's how a lot of black people feel about dirty cops who abuse their power instead of protect people, as well as whites. The police in this country are supposed to be peacekeepers and protect the people in their communities, not be some sort of pseudo-para military that is able to act as judge, jury, and executioners and get away with it. Imo police shouldn't even have guns in the first place. Again, I'm not defending the concept of wearing the socks themselves, but I don't agree with how people in this country ignore the fact that police brutality happens, and it happens a lot in poor neighborhoods and ghettos, which happens to be where the majority of blacks in this country live. For example, when all that crap was going down last year, at the RNC, Trump and other Republicans chose to ram the hammer for "protecting our cops" and made absolutely no mention whatsoever of why there was violence against cops in the first place, like it didn't matter. 

I don't like SJWs, overly PC people, and all that either, but flat out ignoring the issues that 40 million people in this country have to deal with is not a good way of going about things either.
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2017, 07:35 AM by The Real Marty.)

(08-09-2017, 10:29 PM)Vino Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 02:29 PM)The Drifter Wrote: The Baltimore Ravens fans shot down his bid to be with the team, He's un-patriotic, Un-American, and an [BLEEP]

(08-03-2017, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Quick answers to your questions.

1.  Yes

2.  Yes

3.  Yes

4.  No

Kaepernick is a talented and good athlete.  I'll give him that.  However, he is not a good NFL QB and chose to "protest" in the worst possible way.  I don't fault him for choosing to exorcise his right to do what he did, but he should have thought about the many consequences that come with it.

Just because in his mind he thinks that black people are "oppressed" or whatever doesn't mean that you dis-respect our flag and what it stands for.  When he did that openly, publicly and on national television he should have known that there would be apparent backlash for that.

If people think that they have it so bad today (including an NFL football player), they might want to do a bit of research and see what so many before us sacrificed in order for us to be a free nation.  They might want to research what The Flag, The National Anthem and The Pledge of Allegiance really is all about.

Explain to the mothers, fathers, husbands, wives or children of people that fought and died for what we have today exactly why someone like Kaepernick is protesting.

I wanted to point out these two posts because they show a clear dismissal and disregard of black issues in America. "oppressed or whatever". lol ok dude. I'm not sure if one single black person has posted in this thread so far (other than me now), doesn't seem like it. Regardless, if you can't see the conflict black people in this country could have with reciting our anthem and praising our flag then you are just as ignorant as some of you are trying to paint Kaepernick as on social issues. Since you mentioned it, what exactly does our flag stand for? For white people whose families immigrated from Europe and fought to secede from the oppression (or whatever) of the British Empire and its king, sure it stands for freedom and justice. But for minorities, specifically blacks and Native Americans, it is a direct refusal to acknowledge and dismissal of past events to expect us to look at it that way. I have struggled all my life and even now with being black and still being expected to have true love and respect for a flag (by certain white people) that for all intents and purposes 1) my ancestors never chose to have to be in a situation to be under, 2) represents a country that directly enslaved and then oppressed and then locked us up on a massive level, and then 3) many people force emphatically in your face to love it or get out because all they give a crap about is their perspective. Even if we did want to get out, not many of us can afford to do so in the first place because of years of, again, oppression and not having any type of wealth or land to build off of to begin with. 

There is a fundamental difference between blacks and whites when it comes to praising our flag and upholding the anthem that a lot of white people either don't understand or don't want to understand, or just don't respect enough to give a damn if they do in the first place, for whatever reason. Ancestors of whites CHOSE to be in this country, by and large. My ancestors did not, and were treated like pieces of property, and later generations were treated like second class citizens. And with my great grandmother being a Native American, the other part of my ancestry had its land taken away from it by people bearing this flag. Where is the freedom and justice in that? Our flag is not perfect and nor has this country represented freedom and justice for its entire history, and still doesn't to this day. Live in your fairy tale lands if you want to. The lives black people have had to live over the course of this country's history does not lead to our young ones  growing up "patriotic" and "American" in the sense some of you use here. Don't blame us, blame the circumstances that brought us here. I wouldn't go so far to say we have no reason to feel patriotic or American but I feel pretty close to that. This country historically hasn't loved us and it still doesn't. But instead of having a constructive dialogue to fix that, a lot of white people say "f'em". K. So you're going to have people like Kaepernick who show the level of respect he feels he gets from white America.

I'm not arguing whether or not Kaepernick took his stance in a dumb way, perhaps he did, I wasn't in the same situation to judge. Taking a stance that would piss off half the people you were trying to talk to isn't constructive, but maybe he perceived that as the only way to get some people to even pay attention to the issue and maybe he's right. All that is hearsay. My issue is with the flagrant "[BLEEP]" attitude a lot of you seem to have when it comes to black issues in general, as if there is no merit to them. Specifically jagibelieve.  

As for the pig socks, that's how a lot of black people feel about dirty cops who abuse their power instead of protect people, as well as whites. The police in this country are supposed to be peacekeepers and protect the people in their communities, not be some sort of pseudo-para military that is able to act as judge, jury, and executioners and get away with it. Imo police shouldn't even have guns in the first place. Again, I'm not defending the concept of wearing the socks themselves, but I don't agree with how people in this country ignore the fact that police brutality happens, and it happens a lot in poor neighborhoods and ghettos, which happens to be where the majority of blacks in this country live. For example, when all that crap was going down last year, at the RNC, Trump and other Republicans chose to ram the hammer for "protecting our cops" and made absolutely no mention whatsoever of why there was violence against cops in the first place, like it didn't matter. 

I don't like SJWs, overly PC people, and all that either, but flat out ignoring the issues that 40 million people in this country have to deal with is not a good way of going about things either.

Well.  At last, something new and interesting. 

My immediate reaction is, if you're going to hold onto the past like that, we will never get along with each other in this country, because the past cannot be changed.   We can all acknowledge it, but don't we need to let go of it eventually in order to move forward?

Also, I would ask, has there ever been any study of how many times a day white police have an interaction with a black citizen, and how many of these incidents lead to shootings. Also, how many times white police have an interaction with white people, and how many times that leads to a shooting.

Kaep has Spike Lee going to bat for him now. I am POSITIVE that is going to lead to good things.

The reality of the situation is, no owner wants to deal with the drama over a backup QB. If QB's start dropping like flies, he will get picked up, but until then, he needs to continue to "Do the right thing".

(08-09-2017, 10:29 PM)Vino Wrote:

(08-03-2017, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Quick answers to your questions.

1.  Yes

2.  Yes

3.  Yes

4.  No

Oh boo... hoo...  spare me your [BLEEP] story about history.

Seriously.  You know nothing about me or my ancestors who happen to be non-white and lived in this country long before the Revolutionary War.  You know nothing about how my ancestor's villages and ranches were plundered during the Civil War and afterwards and how women were routinely raped.  You know nothing about how my mother got slapped by school teachers/administrators because she dared speak in her native tongue.  I could go on and on, but it doesn't really matter because it has nothing to do with so-called "black issues".

The only "black issues" that some, not all black people have today is that they are failures regarding family and society.  Does racism exist in today's society?  No question about it, yes it does.  However, why not use that as a strength rather than a crutch?  There are many examples of black people becoming successful even when society was worse regarding race issues (1950 - 1970 time frame).  Ben Carson and Condoleeza Rice immediately come to mind, especially Dr. Carson.  Another that comes to mind is Herman Cain.  However, because they happen to be conservative regarding their politics they are often labeled as "Uncle Tom".

This country is great and always has been.  Has it always been perfect?  Absolutely not.  To dwell on the mistakes made in the history of our country in 2017 and use it as an excuse is nothing more than a cop-out.  EVERYONE that is a United States citizen has the same opportunity no matter their race, skin color, sex, etc.

One of the big problems in today's society is political correctness and people afraid to actually speak their minds.  I'm not afraid to do so.  I think that a lot of the "black issues" in today's society are self-inflicted.  What ever happened to personal responsibility and hard work?  What ever happened to the traditional family?  Why are there so many single parent homes today, both black and white?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Um, my maternal ancestors are Irish. You want to talk about slavery, look up and read how the Irish slaves brought to this country were treated. Back then it wasn't the color of your skin that got you in a world of trouble, it was your accent and your last name and the clothing you wore. But like someone else pointed out, you live in the past and let it define you then we as a people will never learn from it and move on to being united. I choose not to dwell on things I have no control over. 

Also, many of us who have respect for the flag don't idolize it at all. Nor do we idolize the anthem. And to be glib about why the Europeans (those who actually chose to be here) came here to escape British rule is insulting. Not on a personal level but on a human level. Not a single person on this board chose our skin color, our ethnic background, our socioeconomic status we were born into, etc. 

To point a finger and condemn a whole group of people for the actions of those who were dead long before any of us were born is petty and unnecessary. History has already told us how horrifically the native Americans and black slaves were treated, there is no need to beat a dead horse. Instead of being accusatory be informative. It goes a long way toward understanding.

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2017, 02:56 AM by JackCity.)

(08-07-2017, 03:35 PM)Kane Wrote:
(08-05-2017, 09:28 AM)JackCity Wrote: He wasn't beat out by Gabbert though. Kap had an injury clause in his contract so they kept him out, once that clause was removed he started again.  

He's legitimately better than every other backup in the league and better than several starting QBs.  

I admire his charity work and he seems like a great guy. Do I think he should be blackballed from the league due to the huge circus that's around him now? No. But if he thought his protest would have no impact on his employment then he's pretty naive.

He actually did get benched in favor of Gabbert
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...t-to-start

Prior to protests and the injury you speak of that led to Gabbert starting 2016 before Kaep was ready

And BTWs... He was benched again after mustering 4 yards (Gabbert threw for 18 in his pass attempt) VS the Bears, though they'd ride him out the rest of the season.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18202...cago-bears

HE NOT GOOD lulz

He was never beaten out by Gabbert. He was benched yes but not beaten out, which is what he said. 

You don't actually think Gabbert is better do you?

At this point the media circus surrounding Kap is doing far more harm than good to everyone. That rally for Kap , although noble, actively harms his chance of getting a job again in the NFL.

I support his actions, his charity work and his activism but I also understand why its such a big deal. My big problem with it all is people who try to say that he isn't being blackballed its just that he isn't good enough for the NFL, or that he isn't able to run an NFL offense. He's objectively better than a good few starters and every backup in the league. The reason he isn't playing is because of his stand. At least call a spade a spade. At very least two teams have wanted to sign him but have been blocked by ownership.

(08-11-2017, 02:43 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-07-2017, 03:35 PM)Kane Wrote: He actually did get benched in favor of Gabbert
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...t-to-start

Prior to protests and the injury you speak of that led to Gabbert starting 2016 before Kaep was ready

And BTWs... He was benched again after mustering 4 yards (Gabbert threw for 18 in his pass attempt) VS the Bears, though they'd ride him out the rest of the season.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18202...cago-bears

HE NOT GOOD lulz

He was never beaten out by Gabbert. He was benched yes but not beaten out, which is what he said. 

At this point the media circus surrounding Kap is doing far more harm than good to everyone. That rally for Kap , although noble, actively harms his chance of getting a job again in the NFL.  

I support his actions, his charity work and his activism but I also understand why its such a big deal. My big problem with it all is people who try to say that he isn't being blackballed its just that he isn't good enough for the NFL, or that he isn't able to run an NFL offense. He's objectively better than a good few starters and every backup in the league. The reason he isn't playing is because of his stand. At least call a spade a spade. At very least two teams have wanted to sign him but have been blocked by ownership.

I have long stated he's not good enough to warrant being a starter and he is good enough to be a backup, but no one wants to have a back up with that sort of drama/baggage.

Why does he deserve a starting gig? Someone should just hand this guy one of 32 spots because he used to be good with Jim Harbaugh? As soon as talent around him depleted so did his skills.
He was nothing more than a tool Jim used. Once the shininess of it wore off (like the wildcat) Kaep was done as an NFL starter.

Time tested skillful QBs who have careers longer than 3-4 years and are worthy of starting gigs, can read a defense, and make a play from the pocket.
Not this one read run crap.
I honestly believe Gabbert and Kaep are probably on the same level at this point in their careers... Back ups.

Gabbert just has no drama... so he gets a job.
The NFL also has a couple teams who seemingly have back ups good enough to maybe be starters or will be future starters... (Jimmy G, AJ McCarron, Matt Moore, Mahomes behind Smith, Kizer behind whoever in Cleveland, etc)
There's no room for Kaep, his skill level isn't good enough to raise him above 30+ QBs...
he's done...

Now... eventually, some team is gonna give him one more shot, I believe... an injury or something is going to happen.
And he'll RGme it all over the place.

(08-11-2017, 09:27 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 02:43 AM)JackCity Wrote: He was never beaten out by Gabbert. He was benched yes but not beaten out, which is what he said. 

I have long stated he's not good enough to warrant being a starter and he is good enough to be a backup, but no one wants to have a back up with that sort of drama/baggage.

Why does he deserve a starting gig? Someone should just hand this guy one of 32 spots because he used to be good with Jim Harbaugh? As soon as talent around him depleted so did his skills.
He was nothing more than a tool Jim used. Once the shininess of it wore off (like the wildcat) Kaep was done as an NFL starter.

Time tested skillful QBs who have careers longer than 3-4 years and are worthy of starting gigs, can read a defense, and make a play from the pocket.
Not this one read run crap.
I honestly believe Gabbert and Kaep are probably on the same level at this point in their careers... Back ups.

Gabbert just has no drama... so he gets a job.
The NFL also has a couple teams who seemingly have back ups good enough to maybe be starters or will be future starters... (Jimmy G, AJ McCarron, Matt Moore, Mahomes behind Smith, Kizer behind whoever in Cleveland, etc)
There's no room for Kaep, his skill level isn't good enough to raise him above 30+ QBs...
he's done...

Now... eventually, some team is gonna give him one more shot, I believe... an injury or something is going to happen.
And he'll RGme it all over the place.
He's proven he's good enough to be a starter. 

Well I can see you don't actually know what you're talking about now. First off, yeah Kap is very good at running , that's true. But he's also actually able to go through his reads and progressions if necessary. Not a an elite level but good enough. Chip Kelly's running game is fairly unique but passing wise he runs a straight up west coast scheme. You have to make reads, progressions etc etc in order to run it. Same with Romans offense. 

It's always smart to run RPOs with Kap to make use of his legs and get some easy plays but he's shown he can make reads and progressions in NFL type schemes. Most of all he takes care of the football and turns it over at a very low rate. That's skill that tons of QBs struggle with that Kap is elite at.  He played well this past year despite have zero around him.

So no he can actually play the position of QB and do so in an NFL offense. You can see that if you watched him, which you haven't because you apparently think that he's just a one-read QB..when objectively speaking he has shown he can make more than one read on any given play and do so decently.

His talent does not exceed his baggage. End of story.

The people who've lost their minds with the petitions, comics and rants about NFL players being slaves, and ardent defenders of someone dumb enough to wear a Castro t-shirt for any reason, are making it worse.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato