Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles benched at practice for Henne after 2 pick 6's?

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2017, 09:37 AM by StitchJones.)

(08-14-2017, 09:22 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 09:14 AM)StitchJones Wrote: Wow...
Look, I understand why so many on the board are ready to move on from Bortles. I also am less than enthusiastic about him at this point. Generally, by the time a professional player is in their third year, you should pretty much know what you've got. If that is true, then we already know what we've got in Bortles and it isn't what we wanted in our 'franchise' quarterback.

Nevertheless... I would caution that wanting to throw him out at this point (prior to seeing him in a 2017 regular season game or two...) is reactionary and premature. Let's at least give him the benefit of doubt and watch him in a couple of regular season games. If he then proves to be an asset for the opponents... then it's time for him to be seated. 

I think that we all know that Chad Henne isn't a guy who's going to take us to the promised land either. Brandon Allen can hand the ball off just as well as Chad and we need to evaluate/develop Allen. If Bortles is benched due to poor performance, then we pretty much know that this season is a wash anyway, so why not get some use out of it and work with Brandon Allen? Chad doesn't need development; he was never intended to do anything here except to fill in (in the event of injury or other mitigating circumstances) for Bortles. If Bortles is taken out, Allen should get the call. Henne should be our last option.

It's simple.  The owner has made it clear it's time to start cobbling wins together, so this season will not become an audition for Allen.  If Bortles is benched, Henne will be the starter regardless of what we know about him.
I understand the need for wins... but I'm disinclined to agree with the decision to put in Henne prior to Allen if that is the case. What Chad Henne brings to the table isn't going to get us many wins... at least not any more than putting a rookie like Allen in will. If Chad is put in, I pretty much see us being committed almost exclusively to the run game. With Allen's demonstrated ability to go down field, the opponents defense would at least have to respect that possibility. With Chad in, they can pretty much 'stack the box' all day and not need to worry too much about Chad burning them deep.

...at least, that's the way I see it; but then again, I'm not a professional coach... just a fan. And after all, our professional coaches have had such a good record here... Tongue

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bortles benched at practice for Henne after 2 pick 6's? - by StitchJones - 08-14-2017, 09:35 AM
It's time to bench Bortles. - by NameRemoved - 08-13-2017, 06:08 PM
RE: It's time to bench Bortles. - by NameRemoved - 08-13-2017, 08:03 PM
RE: It's time to bench Bortles. - by JAXsonVIL - 08-13-2017, 06:13 PM
RE: It's time to bench Bortles. - by ShivanWurm - 08-13-2017, 06:14 PM
RE: It's time to bench Bortles. - by ShivanWurm - 08-13-2017, 06:20 PM
RE: It's time to bench Bortles. - by NameRemoved - 08-13-2017, 06:21 PM
RE: It's time to bench Bortles. - by NameRemoved - 08-13-2017, 06:28 PM
RE: It's time to bench Bortles. - by homebiscuit - 08-13-2017, 06:42 PM
RE: It's time to bench Bortles. - by JaG4LyFe - 08-13-2017, 06:42 PM
RE: It's time to bench Bortles. - by knarnn - 08-13-2017, 06:45 PM
RE: It's time to bench Bortles. - by homebiscuit - 08-13-2017, 06:49 PM
RE: It's time to bench Bortles. - by NameRemoved - 08-13-2017, 06:51 PM