Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB is an open competition per Marrone

Well, brace yourselves for another five to six win season because that's where it's looking like we're heading. Don't care who leads this offense at this point. Henne threw some darts back-to-back that were dropped. That's promising. We still have Fournette to look forward to. But, at the end of the day I don't see us being able to do enough.

We saw some sloppy, undisciplined play last night on kick returns as well. I think I counted at least four or five straight times in a row where we were flagged for holding. That needs to be cleaned up by now. Ivory was getting owned in the backfield. Yeldon maybe had one nice run. But nothing really eye opening last night at all.

This secondary is completely screwed if we lose Ramsey, Bouye and Colvin at any point this year. I don't feel confident with any of the depth we have at CB after last night's showing. Now, granted. It was against Evans and Jackson. But it's still a scary thought.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Chad Henne is not a bad qb. Maybe i just starve for good quarterback play, but i thought Henne did a great job out there last night. Poise, accuracy, timing velocity and reading the field. The defense looked pedestrian, at best.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(08-18-2017, 07:09 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Well, brace yourselves for another five to six win season because that's where it's looking like we're heading. Don't care who leads this offense at this point. Henne threw some darts back-to-back that were dropped. That's promising. We still have Fournette to look forward to. But, at the end of the day I don't see us being able to do enough.

We saw some sloppy, undisciplined play last night on kick returns as well. I think I counted at least four or five straight times in a row where we were flagged for holding. That needs to be cleaned up by now. Ivory was getting owned in the backfield. Yeldon maybe had one nice run. But nothing really eye opening last night at all.

This secondary is completely screwed if we lose Ramsey, Bouye and Colvin at any point this year. I don't feel confident with any of the depth we have at CB after last night's showing. Now, granted. It was against Evans and Jackson. But it's still a scary thought.

I don't see Fournette shining behind this oline. Run blocking was atrocious last night.

Bortles value probably can't get much lower as of right now, smartest move might be to let play and hope he shines in a couple preseason games, then move him for whatever we can get.

At this point it looks like the coaching staff has lost their confidence in Blake and Marrone has always been about playing the best option, not the one with the most potential. He's gonna be looking for our Orton.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(08-18-2017, 07:09 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Well, brace yourselves for another five to six win season because that's where it's looking like we're heading. Don't care who leads this offense at this point. Henne threw some darts back-to-back that were dropped. That's promising. We still have Fournette to look forward to. But, at the end of the day I don't see us being able to do enough.

That's about right.   Minus Fournette and our entire secondary on defense, we should be better play once we have all the pieces back on the field.  We've said all along that it rests on the arm of Bortles.  Well, he pretty much assured that we'll be picking another top 10 draft pick in 2018.  Henne looks great at times, but then he's Henne.  Can't trust that to take this team to the next level, and there's really nobody out there we are going to trade for who is going to step in and magically turn this team into a contender.  

It's probably time to start talking about the draft.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Bortles is looking average. We know Henne is just a guy. If it becomes apparent a month or two into the season, nothing good is happening, may as well go with Allen at that point. Nothing to lose and at least we can find out if the guy can play when it counts.

Blake won't even be on the team week 1.

Henne isn't great but he can sure manage the game. His weapons are completely different than they were when he was the starter here. His throws actually look crisp and on target. Marrone did well with Orton so maybe he can do the same here.

Maybe it's just me but the way Marrone was talking I didn't get the feeling Allen is really considered in the "competition".

It's either Bortles or Henne and at this point I can't see them putting Bortles back on the field again.

Marrone appeared to be furious last night in the 5 minutes clip on jaguars.com, he spoke calmly but you could feel how angry he was about the performance of the entire team.
Bortles won't be the only guy losing his place/roster spot.

(08-18-2017, 08:19 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Maybe it's just me but the way Marrone was talking I didn't get the feeling Allen is really considered in the "competition".

It's either Bortles or Henne and at this point I can't see them putting Bortles back on the field again.

Marrone appeared to be furious last night in the 5 minutes clip on jaguars.com, he spoke calmly but you could feel how angry he was about the performance of the entire team.

Yeah I agree. It's always "the two QBs"

I think they should give Allen some reps with the ones during practice this week, but doesn't sound like Marrone is too high on him winning that job
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 08:39 AM by keeper88.)

(08-18-2017, 08:05 AM)rfc17 Wrote: Bortles is looking average.  We know Henne is just a guy.  If it becomes apparent a month or two into the season, nothing good is happening, may as well go with Allen at that point.  Nothing to lose and at least we can find out if the guy can play when it counts.

I'd say Henne looks about average on a good day. Blake is well below average and doesn't belong on an NFL roster, sad but true.

(08-18-2017, 08:35 AM)mvannostran Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 08:19 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Maybe it's just me but the way Marrone was talking I didn't get the feeling Allen is really considered in the "competition".

Yeah I agree. It's always "the two QBs"

I think they should give Allen some reps with the ones during practice this week, but doesn't sound like Marrone is too high on him winning that job

Yes, that "the 2 QB's" was telling. Also the face he made when he was asked if Allen was in the competion was quite telling too. He then went on to say "well yes he's there too" but seems more diplomacy than him believing in that option.

I agree, Allen deserve some reps with the starters. It was reported pretty much everyday that he had a very good day during practices (ok, against weaker competition), maybe he won't be the saviour but what do we have to lose at this point? Give the kid some reps and see how he does, we know Bortles and Henne well enough.

(08-18-2017, 05:32 AM)Treestone Ice Wrote: Look, you cant trot Bortles out there behind this turd offensive line if you know he's not going to produce. The guy is going to almost assuredly be cut before the team has to pay him that 19 million dollars for the 5th year option we (regrettably) picked up. If you're going to start him, you need to have a good idea that he's going to help you win. 

This offensive line is still crap, and if Bortles (the most sacked NFL QB over the last 3 years) goes out there and gets hurt in the process of stinking it up, and we get caught having to pay him 19 million dollars next year because of it, I'm going to lose my mind. 

The Jags are already in a bad and slightly embarrassing situation with Bortles. I'm not the decision maker here, but its high time someone in the FO calls a spade a spade and cuts our losses before this situation gets worse. Bortles isn't going to take this team to the playoffs, and that should be all but certain by now.

I think you, me, Marrone and most of the fans agree. What is the financial impact of cutting Bortles now? Would we pay him his total $$ for this year and what portion of the $19 mill next year would we owe him (once Jags02 climbs out of bed in Oregon we'll get an accurate answer)? I totally agree with you that it an embarrassing situation for the Jags to have picked up that option.

(08-18-2017, 07:14 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: Chad Henne is not a bad qb. Maybe i just starve for good quarterback play, but i thought Henne did a great job out there last night. Poise, accuracy, timing velocity and reading the field. The defense looked pedestrian, at best.
I thought the same on Henne but Dennis Green's quote (paraphrased) applies- "he is what we thought he was" or something like that.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I think that we're over analyzing a preseason game. People are now convincing themselves that Henne is above average. I still think that Bortles will be the starter, and that Marrone's comments were more of a hard coaching play than anything else, but time will tell. Also I watched the game, and I know that Bortles missed 2 throws, but outside of that didn't miss much. The team as a whole looked pathetic. While he was at the helm we literally couldn't run for a single yard, he was under pressure almost constantly, started our drives in backed up field position, etc. I think that the clamoring by the media/fans is making this situation worse than what it really should be. I know we didn't look good last night, but it was definitely as a whole, and not just at the quarterback position.

Lol people are talking themselves into thinking Henne is a solid option. Henne is just as trash as Bortles.
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

(08-18-2017, 08:47 AM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: I think that we're over analyzing a preseason game.  People are now convincing themselves that Henne is above average.  I still think that Bortles will be the starter, and that Marrone's comments were more of a hard coaching play than anything else, but time will tell.  Also I watched the game, and I know that Bortles missed 2 throws, but outside of that didn't miss much.  The team as a whole looked pathetic.  While he was at the helm we literally couldn't run for a single yard, he was under pressure almost constantly, started our drives in backed up field position, etc.  I think that the clamoring by the media/fans is making this situation worse than what it really should be.  I know we didn't look good last night, but it was definitely as a whole, and not just at the quarterback position.

The problem now isn't just that Blake missed those throws. It's how ridiculously bad he missed them. You can tell he has no confidence in himself. Rookie year and 2015 he went out there slinging the ball around, doing his thing. He's trying so hard to be a conservative game manager and that's just not him. He needs to go just throw the ball around and have fun again.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-18-2017, 07:53 AM)FBT Wrote:

That's about right.   Minus Fournette and our entire secondary on defense, we should be better play once we have all the pieces back on the field.  We've said all along that it rests on the arm of Bortles.  Well, he pretty much assured that we'll be picking another top 10 draft pick in 2018.  Henne looks great at times, but then he's Henne.  Can't trust that to take this team to the next level, and there's really nobody out there we are going to trade for who is going to step in and magically turn this team into a contender.  

It's probably time to start talking about the draft.
You know it's really bad when even FBT is talking like this!

Y'all are hilarious. Blake trolls you guys on a couple passes and you think it is the end of the world. Just FYI, I talked to Blakey Poo before the game last night, and he said, "Wait until you see what I have in store for that crybaby receiver tonight". LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allen was clearly the best QB for the Jags last night. Accurate throws, pocket presence, scramble ability. I'd like to see a competition netween Henne/Allen with Blake #3.

Is Blake's money for this year guaranteed?

(08-18-2017, 08:50 AM)mvannostran Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 08:47 AM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: I think that we're over analyzing a preseason game.  People are now convincing themselves that Henne is above average.  I still think that Bortles will be the starter, and that Marrone's comments were more of a hard coaching play than anything else, but time will tell.  Also I watched the game, and I know that Bortles missed 2 throws, but outside of that didn't miss much.  The team as a whole looked pathetic.  While he was at the helm we literally couldn't run for a single yard, he was under pressure almost constantly, started our drives in backed up field position, etc.  I think that the clamoring by the media/fans is making this situation worse than what it really should be.  I know we didn't look good last night, but it was definitely as a whole, and not just at the quarterback position.

The problem now isn't just that Blake missed those throws. It's how ridiculously bad he missed them. You can tell he has no confidence in himself. Rookie year and 2015 he went out there slinging the ball around, doing his thing. He's trying so hard to be a conservative game manager and that's just not him. He needs to go just throw the ball around and have fun again.

The throw it around, lob wabbly ducks downfield to A-rob for circus catches, garbage time or not, isn't going to work anymore either.  2015 was a fluke, and like I worried even then, it just delayed the inevitable and caused us to suck for what would be at least a few more years from then.  Time to move on from any lingering denial of that. I don't understand how the FO allowed this to continue, that's the real troublesome part for me today.

People were already booing at their tailgate parties. They were there to boo Bortles as if he's the sole reason that team was pathetic last night.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato