Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Myles Jack can't tackle

(08-11-2017, 08:36 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote: Surprise, surprise.... another thread essentially calling for the head of a player - this time targeting a second year player that didn't get much playing time under doopy Gus. Our fan base is never going to learn....

They're the fans Gus deserved. Too bad they didn't go with him.

(08-13-2017, 02:17 AM)GlockBortles Wrote: The nfl is filled to the brim with awful tackling, it doesnt matter that much

Fewer days in pads and less contact in practice means they aren't as good at fundamental football, they mostly get by on freak athleticism.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think the concerns are valid. As a MLB your primary skill should be tackling. It's like having a qb who has everything except he struggles throwing the football. It's a concern.

Poz never had that issue, even as a rookie.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

The concerns are warranted. The preseason is for evaluation, no matter the player. This one gets extra attention because of all the hype and fact he is replacing a tackling machine. My opinion at this point is that it appears his knowledge of the MLB position may be lacking, causing him to react slow and be out of position. If now is not the time to be concerned and address it, when? Coincidentally, he had trouble getting playing time last year because of his football IQ. His athleticism won't hide these faults at MLB.

I was actually more impressed with Brown at the position.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-13-2017, 04:15 AM)paulyman29 Wrote:
(08-12-2017, 11:37 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Sorry... Jack totally whiffed on at least three tackles.
Can you provide the times of these whiffs. I just rewatched the game and only counted one missed tackle (8:55ish mark of 2nd Q, right after Cole's long TD).

I started looking to see what the issue was with our run defense maybe five minutes in. Right away I spotted the first one, and it was a couple series later than I spotted the second. I'm thinking mid-to-late first quarter for those two. The scond quarter whiff you mentioned I believe is the one where he tried to chase down the RB from behind. 
'02

Poz at MLB in today's practice during base downs.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-13-2017, 01:32 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Poz at MLB in today's practice during base downs.

Oh that is interesting. Was Jack at SLB or just not even on the field?

(08-13-2017, 01:37 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 01:32 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Poz at MLB in today's practice during base downs.

Oh that is interesting. Was Jack at SLB or just not even on the field?

He was SLB in base packages and in nickel packages it was him and Telvin on the field as LB.

(08-13-2017, 03:00 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 01:37 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Oh that is interesting. Was Jack at SLB or just not even on the field?

He was SLB in base packages and in nickel packages it was him and Telvin on the field as LB.

I could get on board with this.

I'm telling you right now....Brown is the best LB we have. Dudes going to be a straight up stud.

(08-12-2017, 11:37 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Sorry... Jack totally whiffed on at least three tackles.
Can you provide the times of these whiffs. I just rewatched the game and only counted one missed tackle (8:55ish mark of 2nd Q, right after Cole's long TD).

I'd also like to know the times. I just rewatched the condensed game watching 44 on defense and I too saw only one missed tackle. I saw him take a bad angle /get out run on another play. I also saw him shed blocks nicely and hit tge RB on a handful of plays. For his first live action at the position, I thought he did considerably well.

Some of the replies in this thread are hilarious. 

(08-13-2017, 03:00 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 01:37 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Oh that is interesting. Was Jack at SLB or just not even on the field?

This is absolutely our best option right now until Jack gets more comfortable. Weren't a lot of us suggesting this last year as it is?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-13-2017, 09:27 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I'm telling you right now....Brown is the best LB we have. Dudes going to be a straight up stud.

Yeah the backups always are you know until they become the starter and then they suck and there backup becomes the stud.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

I did not have the opportunity to watch the game. But did he seem to get in good position? Did he read the plays well? Did he shed blocks?
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(08-14-2017, 07:59 AM)mvannostran Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 03:00 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: He was SLB in base packages and in nickel packages it was him and Telvin on the field as LB.

This is absolutely our best option right now until Jack gets more comfortable. Weren't a lot of us suggesting this last year as it is?

Yes.... A LOT of people suggested it to John O in Zone... in comments... it was on this board to.

The company line was "the coaches feel it best to have Poz on the field......"
then it was "the coaches are switching Jack to MLB"

there could be no two ways about it and everyone that suggested this way it seems they may try now... well they just needed to accept that it couldn't be.

Now Oehser is trotting it out like it was the plan all along or it's the new line to press...
He wouldn't be surprised if it ends up this way he says....

just two weeks ago it wasn't it couldn't it wouldn't.....

lulz

(08-14-2017, 07:59 AM)mvannostran Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 03:00 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: He was SLB in base packages and in nickel packages it was him and Telvin on the field as LB.

Yes.

Many of us speculated/wondered  if they could just take Poz out on nickel downs and coach Jack up enough to be MLB with that package only.

I like that this staff is exploring that option.  It may be the best way to utilize the talent on the roster at LB.

This should have been the move all along. Poz is still very good in base downs. Just get Jack with Telvin on the field on nickel.

(08-14-2017, 09:05 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: I did not have the opportunity to watch the game. But did he seem to get in good position? Did he read the plays well? Did he shed blocks?

On his two first quarter whiffs, yeah he seemed to do all these things just fine putting himself in position to stuff the RB, but it sort of seemed all for naught when his wrapped up arms literally slipped right off the RB.
'02

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2017, 02:35 PM by irontrooper83.)

*Marrone said middle linebacker Paul Posluszny will work at the middle linebacker position in base defense this week with Myles Jack working at strong-side linebacker. Marrone said he wants to continue to determine the Jaguars’ best linebacking group in base situations, and said Jack and Telvin Smith will remain the linebackers in nickel packages. …

Marrone also said that Jack will line up the defense when in nickel because he's a 3 downs linebacker no matter what position he'll play in base.

Me too, 1 missed tackle, and 1 over pursue but Malik Jackson got put on his [BLEEP] and Ngakoue pushed upfield too much. He wasnt the only problem on the play, Telvin on the other hand had 1 horrible miss that i remember, but i didnt go back and specifically watch Telvin. Only thing i would like to see better is Jack shooting gaps downhill rsther than reacting and playing sideways, but i dont know what Todd Wash is asking of him.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

Sounds like Jack is a great athlete but not a great football player.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>