Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Abraham Lincoln monument torched in Chicago

Abraham Lincoln monument torched in Chicago

Abraham Lincoln has joined George Washington on the list of those targeted by Chicagoans in a national debate over Civil War-era monuments.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017...go-an-abs/
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-17-2017, 04:58 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Abraham Lincoln monument torched in Chicago

Abraham Lincoln has joined George Washington on the list of those targeted by Chicagoans in a national debate over Civil War-era monuments.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017...go-an-abs/

You're trying too hard.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Shocker. Some moron in Chicago found a monument to Abraham Lincoln offensive. The man who emancipated the slaves. Odds are, whoever did this doesn't have a clue who he was, and set the thing on fire because it was some old white dude from the Civil War era.

You can't fix stupid.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

How long have these monuments been up before these groups decided they are now offended by it?

Statues are like threads on this very site. Don't like 'em, don't look at 'em.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

These people don't realize how horribly they scar their own message.

These people can barely walk and breath at the same time...so
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

They've been instructed to be outraged - so they're outraged.

(08-18-2017, 11:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: They've been instructed to be outraged - so they're outraged.

The Craigslist ad hiring protesters didn't mention anything about being outraged.   That would have cost a little more than the usual minimum wage most of these "protesters" are hauling in with their part time gigs at McDonalds and Starbucks.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Abraham Lincoln is offensive.  He destroyed America.  And he wasn't too fond of black people:

Quote:"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."

-Abraham Lincoln

Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858 (The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, pp. 145-146.)

(08-18-2017, 09:05 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Abraham Lincoln is offensive.  He destroyed America.  And he wasn't too fond of black people:

Quote:"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."

-Abraham Lincoln

Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858 (The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, pp. 145-146.)

I have to admit I've never seen this quote before. However, in context of the times, this view was considered moderate. While slavery was absent in the North, racism was rampant and barely concealed. 

I'm curious as to how you arrived at the conclusion that Lincoln destroyed America.

(08-20-2017, 11:55 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have to admit I've never seen this quote before. However, in context of the times, this view was considered moderate. While slavery was absent in the North, racism was rampant and barely concealed. 

I'm curious as to how you arrived at the conclusion that Lincoln destroyed America.

Please read the Wikipedia page on the Emancipation Proclamation.  It did not apply to the approximately 1 million slaves in the North. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_Proclamation

As to the destruction of the Unites States, it is not my conclusion, it is historical fact. 

On March 27, 1861 the southern States' contingent walked out of congress and congress adjourned "sine die" (without a day). 

From Wikipedia:  Adjournment sine die means "without assigning a day for a further meeting or hearing". To adjourn an assembly sine die is to adjourn it for an indefinite period. A legislative body adjourns sine die when it adjourns without appointing a day on which to appear or assemble again.

Congress officially dissolved in 1861. They never had a lawful quorum so never lawfully reconvened.

It was Lincoln ruling by decree back then which is the basis for all actions since. He ordered congress to do certain things under martial law (military rule). He even had the governor of New York arrested for opposing certain decrees.

We have had a corporation ACTING as government since 21 Feb 1871.
See:
28 U.S.C. 3002 (15)
(15)“United States” means—
(A) a Federal corporation;
(B) an agency, department, commission, board, or other entity of the United States; or
© an instrumentality of the United States.

So... B and C are subdivisions of the "Federal corporation." For further verification go to Dunn & Bradstreet (dnb.com) or manta.com. You will find that ALL government entities are listed as private corporations right down to your local police department and school district.

The law isn't what you think it is. It's all just corporate regulations. Congress and legislatures are acting as the board of directors for the corporations and most people don't have any idea. You are simply seen as a corporate asset (human resource) with an asset tag (SS#) that is not allowed to tell your owner what to do.  In "freeing the slaves" we all became slaves.

Charles Barkley says most black people haven't thought a day in their life about confederate statues.  Personally I don't care one way or another about the statues. If communities want them down, take them down. But this fabricated outrage and spate of vandalism only illustrates just how unhinged the alt left is in this country. Currently violence is a purview of the left, and the moderates say nothing and secretly enjoy it because they believe it is righteous. It is not.

(08-21-2017, 06:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Charles Barkley says most black people haven't thought a day in their life about confederate statues.  Personally I don't care one way or another about the statues. If communities want them down, take them down. But this fabricated outrage and spate of vandalism only illustrates just how unhinged the alt left is in this country. Currently violence is a purview of the left, and the moderates say nothing and secretly enjoy it because they believe it is righteous. It is not.

I think the sudden, renewed outcry to whitewash (blackwash?) history is a direct product of the Bernie Sanders generation's willingness to eat up anything they're spoon fed by the news, by their teachers, by their mentors. If all three are telling them that Confederate memorials are bad and must come down, then clearly Confederate memorials are bad and must come down, right? Perhaps it's a symptom of their having grown up with Facebook and Twitter, where their influential figures are able to comment off the cuff, immediately, on whatever's on their mind. Previous generations (pre-1990ish millennials and earlier) would see something on the news, then a (usually) thought-out formal statement after the fact, giving them time to process and form their own opinion if they chose to. Now? Something happens and Trump, Sanders, whoever is tweeting a 140-character reaction in minutes, long before getting all the facts, and they send those comments out in such a way that they'll exactly be what their audience wants to hear as opposed to a genuine reaction to facts.

Of course, the alt-right does itself no favors when they march through cities with adorable little tiki torches saluting Nazi symbols and chanting anti-everything-that-isn't-white-and-Christian slogans. No one will ever be able to convince me that that was intended to be a nonviolent, peaceful protest. It was designed from the start to create mayhem, and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves and no one else.

Anyone know the truth about ol Honest Abe?
He wasn't really in the freeing slaves business...

In his first inaugural address, Lincoln stated clearly that (1) he had no legal authority to interfere with slavery where it existed, (2) that he had no inclination or intention to do so even if he had the legal authority, (3) that he would enforce the Fugitive Slave Act, returning runaway slaves escaping to the North to their masters in the South, and (4) that he fully supported the Thirteenth Amendment then being debated in Congress which would protect slavery in perpetuity and was irrevocable. He later famously stated, “Do not paint me with the Abolitionist brush.”
Although there was some opposition to slavery in the country, the government was willing to concede everything the South wanted regarding slavery to keep it in the Union. Given all these facts, the idea that the South seceded to protect slavery is as absurd as the idea that Lincoln fought the war to end slavery. Lincoln himself said in a famous letter after the war began that his sole purpose was to save the Union, and not to either save or end slavery; that if he could save the Union without freeing a single slave, he would. Nothing could be clearer.

History is amazing if you're willing to actually know the truth.

Now... I think it is stupid to tear these monuments down.. Lincoln..Washington...Jackson or Lee....
But I have long thought it was stupid for people to declare Abe the protector and savior of the black peoples....

I just wonder if these idiots want to start going to work and school on Columbus Day...
he was a slave trader.

This is the legacy of the SJW generation. These "warriors" need a culture war and they will invent one if they have to. They will destroy the culture, even their own culture, because nothing will ever be progressive enough to suit them and the culture war can never stop because then they would have no purpose in life.

(08-22-2017, 02:08 PM)Kane Wrote: Anyone know the truth about ol Honest Abe?
He wasn't really in the freeing slaves business...

In his first inaugural address, Lincoln stated clearly that (1) he had no legal authority to interfere with slavery where it existed, (2) that he had no inclination or intention to do so even if he had the legal authority, (3) that he would enforce the Fugitive Slave Act, returning runaway slaves escaping to the North to their masters in the South, and (4) that he fully supported the Thirteenth Amendment then being debated in Congress which would protect slavery in perpetuity and was irrevocable. He later famously stated, “Do not paint me with the Abolitionist brush.”
Although there was some opposition to slavery in the country, the government was willing to concede everything the South wanted regarding slavery to keep it in the Union. Given all these facts, the idea that the South seceded to protect slavery is as absurd as the idea that Lincoln fought the war to end slavery. Lincoln himself said in a famous letter after the war began that his sole purpose was to save the Union, and not to either save or end slavery; that if he could save the Union without freeing a single slave, he would. Nothing could be clearer.

History is amazing if you're willing to actually know the truth.

Now... I think it is stupid to tear these monuments down.. Lincoln..Washington...Jackson or Lee....
But I have long thought it was stupid for people to declare Abe the protector and savior of the black peoples....

I just wonder if these idiots want to start going to work and school on Columbus Day...
he was a slave trader.
Too much truth here.  Minds should have been blown.  Research should have been initiated.  Questions should have been asked and answers should have been sought.  The question I have though is, did the person or person's that performed this act ask a single one of these questions?  Were they even challenged by this line of thinking?  The sad truth is they were most likely like  Pavlov's dogs, conditioned  to react and in this case to today's approved story line.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

It appears we have a few who have bought into The Lost Cause.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

So Lincoln's actual words and deeds don't matter?

This Lost Cause BS is being pushed hard by NPR and other liberal media wishing to rewrite history. Did you learn that phrase this week, rj?

(08-23-2017, 04:12 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: So Lincoln's actual words and deeds don't matter?  

This Lost Cause BS is being pushed hard by NPR and other liberal media wishing to rewrite history.  Did you learn that phrase this week, rj?

You realize the Lost Cause was a rewrite of history, don't you?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]