Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Myles Jack can't tackle

(08-11-2017, 11:58 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He got caught chasing too much. He needs to anticipate the play quicker and fill up the lane by coming downhill. All he did last night was chase.

He saw real quick that guys are too fast.

Boy I disagree with this.  He anticipated plenty quick.  I thought he took some bad angles that resulted in him 'chasing'.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He managed to put himself if good position to make the tackle where it needed to be made, but he just couldn't follow through with the tackle. I bet he looks awesome in OTAs when they don't hit.

...although on his last blatant whiff he was chasing the guy.

'02

The guy just played his first real game as a MLB. What did y'all expect? He's still learning the position.

Reminds me of pre-season last year when everyone was jumping down Telvin Smith's throat after one game.

(08-11-2017, 01:27 PM)Rico Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 11:58 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He got caught chasing too much. He needs to anticipate the play quicker and fill up the lane by coming downhill. All he did last night was chase.

He saw real quick that guys are too fast.

Boy I disagree with this.  He anticipated plenty quick.  I thought he took some bad angles that resulted in him 'chasing'.

This. He took some horrible angles last night. 

Whew! Some hot takes in this thread.

Spittin' lava.

I agree. He stunk in coverage as well.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Surprise, surprise.... another thread essentially calling for the head of a player - this time targeting a second year player that didn't get much playing time under doopy Gus. Our fan base is never going to learn....

(08-11-2017, 08:36 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote: Surprise, surprise.... another thread essentially calling for the head of a player - this time targeting a second year player that didn't get much playing time under doopy Gus. Our fan base is never going to learn....

Indeed I'm guilty of targeting. Of course, I wasn't targeting Jack because I'm rooting for him. However, I was targeting the player that kept slipping off the RB. It just so happened that the player was Jack...  our starting MLB.

'02

I think his night was up and down. He had a couple missed tackles that made be grown for sure and some bad angles. He also had a couple pretty good tackles one on a rb right at the line.

Really hoping to see him grow and turn into something special for us but I'm also willing to give him some time. With the new regime I expect he is taking some serious heat for those missed tackles next practice.

This is nothing new, this deciding between a hulk, or a tweener who can run tackle and cover. It's been going on decades because of the liberal passing rules have created the Tight end and RB over the middle nightmare. Personally I would rather have someone who can tackle like a machine, rather than someone who can do both jobs half [BLEEP]. The truth seems to be all these linebackers who supposedly can both tackle and cover can do neither very well. I would prefer the Wilber Marshall, Poz type of Linebacker, at least the run games gets shut down. Then with pressure the passing game can "maybe" be hindered. Nature and workouts actually do "make" body types and players that resemble Poz, it's simply the trend to get the 220 faster linebackers. That trend will probably reverse itself in a few years.

(08-10-2017, 10:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jack don't have a clue. Let Brown be our MLB and put Jack back outside. Sit Poz
Poz is a tackling machine and you want to sit him! If Jack don't workout then Poz should move back into middle linebacker.

Jack missed one tackle and took bad angles on a couple of tackles. Hell get better in the middle.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(08-12-2017, 05:56 AM)Banatha Wrote: This is nothing new, this deciding between a hulk, or a tweener who can run tackle and cover. It's been going on decades because of the liberal passing rules have created the Tight end and RB over the middle nightmare. Personally I would rather have someone who can tackle like a machine, rather than someone who can do both jobs half [BLEEP]. The truth seems to be all these linebackers who supposedly can both tackle and cover can do neither very well. I would prefer the Wilber Marshall, Poz type of Linebacker, at least the run games gets shut down. Then with pressure the passing game can "maybe" be hindered. Nature and workouts actually do "make" body types and players that resemble Poz, it's simply the trend to get the 220 faster linebackers. That trend will probably reverse itself in a few years.
"Never half [BLEEP] two things, whole [BLEEP] one thing" -Ron Swanson

(08-12-2017, 10:24 AM)NH3 Wrote: Jack missed one tackle and took bad angles on a couple of tackles. Hell get better in the middle.

NH3...

Sorry... Jack totally whiffed on at least three tackles.
'02

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2017, 01:11 PM by Sosa.)

Myles Jack can tackle, as seen Thursday night. He missed a couple, just like the entire defense did. This is a pathetic post and attempt to suggest benching a Top 5 prospect before knee concerns let him fall to us. The kid needs live reps, and needs to play a lot this pre-season to get comfortable for week one. I'm so glad most of you aren't in charge of our team.

(08-12-2017, 10:23 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 10:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jack don't have a clue. Let Brown be our MLB and put Jack back outside. Sit Poz
Poz is a tackling machine and you want to sit him! If Jack don't workout then Poz should move back into middle linebacker.

Poz is unable to cover over the middle and catch open field RB's. He's getting older, you need to move on and get Jack ready for the future. Poz will be just fine next to him.

(08-12-2017, 01:09 PM)Sosa Wrote: Myles Jack can tackle, as seen Thursday night. He missed a couple, just like the entire defense did. This is a pathetic post and attempt to suggest benching a Top 5 prospect before knee concerns let him fall to us. The kid needs live reps, and needs to play a lot this pre-season to get comfortable for week one. I'm so glad most of you aren't in charge of our team.

(08-12-2017, 10:23 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: Poz is a tackling machine and you want to sit him! If Jack don't workout then Poz should move back into middle linebacker.

Poz is unable to cover over the middle and catch open field RB's. He's getting older, you need to move on and get Jack ready for the future. Poz will be just fine next to him.

Maybe I'm overreacting here, but I'm just of the belief you should never have to question the tackling ability of your starting MLB. You mention the entire defense missing tackles, but I don't recall Telvin or Poz just sliding off a RB. I wouldn't have said something if it was just once, but Jack did this over and over again.

'02

(08-12-2017, 05:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
Maybe I'm overreacting here, but I'm just of the belief you should never have to question the tackling ability of your starting MLB. You mention the entire defense missing tackles, but I don't recall Telvin or Poz just sliding off a RB. I wouldn't have said something if it was just once, but Jack did this over and over again.

I'm just nitpicking here, but Telvin has had a half dozen such instances (not) tackling running backs and he's also been bullied out of position at times due to his size.  I recall him being roasted here in game day threads for failing to stop a larger running back and also being moved out of his gap by a blocking TE or WR. 

For the record I'm a really big fan of Telvin and I think that Jack may just take longer than many of us anticipated to acclimate. 
As long as we see some real progress in the coming three weeks, I'll remain optimistic that the team is making a smart move at MLB.

The nfl is filled to the brim with awful tackling, it doesnt matter that much

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017, 04:19 AM by paulyman29.)

(08-12-2017, 11:37 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-12-2017, 10:24 AM)NH3 Wrote: Jack missed one tackle and took bad angles on a couple of tackles. Hell get better in the middle.

NH3...

Sorry... Jack totally whiffed on at least three tackles.
Can you provide the times of these whiffs. I just rewatched the game and only counted one missed tackle (8:55ish mark of 2nd Q, right after Cole's long TD).
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

we also shouldn't overlook the fact that Myles is incredibly young and was as raw as it gets coming out of the draft. He didn't have a definitive position coming out and he didn't have one on our roster last year either.
He was drafted for his athleticism, energy and talent. Let's wait and see if he can cultivate those two things into MLB.
I personally think he's not big enough to play MLB, when I think MLB I think of a big and stout frame (Urlacher, Poz, Lewis, Singletary, Bruschi), I don't necessarily think quick and agile applies to that, unless you're a Patrick Willis (who btw was also big and stout).