Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles benched at practice for Henne after 2 pick 6's?

(08-16-2017, 02:39 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 05:48 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: Would anyone do Hurns and Bortles for Alex Smith ?

Bortles has the potential to be better than Alex Smith provided they can keep his arm healthy.

Good god based on what? Because his stats? You do realize his YPA and accuracy is just abysmal. I'd be willing to say he is out the league in 2 years like Gabs. Heck Smith ain't no franchise QB but he is good enough to win a ring, and compared to Borts who the heck are we kidding here lol. Who wouldn't take Smith over Bortles and what reason would you have for taking Bortles? lol Thats a joke! We stuck for the year with Borts like it or not, and it might actually land us Darnold so weather the storm boys.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-16-2017, 03:58 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 02:39 AM)Jags02 Wrote:  Bortles has the potential to be better than Alex Smith provided they can keep his arm healthy.

Good god based on what? Because his stats? You do realize his YPA and accuracy is just abysmal. I'd be willing to say he is out the league in 2 years like Gabs. Heck Smith ain't no franchise QB but he is good enough to win a ring, and compared to Borts who the heck are we kidding here lol. Who wouldn't take Smith over Bortles and what reason would you have for taking Bortles? lol Thats a joke! We stuck for the year with Borts like it or not, and it might actually land us Darnold so weather the storm boys.

Smith hit his ceiling years ago, and it's not that high. By saying Bortles has the potential to be even better, I'm merely saying that Borltes has a higher ceiling. Bortles is 8 years young than Smith. He hasn't yet reached his ceiling, but we saw a glimpse of what it can be back in 2015.
'02

(08-16-2017, 03:58 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 02:39 AM)Jags02 Wrote:  Bortles has the potential to be better than Alex Smith provided they can keep his arm healthy.

You can't honestly believe that. The Chiefs have had one of the top rated defenses over the past few years and a solid run game, yet he hasn't led them to a ring. In fact, they just traded up 17 spots in round one to draft his replacement, Pat Mahomes. That doesn't show me that they believe he can win a ring and they are a heck of a lot closer as a team than we are. If we were to bring him to Jacksonville, it would be a disaster.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 08:59 AM by keeper88.)

(08-16-2017, 04:30 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 03:58 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Good god based on what? Because his stats? You do realize his YPA and accuracy is just abysmal. I'd be willing to say he is out the league in 2 years like Gabs. Heck Smith ain't no franchise QB but he is good enough to win a ring, and compared to Borts who the heck are we kidding here lol. Who wouldn't take Smith over Bortles and what reason would you have for taking Bortles? lol Thats a joke! We stuck for the year with Borts like it or not, and it might actually land us Darnold so weather the storm boys.

Smith hit his ceiling years ago, and it's not that high. By saying Bortles has the potential to be even better, I'm merely saying that Borltes has a higher ceiling. Bortles is 8 years young than Smith. He hasn't yet reached his ceiling, but we saw a glimpse of what it can be back in 2015.

This Bortles "potential" you refer to, what is it based on?  His size/look, age, or something else?  I don't see, and have NEVER seen, anything in his pure throwing ability (yes, the 2015 flawed statistical argument included) that gives me much hope.  He's generally not very accurate, throws a wobbly ball, with horrible mechanics (not just slightly off) that he is trying to overcome.  This thought that you can somehow transform someone who is not a great pure thrower of a football at this stage into even an average NFL-caliber passer doesn't make sense to me.  Even worse, I've seen no ability to learn how to read NFL defenses -- something you would think could be a bit more on the "coachable" side.  I mean what am I missing?  How can we even be having this discussion at year 4?  It's not Bortles fault, I think he's a good guy in a tough spot (money aside), but he is what he is... Dave should hang for this mess, it was a ridiculous stretch.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 09:20 AM by David4499.)

(08-16-2017, 08:28 AM)keeper88 Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 04:30 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Smith hit his ceiling years ago, and it's not that high. By saying Bortles has the potential to be even better, I'm merely saying that Borltes has a higher ceiling. Bortles is 8 years young than Smith. He hasn't yet reached his ceiling, but we saw a glimpse of what it can be back in 2015.

This Bortles "potential" you refer to, what is it based on?  His size/look, age, or something else?  I don't see, and have NEVER seen, anything in his pure throwing ability (yes, the 2015 flawed statistical argument included) that gives me much hope.  He's generally not very accurate, throws a wobbly ball, with horrible mechanics (not just slightly off) that he is trying to overcome.  This thought that you can somehow transform someone who is not a great pure thrower of a football at this stage into even an average NFL-caliber passer doesn't make sense to me.  Even worse, I've seen no ability to learn how to read NFL defenses -- something you would think could be a bit more on the "coachable" side.  I mean what am I missing?  How can we even be having this discussion at year 4?  It's not Bortles fault, I think he's a good guy in a tough spot (money aside), but he is what he is... Dave should hang for this mess, it was a ridiculous stretch.

I agree. There is no way he's going to miraculously transform into a great passer. Either you throw a good ball or you don't. If his WR at UCF hadn't gotten 5 yards past the defense in one of his last games, Bortles wouldn't even be in the league. He was drafted based on a completed Hail Mary.
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 09:46 AM by UCF Knight.)

(08-14-2017, 12:30 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: The fact that this is even a conversation tells you everything you need to know about Bortles.

If you are not head and shoulders above Henne, then you are trash. There is no middleground.

In all honesty, the fact that anyone is comparing the two at this point is trash.  Bortles is night and day from anything Henne has to offer.  He actually throws it down field, he can actually run with the football and make plays, he can actually be dynamic. 

Henne makes the same mistakes as Bortles while doing half of the good things and people are dumb enough to want him to start because they've forgotten what he looked like when he did start.

(08-16-2017, 07:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 03:58 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Good god based on what? Because his stats? You do realize his YPA and accuracy is just abysmal. I'd be willing to say he is out the league in 2 years like Gabs. Heck Smith ain't no franchise QB but he is good enough to win a ring, and compared to Borts who the heck are we kidding here lol. Who wouldn't take Smith over Bortles and what reason would you have for taking Bortles? lol Thats a joke! We stuck for the year with Borts like it or not, and it might actually land us Darnold so weather the storm boys.

You can't honestly believe that. The Chiefs have had one of the top rated defenses over the past few years and a solid run game, yet he hasn't led them to a ring. In fact, they just traded up 17 spots in round one to draft his replacement, Pat Mahomes. That doesn't show me that they believe he can win a ring and they are a heck of a lot closer as a team than we are. If we were to bring him to Jacksonville, it would be a disaster.

For a guy that has The O Line Matters as his username, do you know what Blake has had to work with as an O Line?  How about that running game?

Teams knew we had nothing, they knew they could mix up coverages and absolutely destroy him the last couple years.

Blake can improve simply by throwing less interceptions which he did the final two games under Marrone, he threw 0.  If he can drop his total number dramatically then the team will have a pretty good year.  That alone will make him a much better quarterback.  Is there really a discussion?

(08-16-2017, 04:30 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Smith hit his ceiling years ago, and it's not that high. By saying Bortles has the potential to be even better, I'm merely saying that Borltes has a higher ceiling. Bortles is 8 years young than Smith. He hasn't yet reached his ceiling, but we saw a glimpse of what it can be back in 2015.

How in the world is his TD count from 2015 flawed? Did you watch him play? Those weren't garbage time TDs. Blake earned those TDs while keeping the Jaguars in games and placing them in position to win a few if only the defense did their job.
'02

(08-16-2017, 09:38 AM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 12:30 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: The fact that this is even a conversation tells you everything you need to know about Bortles.

If you are not head and shoulders above Henne, then you are trash. There is no middleground.

In all honesty, the fact that anyone is comparing the two at this point is trash.  Bortles is night and day from anything Henne has to offer.  He actually throws it down field, he can actually run with the football and make plays, he can actually be dynamic. 

Henne makes the same mistakes as Bortles while doing half of the good things and people are dumb enough to want him to start because they've forgotten what he looked like when he did start.

(08-16-2017, 07:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You can't honestly believe that. The Chiefs have had one of the top rated defenses over the past few years and a solid run game, yet he hasn't led them to a ring. In fact, they just traded up 17 spots in round one to draft his replacement, Pat Mahomes. That doesn't show me that they believe he can win a ring and they are a heck of a lot closer as a team than we are. If we were to bring him to Jacksonville, it would be a disaster.

For a guy that has The O Line Matters as his username, do you know what Blake has had to work with as an O Line?  How about that running game?

Teams knew we had nothing, they knew they could mix up coverages and absolutely destroy him the last couple years.

Blake can improve simply by throwing less interceptions which he did the final two games under Marrone, he threw 0.  If he can drop his total number dramatically then the team will have a pretty good year.  That alone will make him a much better quarterback.  Is there really a discussion?

No, there isn't, which is why I was arguing against trading for Alex Smith. I think I made this pretty clear.

(08-16-2017, 09:38 AM)UCF Knight Wrote:

Though I don't see Henne as any worse than Bortles at this point (and arguably a better passer), I don't want Henne, I don't want Allen, but I also don't want the guy who frequently just lobs it down field for a jump ball (if even close enough for that) as for what one otherwise says is downfield passing.  And make no mistake, most of 2015's stats were just that, I saw it and said it then --- this isn't Monday morning qb'ing, he NEVER passed the eye test when it came to the skillset of throwing the football.  Bortles does NOT throw the ball well by NFL standards with any consistency whatsoever, and does not make good decisions, a lethal combination that we've been living with.  So I'd argue that Bortles isn't "night and day" better than ANY qb on any NFL roster today.  And these toxic traits aren't getting better, they actually seem to be getting worse if anything.  So we're still stuck in the ditch right now, which is exactly where I was afraid we would be.  This remains on Dave, and I can't believe Coughlin went along with it frankly without attempting to bring someone in at least as a "plan B".  Einstein's definition of insanity played out perfectly by an NFL football team.  Can we not get out of this cycle??

I have to say, I'm afraid you are closer to being correct at this point. Its getting harder and harder to defend him. I think theirs a lot of hoping and wising (my self included) that hes the guy. But If I'm being honest he set the stage for all the criticism hes getting with that first 5 int practice. It's snowballing from there.Even though his mixed in some really good practices. I think his reputation is hurting him and he's not doing so much to change that perception. Who knows maybe he lights it up on Thursday on ESPN and things will look better.
Go Jags!

Are they wearing the Mustard uniforms Thursday?
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Jalen Ramsey just liked an article on Twitter that said 6 quarterbacks that should replace Bortles.

Lol, everyone losing faith.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 07:50 PM by RicoTx.)

Do you have a life? You truly make me want to puke.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-16-2017, 07:02 PM)BklynJag Wrote: Jalen Ramsey just liked an article on Twitter that said 6 quarterbacks that should replace Bortles.

Derp Derp

"I learned how to cut and paste today without eating the glue"

Derp Derp.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I'm still on the Blake Bus, but I'm going to call for my stop if he begins throwing picks and is horribly inconsistent in the REGULAR season.

Not sure why some people expect some miraculous turnaround. Bortles is who he is. He's an inaccurate QB that has a difficult time throwing the football. He's got some "gamer" in him which allows him to extend plays and connect on some big chunk plays, but he's never going to be a good NFL quarterback. Take an opportunistic defense and he's going to throw his shade of interceptions. He's going to be in the bottom 5 in turnovers this year (again) and we won't win more than 5 games if he's our starting qb.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(08-16-2017, 07:29 PM)Rico Wrote: Do you have a life? You truly make me want to puke.

(08-16-2017, 07:40 PM)FBT Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 07:02 PM)BklynJag Wrote: Jalen Ramsey just liked an article on Twitter that said 6 quarterbacks that should replace Bortles.

Derp Derp

Derp Derp.

Wow, someone is butt hurt. 

Nice input.

(08-16-2017, 08:19 PM)BklynJag Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 07:29 PM)Rico Wrote: Do you have a life? You truly make me want to puke.

(08-16-2017, 07:40 PM)FBT Wrote: Derp Derp

Derp Derp.

Nice input.

Here's some 'butt hurt' for you clown.  If it was Ramsey, I have less respect for him than you.  And that is a pretty minute amount of respect.  You don't air your grievances in public and I highly doubt Coughlin would put up with it since his mantra is 'team first'.

Secondly, you lol at it 'falling apart'.  What fan of a team would find that humorous? I mean, I know you're not really a fan but you don't have to go out on a limb to prove it.

You just seem to revel in the negative, and it's truly pathetic.  You continually post crap that's completely out of context or half quotes to support your need.

It's truly, truly, sad.

Have a lovely evening.  Or would it be better for you if I sad to have a crappy evening?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-16-2017, 08:19 PM)BklynJag Wrote:

(08-16-2017, 07:40 PM)FBT Wrote: Derp Derp

Derp Derp.

Nice input.

Not really I think he sees a grown man like you is acting very childish. As far as Jalen Ramsey tell him to get his butt healthy first and shake out the gay rumors. Lol.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(08-16-2017, 08:34 PM)Rico Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 08:19 PM)BklynJag Wrote: Wow, someone is butt hurt. 

Nice input.

Here's some 'butt hurt' for you clown.  If it was Ramsey, I have less respect for him than you.  And that is a pretty minute amount of respect.  You don't air your grievances in public and I highly doubt Coughlin would put up with it since his mantra is 'team first'.

Secondly, you lol at it 'falling apart'.  What fan of a team would find that humorous? I mean, I know you're not really a fan but you don't have to go out on a limb to prove it.

You just seem to revel in the negative, and it's truly pathetic.  You continually post crap that's completely out of context or half quotes to support your need.

It's truly, truly, sad.

Have a lovely evening.  Or would it be better for you if I sad to have a crappy evening?

It was Ramsey. It was his official Twitter account. I don't revel in the negative but you act like this team has given us anything positive to say. It's the same old thing with this team. 

It's a message board where fans can let out their anger. If you can't handle negative things about the team, that's on you.