Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles benched at practice for Henne after 2 pick 6's?

Forget the INTs. We need to look at the bigger picture...

Marrone on Monday said Bortles was removed from practice because he appeared to have a tired arm. “I might have misspoke when I said, ‘Pitch count,’’’ Marrone said. “We do monitor it. I went back and looked at it. His arm looked tired. Rather than push him knowing he was going to get all the reps that we needed for these next couple of days, I just said, ‘Hey …’ It was my decision. He said, ‘Hey, I’m good. I can go.’ I said, ‘Hey, let’s just be smart.’’’

It's great to see Marrone recognize this and to take action by limiting Blake's reps. I've long been saying that doing as much may be key to Blake's arm lasting an entire season. Remember, Blake's are fatigued near the end of his rookie campaign, and the arm fatigue seemed to return early on this past season. Marrone recognizing this in camp and allowing Blake's arm to rest may be just what it takes for him to get over this issue. They'll need to constantly minitor him even if this does mean using a "pitch count" which I suspect is what Marrone was eluding to even though he's admitting they didn't actually use a pitch count this time. 
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-14-2017, 09:08 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Forget the INTs. We need to look at the bigger picture...

Marrone on Monday said Bortles was removed from practice because he appeared to have a tired arm. “I might have misspoke when I said, ‘Pitch count,’’’ Marrone said. “We do monitor it. I went back and looked at it. His arm looked tired. Rather than push him knowing he was going to get all the reps that we needed for these next couple of days, I just said, ‘Hey …’ It was my decision. He said, ‘Hey, I’m good. I can go.’ I said, ‘Hey, let’s just be smart.’’’

It's great to see Marrone recognize this and to take action by limiting Blake's reps. I've long been saying that doing as much may be key to Blake's arm lasting an entire season. Remember, Blake's are fatigued near the end of his rookie campaign, and the arm fatigue seemed to return early on this past season. Marrone recognizing this in camp and allowing Blake's arm to rest may be just what it takes for him to get over this issue. They'll need to constantly minitor him even if this does mean using a "pitch count" which I suspect is what Marrone was eluding to even though he's admitting they didn't actually use a pitch count this time. 

The whole thing is absurd. From what I read Bortles continued to practice for quite a while after he threw his interceptions before the coaches gave him a break. If that's the case then it's ridiculous to call it a benching, or to even try to make some sort of connection.

(08-14-2017, 09:28 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 09:08 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Forget the INTs. We need to look at the bigger picture...

The whole thing is absurd. From what I read Bortles continued to practice for quite a while after he threw his interceptions before the coaches gave him a break. If that's the case then it's ridiculous to call it a benching, or to even try to make some sort of connection.

Watch the clips of Bortles throwing from the latest "Zone Blitz" video. His passes kept sinking and the wobble was as severe as ever. I think his arm was getting weak, and that Marrone recognized as much. It wasn't as much as a benching for performance as much as it was a health issue, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blake yanked during the season for the same reason if need be. If he starts throwing like that, he's gotta sit until he gets his strength back.

Probably the saddest part in all of this is that we must resort to Henne if Blake's arm goes out, but I will admit that Henne is throwing some nice looking spirals.

(08-14-2017, 08:57 PM)wg171 Wrote: How much is Blake's 5th year option?

Here's a tweet from spotrac...

QB Blake Bortles' estimated $19.053M 5th-year option w/ the #Jaguars will not become fully guaranteed until the 1st league day of 2018.
'02

When Henne is 'on', he's on. The problem with Henne is he's wildly inconsistent. He can drive the ball endzone to endzone in 8 plays, then come out in the next possession and look completely like, well, a backup. Henne is not the answer. Wouldn't it be nice if Brandon Allen was serendipity? But he's not. Like Vic used to say, help is not on the way. We run what we brung and hope to salvage an improved season. There's enough talent on the roster for six, maybe seven, wins. When the draft comes along we pick up another QB and other needed positions.

Steel yourselves, Jaguars fans. The struggle continues. Accept it.

Kaepernick's out there. He's not great, maybe not even good, but he's certainly no worse.

Just sayin'.

(08-14-2017, 09:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 09:28 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: The whole thing is absurd. From what I read Bortles continued to practice for quite a while after he threw his interceptions before the coaches gave him a break. If that's the case then it's ridiculous to call it a benching, or to even try to make some sort of connection.

Watch the clips of Bortles throwing from the latest "Zone Blitz" video. His passes kept sinking and the wobble was as severe as ever. I think his arm was getting weak, and that Marrone recognized as much. It wasn't as much as a benching for performance as much as it was a health issue, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blake yanked during the season for the same reason if need be. If he starts throwing like that, he's gotta sit until he gets his strength back.

Probably the saddest part in all of this is that we must resort to Henne if Blake's arm goes out, but I will admit that Henne is throwing some nice looking spirals. 

If that is a point to give him rest, I imagine they'd start implementing a day off during the week rather than having to resort to not letting him play that week.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-14-2017, 09:48 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: When Henne is 'on', he's on. The problem with Henne is he's wildly inconsistent. He can drive the ball endzone to endzone in 8 plays, then come out in the next possession and look completely like, well, a backup. Henne is not the answer. Wouldn't it be nice if Brandon Allen was serendipity? But he's not. Like Vic used to say, help is not on the way. We run what we brung and hope to salvage an improved season. There's enough talent on the roster for six, maybe seven, wins. When the draft comes along we pick up another QB and other needed positions.

Steel yourselves, Jaguars fans. The struggle continues. Accept it.

Agreed. The interesting thing will be which veteran free agent we bring in after the season to compete with the rookie QB for the starting job. If we spend a 1st round pick on a QB, you'd better believe we're not gonna keep Bortles around with that high price tag for his 5th year option. In my opinion, Bortles is gonna need a near MVP type season to avoid us spending a high pick on a QB.

(08-14-2017, 10:11 PM)mvannostran Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 09:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Watch the clips of Bortles throwing from the latest "Zone Blitz" video. His passes kept sinking and the wobble was as severe as ever. I think his arm was getting weak, and that Marrone recognized as much. It wasn't as much as a benching for performance as much as it was a health issue, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blake yanked during the season for the same reason if need be. If he starts throwing like that, he's gotta sit until he gets his strength back.

If that is a point to give him rest, I imagine they'd start implementing a day off during the week rather than having to resort to not letting him play that week.

Ideally, they'll be able to find a routine that works. It's just if they start noticing his arm regressing in a game, it might be best to yank him on the spot. Watching him fight through arm fatigue, and a subsequent arm injury as a result, last season was heart-wrenching. 

'02

Is this a common thing for other quarterbacks though to be fatigued this early before the season even begins.
No Fun

You almost have to hope that Bortles is a gamer, and that will show this year.

Or else he's just done in this league, backup material, maybe worse

My concerns is not with the turnovers, but the fatigued arm... What other QB in their early 20s is having this issue? Its clear Blake is telling the truth when he says he is not a natural passer of the football. The only way you tire out your arm like this so early into camp is a bad throwing motion.. I am so torn on this year, I am so hyped to see us win some games, but I know for a fact we need a QB. Sucks.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 06:46 AM by imtheblkranger.)

(08-15-2017, 12:10 AM)nhiverson Wrote: Is this a common thing for other quarterbacks though to be fatigued this early before the season even begins.

I know Carson Palmer deals with it, and they shut him down a few days already.

(08-15-2017, 03:25 AM)jaglyn Wrote: You almost have to hope that Bortles is a gamer, and that will show this year.

Or else he's just done in this league, backup material, maybe worse

He always did play better than he practiced. And honestly z outside of two days, he's been having a pretty awesome camp so far. He just gets every mistake magnified by 1000 because of his struggles last year.

Also keep in mind, as far as fatigue is concerned, he's throwing the ball 2 or 3 times as often as he would during a game almost every day. Once the season starts, we can probably scale back some of the practice reps a bit.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-15-2017, 12:10 AM)nhiverson Wrote: Is this a common thing for other quarterbacks though to be fatigued this early before the season even begins.

Coughlin would rest Mark Brunell because of "tired arm syndrome" during training camp back in the day.  This is not unusual.  These guys are getting a ton of reps in training camp, more than they'd have to endure during games or regular season practices.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Bortles picking right back up where he left off last season.. Pick 6, Pick 6, Pick 6...
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(08-15-2017, 08:50 AM)David4499 Wrote: Bortles picking right back up where he left off last season.. Pick 6, Pick 6, Pick 6...

Yeah, I guess you've probably lost count of how many pick sixes he's thrown in games so far this season...

(08-15-2017, 08:50 AM)David4499 Wrote: Bortles picking right back up where he left off last season.. Pick 6, Pick 6, Pick 6...

Where he left off? Did you not watch the last two games last year?

12/26/16 - 26 of 38 1 TD O Int
01/01/2017 - 25/39 1TD 0 Int

Dear Diety PLEASE let him pick up right where he left off!!!!!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-15-2017, 09:14 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Where he left off? Did you not watch the last two games last year?

12/26/16 - 26 of 28 1 TD O Int

Actually I didn't.... I had seen enough through 14 games.

(08-15-2017, 09:19 AM)David4499 Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 09:14 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Where he left off? Did you not watch the last two games last year?

12/26/16 - 26 of 28 1 TD O Int

Actually I didn't.... I had seen enough through 14 games.

Bringing the weak sauce to the retorts today.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

FBT, Are you a mod or a critic? Sometime you make good posts, but other times, you just seem to use your podium to denounce comments you find easy to read. Most Jags fans can't read anything more than 5 letter words to begin with, so I dumb it down for them, not you.

(08-15-2017, 09:53 AM)David4499 Wrote: FBT, Are you a mod or a critic? Sometime you make good posts, but other times, you just seem to use your podium to denounce comments you find easy to read. Most Jags fans can't read anything more than 5 letter words to begin with, so I dumb it down for them, not you.

I don't think it's necessary to dumb it down for anyone.  You should be trying to elevate the intellect of the board by challenging those who struggle with words that are not monosyllabic.  I think saying that the majority of this board can't read anything beyond 5 letters is a bit condescending.