Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Allen Should be the starter

(08-22-2017, 06:04 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 05:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He looked good last year as well.  What does he have to do?https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/9/3/12777478/breaking-down-every-one-of-brandon-allens-passes-against-atlanta

Your first mistake is referencing an opinion website that is misleading.

Second, every "game rep" that he's had has been against players that mostly won't be on an NFL roster after this preseason and were probably not on an NFL roster last season.

Finally, if he was that good he would be in the mix for the current quarterback competition.  That ain't happening.

He is playing with 3rd and 4th stringers as well.  He has looked good in every preseason game he has had.  Better than Henne and Bortles.  You dont know what you have in Allen until you give him a shot.  Henne and Bortles are "that good"?   You must be blind as a bat.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-22-2017, 06:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 06:04 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Your first mistake is referencing an opinion website that is misleading.

Second, every "game rep" that he's had has been against players that mostly won't be on an NFL roster after this preseason and were probably not on an NFL roster last season.

Finally, if he was that good he would be in the mix for the current quarterback competition.  That ain't happening.

He is playing with 3rd and 4th stringers as well.  He has looked good in every preseason game he has had.  Better than Henne and Bortles.  You dont know what you have in Allen until you give him a shot.  Henne and Bortles are "that good"?   You must be blind as a bat.

Yea we should see what the kid can do. He should be over Bortles for sure as he hasn't shown squat in 2 years.

(08-22-2017, 06:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 05:49 PM)Billycool Jag Wrote: Yeah, I don't totally get it, either.  Well, I get not starting him at this point.......but, these comments from Jags Brass that imply that he won't even get #1 reps in practice, even just a handful.....I don't really understand that.

He's not that good.  Do you understand that?

What makes you think he isn't that good?  Coaches have made mistakes before!

(08-22-2017, 06:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 06:04 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Your first mistake is referencing an opinion website that is misleading.

Not sure what you mean by "he".  The bottom line is for the knee jerkers that Brandon Allen is clearly not the answer and clearly not an NFL starting caliber QB.  If he was even CLOSE he would be in the mix, but he isn't.  Deal with it and understand it.

(08-22-2017, 06:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 06:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: He's not that good.  Do you understand that?

What makes you think he isn't that good?  Coaches have made mistakes before!

He would get eaten alive by NFL defenses.  If he had the slightest inkling of being able to be a starting caliber NFL QB he would be "in the mix" for the starting job.  It's not even close right now.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-22-2017, 05:49 PM)Billycool Jag Wrote: Yeah, I don't totally get it, either.  Well, I get not starting him at this point.......but, these comments from Jags Brass that imply that he won't even get #1 reps in practice, even just a handful.....I don't really understand that.

Then why keep him on the team? If he can't beat out two of the worst QBs in the league why burn a roster spot on him?

I know you don't have the answer just talking out loud. 
He's played well against the competition he's been playing against why not give him reps and swe what happens.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(08-22-2017, 06:51 PM)Protozoa Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 06:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: He's not that good.  Do you understand that?

Then why keep him on the team? If he can't beat out two of the worst QBs in the league why burn a roster spot on him?

He's played well against the competition he's been playing against why not give him reps and swe what happens.

The answer is easy.  It's because he is not better than the two other QBs on the roster, yet he's good at running the "scout team" during practice.

Do you think that Coach Maronne and/or Coach Coughlin would keep him back if he had some kind of chance?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-22-2017, 07:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 06:51 PM)Protozoa Wrote: Then why keep him on the team? If he can't beat out two of the worst QBs in the league why burn a roster spot on him?

The answer is easy.  It's because he is not better than the two other QBs on the roster, yet he's good at running the "scout team" during practice.

Do you think that Coach Maronne and/or Coach Coughlin would keep him back if he had some kind of chance?
You mean the same coaches that talked up Bortles this off season?

(08-22-2017, 07:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 06:51 PM)Protozoa Wrote: Then why keep him on the team? If he can't beat out two of the worst QBs in the league why burn a roster spot on him?

(08-22-2017, 07:11 PM)uthill Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 07:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The answer is easy.  It's because he is not better than the two other QBs on the roster, yet he's good at running the "scout team" during practice.

You mean the same coaches that talked up Bortles this off season?
Its very possibble that Coughlin is letting Maronne coach like he has said before and Marrone doesnt believe in Allen.  Like I said, it's also very possible that Marrone is making a very bad decision on not letting Allen compete for the starting job.  He won't be the first time a coach has made a mistake, and damn sure not the first for this team

I think it's most likely that Marrone feels he has a pretty decent team unless the QB screws it up, and he wants someone with experience at the helm. It will probably take BOTH Henne and Blake being hurt or really bad until they take a chance on Allen.

Do I understand that? Is that some sort of a punk-on-a-keyboard smack-talk of my reading comprehension ability? 

I understand that he's shown to be at least good enough to warrant a handful of #1 reps in practice, which was the only point of my post.  I don't think that opinion is so controversial as to warrant your lack of manners.

(08-21-2017, 09:58 PM)nate Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 09:46 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Yeah that seems to be the case for me as well. And it's strange because Marrone seems one that would be open to experiment a bit more.
Also, if Blake starts the season poorly given the 5th year option they would just bench him to avoid injuries. At that point Allen would be the second QB, I think it would be reasonable to give him a bit of playing time with the first team in preseason just to test him out a little.
I would understand if there was a rookie ahead of him and you wouldn't want to take playing time away from the rookie, but with Henne you know what you have.
I don't know, I guess we'll just see how this all play out and let's hope for the best.

Perhaps he knows exactly what he has in Allen.

That couldn't possibly be the case. He's on a short leash.

Marrone knows nothing about quality quarterbacks.  Otherwise he'd have already announced Allen as the starter for life, and then called Canton to start crafting the bust.  Allen is that sneaky good.  I've seen football IQs, and his is at the tippy top.  Tom Brady calls him secretly for advice.

The notion that Allen can't do against 1st team defenses what he does against scrubs who will be out of the league in a couple of weeks is misguided.  Marrone is clearly holding him back because he has Henne on his fantasy team.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

To put it simple.

A. Allen has the physical tools to play in the NFL

B. He does not have the mental tools.

Thats the only reason why I believe he is not in the running.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(08-22-2017, 08:24 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: To put it simple.

A.  Allen has the physical tools to play in the NFL

B.  He does not have the mental tools.

I really hope Henne and Bortles suck it up Thurs and Allen lights it up.

He's a coaches son. If he doesn't have the mental tools who does? Like others are saying we have 2 below average QB's on the roster so why take up a roster spot without seeing what he can do in a real game? That just seems dumb on the coaches and management side.
No pain, no gain.

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2017, 09:29 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(08-22-2017, 09:24 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote:

He's a coaches son. If he doesn't have the mental tools who does? Like others are saying we have 2 below average QB's on the roster so why take up a roster spot without seeing what he can do in a real game? That just seems dumb on the coaches and management side.

Agreed.  Im so glad Henne is going against a defense like Car.

I have a feeling Allen will have a chip on his shoulder the next 2 games. Allen and Dede have a good chemistry already

Need to tank for Darnold. The entire FO is roasted...Bortles lmao...writing was on the wall in 2016

(08-22-2017, 09:33 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Need to tank for Darnold. The entire FO is roasted...Bortles lmao...writing was on the wall in 2016

Its looking like Matthrew Stafford will be a FA at season end.  Id rather just do what NO did with Brees.  We get Stafford and still have our high draft pick.  Brandon Allen learning behind Stafford would be great imo.  If we had Stafford this team could make some noise in the playoffs.

What makes you say it looks like Stafford will hit FA?

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2017, 02:05 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-22-2017, 08:12 PM)FBT Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 09:58 PM)nate Wrote: Perhaps he knows exactly what he has in Allen.

That couldn't possibly be the case. He's on a short leash.

Marrone knows nothing about quality quarterbacks.  Otherwise he'd have already announced Allen as the starter for life, and then called Canton to start crafting the bust.  Allen is that sneaky good.  I've seen football IQs, and his is at the tippy top.  Tom Brady calls him secretly for advice.

The notion that Allen can't do against 1st team defenses what he does against scrubs who will be out of the league in a couple of weeks is misguided.  Marrone is clearly holding him back because he has Henne on his fantasy team.

No one is saying Allen is going to be the next Tom Brady or even Andy Daulton. The thing is, we know what we have in Blake Bortles and Chad Henne and it isn't much. Why not at least try Allen with the first teamers in the preseason to see how he does? At this point, what is the downside? I don't see any. Watching him in practice and seeing him in a game situation are two different things. He's passed the test against the backups in the preseason, so why not give him a chance against better competition? It's not like those missed reps are gonna make Bortles or Henne any better.

(08-22-2017, 09:33 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Need to tank for Darnold. The entire FO is roasted...Bortles lmao...writing was on the wall in 2016

Really? That would be dumb. We don't even know if Darnold will be declaring and even if he does, there will be several franchise looking QB's available in the next draft. I don't wanna just roll over. Besides, given our QB situation, I don't see us finishing any higher than 6-10 or 7-9.

Quite the opposite. Allen was a 4 Star recruit from one of the top football HS's in the country, he attended every coaching academy money could buy. He has groomed his entire life for this. Allen lacks pure arm strength of the pro elites. He's our version of Dan Orlovsky