Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Marrone one and done?

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 09:09 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Did Marrone get put in like Roger Dorn to take a hit for a walked base? I am thinking that Tom came in and didn't really rock the boat, but is Marrone a lame duck HC? With Tom in charge, we could likely land a "big fish" next off season. Thoughts?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't know anymore man, I just want to win lol.

I don't think so. As long he handles this dumpster fire correctly

Two fricking preseason games with significant missing players...can we back off the ledge just a bit?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Nah... I think Caldwell is in trouble though...

Too early to tell. Like said, we're 2 preseason games in and some of our key starters were out last night. I think the first 3-4 games of the season will be very telling.

(08-18-2017, 09:00 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Did Marrone get put in like Roger Dorn to take a hit for a walked base? I am thinking that Tom came in and didn't really rock the boat, but is Marrone a lame duck HC? With Tom in charge, we could likely land a "big fish" next off season. Thoughts?

He shouldn't be.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(08-18-2017, 09:24 AM)Kane Wrote: Nah... I think Caldwell is in trouble though...

Why? Coughlin isn't here to replace him, he's here to groom him.

Tom Watson from IBM: Knowing that he was about to be fired, the employee typed up his letter of resignation, and handed it to Watson. Watson responded: “Fire you? I’ve just invested one million dollars in your education, and you think I’m going to fire you?”
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-18-2017, 09:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 09:24 AM)Kane Wrote: Nah... I think Caldwell is in trouble though...

Tom Watson from IBM: Knowing that he was about to be fired, the employee typed up his letter of resignation, and handed it to Watson. Watson responded: “Fire you? I’ve just invested one million dollars in your education, and you think I’m going to fire you?”

I think Caldwell was always tied to Bortles...
it seems Bortles' days are numbered.

(08-18-2017, 09:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Groom Caldwell? Say WHAT??

(08-18-2017, 09:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 09:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Why? Coughlin isn't here to replace him, he's here to groom him.

Yes, Caldwell is still here because Khan likes how the team is being run off the field. Coughlin is here to make sure the talent meshes on the field, you know, the part that's beyond Caldwell's control?

(08-18-2017, 09:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 09:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Why? Coughlin isn't here to replace him, he's here to groom him.

I think it was more to babysit Caldwell...

I think TC didn't allow Caldwell to make any QB changes this season and managed his selections a bit in the draft......
Caldwell is living and dying by the Bortles pick at this point...

He's done fairly well in mid to late round picks and was better than 50% on FAs...
But if Bortles couldn't turn it around I don't think Caldwell was sticking around to pick another first round QB...

That'll be on TC or if they decide, some other GM.

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 09:36 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(08-18-2017, 09:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 09:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Groom Caldwell? Say WHAT??

Yes, Caldwell is still here because Khan likes how the team is being run off the field. Coughlin is here to make sure the talent meshes on the field, you know, the part that's beyond Caldwell's control?

Caldwell is on the green mile. There is no way Khan is happy about anything this team is doing on or off the field outside of lining his pockets with cash. 

Coughlin is like the Bob's on Office Space. Caldwell already has a foot out the door IMO.

(08-18-2017, 09:33 AM)Kane Wrote:

I think TC didn't allow Caldwell to make any QB changes this season and managed his selections a bit in the draft......

He's done fairly well in mid to late round picks and was better than 50% on FAs...
But if Bortles couldn't turn it around I don't think Caldwell was sticking around to pick another first round QB...

Your shining light as a GM picking in the top 10 your entire tenure simply can't be "He's done fairly well in mid to late round picks". 

The mans entire 2013 draft isn't even on the roster for Christ's sake!

(08-18-2017, 09:34 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 09:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yes, Caldwell is still here because Khan likes how the team is being run off the field. Coughlin is here to make sure the talent meshes on the field, you know, the part that's beyond Caldwell's control?

Caldwell is on the green mile. There is no way Khan is happy about anything this team is doing on or off the field outside of lining his pockets with cash. 

Coughlin is like the Bob's on Office Space. Caldwell already has a foot out the door IMO.

(08-18-2017, 09:33 AM)Kane Wrote: I think it was more to babysit Caldwell...

Your shining light as a GM picking in the top 10 your entire tenure simply can't be "He's done fairly well in mid to late round picks". 

Even giving him 2013... which was bad for a lot of teams...

He hasn't been good enough, I agree there.

2015 is turning out to be almost as bad.....
Fowler, Yeldon, Cann, Sample, Greene, Bennett, Sterling, Koyack
Half of em on the bubble... one gone already... 2 more not living up to 1st and 2nd round status...

(08-18-2017, 09:45 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 09:34 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Caldwell is on the green mile. There is no way Khan is happy about anything this team is doing on or off the field outside of lining his pockets with cash. 

Even giving him 2013... which was bad for a lot of teams...

He hasn't been good enough, I agree there.

2015 is turning out to be almost as bad.....
Fowler, Yeldon, Cann, Sample, Greene, Bennett, Sterling, Koyack
Half of em on the bubble... one gone already... 2 more not living up to 1st and 2nd round status...

Wow, on that 2015 draft. Seeing it on paper really puts it in perspective.

Caldwell is arguably the worst GM in the entire league.

As much as I would like it to be so, I doubt it unless things completely implode. When he was hired as HC, I resigned myself to missing the playoffs for the next 3 years. That's just the reality.

(08-18-2017, 09:33 AM)Kane Wrote:

It was said when Coughlin was hired that he was here to hone Caldwell's skills and when Coughlin left, it would be all Caldwell again...I will try to find a link...

(08-18-2017, 10:36 AM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 09:33 AM)Kane Wrote: I think it was more to babysit Caldwell...

It was said when Coughlin was hired that he was here to hone Caldwell's skills and when Coughlin left, it would be all Caldwell again...I will try to find a link...

So, if you read into this, basically, they hired a GM and let him "learn" on his own for 4 years, then brought someone in to mentor him? The thought of this is absolutely disgusting.

@@Greggrosenthal Those 2 Bortles/Marrone games late in ’16 season could set Jags back a(nother) year

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 10:52 AM by wrong_box.)

(08-18-2017, 10:38 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 10:36 AM)wrong_box Wrote: It was said when Coughlin was hired that he was here to hone Caldwell's skills and when Coughlin left, it would be all Caldwell again...I will try to find a link...

So, if you read into this, basically, they hired a GM and let him "learn" on his own for 4 years, then brought someone in to mentor him? The thought of this is absolutely disgusting.

Everything I have read looking for a link to my post has stated that Mr. Khan is extremely  happy with the way Caldwell has shaped the roster it may have been on a video...But I distinctly remember it being said that Coughlin was here to "polish" or "hone" Caldwell's GM skills...That's not the same thing as mentor, or training from scratch...Everyone can learn something more from someone to better their skills