Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Is The Tom Brady of Garbage Time

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 02:46 PM by TealHammer.)

Blake Bortles is the Tom Brady of Garbage Time

This article is a must read. 

There are a lot of sunshine posters who say (1) Bortles numbers in 2015 prove he's a better QB than he's given credit for and (2) that the Bortles numbers are attributable to junk time padding is a myth. 

This article is pretty definitive on both of these.

Could he turn it around? Sure. But it's worth a read regardless of your opinion on Bortles.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 02:51 PM by ChiefsBerry#29.)

From what I've seen he lacks pocket presence. Soon as a defender is within a lil radius of him he makes bone headed plays. Favre did the same thing, obviously not saying bortles is favre lol

Meh, more parroting of the same ole stuff. Boring IMO.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Clear confirmation bias.

Being down 9 points with 5 minutes left is not garbage time.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 05:50 PM by SeldomRite.)

Hilarious article. Best part is when they noted half of his interceptions come in the first half of games, what an indictment. Also I notice they don't mention his early performance in games is essentially exactly the same as the great one, Andrew luck.

Still, it's more fodder for those that hold an irrational hate for the guy.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 03:13 PM by Kane.)

I've always said garbage time is down 2+ scores with less time than tying or winning is achievable. i.e. <4 mins w/ <1 TO

Anything that claims all scores in 4th quarter, or all scores in 2nd half when down by 3 scores, or anything in a 2 minute drill while down by 10 or less.... c'mon.

WIKI SAYS: Garbage time is a term used to refer to the period toward the end of a timed sporting event that has become a blowout when the outcome of the game has already been decided, and the coaches of one or both teams will decide to replace their best players with substitutes.

I'd venture to say very little of Bortles scores have come with substitutes in the game... the NFL rarely does this unless in a super blow out game.

I'd guess (without reading this ridiculous article) that the majority of his "garbage time" did not come when the game was technically out of reach.
In the NFL we've seen teams score 2 TDs in 4-5 minutes of game play.
With time outs and challenges and 2 minute warnings... the time of the end of the game is stretched and a lot can happen.

Now... some will argue "prevent D" yadda yadda..
Firstly, many of us casual observers don't know the actual difference in cover 4 and cover 0, much less when some team is playing prevent D, except on the Hail Mary end of game plays when you see 8 defenders back.
So stahp.

The obsession of the fan base and miniscule reporting bloggers of harping on Bortles is getting a little out of hand.
There HAS to be actual football news to report on right?

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 03:17 PM by UCF Knight.)

I'm pretty sure members of this message board have written this article over and over for this guy. This is more regurgitated crap and you are bringing it up as if he's shining light on something new.

Let me ask you something. For there to be garbage time, doesn't the defense have to give up points? Have we had a terrible awful line the past few years? Have we had a good running game? How about our coaching staff? When is garbage time? Because based on this writers article, he doesn't know exactly when garbage time is. He's picking and choosing to make a point.

The fact that all the blame falls squarely on his shoulders is laughable. If you are unable to put blame on more than one area of the team, you should move on from your Blake Bortles discussions.

Under Gus, when down by 10 points or more at halftime, initiate garbage time offense. Opposing defenses knowing the Jags don't have what it takes to take the lead start playing prevent defenses early to let the Jags catch the ball inbounds, burn the clock and make the game shorter. As a result, the 2015 franchise passing record.

(08-16-2017, 03:22 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Under Gus, when down by 10 points or more at halftime, initiate garbage time offense.  Opposing defenses knowing the Jags don't have what it takes to take the lead start playing prevent defenses early to let the Jags catch the ball inbounds, burn the clock and make the game shorter.  As a result, the 2015 franchise passing record.

Are we ignoring that we had the second worst defense in the NFL that year? 

It's kind of like a lot of other things in the world today.  It's easy to blame the issues on one thing instead of looking at the larger group.  We had a bad defense, an awful offensive line, no running game, young young receivers, a first year quarterback.  The whole team was young and green.  Yet somehow everyone here only looks back and blames Blake Bortles.

This message board is sad.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 03:42 PM by Jagsfan32277.)

(08-16-2017, 03:35 PM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 03:22 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Under Gus, when down by 10 points or more at halftime, initiate garbage time offense.  Opposing defenses knowing the Jags don't have what it takes to take the lead start playing prevent defenses early to let the Jags catch the ball inbounds, burn the clock and make the game shorter.  As a result, the 2015 franchise passing record.

Are we ignoring that we had the second worst defense in the NFL that year? 

It's kind of like a lot of other things in the world today.  It's easy to blame the issues on one thing instead of looking at the larger group.  We had a bad defense, an awful offensive line, no running game, young young receivers, a first year quarterback.  The whole team was young and green.  Yet somehow everyone here only looks back and blames Blake Bortles.

If everything goes as plan like all the experts are saying that the Jags should be a much improved on D and a running game. Have a more competent coaching staff.  Games should be closer and less chance for garbage time.   Now we get to see if Bortles can execute and be consistent rather than just slinging the ball and throwing up jump balls.

If somebody has the stomach to visit BCC I'll bet that there is another "article" like this one using this "article" as a source.  Maybe Alfie has already tweeted this breaking news blather.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-16-2017, 03:41 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 03:35 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: Are we ignoring that we had the second worst defense in the NFL that year? 

If everything goes as plan like all the experts are saying that the Jags should be a much improved on D and a running game. Have a more competent coaching staff.  Games should be closer and less chance for garbage time.   Now we get to see if Bortles can execute and be consistent rather than just slinging the ball and throwing up jump balls.

I agree.  I'm not here saying Bortles is going to blow the world away or be the second coming of Roethlisberger, but the hate he is getting here is pathetic based on the previous product here.

I just hope the line holds up.  Take less chances, decrease the mistakes/interceptions and I think the season will dramatically change.

Bortles plays terribly when the game is close. He plays like Tom Brady when the game is out of hand. Those are FACTS this article demonstrates with mathematical precision.

That doesn't have anything to do with defense. The article doesn't say Jags losses are solely caused by Bortles playing like hot garbage in first half or when the game is close. That's a straw man argument that Bortles defenders raise constantly to falsely make his critics look dumb. But the author, does argue, correctly, that it has a negative impact on your chances of winning if your starting QB is worst in the league when the game is on the line.

The fact that there are sunshine posters delusional enough to debate any of this is nuts.

(08-16-2017, 04:21 PM)TealHammer Wrote: Bortles plays terribly when the game is close. He plays like Tom Brady when the game is out of hand. Those are FACTS this article demonstrates with mathematical precision.

That doesn't have anything to do with defense. The article doesn't say Jags losses are solely caused by Bortles  playing like hot garbage in first half or when the game is close. That's a straw man argument that Bortles defenders raise constantly to falsely make his critics look dumb. But the author, does argue, correctly, that it has a negative impact on your chances of winning if your starting QB is worst in the league when the game is on the line.  

The fact that there are sunshine posters delusional enough to debate any of this is nuts.

Mathematical "precision" is only based on the problem vs. the solution and tolerances.  Regarding the "article" opinion piece in the OP, I can make a spreadsheet and graphs that show otherwise.

"Bortles plays terribly when the game is close. He plays like Tom Brady when the game is out of hand." is an opinion and not "precision" mathematics.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Garbage time stats. Garbage teams tend to spend more time in garbage time. Fact is we have been a garbage team with no run game and other than last year a defense that could not stop anyone. This year we look to have a decent team, lets see how they perform before we assume the past is the future.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

I think it's very important that we scour the internet for as many negative 'articles', misquoted tweets, and partial blurbs about Bortles as possible. We don't have quite enough posted and it is imperative that we have covered every angle possible because we aren't quite sure that there are people that don't like him as a player.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-16-2017, 04:32 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 04:21 PM)TealHammer Wrote: Bortles plays terribly when the game is close. He plays like Tom Brady when the game is out of hand. Those are FACTS this article demonstrates with mathematical precision.

That doesn't have anything to do with defense. The article doesn't say Jags losses are solely caused by Bortles  playing like hot garbage in first half or when the game is close. That's a straw man argument that Bortles defenders raise constantly to falsely make his critics look dumb. But the author, does argue, correctly, that it has a negative impact on your chances of winning if your starting QB is worst in the league when the game is on the line.  

Mathematical "precision" is only based on the problem vs. the solution and tolerances.  Regarding the "article" opinion piece in the OP, I can make a spreadsheet and graphs that show otherwise.

"Bortles plays terribly when the game is close. He plays like Tom Brady when the game is out of hand." is an opinion and not "precision" mathematics.

My favorite part is when he says Bortles is horrible in the first half bringing the team down and his first half passing was literally identical to Andrew Luck, the NFL's golden boy.

(08-16-2017, 03:58 PM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 03:41 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: If everything goes as plan like all the experts are saying that the Jags should be a much improved on D and a running game. Have a more competent coaching staff.  Games should be closer and less chance for garbage time.   Now we get to see if Bortles can execute and be consistent rather than just slinging the ball and throwing up jump balls.

I agree.  I'm not here saying Bortles is going to blow the world away or be the second coming of Roethlisberger, but the hate he is getting here is pathetic based on the previous product here.

I just hope the line holds up.  Take less chances, decrease the mistakes/interceptions and I think the season will dramatically change.
For my part, any "hate" (not really that), is directed at Mr. Caldwell for making such a ridiculous stretch.  Multi-millions in the bank or not, I actually have empathy for Bortles, a seemingly good guy otherwise, in a position he does NOT have the skills to succeed in.  Money isn't everything, that has to be hard on the guy, because he knows it...

The thread title gave me a good lolol

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 06:19 PM by Protozoa.)

(08-16-2017, 03:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: If somebody has the stomach to visit BCC I'll bet that there is another "article" like this one using this "article" as a source.  Maybe Alfie has already tweeted this breaking news blather.

whatever you do don`t go over there. They are basically in full blown football apocalypse mode, talking about trading a 2nd or 1st round pick for players who haven`t even had more then preseason play. Cause you know bringing in a guy 3 weeks before the season starts is a recipe for success.

On topic. If being a bad team that is in "garbage time" means your QB is going to have crazy stats like Bortles did in 2015, then why don`t the Browns QBs have crazy stats every year?
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]