Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Threats/Strengths in the division

What in your opinion, is the biggest threat/weaknesses

Titans:

Threat:  They have a strong offensive line and good running backs, so they could theoretically be Dallas light in our division.

Weakness: Consistency? they seemed like a super inconsistent team last year.  They have a strong offensive line and good running backs, so they could theoretically be Dallas light in our division, but their defense seems suspect.

Texans:

Threat: Front 7, and NUK - he gets his yardage in the game because they just move him off the #1 corner.  If we get what we paid for we might not have this issue this year. 

Weakness: Qb Qb Qb.  What are they going to pull out at DB.  They also lost some power in their secondary

Colts: 

Threat: QB. 

Weakness: Everything else on their team? They didn't really seem to upgrade their offensive line much which they need, nor their defense.
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-13-2017, 12:23 AM)archer56 Wrote: What in your opinion, is the biggest threat/weaknesses

Titans:

Threat:  They have a strong offensive line and good running backs, so they could theoretically be Dallas light in our division.

Weakness: Consistency? they seemed like a super inconsistent team last year.  They have a strong offensive line and good running backs, so they could theoretically be Dallas light in our division, but their defense seems suspect.

Texans:

Threat: Front 7, and NUK - he gets his yardage in the game because they just move him off the #1 corner.  If we get what we paid for we might not have this issue this year. 

Weakness: Qb Qb Qb.  What are they going to pull out at DB.  They also lost some power in their secondary

Colts: 

Threat: QB. 

Weakness: Everything else on their team? They didn't really seem to upgrade their offensive line much which they need, nor their defense.

Right now we assume all of the above to be true, but it all remains to be seen.

The titans looked great last year against a last place schedule and won against teams that had trouble stopping the run. Their signature win was against a Green Bay that had Rodgers inexplicably have a terrible game against a pretty bad secondary. They also won very close and low scoring games against KC and Denver, a couple of teams without a QB capable of exploiting their defense. Could the titans be good? I guess it's possible, but my impression from them last year was if you came ready to stop the run with good gap integrity and some grit, and could throw they were a team you should be able to win against, because they weren't a team that could come back from multiple scores down.

The biggest worry for me against the titans is that Jack did not look ready for the amount of run stopping he's going to need to do against the titans in game two of the season. This Myles Jack move could end up costing us a couple of early games against the texans and titans because I don't think they have the QB play necessary to win against the Jaguars if the Jaguars can stop their early downs running game.

The texans supposedly have a great defensive line, but a lot of that belief is about people thinking JJ Watt will be the same guy this year after major back injuries last year, but there are plenty of guys that never fully came back from that kind of thing. We'll see how they hold up against the run come week 1, but my guess is they won't be as imposing as everyone thinks they will be. The bigger problem for the Jaguars will be playing a disciplined game on defense and not letting them get any easy yards, which I'm afraid our inexperienced middle linebacker may allow. Stop the texans running and run decently on them and the Jaguars should be able to win a low scoring game.

The colts are really lucky they didn't get the Jaguars in the first month of the season. I'm not sure that Luck will ever truly be "back" with his shoulder problems, but the Jaguars would easily win against indy if we played them while luck is out. They're not good stopping the run, and their only strength would be that referees seem to hate calling pass interference on Vontae Davis.

To sum it up, I'm not really sure we know what the true strengths of the division are right now, just what they're assumed to be based on years past.

(08-13-2017, 08:10 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 12:23 AM)archer56 Wrote: What in your opinion, is the biggest threat/weaknesses

The texans supposedly have a great defensive line, but a lot of that belief is about people thinking JJ Watt will be the same guy this year after major back injuries last year, but there are plenty of guys that never fully came back from that kind of thing. We'll see how they hold up against the run come week 1, but my guess is they won't be as imposing as everyone thinks they will be. 

The tinhorns have a pretty good defensive line even without Watt, IMO. 
Mercilus gets pressure consistently from the edge or by shooting the A or B gap, and they move him around pretty wisely. 
Clowney has finally acclimated to the NFL game and could be even better in 2017 than he was in his "breakout" year. 
Their interior guys are quality players as well. The unit finished 12th against the run, second against the pass and 11th overall in points allowed -- with watt only playing in two games. 

They do have some young players in their interior intended rotation that may or may not show some weakness in their game at times  - and I'd look for the Jags to attempt to focus there in their ground attack.

(08-13-2017, 10:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 08:10 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: The texans supposedly have a great defensive line, but a lot of that belief is about people thinking JJ Watt will be the same guy this year after major back injuries last year, but there are plenty of guys that never fully came back from that kind of thing. We'll see how they hold up against the run come week 1, but my guess is they won't be as imposing as everyone thinks they will be. 

The tinhorns have a pretty good defensive line even without Watt, IMO. 
Mercilus gets pressure consistently from the edge or by shooting the A or B gap, and they move him around pretty wisely. 
Clowney has finally acclimated to the NFL game and could be even better in 2017 than he was in his "breakout" year. 
Their interior guys are quality players as well. The unit finished 12th against the run, second against the pass and 11th overall in points allowed -- with watt only playing in two games. 

They do have some young players in their interior intended rotation that may or may not show some weakness in their game at times  - and I'd look for the Jags to attempt to focus there in their ground attack.

I think their defense is great in certain situations, and it happens that it matched up very well with the Jaguars of the last few years. I'm not sure it will match up well this year.

Their run defense was adequate, but by no means exceptional, and inserting a severely weakened JJ Watt may actually hurt it if he's not the same guy he was.

The main reason their defense was so imposing to the Jaguars in years past is because the Jaguars weren't focusing on running the ball at all, and except for Ivory last year didn't have anyone worth a damn to run it anyway, so instead of running it and winning games 13-9 they'd put the game on Bortles' shoulders, and the line couldn't hold up against the pass rush very well at all.

Like I said, we'll see how it works out, but if the Jaguars can either teach Jack to play MLB, or admit the mistake and insert Poz back into it to start the season I could see them taking out the texans in a low scoring affair. Of course if Jack is in there and missing tons of tackles and taking bad angles then the Jaguars might lose badly in spite of the running game being effective against the texans.

(08-13-2017, 10:24 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 10:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The tinhorns have a pretty good defensive line even without Watt, IMO. 

I think their defense is great in certain situations, and it happens that it matched up very well with the Jaguars of the last few years. I'm not sure it will match up well this year.

Their run defense was adequate, but by no means exceptional, and inserting a severely weakened JJ Watt may actually hurt it if he's not the same guy he was.

The main reason their defense was so imposing to the Jaguars in years past is because the Jaguars weren't focusing on running the ball at all, and except for Ivory last year didn't have anyone worth a damn to run it anyway, so instead of running it and winning games 13-9 they'd put the game on Bortles' shoulders, and the line couldn't hold up against the pass rush very well at all.

Like I said, we'll see how it works out, but if the Jaguars can either teach Jack to play MLB, or admit the mistake and insert Poz back into it to start the season I could see them taking out the texans in a low scoring affair. Of course if Jack is in there and missing tons of tackles and taking bad angles then the Jaguars might lose badly in spite of the running game being effective against the texans.

Having some duality offensively will definitely help that matchup for the Jags. I hope it actually comes together. I think it will, I'm just not sure to what degree it will in week one. 

RE: the MLB situation  - I think that Jack has two (maybe three) solid weeks of prep and preseason snaps ahead of him to become more comfortable and aware at the new spot. I'm not writing him off just yet. Having Poz around and some new depth at LB at least gives them a bit of a safety net should the task prove too great for Myles. 
I actually feel positive about Marrone/Wash making this switch, even if they have to reverse it at some point, because it shows a willingness to make changes in an area of weakness. (MLB coverage ability)

After watching everyone's first preseason game...

they all looked like poo, for the most part...

I ain't scurred of no AFCS opponents...

(08-14-2017, 09:38 AM)Kane Wrote: After watching everyone's first preseason game...

they all looked like poo, for the most part...

I ain't scurred of no AFCS opponents...

Pretty much. Objectively, Jax looked the best of them all. Tennessee looked bad, Indy looked horrible. Houston looked ok, but still a lot of questions for them. 

But, nothing matters until Sept. The 0-16 Lions won every preseason game.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-13-2017, 10:24 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 10:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The tinhorns have a pretty good defensive line even without Watt, IMO. 

The Texans have the best front 7 in football and just got back the best defensive player in the NFL, even if Watt is at 60%, he's a terror. Mercilus and Clowney are elite pass rushers/run stoppers and they have lots of other pieces around like Reader. Even with Bouye gone they have 3 good corners in Jackson, Johnson and Joseph.   

Both defenses should smother the other teams offense. It'll come down to turnovers and field position. Basically, if Blake turns the ball over 2 or 3 times its an L. If Watson plays I'd be more sure of a Texans win than if Savage plays.

Call me lazy, but I think the biggest threat to us is us. I do not look at Houston, Tennessee, or Indy and say "yep, clear cut better roster from top on down." We have some serious talent, and barring our QB, I think we are the best team in the division on paper.

Tennessee has a solid team, i think we are better

Indy is a huge wild card to me, is Luck coming back full form? Can he carry that defense?

Is JJ Watt going to be his old self? How much longer can that defense carry that team? Is that offense going to do anything with a lame duck QB?

I just think we are overall the best team in the south, we just have to go take it and prove it.

I just, for the life of me, still don't understand the hype around Tennessee
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-15-2017, 06:47 AM)mvannostran Wrote: I just, for the life of me, still don't understand the hype around Tennessee

Up and coming QB, solid O-line, great running backs, improved (on paper) at the WR position, some upgrades to what was a decent defense.  Plenty of reason for optimism.  I'd rather not have the media hype though.  It's like the kiss of death.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(08-15-2017, 09:48 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 06:47 AM)mvannostran Wrote: I just, for the life of me, still don't understand the hype around Tennessee

Up and coming QB, solid O-line, great running backs, improved (on paper) at the WR position, some upgrades to what was a decent defense.  Plenty of reason for optimism.  I'd rather not have the media hype though.  It's like the kiss of death.

Yeah... remember when the Jaguars were about to make that jump? From playoff hopeful to favorites....
Some people even picked us for the supperbowl

That was 2008..........

Then... almost a decade later...
The Jags are dark horse darlings again... being picked by many to make a jump again behind a promising young QB and a plethora of weapons at WR and TE along with a promising revamped defense...
Then they bumble, stumble, and collapse to a 3 win season...

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 11:33 AM by unf_nashvillian.)

(08-15-2017, 10:57 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 09:48 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: Up and coming QB, solid O-line, great running backs, improved (on paper) at the WR position, some upgrades to what was a decent defense.  Plenty of reason for optimism.  I'd rather not have the media hype though.  It's like the kiss of death.

Yeah... remember when the Jaguars were about to make that jump? From playoff hopeful to favorites....

That was 2008..........

The Jags are dark horse darlings again... being picked by many to make a jump again behind a promising young QB and a plethora of weapons at WR and TE along with a promising revamped defense...

Y'all have fixed the HC issue, and now I think the only thing holding the Jags back is the QB position.  Unless Bortles does an about face, you'll be taking a QB in the first round next year.  The worst thing that could happen for you is for Bortles to suck and you go like 6-10 and have to trade up to get your QB.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(08-15-2017, 11:33 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 10:57 AM)Kane Wrote: Yeah... remember when the Jaguars were about to make that jump? From playoff hopeful to favorites....

That was 2008..........

Y'all have fixed the HC issue, and now I think the only thing holding the Jags back is the QB position.  Unless Bortles does an about face, you'll be taking a QB in the first round next year.  The worst thing that could happen for you is for Bortles to suck and you go like 6-10 and have to trade up to get your QB.

Yeah... for sure... this team is to the point where they literally live and die by the QB play. Average or better and the team is in good position...

But I was speaking on the all of a sudden tack hype train in certain media circles... which tbh, I kinda pushed some myself... Based on last year, the promise of progress of a young QB, etc etc...

But like you said... kiss of death... Too much hype and one ding or dent into that young QB... and the tacks could end up falling way short of the goals many think they are able to achieve. 

Here's hoping.  Wink Tongue Cool

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 12:04 PM by unf_nashvillian.)

(08-15-2017, 11:47 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 11:33 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: Y'all have fixed the HC issue, and now I think the only thing holding the Jags back is the QB position.  Unless Bortles does an about face, you'll be taking a QB in the first round next year.  The worst thing that could happen for you is for Bortles to suck and you go like 6-10 and have to trade up to get your QB.

Yeah... for sure... this team is to the point where they literally live and die by the QB play. Average or better and the team is in good position...

But I was speaking on the all of a sudden tack hype train in certain media circles... which tbh, I kinda pushed some myself... Based on last year, the promise of progress of a young QB, etc etc...

But like you said... kiss of death... Too much hype and one ding or dent into that young QB... and the tacks could end up falling way short of the goals many think they are able to achieve. 

Going from 3-13 one year to 9-7 the next will create some buzz, especially in what is perceived as a weak AFCS.

(08-15-2017, 12:03 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 11:47 AM)Kane Wrote: Yeah... for sure... this team is to the point where they literally live and die by the QB play. Average or better and the team is in good position...

Going from 3-13 one year to 9-7 the next will create some buzz, especially in what is perceived as a weak AFCS.

Yeah... unfortunately (I assume) anything less than 10 wins this year (and at least challenging for AFCS crown) will be a huge letdown

(08-15-2017, 12:35 PM)Kane Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 12:03 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: Going from 3-13 one year to 9-7 the next will create some buzz, especially in what is perceived as a weak AFCS.

Yeah... unfortunately (I assume) anything less than 10 wins this year (and at least challenging for AFCS crown) will be a huge letdown

10 wins is about what most of us expect.  Nothing more.

I think this year the AFCS balances out to more resemble what it should be. Winner of the division is 9-7. In my opinion, last year the tacks overachieved, the texans got lucky a time or two, the colts were right about what I expected, and the Jags underachieved. I know preseason doesn't say much but you can learn a thing or two from individual matchups. I look forward to the remaining games to get a better idea, but after one game:

tacks- Have high offensive ceiling but lack receiver depth. The defense looks like they may slip backward.
texans- Have relied too much on the defense and we're seeing the fall in the lack of addressing the offense. The defense will suffer inconsistency within that front seven when mixed with less than stellar DB play. I think they will be good against the run, but they get exposed this year in the pass big time.
colts- Offense goes as Luck goes. No luck, colts hit bottom. After watching their D play, I think they may be underrated on that side of the ball.
jags- Offense goes as Bortles goes. I see him having the reins put on and relegated to game manager duty. Not always a bad thing. The defense has the pieces to be special. Weakness this year is what combo to play at LB. Not like being exposed in the middle by TEs is all that new.

Not going to try and rank the teams just yet. Haven't seen enough game play.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Between the "on paper" stuff and the first preseason games, this is how I see it.

Jaguars - Should have a pretty good defense and an improved offense.  They shouldn't be as "one dimensional" on offense as they have been for the past few seasons with an improved run game.  The big key is going to be reducing the number and frequency of costly turnovers and it starts with the quarterback play of Blake Bortles.

Texans - Have a pretty solid defense, though age might start to be a factor.  They have no clear quarterback and no real strength on offense.

Titans - Have a pretty decent defense and a good run game.  Quarterback is questionable with the big unknown being if he can stay healthy and on the field.  "On paper" they appeared to improve their receiving options.  I would say that this is the "team to beat" for the AFCS Championship.

Colts - Everybody says all of this "Andrew Luck" stuff, and while that is a factor, if they are going to rely on one player to decide their fate, they are already done.  They don't have anything special on defense and their offense is really nothing special either.  I predict that they might surpass the Jaguars as the bottom-dwellers of the division.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Everything is a threat to our team
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA