Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
In defense of Blake Bortles

(08-17-2017, 09:28 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Folks, it's really simple. To not give the guy 3-5 games into the regular season with all the new parts in place makes zero football sense. Barring a complete meltdown in all his pre season work there is no better option. I personally believe he will do well. He has put in the work.

To deny the entirety of the suckness that has surrounded this team and lay it all on BB5 simply makes little to no sense IMO. Those claiming watching the last three years as their reasoning certainly have then also watched the complete failure on the field at all position groups. Correct?

Yes, there is certainly blame to go around.  But to ignore that we have a qb that does not throw a football at the NFL caliber with consistent accuracy that is absolutely required may be a state of denial.  That's ignoring other issues, like reading NFL defenses well, to give him credit for being under a poor coaching regime since day 1.  I'm tired of groundhogs day, but we have no choice but to give him some games at this point, thanks to not having a plan B option created (inexplicably, imho).

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-17-2017, 09:43 AM)keeper88 Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 09:28 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Folks, it's really simple. To not give the guy 3-5 games into the regular season with all the new parts in place makes zero football sense. Barring a complete meltdown in all his pre season work there is no better option. I personally believe he will do well. He has put in the work.

To deny the entirety of the suckness that has surrounded this team and lay it all on BB5 simply makes little to no sense IMO. Those claiming watching the last three years as their reasoning certainly have then also watched the complete failure on the field at all position groups. Correct?

Yes, there is certainly blame to go around.  But to ignore that we have a qb that does not throw a football at the NFL caliber with consistent accuracy that is absolutely required may be a state of denial.  That's ignoring other issues, like reading NFL defenses well, to give him credit for being under a poor coaching regime since day 1.  I'm tired of groundhogs day, but we have no choice but to give him some games at this point, thanks to not having a plan B option created (inexplicably, imho).
I thought NFL Caliber actually meant competing at an NFL level.  Throwing over 4k yards and 30 plus touchdowns its high schoolish i guess.  The man was on the rise just 2 years ago and everyone was excited for the promise of success with less turnovers.  Now he isn't NFL Caliber.....Reaching are we?
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 10:27 AM by SeldomRite.)

(08-17-2017, 10:00 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 09:43 AM)keeper88 Wrote: Yes, there is certainly blame to go around.  But to ignore that we have a qb that does not throw a football at the NFL caliber with consistent accuracy that is absolutely required may be a state of denial.  That's ignoring other issues, like reading NFL defenses well, to give him credit for being under a poor coaching regime since day 1.  I'm tired of groundhogs day, but we have no choice but to give him some games at this point, thanks to not having a plan B option created (inexplicably, imho).
I thought NFL Caliber actually meant competing at an NFL level.  Throwing over 4k yards and 30 plus touchdowns its high schoolish i guess.  The man was on the rise just 2 years ago and everyone was excited for the promise of success with less turnovers.  Now he isn't NFL Caliber.....Reaching are we?

Not even two years ago, just last year the whole division was in fear of what the Jaguars were putting together and what the team would be with competent coaching.

One year later and the bib brigade can't stop screaming and ranting about how the Jaguars have to get rid of Bortles now, can't even stand the idea of the guy getting a chance, it seems.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 11:16 AM by keeper88.)

(08-17-2017, 10:00 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 09:43 AM)keeper88 Wrote: Yes, there is certainly blame to go around.  But to ignore that we have a qb that does not throw a football at the NFL caliber with consistent accuracy that is absolutely required may be a state of denial.  That's ignoring other issues, like reading NFL defenses well, to give him credit for being under a poor coaching regime since day 1.  I'm tired of groundhogs day, but we have no choice but to give him some games at this point, thanks to not having a plan B option created (inexplicably, imho).
No, we aren't reaching.  And "everyone" didn't include me, I wanted to believe (even bought #5 jerseys for me and some family, lol) and wanted him to be the guy, but my eyes told me a different story all along and I'm on record as such. He was not a good passer in 2015, and still isn't.  I thought we were trying not to have the "garbage" debate again, but 2015 WAS a lot of garbage and fluky jump ball plays.  Blake knows it himself, he is not a natural thrower of the football, and anyone who watches him objectively can see that... Groundhogs Day, here we come...

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 12:13 PM by imtheblkranger. Edit Reason: Good Lord spelling.... )

Serious question, if Blake's stats next year were around 19-20 tds and around 12 INTs, how would you feel?
Because that's what Blake would have been had he thrown the ball only 500 times at his same percentages from last year.
Take into account that throwing less and a better run game would probably result in higher percentage throws and better opportunities, he probably would increase his to rate and lower the INT rate just by being more balanced.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

When you say/hear/read a word over and over and over again it starts to lose meaning, it doesn't look right and you actually question whether it's actually a real word.

Over the off/pre-season 'Bortles' has become one of those words.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

I'm pretty much agreed with you on this; benching Bortles before the season has actually even started is premature, to say the least. Let's see him in action in a couple of real games this season before drawing any final conclusions. After all, do we really have anyone that would actually be a better choice at qb on our roster? Henne? Not. Allen? It doesn't look that way.

It has been said that by the time a qb is in his third year you should pretty much know what you've got. Well, this will be Bortles forth season... however, keep in mind that given the past 'coaching' situation and the absolutely abysmal state that our offensive line (and defense) had been in, it would have been challenging for any quarterback to look good.

Now... having said this, it does not change the fact that Bortles was drafted with poor passing technique. Bortles himself has said that he is not a 'natural' passer. The gravity of this fact can not be overstated. Bortles may never be particularly reliable as a passer; he is always going to have the tendency to lapse back into poor technique which will require constant work to overcome just to be an average NFL passer. The passing stats he was able to gain early on had far more to due with what is commonly referred to as 'garbage time' stats padding, and the fact that at that time both the Allens were fairly low on the radar screen of our opponents.

The one truly meaningful stat against Bortles is that he has not led this team to have any semblance of a winning season yet. Nevertheless, even this is not completely Bortles fault; in this area, the whole team from top to bottom has been at fault. Still, the odes lies with the quarterback as no other player on the field has so much influence over the success or failure of a team, both on offense and defense. By going consecutive 'three and outs' an offense will kill its own defense... and if you can't put more points on the board than the other team before the end of 60 minutes you lose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Bortles sympathizer by any means; but by the same token, neither do I find it wise to demand change at the qb position just for the sake of change. Henne has proven he isn't the guy. Remember the woe and cry to pull Henne and put in Bortles only a few season ago? That's right. Allen hasn't done enough to sway the coaches thinking about him either apparently.

So we sink or swim with Bortles this season. It's pretty cut 'n dry. Next season, if we do badly enough this season, we may have a shot at someone better at the qb position. But until then, it is what it is. Let's hope for the best.

You can sink or swim with BB5INT, but i'm grabbing a life raft. Henne is a much better option. He gives the team a veteran QB with lots of experience. When Henne was starting... the talent on this team was the worst in the league... I would like to see what a veteran can do with better players around him. I've seen what inexperience can do with talent around him. Not impressed.
I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(08-17-2017, 11:25 AM)mvannostran Wrote: Serious question, if Blake's stays next year we're around 19-20 tds and around 12 INTs, how would you feel?
Because that's what Blake would have been had he thrown the ball only 500 times at his same percentages from last year.
Take into account that throwing less and a better run game would probably result in higher percentage throws and better opportunities, he probably would increase his to rate and lower the INT rate just by being more balanced.

If Blake achieves those numbers as part of a don't screw it up game manager type plan, and those INTs aren't a bunch of game killing P6s, and if we can be a playoff contending team under such plan (not just some meaningless stats compiled by a bottom feeding 3-win team in garbage scenarios), I don't like the plan but I'd have to be okay with it -- for now.  I would note that the margin for error in that plan is pretty slim, especially if you want to graduate to Super Bowl contender, which I think is still our goal some day...  It is much easier to get there with an elite QB that can bail you out versus a don't screw it up game manager, which is increasingly harder in today's NFL though not impossible (see Denver Broncos under Manning, who would qualify as a much better game manager than Bortles btw...).

All the above said, a couple serious questions back at you --- is that our goal for our QB position, long term (a don't screw it up game manager)?   Do you think Bortles is a good pure thrower of the football (meaning can consistently throw a football with the requisite velocity and accuracy needed to be a good, or heaven forbid great, NFL QB)?

(08-17-2017, 11:47 AM)David4499 Wrote: You can sink or swim with BB5INT, but i'm grabbing a life raft. Henne is a much better option. He gives the team a veteran QB with lots of experience. When Henne was starting... the talent on this team was the worst in the league... I would like to see what a veteran can do with better players around him. I've seen what inexperience can do with talent around him. Not impressed.

Did you actually type that with a straight face? Confused
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-17-2017, 12:02 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 11:47 AM)David4499 Wrote: You can sink or swim with BB5INT, but i'm grabbing a life raft. Henne is a much better option. He gives the team a veteran QB with lots of experience. When Henne was starting... the talent on this team was the worst in the league... I would like to see what a veteran can do with better players around him. I've seen what inexperience can do with talent around him. Not impressed.

Did you actually type that with a straight face? Confused

Does your comment have anything to do with football or QB's, or are you just a TROLL looking for someone to hate on?

Well we have some moronic fan on facebook comment section on ESPN who said he would rather have Blaine Gabbert over Bortles, lol Gabbert the guy who in his final year with the Jags throw 1 td and 7 ints, 48% completion a 4.4 QBR and 36 passer rating, crazy thing is somebody liked his post.

Do people really dont remember how awful Gabbert was, people cry about Blake but he is miles better then what we had before.
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(08-17-2017, 11:49 AM)keeper88 Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 11:25 AM)mvannostran Wrote: Serious question, if Blake's stays next year we're around 19-20 tds and around 12 INTs, how would you feel?

If Blake achieves those numbers as part of a don't screw it up game manager type plan, and those INTs aren't a bunch of game killing P6s, and if we can be a playoff contending team under such plan (not just some meaningless stats compiled by a bottom feeding 3-win team in garbage scenarios), I don't like the plan but I'd have to be okay with it -- for now.  I would note that the margin for error in that plan is pretty slim, especially if you want to graduate to Super Bowl contender, which I think is still our goal some day...  It is much easier to get there with an elite QB that can bail you out versus a don't screw it up game manager, which is increasingly harder in today's NFL though not impossible (see Denver Broncos under Manning, who would qualify as a much better game manager than Bortles btw...).

All the above said, a couple serious questions back at you --- is that our goal for our QB position, long term (a don't screw it up game manager)?   Do you think Bortles is a good pure thrower of the football (meaning can consistently throw a football with the requisite velocity and accuracy needed to be a good, or heaven forbid great, NFL QB)?

As a note to Blake's INTs last year, he had 3 P6s, so by eliminating some INTs overall, we could say that would be maybe 2. Also, we need to remember how many INTs last year were just ridiculous bad luck. Tipped balls, 2 off a foot, etc. So that number is probably a little inflated to begin with.
But no, I would not say those numbers are who I want for our long term answer, but, I also don't believe that's Blake's ceiling either. I think he can maintain a level somewhere between 2015 gunslinger and game manager.
There is definitely cause for concern over Blake's throwing/ball placement consistency. Again though, he's a guy who needs to work on mechanics, I truly believe the combo of Gus and the recommendation by Olson to not work on mechanics last year severely hampered his development. Big Ben, Brees, and Rivers are all examples of QBs who have/had mechanical flaws. Rivers actually throws more P6s than Bortles. I think consistency in his off-season training and proper coaching can really help him take the next step, and I haven't lost faith that he's capable of it. He shows those stretches of brilliance.

I do think it's amazing how mis-construed and exaggerated some of these stories on him get though, specifically the ARob over throw, which XM just said he threw it into the crowd, and the Marrone "horse [BLEEP]" comment.

One other comment, the Ramsey liking an anti-Blake post. Let's play devil's advocate for a minute. Has anyone considered he liked it because he thinks it's ridiculous and that he likes Blake? Instagram doesn't offer a laughing reaction like Facebook does. He very well could have liked it and said "hey Blake, look at this nonsense;" Improbable sure, but not impossible.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 05:14 PM by jrvegeeta.)

Dude...Henne was given the starting job heading into 2014 and LOST IT in the 3rd game against the Colts for bad play. Bortles had his struggles, yes, but that's what happens when you have a coaching staff that didn't even look to help fix his mechanics – Bortles went and got help for that himself after 2014 from Tom House.

Enter 2015 - Bortles makes improvement and has a very good year, finish 1 TD pass shy of being league leader. His INTs went up by one, but that's because he threw more than every QB in the league. Despite that, he did need to continue working on his mechanics. Problem was, former OC Greg Olsen forbad him to go to California and work with Tom House. Instead, he was forced to stay in Jax and was told to try and improve here – which lead to 2016 being a poor season for him. People need to stop trying to ignore what the coaching staff did, or in Bortle's case, what they failed to do – which was help fix his mechanics and push him hard. Gus Bradley, Greg Olsen, and whoever was the QB coach, completely FAILED in the fact that when your QB screws up royally by throwing a pick-six, YOU CHEW HIS @** OUT, NOT GIVE HIM A PAT ON THE BACK.

I don't care WHO you are – you can't improve mechanics without a teacher/coach overseeing it, otherwise you won't know if you are doing it right. Tom Brady, for example, works on his mechanics EVERY YEAR. In fact, the best QBs work with someone on their mechanics in the offseason.

Bortles was finally able to get back to House and work on his mechanics. However, just like anything else that is newly installed, it needs to be put through its paces. That's what training camp is for – getting out the kinks, even if it looks subpar a couple of times. Bortles has to continue getting comfortable enough with his mechanics so that he won't fall into bad habits during the season. It is also on this new coaching staff to put the screws to Bortles if he makes a major mistake. So far, Coach Marrone is doing a far better job doing that in one camp than Bradley did his entire 4 years here.

All of that said, I do agree on this: Bortles has to show good improvement this year. This is not up for debate. If he plays poorly this year, then it's time to move on and likely take a shot at one of the QBs in the 2018 NFL draft.

(08-17-2017, 05:13 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote:

Dude...Henne was given the starting job heading into 2014 and LOST IT in the 3rd game against the Colts for bad play. Bortles had his struggles, yes, but that's what happens when you have a coaching staff that didn't even look to help fix his mechanics – Bortles went and got help for that himself after 2014 from Tom House.

Enter 2015 - Bortles makes improvement and has a very good year, finish 1 TD pass shy of being league leader. His INTs went up by one, but that's because he threw more than every QB in the league. Despite that, he did need to continue working on his mechanics. Problem was, former OC Greg Olsen forbad him to go to California and work with Tom House. Instead, he was forced to stay in Jax and was told to try and improve here – which lead to 2016 being a poor season for him. People need to stop trying to ignore what the coaching staff did, or in Bortle's case, what they failed to do – which was help fix his mechanics and push him hard. Gus Bradley, Greg Olsen, and whoever was the QB coach, completely FAILED in the fact that when your QB screws up royally by throwing a pick-six, YOU CHEW HIS  @** OUT, NOT GIVE HIM A PAT ON THE BACK.

I don't care WHO you are – you can't improve mechanics without a teacher/coach overseeing it, otherwise you won't know if you are doing it right. Tom Brady, for example, works on his mechanics EVERY YEAR. In fact, the best QBs work with someone on their mechanics in the offseason.

Bortles was finally able to get back to House and work on his mechanics. However, just like anything else that is newly installed, it needs to be put through its paces. That's what training camp is for – getting out the kinks, even if it looks subpar a couple of times. Bortles has to continue getting comfortable enough with his mechanics so that he won't fall into bad habits during the season. It is also on this new coaching staff to put the screws to Bortles if he makes a major mistake. So far, Coach Marrone is doing a far better job doing that in one camp than Bradley did his entire 4 years here.

All of that said, I do agree on this: Bortles has to show good improvement this year. This is not up for debate. If he plays poorly this year, then it's time to move on and likely take a shot at one of the QBs in the 2018 NFL draft.

This has got to be the saddest thing I've ever read.... I've never seen such love for such garbage.  Congratulations.. You win the opportunity to carry BB5INT's jock strap next game.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 11:16 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

Wait, do you still have HENNE's strap?  Maybe you were born after 2014 so that's why you think BB5 isn't the best option outside of ONLY Allen....Must be
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 11:18 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

Dude looked like he had potential and racked up big numbers in a lot of garbage time his rookie year. He isn't getting the best help but his throws are just trash. Henne looks competent. Allen looks like he might be the QB of the future? Bortles is in jeopardy of going through the entire preseason without completing any pass more than 5 yards down field.
No pain, no gain.