Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Allen Should be the starter

(08-20-2017, 07:46 AM)newporttom Wrote: One of the things that impressed me was the play where he was rolling out to his right, and you could see the tight end rolling out too uncovered for a 5 or 6 yard pickup.  But all of sudden the ball goes downfield to Westbrook for a big gain.  Been years since I've seen that.

He may be the best QB on the roster in terms of vision but I guess he's not showing enough progress to impress the coaching staff.  If he were, they wouldn't keep mentioning him as an afterthought.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The great thing with Allen is that he looks promising and he isn't being thrown into the fire unlike Bortles and Gabbert whom had high expectations due to being drafted in the 1st. Heck I'd rather have Allen gradually improve in the background and be ready to take over if need be ala Garrard.

Seems to me the coaches obviously think much less of his abilities than some of the posters here. It must just be clear to them that he is not close enough to legitimately compete with the other two. That's a damn sad statement in itself.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Unless..... SMOKESCREEN!

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 10:40 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

Just like the previous regimes we've always went with the guy that was practicing well. It's like we ignore what happens on game day when it's the only thing that matters. The lights were on in a real game and Allen's was the most live arm out there. The timing was there, the awareness, anticipation, calls protections.. yadda yadda see what the kid has in the real thing. This team has more issues than just QB. Maybe if we get someone remotely consistent we won't be forced to draft one at least we'll know. He was raw last year but has been watching and practicing with a year under his belt. If it isn't working out stop beating around the bush. The Patriots didn't start Brady until they had no other choice. The Seahawks started 3rd round and 3rd string pick Russell Wilson after paying free agent Matt Flynn to take the reigns. But the Seahawks weren't dumb enough to keep someone with a knack for game time production on the bench. We apparently are.
No pain, no gain.

(08-20-2017, 01:24 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Seems to me the coaches obviously think much less of his abilities than some of the posters here. It must just be clear to them that he is not close enough to legitimately compete with the other two. That's a damn sad statement in itself.

These are the same coaches who thought Blake and Henne were good enough to not draft/sign competition.

It's pretty clear by Marrone's words that he won't even be considered in the competition.
I would have liked seeing him taking some reps with the starters and against better competition than he's used to just to see at what level he's at.
By all accounts he had a good camp (against weaker competition ok) and showed good stuff especially in the last game so giving him a couple of series with the first team in a preseason game can't do anything bad.

(08-21-2017, 06:31 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: It's pretty clear by Marrone's words that he won't even be considered in the competition.
I would have liked seeing him taking some reps with the starters and against better competition than he's used to just to see at what level he's at.
By all accounts he had a good camp (against weaker competition ok) and showed good stuff especially in the last game so giving him a couple of series with the first team in a preseason game can't do anything bad.

I don't know why, but it seems to me like Allen could have had a perfect QB rating and thrown multiple TD's in every preseason game and Marrone would still would not consider him as a starter. For someone on a short leash, he's sure painting himself into a corner.

(08-21-2017, 08:48 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't know why, but it seems to me like Allen could have had a perfect QB rating and thrown multiple TD's in every preseason game and Marrone would still would not consider him as a starter. For someone on a short leash, he's sure painting himself into a corner.

Yeah that seems to be the case for me as well. And it's strange because Marrone seems one that would be open to experiment a bit more.
Also, if Blake starts the season poorly given the 5th year option they would just bench him to avoid injuries. At that point Allen would be the second QB, I think it would be reasonable to give him a bit of playing time with the first team in preseason just to test him out a little.
I would understand if there was a rookie ahead of him and you wouldn't want to take playing time away from the rookie, but with Henne you know what you have.
I don't know, I guess we'll just see how this all play out and let's hope for the best.

I'm at the [BLEEP] it stage of the game where I really don't have an opinion who should start

(08-21-2017, 09:46 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 08:48 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't know why, but it seems to me like Allen could have had a perfect QB rating and thrown multiple TD's in every preseason game and Marrone would still would not consider him as a starter. For someone on a short leash, he's sure painting himself into a corner.

Yeah that seems to be the case for me as well. And it's strange because Marrone seems one that would be open to experiment a bit more.
Also, if Blake starts the season poorly given the 5th year option they would just bench him to avoid injuries. At that point Allen would be the second QB, I think it would be reasonable to give him a bit of playing time with the first team in preseason just to test him out a little.
I would understand if there was a rookie ahead of him and you wouldn't want to take playing time away from the rookie, but with Henne you know what you have.
I don't know, I guess we'll just see how this all play out and let's hope for the best.

Perhaps he knows exactly what he has in Allen.

(08-21-2017, 09:58 PM)nate Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 09:46 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Yeah that seems to be the case for me as well. And it's strange because Marrone seems one that would be open to experiment a bit more.

Perhaps he knows exactly what he has in Allen.

Perhaps Marrone has been at every practice and seen every throw.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(08-21-2017, 10:01 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 09:58 PM)nate Wrote: Perhaps he knows exactly what he has in Allen.

Perhaps Marrone has been at every practice and seen every throw.

Who cares about practice? In the games, he looks like the best QB we have, (which isn't saying much, but it's all we have to go by.)

His teammates have no confidence in him to lead. That is enough to just bench him. The best thing to do now is to give him time and to help him fix his problems. BB is under a lot of pressure now psychologically. The more you put him out there, the more you mess him up.

It would be a mistake to think that Henne can win games for you. Game manager at best. Henne has shown plenty of times who he was when under pressures.

Last option now is to give Allen a chance with the first team two weeks to go before it is too late. It is true that he looked good against third stringers but you never know unless you try.

David Carr was really harping at Allen starting. At this point i`d like to go with the unknown in Allen then the known with Henne or Bortles.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(08-17-2017, 11:15 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: After years of failed 1st round let downs have we found our cinderella QB? Can we start him and have Henne be the backup? Bortles can be traded at this point. His play is pure dookie.

Never going to happen.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

He looked good last year as well. What does he have to do?https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/9/3/12777478/breaking-down-every-one-of-brandon-allens-passes-against-atlanta

Yeah, I don't totally get it, either. Well, I get not starting him at this point.......but, these comments from Jags Brass that imply that he won't even get #1 reps in practice, even just a handful.....I don't really understand that.

(08-22-2017, 05:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He looked good last year as well.  What does he have to do?https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/9/3/12777478/breaking-down-every-one-of-brandon-allens-passes-against-atlanta

Your first mistake is referencing an opinion website that is misleading.

Second, every "game rep" that he's had has been against players that mostly won't be on an NFL roster after this preseason and were probably not on an NFL roster last season.

Finally, if he was that good he would be in the mix for the current quarterback competition.  That ain't happening.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-22-2017, 05:49 PM)Billycool Jag Wrote: Yeah, I don't totally get it, either.  Well, I get not starting him at this point.......but, these comments from Jags Brass that imply that he won't even get #1 reps in practice, even just a handful.....I don't really understand that.

He's not that good.  Do you understand that?