Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How SB Nation Profits Off An Army Of Exploited Workers (Big Cat Country)

After reading this I almost feel bad for the guys at BCC.  Then again, they don't seem to have an issue with post count.  Those guys seem to post a lot.

http://deadspin.com/how-sb-nation-profit...1797653841

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They've got a racket going, that's for sure!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I didn't read the whole thing, but why would anyone do that much work for a measly $600 a month? What's the catch?

(08-18-2017, 11:26 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I didn't read the whole thing, but why would anyone do that much work for a measly $600 a month? What's the catch?

That's a damn good question!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I guess alfie IS as dumb as he looks, lol.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

That article certainly explains the quantity of garbage they put out over there at BCC. It also explains the argumentative nature of them. Folks love to argue, arguing online means clicks, clicks mean revenue and maybe an extra ten bucks in the monthly stipend.

$600 a month? Laughing Laughing
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

People spend lots of time and effort here and in other online forums posting for free. A few of the posters here have occasionally written pieces that could be journalistic articles with a little or maybe even no additional professional editing. If $600 a month is the maximum of what they're getting awarded, it's clearly just a hobby they enjoy doing and not something they're worried about getting paid for. Or perhaps they see it as a stepping stone to an actual sports journalism career.

Either way, if they aren't technically employees and they aren't complaining about their circumstances, why is the author of this article making a fuss? (clicks perhaps?) And sorry if my comments were addressed in the article as it was a definite TLDR.

(08-18-2017, 11:26 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I didn't read the whole thing, but why would anyone do that much work for a measly $600 a month? What's the catch?

There is no catch.  The guys at BCC and in the Bold City Brigade have gained a certain local "fame" or notoriety.  In all honesty I haven't had the greatest experience with either.  Nothing too negative, but nothing that really made me embrace either.

Alfie basically took whatever he did at the message board and brought it there.  I don't think too many people here missed him.  For $600 split amongst a few people, it doesn't seem worth it.

This is not really a surprise. It's how most of these sites operate. They bring in contributors who are either not properly trained or credentialed to be journalists, give them a forum to write about something they're a fan of, and let them play journalist for a time. I don't fault anyone who does it like this. It's a way for fans to feel like they're part of something, and if they're good, and get enough hits on their stuff, they actually gain a following, and ultimately the credibility they crave (assuming what they're writing is accurate.

Most of the contributors write their stuff and post it for free. The site managers are always looking to bring in new content, regardless of the source, so you get a lot of garbage to filter through on many of these sites.. It's more about the click bait than anything else. A writer submits a crappy article, and the editor slaps a flashy headline on it to assure people will at least click on the site. The more hits they can generate, the more revenue they crank out for Vox or whoever runs their site.

There have been some pretty talented writers who have managed to wind up landing real gigs based on what they've compiled on sites like BR or SB Nation. The writers don't get paid, but they do benefit from the exposure and the opportunity to hone their skills. Getting better and building a following are the purpose with a goal of actually getting an opportunity to get paid to do what you love following this team or any other.

Most know and understand this going into it.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The "catch" is that these "writers" hope to catch on with ESPN.com NFL.com or some actual news site.

http://awfulannouncing.com/online-outlet...d-pay.html

Another interesting article in the same vein...

The one part I found interesting is the main guy who financed the site (his name escapes me) basically told one of the sites to trash the team and not to worry about getting credentialed.

I know for a long time it seemed like BCC was hoping to get credentials to many of the Jaguars events. Doesn't seem like that will happen.

(08-23-2017, 03:36 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: The one part I found interesting is the main guy who financed the site (his name escapes me) basically told one of the sites to trash the team and not to worry about getting credentialed.  

I know for a long time it seemed like BCC was hoping to get credentials to many of the Jaguars events. Doesn't seem like that will happen.

Alfie was inside the ropes for one training camp.  That was it as far as credentials go for BCC.

Like I said previously in these threads, outfits like SB Nation aren't concerned about professional writing.  They want volume because volume generates hits, and hits generate dollars.  So, credentials don't matter.  Writers are expected to crank out content, and build a following on the website.  This is the writer's opportunity to build a resume with the hope of parlaying that into a gig with a legitimate sports outlet (whatever that is these days).
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-23-2017, 04:07 PM)FBT Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 03:36 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: The one part I found interesting is the main guy who financed the site (his name escapes me) basically told one of the sites to trash the team and not to worry about getting credentialed.  

Alfie was inside the ropes for one training camp.  That was it as far as credentials go for BCC.

Like I said previously in these threads, outfits like SB Nation aren't concerned about professional writing.  They want volume because volume generates hits, and hits generate dollars.  So, credentials don't matter.  Writers are expected to crank out content, and build a following on the website.  This is the writer's opportunity to build a resume with the hope of parlaying that into a gig with a legitimate sports outlet (whatever that is these days).

Seems tough considering that may be a dying breed.  After watching the lay offs by major companies (ie ESPN) I'm not sure there are many legit opportunities out there.