Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
*** THE OFFICIAL IMPEACHMENT THREAD ***

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2019, 03:35 PM by mikesez.)

(12-18-2019, 02:16 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 01:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: I wouldn't say everyone. I don't think any of the previous 44 presidents are remembered for saying or doing things in public that their peers felt were beneath the dignity of the office.  I think you could say that Obama committed some High Crimes by creating DACA along with a few other things, but he didn't commit misdemeanors.  Obama behaved with the courtesy expected in his time.

It definitely matters.
If the Senate votes to acquit along party lines without calling witnesses, it will be proof that the checks and balances created by the founders do not work and that political parties and elections are the only remaining check on tyranny.  Either the public will accept that, or they will wake up on re-structuring our constitution.

Can you name one from the last 100 years that doesn't fit your criteria?

Obama absolutely committed crimes. I'm not sure why you're saying he didn't unless you're defining it as 'bad appearances in public'.

'Obama behaved with the courtesy expected in his time'? What are you saying? Are we talking about courtesy or misdemeanors.

In 18th century English,
"High crimes" = using power not granted, or abusing power that was granted, or refusing to comply with duly enacted laws. 
"Misdemeanors" = conduct unbecoming, bad appearances.  Drunkenness or brawling in public, cursing.

Obama did a few high crimes because he acted where Congress refused to act, but this was only because Congress didn't want to go on record.  Secretly, a majority in Congress agreed with DACA, which is why articles of impeachment were not written for DACA.

But Obama did no misdemeanors.

(12-18-2019, 02:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 01:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: I wouldn't say everyone. I don't think any of the previous 44 presidents are remembered for saying or doing things in public that their peers felt were beneath the dignity of the office.  I think you could say that Obama committed some High Crimes by creating DACA along with a few other things, but he didn't commit misdemeanors.  Obama behaved with the courtesy expected in his time.

It definitely matters.
If the Senate votes to acquit along party lines without calling witnesses, it will be proof that the checks and balances created by the founders do not work and that political parties and elections are the only remaining check on tyranny.  Either the public will accept that, or they will wake up on re-structuring our constitution.

So, it'll prove the political system in the United States isn't fair? Oh no! Whatever will we do? Guess what? It's been that way for years. It's never gonna change. That's life.

It's not likely that the constitution would be amended again, but it's not impossible either.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Messages In This Thread
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 12-28-2019, 01:59 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-16-2020, 08:21 AM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-21-2020, 04:06 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by mikesez - 01-21-2020, 04:18 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-22-2020, 01:29 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by StroudCrowd1 - 01-22-2020, 01:32 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-23-2020, 01:37 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-23-2020, 01:43 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-23-2020, 02:18 PM
RE: homebiscuit - by flsprtsgod - 01-23-2020, 03:42 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-24-2020, 12:58 PM