Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Should Still Be Starter

In my opinion the most logical thing to do would be to let Blake play out this year.  I know, I know, that the majority of you are now saying he has to go and we need to start Henne.  I think it's absurd how so many of our fan base, and I'm sure other fan bases' do this as well, flip their opinions after every throw of every practice.  It was only a month or 2 ago that most of the fan base was saying that Henne should be cut and that Allen should just be moved up to #2.  Neither Henne or Allen are going to lead this team to the playoffs this year, sorry to break the news to you, and it would appear as if neither will Bortles.  However if we're going to be bad, lets be bad giving our #3 draft pick one more chance.  If he tanks, then we draft a quarterback in round 1 next year, possibly bring in a proven vet if there's one available via free agency, and let them all compete in a true competition. 

I know that this is hard to hear because we were all so primed once again from a seemingly successful offseason, but I believe that we still have too many holes other than just the quarterback on this team to be a playoff competitor. 

On another note, is it just me or does this offense seem to play much better when we spread the field a little bit and pick up the tempo.  I have thought for the last couple of years that our coordinators have seemed to combat what Blake and our offense does best by trying to slow the game down so much.  I get that we want to run the ball, but when we run on 1st down consistently for 1-2 yards, this hampers the offensive immensely.  This game is all about adjustments and adaptation.  If we can't run the ball, then we need to change our gameplan accordingly and mix it up a little bit more.  Also as long as this offensive line continues to play the way they have for the last 4 years, it doesn't matter who's taking the snaps, they'll struggle.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-18-2017, 12:32 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: In my opinion the most logical thing to do would be to let Blake play out this year.  I know, I know, that the majority of you are now saying he has to go and we need to start Henne.  I think it's absurd how so many of our fan base, and I'm sure other fan bases' do this as well, flip their opinions after every throw of every practice.  It was only a month or 2 ago that most of the fan base was saying that Henne should be cut and that Allen should just be moved up to #2.  Neither Henne or Allen are going to lead this team to the playoffs this year, sorry to break the news to you, and it would appear as if neither will Bortles.  However if we're going to be bad, lets be bad giving our #3 draft pick one more chance.  If he tanks, then we draft a quarterback in round 1 next year, possibly bring in a proven vet if there's one available via free agency, and let them all compete in a true competition. 

I know that this is hard to hear because we were all so primed once again from a seemingly successful offseason, but I believe that we still have too many holes other than just the quarterback on this team to be a playoff competitor. 

On another note, is it just me or does this offense seem to play much better when we spread the field a little bit and pick up the tempo.  I have thought for the last couple of years that our coordinators have seemed to combat what Blake and our offense does best by trying to slow the game down so much.  I get that we want to run the ball, but when we run on 1st down consistently for 1-2 yards, this hampers the offensive immensely.  This game is all about adjustments and adaptation.  If we can't run the ball, then we need to change our gameplan accordingly and mix it up a little bit more.  Also as long as this offensive line continues to play the way they have for the last 4 years, it doesn't matter who's taking the snaps, they'll struggle.

Blake, Henne, Allen, doesn't really matter. The team's best chance to actually win games would have been with Bortles playing like he did at the end of last season, but apparently somewhere along the way he lost his confidence.

Either way the one thing the Jaguars should not do is get desperate and trade for another team's trash. You're not going to get Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers in a trade, you're going to get Matt Flynn or Blaine Gabbert. Just save the picks for the next GM. Rode it out. Don't let another team screw the Jaguars even more than they already are.

What if he gets hurt?

Exactly. Blake has proven that when he's on his game, he should be the starter of this team. If we're going to struggle this year, unfortunately there is no quick fix for this year either. If I was in charge of the scouting department for this team, i.e. Dave Caldwell, I would have my scouts looking at quarterbacks pretty much all day until the 2018 draft.

(08-18-2017, 12:42 PM)OJagzfanfromiowa Wrote: Exactly.  Blake has proven that when he's on his game, he should be the starter of this team.  If we're going to struggle this year, unfortunately there is no quick fix for this year either.  If I was in charge of the scouting department for this team, i.e. Dave Caldwell, I would have my scouts looking at quarterbacks pretty much all day until the 2018 draft.

Again, what if he gets hurt? You gotta consider the entire picture.

Why do these posts have to have new threads. Why can't ideas just come under the old Bortles threads.. it doesn't need a new thread every time someone has an idea of how to move forward.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(08-18-2017, 12:32 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: In my opinion the most logical thing to do would be to let Blake play out this year.  I know, I know, that the majority of you are now saying he has to go and we need to start Henne.  I think it's absurd how so many of our fan base, and I'm sure other fan bases' do this as well, flip their opinions after every throw of every practice.  It was only a month or 2 ago that most of the fan base was saying that Henne should be cut and that Allen should just be moved up to #2.  Neither Henne or Allen are going to lead this team to the playoffs this year, sorry to break the news to you, and it would appear as if neither will Bortles.  However if we're going to be bad, lets be bad giving our #3 draft pick one more chance.  If he tanks, then we draft a quarterback in round 1 next year, possibly bring in a proven vet if there's one available via free agency, and let them all compete in a true competition. 

As a Titans fan, I'd love nothing better.  As an objective NFL fan, your biggest issue is if Blake plays bad or even mediocre and then gets hurt.  The Jags will bend over and take a $19 million enema next year.  Even the most hardcore Bortles supporters would agree he's not worth anywhere near that.  Not worth the risk IMO.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 01:04 PM by Jagzfanfromiowa.)

We have so much money too spend, and it will go up next year, that the money doesn't matter. I don't know why everyone is ALWAYS so concerned about spending SHAD'S money. The money WILL NOT matter. Go to overthecap.com. We currently have $44 MILLION DOLLARS OF CAP SPACE. I'm so tired of people arguing about things that don't matter. These are facts. You can't argue against them. We will have plenty of cap space regardless. We can resign Telvin and A-Rob to new deals and still have plenty of cap space to give Bortles $19 million.

Allen

I like your logic. Gives the Jags the best chance to draft Josh Rosen.

Logical thing to do would be to throw stacks at Kirk Cousins and then draft Darnold or Rudolph round 1.

What's the over/under on how many games Blake plays before getting benched and bubble wrapped to protect him from injury? I'd say 4. He'll be the starter week 1 and should be. If he puts up 3 stinkers to start the season though, you have to assume that the FO will make a business decision and protect themselves from having to shell out $19 mil next year for a guy they, at that point, would have no plans with going forward.

I agree.....
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(08-18-2017, 01:03 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: Logical thing to do would be to throw stacks at Kirk Cousins and then draft Darnold or Rudolph round 1.

I love the idea about drafting Darnold or Rudolph. Both those guys are currently very high on my list, but I have one problem with throwing stacks of money at Kirk Cousins. While I really like Cousins, we've spent a ton of money on defensive free agents over the past two seasons and pretty soon the bill for those acquisitions is gonna come in the mail, as those contracts were heavily payable in the 2nd and 3rd years. We're not gonna have the same amount of cap money that we've had in the past. Paying Cousins his asking price would likely put us over the cap.

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2017, 10:23 AM by Jags32250.)

The money will eventually run out, we need that 19 mil to ex-wife a lot of our own. Really silly to argue the $s don't matter.

Haha I tried to write re sign but it changed it to ex wife. I think I like that better, leaving it.

(08-18-2017, 12:56 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: We have so much money too spend, and it will go up next year, that the money  doesn't matter.  I don't know why everyone is ALWAYS so concerned about spending SHAD'S money.  The money WILL NOT matter.   Go to overthecap.com.  We currently have $44 MILLION DOLLARS OF CAP SPACE.  I'm so tired of people arguing about things that don't matter.  These are facts.  You can't argue against them.  We will have plenty of cap space regardless.  We can resign Telvin and A-Rob to new deals and still have plenty of cap space to give Bortles $19 million.

I went to overthecap.com. You must have been looking at the 2017 numbers, because in 2018, we only have $8 million in cap space. That's hardly anything.

What would. be typical Jaguars is that they play Blake, he tears an ACL in week 15 and his $19 M salary is guaranteed in 2018, so we waste money that could be spent on a free agent QB on a player who is worthless and hurt.  Brilliant idea!

The smart thing to do is cut Blake this year and admit it was a mistake drafting him (and hiring Caldwell).  Suck in 2017 and draft a QB in 2018.

(08-19-2017, 12:27 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:

What would. be typical Jaguars is that they play Blake, he tears an ACL in week 15 and his $19 M salary is guaranteed in 2018, so we waste money that could be spent on a free agent QB on a player who is worthless and hurt.  Brilliant idea!

The smart thing to do is cut Blake this year and admit it was a mistake drafting him (and hiring Caldwell).  Suck in 2017 and draft a QB in 2018.

..and pray that the QB drafted in 2018 is ready to start in the NFL, of course.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

[Image: chad-henne-jaguars.jpg]

The jags are in a win now state. If bortles continues to suck he's done.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(08-19-2017, 10:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 12:56 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: We have so much money too spend, and it will go up next year, that the money  doesn't matter.  I don't know why everyone is ALWAYS so concerned about spending SHAD'S money.  The money WILL NOT matter.   Go to overthecap.com.  We currently have $44 MILLION DOLLARS OF CAP SPACE.  I'm so tired of people arguing about things that don't matter.  These are facts.  You can't argue against them.  We will have plenty of cap space regardless.  We can resign Telvin and A-Rob to new deals and still have plenty of cap space to give Bortles $19 million.

I went to overthecap.com. You must have been looking at the 2017 numbers, because in 2018, we only have $8 million in cap space. That's hardly anything.

That's not counting the 44 million in cap space we'll roll over to next season.