Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
More than 1 in 8 Americans are now alcoholics

Exclamation 

And they're all on this Message Board   Big Grin

More than 1 in 8 Americans are now alcoholics

Americans are becoming increasingly heavy drinkers, with the greatest rise among women, older people and ethnic minorities, national surveys have shown.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/alcoholism-epid...cs-1634315
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't drink anymore. I don't drink any less, either.

I wonder how they define "alcoholism" I didn't see it in the article, maybe I overlooked it.

IMO, one drink a day isn't alcoholism, but some define it that way. Though it does depend on your attitude towards if you want it vs NEED it.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-09-2017, 06:32 PM)mvannostran Wrote: I wonder how they define "alcoholism" I didn't see it in the article, maybe I overlooked it.

IMO, one drink a day isn't alcoholism, but some define it that way. Though it does depend on your attitude towards if you want it vs NEED it.

I'm a Jaguar fan, of coarse I need it!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

"Men fall into the high-risk category if they have five or more standard drinks on one day at least once a week." Does that count game day?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-09-2017, 07:18 PM)hb1148 Wrote: "Men fall into the high-risk category if they have five or more standard drinks on one day at least once a week."  Does that count game day?

See, I don't consider that alcoholism. Once a week? No. If you're drinking that much multiple days a week, then yeah.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-09-2017, 07:18 PM)hb1148 Wrote: "Men fall into the high-risk category if they have five or more standard drinks on one day at least once a week."  Does that count game day?

By that definition the Queen of England is an alcoholic.

(08-09-2017, 07:36 PM)DragonFury Wrote:

So she is a Jag fan too?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Funny the Brits want to talk about our alcohol consumption when there is this...

"Britain has one of the highest drinking rates in the world, shocking new figures have revealed.
The average drinker in the UK has 15-and-a-half litres of pure alcohol a year - the equivalent of 775 pints of beer.
That's the same as 500 glasses of strong wine or 1000 shots of whisky or other spirits. Only eastern European countries such as Russia, Croatia and Estonia drink more."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z4pJZAwoJl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

(08-09-2017, 10:16 PM)wrong_box Wrote: Funny the Brits want to talk about our alcohol consumption when there is this...

"Britain has one of the highest drinking rates in the world, shocking new figures have revealed.
The average drinker in the UK has 15-and-a-half litres of pure alcohol a year - the equivalent of 775 pints of beer.
That's the same as 500 glasses of strong wine or 1000 shots of whisky or other spirits. Only eastern European countries such as Russia, Croatia and Estonia drink more."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z4pJZAwoJl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Sounds about right..
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(08-09-2017, 07:36 PM)DragonFury Wrote:

The quote was from the article but I've heard that the Queen can throw down a few whenever the Jags come to town.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

In a normal week aka a week with no special event like a weeding or a cookout or whatever I probably drink between 10-24 beers. That can't be that bad.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

1 in 8 sounds awfully low.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Back in my Navy days, if someone admitted to drinking more than 6 beers a week they were referred to a dependency program. Of course that meant nearly everyone lied.

(08-10-2017, 11:46 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Back in my Navy days, if someone admitted to drinking more than 6 beers a week they were referred to a dependency program. Of course that meant nearly everyone lied.

Surely in the Navy, you'd struggle to keep below 6 beers per day?
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Wonder how they came up with that...
Oh... a survery?
The first survey in 2001-02 questioned about 43,000 people on their drinking habits, while the second (2012-2014) questioned 36,000 people. These large samples aimed to include people from all walks of life in the US to make sure they painted an accurate picture of the national population.

The number of people who had consumed alcohol in the past 12 months went up 11.2% in the time between surveys. High-risk drinking went up by almost 30%. This means that at present about 29.6 million Americans are putting their health at risk due to their drinking habits.

I'm going to round up to 50k for my argument...

50k people surveyed is such a small sample of how many people are actually in America...323 million
0.015479876161% (percentage of people polled of US population)

Findings should say "1 in 8 people of those surveyed"

Because to extrapolate so far is ridiculous.
And this is why people THINK they are going to win elections when they aren't. Because with the large population of America you can not poll or survey for accurate results.

Yet people still blindly follow these polls and surveys done by people who obviously have too much time on their hands.

Can I get a synopsis, I'm too drunk to read.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-10-2017, 03:10 PM)Kane Wrote: Wonder how they came up with that...
Oh... a survery?
The first survey in 2001-02 questioned about 43,000 people on their drinking habits, while the second (2012-2014) questioned 36,000 people. These large samples aimed to include people from all walks of life in the US to make sure they painted an accurate picture of the national population.

The number of people who had consumed alcohol in the past 12 months went up 11.2% in the time between surveys. High-risk drinking went up by almost 30%. This means that at present about 29.6 million Americans are putting their health at risk due to their drinking habits.

I'm going to round up to 50k for my argument...

50k people surveyed is such a small sample of how many people are actually in America...323 million
0.015479876161% (percentage of people polled of US population)

Findings should say "1 in 8 people of those surveyed"

Because to extrapolate so far is ridiculous.
And this is why people THINK they are going to win elections when they aren't. Because with the large population of America you can not poll or survey for accurate results.

Yet people still blindly follow these polls and surveys done by people who obviously have too much time on their hands.
I have no clue what all that means. Maybe I've just had too much to drink..... Banana
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Probably gonna have my 5 weekly beers tonight

...For the third time this week  Banana

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2017, 01:58 PM by Kane.)

(08-10-2017, 03:14 PM)Rico Wrote: Can I get a synopsis, I'm too drunk to read.

(08-10-2017, 03:15 PM)Dakota Wrote: I have no clue what all that means. Maybe I've just had too much to drink..... Banana

Polls are not conclusive...

tens of thousands out of hundreds of millions does not properly survey.
I seriously doubt 1 in 8 people in America are alcoholics.