Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Allen Should be the starter

I say go for it. Bortles is done and Henne has always faltered in games that matter. We literally have nothing to lose by starting Allen. I believe he gives us the best chance to win.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Its preseason yes,Jags got no yds hardly at all or points until they played allen. next week is game 3. 

Why not take a risk in pre-season,and let allen play with the first stringers. I told you all this last year,and some thought i was crazy. no name qb picked in the later rounds
,he could be the next tom brady. we got nothing to lose next week. no im not saying to make allen the starter when we play first game unless he looks that good. I'm saying play him next week to see if he could handle the pressure.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

I'd like to see Allen run with the ones for a few series next week. See what he has, we know what Henne is.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-17-2017, 11:17 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Repeat after me: preseason. Backups. Deep breath.

You're right but at least he can hit a receiver in stride.  For whatever reason (changed mechanics or raw ability), Bortles can't seem to do that.  BB has everything you'd want in a QB except accuracy and that's a killer.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I think we can make the playoffs with Allen starting

I'm not saying GIVE Allen the week 1 starting gig...

I'm saying Start Henne preseason game 3, Allen gets 2Q, and give Bortles garbage time...
In preseason game 4, start Allen first half, Henne 2nd half... bench Bortles to protect from injury
Make the best decision at that point...

If QB A starts off poorly, move to the other one and stick with him all year until you're drafting or signing a FA guy....
or magically something happens with one guy or the other...

Any idea why Dirocco and others seem to think Allen is so far behind Henne?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-17-2017, 11:21 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 11:17 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Repeat after me: preseason. Backups. Deep breath.

Has nothing to do with football IQ. If you've watched as many football games in your life as I have you can tell who gets it and who doesn't. The pocket awareness and anticipation on most of his throws were impressive for a guy just going into his 2nd year. I took the second half with a grain of salt but I'm still convinced he can play with the 1's and be more productive than turftarget and henndecap.

Absolutely agree. 

Bortles looks scared in his plays. Allen shows us to be an alive guy. 

In the first down Allen has done more than all Bortles' downs.

(08-18-2017, 09:38 AM)Kane Wrote: I'm not saying GIVE Allen the week 1 starting gig...

I'm saying Start Henne preseason game 3, Allen gets 2Q, and give Bortles garbage time...
In preseason game 4, start Allen first half, Henne 2nd half... bench Bortles to protect from injury
Make the best decision at that point...

If QB A starts off poorly, move to the other one and stick with him all year until you're drafting or signing a FA guy....
or magically something happens with one guy or the other...

This seems like a reasonable approach, Kane. I wholeheartedly agree.

Give me a SECee QB over bb5 anyday...I'm just glad we have him and not calling the tractor dude.

They should give Allen a start with the 1's during pre season to see what the kid can do.

bump

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

nm

Did he not call your mom back or something?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-18-2017, 07:32 PM)mvannostran Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 06:13 PM)jags_r_bake Wrote:

Did he not call your mom back or something?

He didn't call ME back Sad

Here are my views on the events since yesterday.

Like many, I was embarrassed at the output vs. Tampa, but I am going to exercise patience and see how they look when the bullets fly.

The offense is going to be centered on the ground game. Their potential star RB was held out. Granted the Oline struggled all around yesterday, they faced a tough unit, and looked okay last week. I expect good and bad days throughout the season, as the team trends towards good overall. We are not going to go from terrible to great in one season, it's unreasonable to expect that. Fournette's vertical, powerful style of running is going to help the line over time. They will feed off each other and produce a lot more on the ground than yesterday indicated. We saw how they looked together in New England.

I wasn't too keen on Marrone's public disclosure of open competition at QB. It appeared rash and unprofessional to me, and painted the top brass in a fluky light. You should have an intricate sense of your personnel all along, considering they've been together for a while now. Shouldn't take a preseason game to get to that decision, or, keep it in-house and determine your best option at QB.

To me, his disclosure has created a sense of panic and hopelessness in fans, a state of confusion within team confines, and more arms for ridicule by the media.

On the QBs, Henne has looked better these past 2 weeks, causing feathers to ruffle, expectedly. We've seen it in Jacksonville when the backup surpassed the struggling starter in preseason and took his job. Personally, I want to say let Blake manage the game, as you lean heavily on the run, but this is the NFL, you still have to pass the ball effectively even if you are a run first squad. Bortles' mistakes scare me, and he really is far from a game manager type of QB. As such, Henne may make sense for the team's current components all around, though he presents glaring limitations. Allen doesn't appear to be in the picture as of now. I think the ole guys would feel very uncomfortable serving him to Houston on day 1 and beyond due to his lack of experience. It's like committing to a rookie, essentially, and that requires a different team mindset. I am not sure Jacksonville is in that realm right now. Wins are the object, as proclaimed by the owner, TC and DM.

Trading for Smith, or pursuing unknowns or cast offs at this point in the offseason, before even having a preseason game 3 with some game planning, is frantic and misleading in my view. This team doesn't appear just a QB away.

On the D, troubling to see yesterday though they settled towards the end of the half, but again they faced an ascending O, were without the CBs, still sorting out LB configs, and had no games on the D line. They blitzed perhaps twice in the first half and were 1/2 getting home. That D is going to rely on schemes to get to the QB. They'll conjure em. This is precisely the purpose of preseason beyond settling on personnel; assess strengths and weaknesses in order to play to the strengths and find ways to mitigate the drawbacks. The D will be alright.

On Snowie's proposal, to me, because week 3 is the critical dress rehearsal for the season, it makes it difficult to feature Allen prominently (and with the 1s). They are not going to play musical chairs at the position. I think we'll know what the coaching staff decides QB wise by next Thursday. Whomever is under center for the 1st half and into the 3rd qtr is likely your guy going forward. Unless they do an unconventional 'rotation' of the top 2 guys. I don't see that happening. I still think the team is going to be vastly improved from recent years. Now, we wait and fight. Go Jags!
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(08-18-2017, 07:40 PM)jags_r_bake Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 07:32 PM)mvannostran Wrote: Did he not call your mom back or something?

He didn't call ME back Sad

I'm so sorry to hear that.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We aren't going to the playoffs with either Bortles or Henne - so what is the risk of starting Allen?

One of the things that impressed me was the play where he was rolling out to his right, and you could see the tight end rolling out too uncovered for a 5 or 6 yard pickup. But all of sudden the ball goes downfield to Westbrook for a big gain. Been years since I've seen that.