Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Aaron Colvin

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018, 10:45 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-footbl/...14431.html

Replacement

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't know. With Blake Bortles' restructuring his contract the likelihood of resigning Robinson and Colvin actually went up. I wouldn't be shocked to see both back next year.
"Knowledge is power, guard it well."

(02-26-2018, 10:59 PM)DangerousBoy Wrote: I don't know. With Blake Bortles' restructuring his contract the likelihood of resigning Robinson and Colvin actually went up. I wouldn't be shocked to see both back next year.

I doubt very seriously if the Jaguars have ANY kind of budget. Better teams discipline spending. They allow personnel to walk rather than over-pay.

(02-27-2018, 01:08 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 10:59 PM)DangerousBoy Wrote: I don't know. With Blake Bortles' restructuring his contract the likelihood of resigning Robinson and Colvin actually went up. I wouldn't be shocked to see both back next year.

I doubt very seriously if the Jaguars have ANY kind of budget. Better teams discipline spending. They allow personnel to walk rather than over-pay.

Well I can see why you have an overall negative rating.

The jaguars do have a budget, cutting Ivory and a couple other lower tier players, as well as restructuring bortles, added a good chunk of change to an already existing budget before that happened.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

John O thinks it's likely he's signed. So I guess we're bringing the band back together.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2018, 07:18 AM by ATLjag.)

At Oklahoma, he played both corner and strong safety, and it shows. I like Colvin as he is not afraid to be an aggressive tackler, in addition to good coverage skills from the nickel. I think someone is going to give him a contract in the $6.5-8.5m per year range. If the Jags want him back, they can now afford him.

(02-27-2018, 07:12 AM)JackCity Wrote: John O thinks it's likely he's signed. So I guess we're bringing the band back together.

This is what I was scared of. I really didn't want to pat ourselves on the back after one season that had a lot of fluke potential, but that's exactly what it looks like is going to happen. Status quo isn't likely to work as well next year for all of the reasons I have expressed before.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2018, 07:53 AM by JackCity.)

(02-27-2018, 07:34 AM)Upper Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 07:12 AM)JackCity Wrote: John O thinks it's likely he's signed. So I guess we're bringing the band back together.

This is what I was scared of. I really didn't want to pat ourselves on the back after one season that had a lot of fluke potential, but that's exactly what it looks like is going to happen. Status quo isn't likely to work as well next year for all of the reasons I have expressed before.

I don't think theres any reason to be "scared" of Colvin coming back.     

If his price is 6/7 million I'm fine with that. At this point I trust the front office on contracts. 

Personally would rather draft some guy as I really like this slot class but I see the argument for bringing Colvin back.   

Believing that Colvin is our best option at slot next year instead of a rookie/FA is an entirely reasonable take. I am indifferent to it until I see any potential contract.

You are implying that Colvin coming back is based on familiarity over quality. I'd argue there is enough quality there to bring him back.

Sure, it depends what his price is. I think it should be higher than 6/7 mil. I think he'd likely command a Logan Ryan type 10M AAV for a proven top slot corner with boundary corner question marks on the open market.

I think he's a good player but it's super easy to draw the line to a QB upgrade if we just let him and Hurns go. I don't see how we are a better team keeping Bortles, Hurns, and Colvin instead of giving that money to Cousins.

(02-27-2018, 08:04 AM)Upper Wrote: Sure, it depends what his price is. I think it should be higher than 6/7 mil. I think he'd likely command a Logan Ryan type 10M AAV for a proven top slot corner with boundary corner question marks on the open market.

I think he's a good player but it's super easy to draw the line to a QB upgrade if we just let him and Hurns go. I don't see how we are a better team keeping Bortles, Hurns, and Colvin instead of giving that money to Cousins.

I'd say his contract will be 8 million a year max if he stays.  

Right and as you know if have preferred Cousins too. Seems as though Vikings have been in the driving seat for a while now so who knows if we even had a shot at him. Could well have influenced our Bortles move.  

Outside of maybe Tyrod I don't really rate any of the other FA QBs at the price they will cost.    

Was also in favour of moving up to take a top QB but that was highly unlikely anyway.

(02-27-2018, 07:34 AM)Upper Wrote:

Wait...so we're not drafting anybody?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I'd love to have Colvin back, I just hope it doesn't effect our long term plans when Ramsey gets paid. I want Ramsey/Bouye as the Jags long term duo. Unless we have the room to carry 3 high paid CB's I hope Colvin is the odd man out at that point.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2018, 09:10 AM by Upper.)

(02-27-2018, 08:17 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 08:04 AM)Upper Wrote: Sure, it depends what his price is. I think it should be higher than 6/7 mil. I think he'd likely command a Logan Ryan type 10M AAV for a proven top slot corner with boundary corner question marks on the open market.

I'd say his contract will be 8 million a year max if he stays.  

Right and as you know if have preferred Cousins too. Seems as though Vikings have been in the driving seat for a while now so who knows if we even had a shot at him. Could well have influenced our Bortles move.  

Outside of maybe Tyrod I don't really rate any of the other FA QBs at the price they will cost.    

Was also in favour of moving up to take a top QB but that was highly unlikely anyway.

It's less about any one move and just the entire feel I'm getting from the organization. We've seen teams like the Bengals and Texans that were bad
for so long and the first year they had an uptick they started patting themselves on the back and locking everything in and we saw how that went.

Heck, we've seen it ourselves with guys like Mike Thomas and Hurns. There was no reason whatsoever to hand either of them long term deals after one good season, with a lot of fluke factor potential, while we still had multiple years of cheap control with both. But we were so desperate to affirm anything that we made dumb moves and did it anyway. I worry that we are seeing the same thing now. We had our entire front office under control for 2 more years and could have easily made them prove that last season wasn't just an easy schedule/awful division/injury luck fluke. Now it looks like we're doing it on the player side. Hopefully I'm wrong but it just feels like we're going through a round of back pats for no reason and we've seen how that can go.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2018, 10:07 AM by JackCity.)

(02-27-2018, 09:09 AM)Upper Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 08:17 AM)JackCity Wrote: I'd say his contract will be 8 million a year max if he stays.  

It's less about any one move and just the entire feel I'm getting from the organization. We've seen teams like the Bengals and Texans that were bad
for so long and the first year they had an uptick they started patting themselves on the back and locking everything in and we saw how that went.

Heck, we've seen it ourselves with guys like Mike Thomas and Hurns. There was no reason whatsoever to hand either of them long term deals after one good season, with a lot of fluke factor potential, while we still had multiple years of cheap control with both. But we were so desperate to affirm anything that we made dumb moves and did it anyway. I worry that we are seeing the same thing now. We had our entire front office under control for 2 more years and could have easily made them prove that last season wasn't just an easy schedule/awful division/injury luck fluke. Now it looks like we're doing it on the player side. Hopefully I'm wrong but it just feels like we're going through a round of back pats for no reason and we've seen how that can go.

The Bengals and Marvin Lewis is a totally different situation.  

Yeah the Hurns contract wasn't good but he was fresh off of a 1k 10 TD season and we had tons of money. Has barely impacted us financially.   

Back pats for no reason? The AFC championship game is as good a reason as any (Bar superbowl ) to pat yourself on the back. I don't agree with the narrative that we fluked our way to it either. We earned that fair and square like any other team does. 

Those contract extensions are more a monetary reward than anything else. Bar a huge unprecedented collapse next year Marrone and Caldwell weren't getting fired anyway. So that brings them up to 2020 regardless. If they stink the place up and epically collapse that year it just means they get more of a golden handshake. Which I doubt happens as is.

No reason was the wrong word I suppose. Unnecessary would have been the better word. We had them locked up for two more seasons so the silly but lame duck season points don't even apply here. If I were Shad I would have said great season now do it again and we'll talk.

(02-27-2018, 11:06 AM)Upper Wrote: No reason was the wrong word I suppose. Unnecessary would have been the better word. We had them locked up for two more seasons so the silly but lame duck season points don't even apply here. If I were Shad I would have said great season now do it again and we'll talk.

If Doug and Caldwell are awful do you think they will last until 2021? I don't

(02-27-2018, 08:38 AM)Jags239 Wrote: I'd love to have Colvin back, I just hope it doesn't effect our long term plans when Ramsey gets paid. I want Ramsey/Bouye as the Jags long term duo. Unless we have the room to carry 3 high paid CB's I hope Colvin is the odd man out at that point.

That’s 3 years from now!

(02-27-2018, 08:38 AM)Jags239 Wrote: I'd love to have Colvin back, I just hope it doesn't effect our long term plans when Ramsey gets paid. I want Ramsey/Bouye as the Jags long term duo. Unless we have the room to carry 3 high paid CB's I hope Colvin is the odd man out at that point.
My man. You really think they're not going to be able to sign Ramsey?! Like.... They're dumb enough to give Colvin money and at the same time say "Man... if we sign Colvin.... how will we sign Ramsey?!"

You shouldn't worry about that because Ramsey's rookie contract does not run out until 2020, and then we can pick up the 5th year option, and then the next year we can franchise tag him.  So the Jaguars are completely in control of his contract until 2022!   That's four years from now! 

So, we have Ramsey/Bouye for at least 4 more years.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2018, 12:23 PM by Cleatwood.)

(02-27-2018, 12:19 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

You shouldn't worry about that because Ramsey's rookie contract does not run out until 2020, and then we can pick up the 5th year option, and then the next year we can franchise tag him.  So the Jaguars are completely in control of his contract until 2022!   That's four years from now! 

So, we have Ramsey/Bouye for at least 4 more years.
That should scare the rest of the AFC South. Their receivers will be pretty useless for the next 4 years.