Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: When is Bortles benched?
Never, he's a franchise QB
Before the season opener
After 4 games
Halfway through the season
After 12 games
After the season
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
When is Bortles done?

When will we see Bortles benched and Henne or Allen made the starting QB?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

With Marrone saying Blake has had some horse turd throws and ARob getting caught swearing about Bortles pass today factored in with everything else it seems the walls are already cracking. I don't understand how he's still overthrowing guys this late in the game.

(08-15-2017, 01:16 PM)haveaseat Wrote: With Marrone saying Blake has had some horse turd throws and ARob getting caught swearing about Bortles pass today factored in with everything else it seems the walls are already cracking. I don't understand how he's still overthrowing guys this late in the game.

Agreed...I just don't see Marrone/Coughlin leaving him as the starter if he doesn't perform.  I know Henne and Allen are probably not better options but at some point you have to show the team that substandard performance is not OK.  If anything, you're making you're point for the 2018-19 season (which sucks since we haven't even played 2017-18 yet).

He was done a couple of days ago when the HC coached benched him in practice for throwing INT's in favor of Henne who got reps with the 1's.

For the first time fellas I think Blake is done as a starting QB for the franchise not because he don't have talent but I think the negativity surrounding him and so bad that is it's toxic and to the point of no return. I will be very surprised if he don't get booed Thursday night because I just think the hateful Blake is real and ain't no coming back from it.
[Image: giphy.gif]

He's already done. The front office and some on this board are too blind to see it.

(08-15-2017, 01:13 PM)Jest101 Wrote: When will we see Bortles benched and Henne or Allen made the starting QB?

He's our franchise Qb. He needs to have some improvement though or he'll be on thin ice.

(08-15-2017, 01:42 PM)BklynJag Wrote: He's already done. The front office and some on this board are too blind to see it.

Negativity....relish it!
Huh

I said after the season.

Of course, if he throws 3 picks in a regular season game, including one pick 6, and they are his fault and not something that bounced off a WR's hands, or some other weird reason, he will be done at that time.

I just think Marrone will manage him through the season, not put him in tough spots, rely more on the running game and defense, and he'll make it through the season. Then we'll get another QB for next year.

Contrary to the microscope on every little error, Bortles will be the QB the whole season barring injury. He still gives the best chance of winning out of the group. We'll see if the circle of jerks is still singing their tune once they get the pleasant reminder of what Henne brings in the remaining preseason games. The same tune has been sung every preseason Henne has been here. Apparently, some forget the brief time when Henne was the starter...yuck! Aside from our backups, there is nobody currently on the market that offers any type of advantage over what we have. It is what it is at this moment.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

The answer to this question depends greatly on how much improvement the team gets from the run game.

If bort doesn't improve his passing game the run game will suffer. Teams will stack the box and take their chances with Blake. It's just playing the percentages.
Go Jags!

(08-15-2017, 01:33 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: For the first time fellas I think Blake is done as a starting QB for the franchise not because he don't have talent but I think the negativity surrounding him and so bad that is it's toxic and to the point of no return. I will be very surprised if he don't get booed Thursday night because I just think the hateful Blake is real and ain't no coming back from it.

I agree. No matter how much good he does, any one negative thing (errant pass, int, etc) will be magnified by 10. It's hard to bounce back from that. Bortles days are numbered.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 03:01 PM by Kane.)

(08-15-2017, 01:59 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Contrary to the microscope on every little error, Bortles will be the QB the whole season barring injury. He still gives the best chance of winning out of the group. We'll see if the circle of jerks is still singing their tune once they get the pleasant reminder of what Henne brings in the remaining preseason games. The same tune has been sung every preseason Henne has been here. Apparently, some forget the brief time when Henne was the starter...yuck! Aside from our backups, there is nobody currently on the market that offers any type of advantage over what we have. It is what it is at this moment.

Might have to disagree here...

If he's playing like horse [BLEEP] through the first quarter of the season and we're losing games (especially because of his play) he will be benched to protect from injury and forkin' over 18 million guaranteed because of it.

I want Bortles to succeed. 
I will even accept INTs if Ws are coming anyway....

I do not want Henne to be the starter...

But I don't want this team attached to Bortles beyond this year if he can't pull his head out of his [BLEEP] and start playing better.
That 5th year option was a way for the team to give Bortles their confidence and also protect themselves in case he had a break out type year...
There is no way say after 4 or 5 games, Bortles remains starter if we're sitting at 0-4, 1-3, 1-4.... If Bortles has 2 TDs and 6 INTs in 4 games.... you bench him and move on.

My whole thing is... at that point, you play Allen.. not Henne... but they won't.. they'll play Henne and he'll play just well enough for us to hover around .500 ruining primo draft position lol

EDIT: Answer, half a season... I think Bortles plays well enough for the team to keep giving him chances, but poorly enough staring at 2-6 after 8 he is sat down and someone else takes over.

(08-15-2017, 02:13 PM)Ksimms Wrote: If bort doesn't improve his passing game the run game will suffer. Teams will stack the box and take their chances with Blake. It's just playing the percentages.

I understand how many teams will make such an adjustment. We've seen several teams do it over the past three seasons. 

My point is that the jaguars have made adjustments to their running game that will make it more difficult to succeed in doing this.  It's also important to note that in order for Bortles to force defenses to keep the box honest, he doesn't have to hit Allen Robinson on every pass in practice.  He merely need to find a receiver or two behind the LBs once or twice to change the DC's strategy.  That doesn't require some insurmountable mountain of improvement.  

The Jags running game can work fine with an only moderately improved Bortles. 

His technique and accuracy still aren't great, but they look better right now than they did in September last season. If he carries that into the season he may be just fine.  I'm not one to overreact to a bad practice in August or a twitter-feed full of bashing from the usual suspects.

(08-15-2017, 01:16 PM)haveaseat Wrote: With Marrone saying Blake has had some horse turd throws and ARob getting caught swearing about Bortles pass today factored in with everything else it seems the walls are already cracking. I don't understand how he's still overthrowing guys this late in the game.

A football player swore!?!? Somebody catch me, I'm fainting!

(08-15-2017, 03:21 PM)DragonFury Wrote:

A football player swore!?!? Somebody catch me, I'm fainting!

It's not about him swearing but what he was swearing about.

(08-15-2017, 03:24 PM)haveaseat Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 03:21 PM)DragonFury Wrote: A football player swore!?!? Somebody catch me, I'm fainting!

It's not about him swearing but what he was swearing about.

I've played with some of the best QB's my country has to offer. I've told them off plenty of times for throwing crap passes. Stuff like that is completely inconsequential to whether a QB is good or not.

Sadly I think Blake's days in Jax are numbered. There's so much hatred for him out there. He would need to play at a MVP level some the expectations on him are so high. God forbid he makes any mistake. We could be 15-1 and in that 1 he throws 3 INTs so he's trash again.

The treatment of him this camp basically shows the writing on the wall. Even this morning, Prosser (who's opinion to me is worthless) said how much better Winston was yesterday even after throwing 2 ints to Blake's 1. The fact that Bortles can't have a tipped pass but Winston can throw 2, to me, shows the negative bias Blake gets. For the record, I do think Winston is better, but it's the whole, when someone else throws a pick in practice, "it's just practice" but when Blake does, "well there's classic Blake again!"

Barring an amazing season, he won't be in Jax next year, even if he plays significantly better.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-15-2017, 03:28 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 03:24 PM)haveaseat Wrote: It's not about him swearing but what he was swearing about.

I've played with some of the best QB's my country has to offer. I've told them off plenty of times for throwing crap passes. Stuff like that is completely inconsequential to whether a QB is good or not.

Regarding the part in bold...  I too played "pee wee" football in my younger days.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.