Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Deshaun Watson shines in Texans' preseason opener

Deshaun Watson shines in Texans' preseason opener

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...son-opener

Houston Texans rookie QB Deshaun Watson impressed in his NFL debut Wednesday night, outshining veteran Tom Savage. Chris Wesseling breaks down what else we learned from Texans-Panthers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree his throws were sharper than I expected, and I was really impressed by his awareness to get down and slide after avoiding pressure, and I only counted one ball that he wrongly tried to force into coverage.

But with the baby-throws, single man reads, quick outs, only a few times letting the ball travel more than 10 yards in the air, scheme they implemented for him, it's hard to judge.

He was composed but he had the training-wheels on. Nothing wrong with that, probably the correct way to bring him along, build his confidence through easy completions, let him find his rhythm, and install more routes slowly. But I wouldn't rave over completing a bunch of 7 yard outs.

The ball came out better than I expected though, so no biased hate intended.

It's hard to really learn anything from preseason games.
Huh

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2017, 07:30 AM by imtheblkranger.)

I have a hard time saying he "shined"

He looked good, better than Savage. But as mentioned, a lot of quick single reads and high percentage throws. His pocket awareness was impressive.

I do think he can be better than anyone Houston has had in a long time, but he did have some bad over throws too
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I only watched the first half, but if I were to be completely unbiased about what I saw then I'd be concerned were I a Texans fan.

His mobility was excellent, and I think his decision making was okay, he threw some balls away rather than taking a sack, which is good. Of course he wasn't playing against a starting level defense or for a team that was gameplanning him. Unfortunately he also seems to have really bad control and terrible ball placement. Had some really off target throws.

Looks a lot like Bortles but with even worse throwing ability but better running ability.

I can see the national media is already looking to crown him thanks to his market, but it'll be interesting to see how the Texans fans feel about him in a few years.

(08-10-2017, 08:04 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I only watched the first half, but if I were to be completely unbiased about what I saw then I'd be concerned were I a Texans fan.

His mobility was excellent, and I think his decision making was okay, he threw some balls away rather than taking a sack, which is good. Of course he wasn't playing against a starting level defense or for a team that was gameplanning him. Unfortunately he also seems to have really bad control and terrible ball placement. Had some really off target throws.

Looks a lot like Bortles but with even worse throwing ability but better running ability.

I can see the national media is already looking to crown him thanks to his market, but it'll be interesting to see how the Texans fans feel about him in a few years.

Have to agree with you. There were a lot more concerns than good for Houston last night. The starting OL looked really bad. Though I'm not sure if I saw Brown out there at all. And Anderson marched down the field against the starting secondary. Texans offense just looked stale. 

Again, preseason week 1, but still more concerns than positives for Houston.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I wish the Jags had a QB that could accurately complete a bunch of 7 yard outs....

I think "shined" is a bit overzealous. He showed great potential as a read option QB, nothing more. I will say his arm strength appeared better than what I remember. In any case, all the issues mentioned of his college career are still there. He is a one read QB and uses his feet too much. The same can be said of his pocket presence. One tiny pocket breakdown and instead of sliding left, right, or forward, his instinct is to tuck and run. While that may work at times, the NFL is much faster than college. Hence why nothing worked until facing 2s and 3s. At the moment I see him as a Colin Kap with slightly better downfield awareness. Savage was well...Weeden looked better.

As far as the rest of the texans team...I will have to see the next few preseason games, but man, they could be in serious trouble. That OL is not good. That secondary is not good. LBers look slow in coverage. DL failed to get any push. I don't think we can really judge the pass rush because they appeared to not stunt or try to get to the QB. Looked like a lot of just man on a man.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I watched it... he looked good for a rookie in his first outing.
He made a few plays that were negated because of his dumb teammates.
That's about all there is to say about it.

Shines?
Man... the quality of writing/journalism has really gone down hill in the past decade or so with the explosion of hot takes and social media and the ever expanding internetverse...

Looks like a faster Alex Smith.

(08-10-2017, 10:24 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Looks like a faster Alex Smith.

If thats the case then he will be a pretty solid QB. Time will tell.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(08-10-2017, 10:29 AM)Browntrouser Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 10:24 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Looks like a faster Alex Smith.

If thats the case then he will be a pretty solid QB. Time will tell.

So about 6 OCs 4 HCs and 7 seasons?
Big Grin Tongue Cool

I feel like I watched a different game. Sure Watson can run around, but his passes beyond five yards were all over the place with deeper passes landing without Texans receiver in sight. The kid will probably need a few years developing that arm of his before he's any good. ...maybe by 2020.
'02

looks like a west coast qb. Could be more, didn't really see any more arm from him than before and he took a lot of checkdowns. Had bad placement downfield. Moved well in the pocket though, that will change with teams scheming him and then dealing with starters. Didn't seem like they were grooming him to be anymore than a game manager.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

No blitzes.
Defense had no film of his countless bootleg roll outs in which he'd hit someone 5 yards down the field.

funny thing was that Savage was 9-11 but everyone is talking about Watson. LOL

(08-10-2017, 10:35 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I feel like I watched a different game. Sure Watson can run around, but his passes beyond five yards were all over the place with deeper passes landing without Texans receiver in sight. The kid will probably need a few years developing that arm of his before he's any good. ...maybe by 2020.

Right, he had terrible ball placement and his down field throws were consistently off the mark.

The love for him is likely more about the large market. Bortles would get ripped for the same performance.

The other rookies looked better than him imo.

Him starting week one will be a good thing for the Jags. Those vets on our D-line will eat him up. Put the fear in him, make him pee-pee his pants. Lets hope he starts.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

As a Jags fan, I was glad the tinhorns selected Watson instead of Mahomes in the draft.
I haven't seen enough to make me change my mind about that.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2017, 09:30 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

This forum has gone to crap, where is coltswarior and phychop? I'm still here (cancer came back, but I'm still here)

Hell I even got banned lol

Sorry to hear about Dakota, point is this forum used to be a hell of a lot better. What the hell happened?

I'm Carr Bombed BTW which will probably get me banned again for admitting it, at this point in my life I don't care