Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Total Solar Eclipse Coming On August 21, 2017***

Hi, Jaguars fans!    Smile  A Total Soilar Eclipse is coming to the US next Monday, August 21. It's path will reportedly run from the Pacific Northwest, to southeast through South Carolina and Georgia.   Wink

http://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Does this make it an ***OFFICIAL*** eclipse now?
Huh

Looks shadowy to me.

I'm getting around 96% totality where I live. Should be cool. I remember one when I was a kid in NY and it was pitch black at like 2pm. I had no idea what was happening lol
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

For those who have never seen a total solar eclipse, it's worth the drive from Jacksonville to South Carolina, even with the predicted very heavy traffic, to be in the path of totality*. You don't need any special equipment to look at a total eclipse. Be sure to get "eclipse glasses" for viewing the partial, but don't use them during totality. 

Check the weather forecast before you leave, and get an early start. The center line of the path goes through Lake Marion, about mile marker 100 in SC on I-95.

* If you have seen one I know you'll be there for this one.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

The path runs through Nebraska near where I live, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

The world is coming to an end. yay

I saw some companies are closing for the event. How often does this thing happen?
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(08-15-2017, 09:40 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: I saw some companies are closing for the event. How often does this thing happen?

The next total eclipse to cross the US will be in 2024 but the last time an eclipse crossed this much of the US (coast to coast) was in 1918.

(08-15-2017, 09:45 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 09:40 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: I saw some companies are closing for the event. How often does this thing happen?

The next total eclipse to cross the US will be in 2024 but the last time an eclipse crossed this much of the US (coast to coast) was in 1918.

Thank you eclipse_bot!

I live in the path, 99.87% eclipse on my deck, a 20 minute drive from total, which I plan to make.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

How do you know the percentage?
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(08-15-2017, 12:09 PM)Browntrouser Wrote: How do you know the percentage?

I use the Smithsonian Solar Eclipse app on my phone, which includes an interactive eclipse map. On my desktop I use the NASA interactive map.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I'm heading north to find Totality. Should be awesome
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

I have one hotel room booked outside of Atlanta, one further southeast in SC. Making my choice between the two tomorrow. I'm becoming concerned that both could be cloud-outs, but I'm leaning towards Georgia as a slightly safer bet.

So, let me ask a stupid question. Why is looking at it worse than looking at the sun on a regular day? Wouldn't a regular day be worse? I keep hearing it'll screw up your camera. But people take photos of the sun all the time. Especially sunrises. Is there something goofy that happens with the light during an eclipse? Or is it because people will be naturally wanting to look at it when people don't naturally look at the sun any other time?

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 06:09 PM by TJBender.)

(08-15-2017, 05:47 PM)Jags Wrote: So, let me ask a stupid question.  Why is looking at it worse than looking at the sun on a regular day?  Wouldn't a regular day be worse?  I keep hearing it'll screw up your camera.  But people take photos of the sun all the time.  Especially sunrises.  Is there something goofy that happens with the light during an eclipse? Or is it because people will be naturally wanting to look at it when people don't naturally look at the sun any other time?

During an eclipse, the sun is more deceptive. Because less of it is showing, it appears less intense, and you're able to stare straight into it without feeling it. The part of the sun that is showing is just as dangerous as the whole thing, though, so you can do serious damage to your eyes without realizing it.

Pointing a camera at the sun with a very quick exposure and a high f-stop then taking one quick photo probably won't fry anything. However, if you're trying to get a picture of the crescent sun, the camera will need to spend more time taking in light to get the shot. Ask any avid photographer what happens when you point a pricey DSLR into the sun and leave the shutter open for 3-4 seconds, then do that again and again and again. You will fry your sensor, either because of heat from the sun's rays or increased voltage while the sensor works to capture the shot.

Good eclipse glasses will protect your eyes, and either a solar or 16-stop ND filter (or a 10-stop stacked with a 6-stop if you're ghetto-fab like me) will make it safe to photograph the sun outside of totality.

Do you think traffic on I95 will be jam packed heading to Charleston,sc and leaving charleston right after the eclipse

(08-15-2017, 08:25 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Do you think traffic on I95 will be jam packed heading to Charleston,sc  and leaving charleston right after the eclipse

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, very yes.

(08-15-2017, 08:28 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 08:25 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Do you think traffic on I95 will be jam packed heading to Charleston,sc  and leaving charleston right after the eclipse

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, very yes.

Dangit, i was thinking of making a run for it monday morning for this once in a lifetine experience