Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Is The Tom Brady of Garbage Time

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 06:29 PM by homebiscuit.)

Just to show them, we'll win FOUR games this season. 

But seriously, two primary things I'll be watching in the first few games is game management from Marrone (which Gus completely lacked) and the improvement of Bortles and how he reacts to the said game management. Judging from the final two games last season, BB responds well to coaching competence.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-16-2017, 06:17 PM)Protozoa Wrote: [quote='jagibelieve' pid='1012197' dateline='1502912814']
On topic. If being a bad team that is in "garbage time" means your QB is going to have crazy stats like Bortles did in 2015, then why don`t the Browns QBs have crazy stats every year?

Did you read the article? Not being sarcastic but this is something addressed.

Blake Bortles is literally the Tom Brady of junk time. His QB rating in junk time only is slightly higher than Brady's QB rating in 2016 (which was very high). Other QBs have only a TINY change between junk and non-junk time. This is a demonstrable trait Blake has and not every other QB does. Which answers your question.

It's not a negative that Blake plays like a Hall of Famer when the games not on the line. That fact IS something you should be aware of when considering his stats.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 09:06 PM by Predator.)

(08-16-2017, 03:04 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Clear confirmation bias.

Being down 9 points with 5 minutes left is not garbage time.

I've seen many a come back in that situation.

Down 3 scores with 5 minutes left? Yeah, but not being down less than two TDs.

Garbage time implies that the defense is no longer trying. Ain't no defense letting up in that situation.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 09:33 PM by Protozoa.)

(08-16-2017, 08:55 PM)TealHammer Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 06:17 PM)Protozoa Wrote: On topic. If being a bad team that is in "garbage time" means your QB is going to have crazy stats like Bortles did in 2015, then why don`t the Browns QBs have crazy stats every year?

Did you read the article?  Not being sarcastic but this is something addressed.

Blake Bortles is literally the Tom Brady of junk time. His QB rating in junk time only is slightly higher than Brady's QB rating in 2016 (which was very high). Other QBs have only a TINY change between junk and non-junk time.  This is a demonstrable trait Blake has and not every other QB does. Which answers your question.

It's not a negative that Blake plays like a Hall of Famer when the games not on the line. That fact IS something you should be aware of when considering his stats.

No I didn`t because i`ve read 5 articles exactly like it already. Every one of them acts like throwing for 4000+ yards and 35 TDs is something that happens every year with bad QBs, They also ignore that fact that maybe 4 of the games could really be considered "garbage time" and one of those games was the Pats which was by far his worst game that season.
Hes by no means an all star QB but hes also not total garbage like everyone likes to act.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(08-16-2017, 09:32 PM)Protozoa Wrote: No I didn`t because i`ve read 5 articles exactly like it already. Every one of them acts like throwing for 4000+ yards and 35 TDs is something that happens every year with bad QBs, They also ignore that fact that maybe 4 of the games could really be considered "garbage time" and one of those games was the Pats which was by far his worst game that season.
Hes by no means an all star QB but hes also not total garbage like everyone likes to act.

this is what I put on reddit a few days ago

in the 2 blowout games in 2015 he put up a total of 2 passing tds. Every other game was reasonably close.
but for fun lets dive a bit more
5 tds in a loss to ten 39-42
4 tds in a loss to no 27-38 with 1 of those being a garbage time td
4 tds in a loss to tam 31-38 actually had the lead in the game until the final 15 seconds of the 3rd, 1 garbage time td
3 tds in a loss to hou 31-20 1 garbage time td
3 tds in a win to ind 51-16 3tds n a rushing td in the final 2 quarters. Is it still Garbage time if your winning?
So by my count I see 5 garbage time tds. The guy threw some crippling interceptions that season but his stats weren't the result of garbage time as much as you think. Lets not act like other qbs in the league don't put up around 5 tds a year in garbage time.
edit: went more in depth
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

I went over to BCC for the hell of it... and am sorry I did. Those guys are delusional and probably think 'BCC' is an acronym for 'Bortles Can't Compete'
[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

(08-16-2017, 11:03 PM)temporaryname Wrote: I went over to BCC for the hell of it... and am sorry I did. Those guys are delusional and probably think 'BCC' is an acronym for 'Bortles Can't Compete'

Its pure delusion over there, And don`t you dare try to use fact or common since or you`ll be accused of using strawmen arguments or hyperbole.

It really is just the worst.

(08-16-2017, 09:01 PM)Predator Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 03:04 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Clear confirmation bias.

Being down 9 points with 5 minutes left is not garbage time.

I've seen many a come back in that situation.

Down 3 scores with 5 minutes left? Yeah, but not being down less than two TDs.

Garbage time implies that the defense is no longer trying. Ain't no defense letting up in that situation.

Yup.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 06:48 AM by leopold332002.)

BCC needs new leadership but sadly i don't know how to go about it to get Alfie replaced.
[Image: giphy.gif]

It *is* possible to come up with a reasonable definition of 'garbage time'. Bortles has had a lot less of it than some people think. This is a team that has lost a lot of close games recently, and has normally been in games late into the last quarter. Obviously you'd rather be a team that wins at least its fair share of those close games, and some of the blame for that may be on Bortles, but it's nothing to do with garbage time.

(08-17-2017, 06:48 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: BCC needs new leadership but sadly i don't know how to go about it to get Alfie replaced.
Alfie would be fine if you could sit back and have a rational discussion with him without him insulting your intelligence.

Really Alfie isn't the only problem at BCC all the writers over there are just like him.

(08-17-2017, 06:58 AM)iapetus Wrote: It *is* possible to come up with a reasonable definition of 'garbage time'. Bortles has had a lot less of it than some people think. This is a team that has lost a lot of close games recently, and has normally been in games late into the last quarter. Obviously you'd rather be a team that wins at least its fair share of those close games, and some of the blame for that may be on Bortles, but it's nothing to do with garbage time.

I believe the garbage time stats is referring primarily to 2015, and yes there was a lot of garbage time & fluky garbage plays that inflated his stats in 2015.  I saw it and said it then, and with any objectivity you could see that it was a house of cards destined to fall that so many were anointing.  Wobbly lobbed jump balls to A-rob, etc....   Understandingly I suppose, it had/has been so long since we were relevant, people wanted to believe.  Then the defense was somewhat improved in 2016 and games stayed closer, and that combined with inevitable shutdown of the fluky plays (crazy jump balls, etc.) and probably a bit of decline of A-rob performance of his own fault, brought those stats back closer to reality in 2016.  And more than some of it is on the play of the QB, a lot of it is, and first and foremost it's still on Caldwell in my book.

Dead horse topic.

Bortles actually had good production in 2015 after you subtract his garbage time stats.

2016 was a different story. The article lumps the two seasons together (and does the weak 9 points bit) so the claim will hold water. Weak.

News flash folks: Bortles has issues - but he's also been playing for a crap team with a crappier coach until now. Who gives a damn what he did then?? It's what he does moving forward with a better roster and better coaching that matters. I couldnt care less about some convoluted garbage time stat line from last season.

(08-17-2017, 08:30 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Dead horse topic.

Bortles actually had good production in 2015 after you subtract his garbage time stats.

2016 was a different story. The article lumps the two seasons together so the claim will hold water. Weak.

News flash folks: Bortles has issues - but he's also been playing for a crap team with a crappier coach until now. Who gives a damn what he did then?? It's what he does moving forward with a better roster and better coaching that matters. I couldnt care less about some convoluted garbage time stat line from last season.

Would you please stop making sense.  There is no call for that on this board.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-17-2017, 08:32 AM)Rico Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 08:30 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Dead horse topic.

2016 was a different story. The article lumps the two seasons together so the claim will hold water. Weak.

Would you please stop making sense.  There is no call for that on this board.

Yes, NYC4jags does make sense re: the past/dead stats argument, I do agree.  I'm ready to give it a shot (again), and besides, what choice do we have since they inexplicably didn't prepare a "plan B"? 

But here is my *opinion* that still holds for 3+ years now and increasingly so: my eyes see a QB that is a big, tough, athletic "gamer", and a likable guy for what that's worth --- but isn't gifted with an NFL caliber pure passing ability and perhaps more alarmingly hasn't demonstrated to be able to learn to read NFL defenses, and there are ? on his leadership qualities.  The last 2 may be somewhat coachable, and I think he's been hampered by a lack of help in that area, but I'd say it's at least 50% on him too.  The first part (pure passing ability) is unlikely to change much.  As I've said a hundred times before, I HOPE I'M WRONG, but how long can I keep saying that???

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 09:42 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

OMG .... now i'm really sick

"But the traditional stats don’t show the true Bortles: He is the NFL’s best when the game is basically over. In garbage time — which we define as the last five minutes of the fourth quarter, when a team is down multiple scores (9 or more points) — Bortles transforms into the franchise quarterback Jacksonville envisioned when they made him the No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. In these scenarios in the past two seasons, Bortles has completed 78 of 118 for 964 yards with 12 touchdowns. He’s tossed only four picks. His passer rating in these instances is 111. To get a sense of how good that is, Tom Brady’s rating across all of last season was 112."

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 01:13 PM by Jagsfan32277.)

Matt Hasselbeck says Bortles take care of the football mentality is messed up for life and the comments say Kaepernick is better.

When Gus Bradley is the coach every minute of every game is garbage time.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Wow Bortles is really being dragged through the mud nationally now. That can't help building confidence.

(08-17-2017, 02:28 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: When Gus Bradley is the coach every minute of every game is garbage time.

/Thread