Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: When is Bortles benched?
Never, he's a franchise QB
Before the season opener
After 4 games
Halfway through the season
After 12 games
After the season
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
When is Bortles done?

How do ya like me now

[Image: colin-kaepernick-200x250.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-15-2017, 03:38 PM)mvannostran Wrote: Sadly I think Blake's days in Jax are numbered. There's so much hatred for him out there. He would need to play at a MVP level some the expectations on him are so high. God forbid he makes any mistake. We could be 15-1 and in that 1 he throws 3 INTs so he's trash again.

The treatment of him this camp basically shows the writing on the wall. Even this morning, Prosser (who's opinion to me is worthless) said how much better Winston was yesterday even after throwing 2 ints to Blake's 1. The fact that Bortles can't have a tipped pass but Winston can throw 2, to me, shows the negative bias Blake gets. For the record, I do think Winston is better, but it's the whole, when someone else throws a pick in practice, "it's just practice" but when Blake does, "well there's classic Blake again!"

Barring an amazing season, he won't be in Jax next year, even if he plays significantly better.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Most of the hate has been bleeding over from certain "twits" and their "twitter feeds".  Looking at actual interviews and real articles seems to tell a whole different story.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

this is a good poll because it really does make one think. based on game 1 i really think this dude is afraid to throw a pass downfield. if that's the case, he's done.

(08-15-2017, 03:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 03:38 PM)mvannostran Wrote: Sadly I think Blake's days in Jax are numbered. There's so much hatred for him out there. He would need to play at a MVP level some the expectations on him are so high. God forbid he makes any mistake. We could be 15-1 and in that 1 he throws 3 INTs so he's trash again.

The treatment of him this camp basically shows the writing on the wall. Even this morning, Prosser (who's opinion to me is worthless) said how much better Winston was yesterday even after throwing 2 ints to Blake's 1. The fact that Bortles can't have a tipped pass but Winston can throw 2, to me, shows the negative bias Blake gets. For the record, I do think Winston is better, but it's the whole, when someone else throws a pick in practice, "it's just practice" but when Blake does, "well there's classic Blake again!"

Barring an amazing season, he won't be in Jax next year, even if he plays significantly better.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Most of the hate has been bleeding over from certain "twits" and their "twitter feeds".  Looking at actual interviews and real articles seems to tell a whole different story.

You know I really hope that's the case. Maybe I'm just following too much of the same regurgitated crap. 

I'm not reading too much into ARob's comments. Players talk like that all the time to each other. I'd hate to see Bortles make real strides and look pretty good, only to get kicked to the curb. He has a habit of making some plays where you say "wow, that was absolutely incredible" only to follow it up with "[BLEEP] was that?!" The talent is there.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-15-2017, 03:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 02:13 PM)Ksimms Wrote: If bort doesn't improve his passing game the run game will suffer. Teams will stack the box and take their chances with Blake. It's just playing the percentages.

I understand how many teams will make such an adjustment. We've seen several teams do it over the past three seasons. 

My point is that the jaguars have made adjustments to their running game that will make it more difficult to succeed in doing this.  It's also important to note that in order for Bortles to force defenses to keep the box honest, he doesn't have to hit Allen Robinson on every pass in practice.  He merely need to find a receiver or two behind the LBs once or twice to change the DC's strategy.  That doesn't require some insurmountable mountain of improvement.  

The Jags running game can work fine with an only moderately improved Bortles. 

His technique and accuracy still aren't great, but they look better right now than they did in September last season. If he carries that into the season he may be just fine.  I'm not one to overreact to a bad practice in August or a twitter-feed full of bashing from the usual suspects.

Here's to hoping he can consistently be better. That would be so huge all the way around. We're getting closer to actually fielding a true competitive team.
Go Jags!

(08-15-2017, 04:01 PM)mvannostran Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 03:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Most of the hate has been bleeding over from certain "twits" and their "twitter feeds".  Looking at actual interviews and real articles seems to tell a whole different story.

You know I really hope that's the case. Maybe I'm just following too much of the same regurgitated crap. 

I'm not reading too much into ARob's comments. Players talk like that all the time to each other. I'd hate to see Bortles make real strides and look pretty good, only to get kicked to the curb. He has a habit of making some plays where you say "wow, that was absolutely incredible" only to follow it up with "[BLEEP] was that?!" The talent is there.

Exactly though.  As long as he limits and/or eliminates the latter plays in your description he'll be fine.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-15-2017, 03:49 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 03:28 PM)DragonFury Wrote: I've played with some of the best QB's my country has to offer. I've told them off plenty of times for throwing crap passes. Stuff like that is completely inconsequential to whether a QB is good or not.

Regarding the part in bold...  I too played "pee wee" football in my younger days.

Hey now, sometimes we completed as much as 50% of our passes in a game!

If the "rumors" have any foundation in fact, this thing will get sorted out sooner rather than later. If his teammates are getting frustrated with his inconsistency, it's going to spark a conversation about who the starting QB will be on this team. They should be careful what they wish for if they start crying for Henne.

If a player did indeed contact a reporter to say the players want Henne, there's a ton of bricks stacked up nice an neatly in TCs office that are just waiting to be dropped on said player.

If Bortles doesn't right the ship, go with Henne. Simple as that. With the level of talent surrounding him, maybe this becomes Henne's time to shine. I don't want to say it can't be any worse, but there's always a new low to set. I still hope that Bortles figures this thing out and that what we're hearing about in practice isn't what translates to the games. If it does, he'll be benched pretty quickly. There's no loyalty to him from TC or Marrone to be concerned about.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Bortles will be done when they find a clear upgrade to him

(08-15-2017, 05:31 PM)wrong_box Wrote: Bortles will be done when they find a clear upgrade to him

But...that's not an option.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-15-2017, 05:37 PM)FBT Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 05:31 PM)wrong_box Wrote: Bortles will be done when they find a clear upgrade to him

But...that's not an option.

Oh yeah, I guess you're right...well that's what it's going to be...I said after the season because they will draft a new QB next spring or bring one in thru FA and then there will be a clear upgrade..

I refuse to vote in this bs poll. Just let the guy play. If he fails, then we'll move on and pick a qb in the first round and bolster our OL. The QB class is a deep one.

(08-15-2017, 01:33 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: For the first time fellas I think Blake is done as a starting QB for the franchise not because he don't have talent but I think the negativity surrounding him and so bad that is it's toxic and to the point of no return. I will be very surprised if he don't get booed Thursday night because I just think the hateful Blake is real and ain't no coming back from it.
At a certain point you have to start lowering talent levels based on performance. I don't think Bortles is a talented QB nor do I think he has enough talent to overcome organisational failure.  

He's physically talented in the sense that he fits the stereotype of Big, tall white QB who can make plays with his legs and throw deep.  But almost every other aspect of the game he struggles with. The game doesn't come easy to him.

If the team is winning games, he's staying put.

Regards.................the Chiefjag

After the season. Then we will draft a franchise QB.

So much "Hatred out there" so this is exactly not good "unfit to be humans" are chanting every chance they get

Bortles is done when I say he's done..

He's done..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017, 08:06 PM by 13Coronas.)

To those "unfit to be humans"  that enjoy chanting to  replace Bortles at every chance    Banana , with (blank) whatever it is
why not start a sign your name page and write in your choice for QB 
so we will have a tally Cool and may be a winner or winners Cool Cool  for  having selected the winning choice to replace the QB.
but do remember that your chant now may win the argument, but tank the season Wallbash

(08-15-2017, 03:49 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: How do ya like me now

[Image: colin-kaepernick-200x250.jpg]

I don't.

Kaepernick is not the quality of character I want leading our team. And by that I mean not even close. Brandon Allen has had a year to sit back and watch. The more reps he takes the better he's looking. Henne hit his ceiling already and I am tired of his batted passes.
No pain, no gain.