Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Should Still Be Starter

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 08:28 AM by WingerDinger.)

We cant win the damn SB with ANY of the QB's we have.. Cut the crap.. The best we can hope for is we don't run Fournette into the ground after one season, so he has a chance to play with our new QB next season.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-19-2017, 09:23 PM)archer56 Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 07:34 PM)uthill Wrote: What has he shown that it's possible?
What did the Carolina panthers show the world that they could go 15-1? 

they sucked for three years up to that season.

So you think Blake is as good as Cam? Might want to take off them teal glasses.

He will be.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

In my opinion, the only way this team becomes a consistent winner is to acquire a top QB in the draft. The only way to acquire a top QB in the draft is to be pick 1 or 2 in the 2018 draft. If the Jags keep being just mediocre enough to be picking 5-10, they'll never get that guy. The Colts recognized this fact when they tanked their season and drafted Luck. So, play Allen for 16 games, tank the season and get that star QB. After a couple Super Bowl wins, the fan base will forget 2017.

We got one of the top QB's in the draft when we drafted Blake.. The trick is to pick the one that's gonna pan out.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(08-20-2017, 09:20 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: We got one of the top QB's in the draft when we drafted Blake.. The trick is to pick the one that's gonna pan out.

I'm not saying that picking the right top QB is always easy, it isn't.  But I'm not ready to give Dave any slack whatsoever for the Blake pick as a "top QB".  I scratched my head when he did it, really hoped I was somehow missing something (apparently I wasn't) because Blake was clearly a QB that was going to have to somehow be taught how to throw a football to play at an NFL level (not just the "tweaks and tune ups" that even the best get, but kind of a page 1 re-write)  --- among other things.  Huge red flag risk, off the chart ridiculous at that high of a pick, for a franchise that had already sucked as a bottom feeder for more than a half decade.  To add insult to injury, they literally had Carr one-on-one in their face for over a week and still made that choice!  So his big gamble failed, it's time to relieve Blake, and it's time to dismiss Caldwell as well for this and a string of other fire-able offenses that have caused this train wreck.

(08-19-2017, 06:27 PM)the Chiefjag Wrote: Not proposing to start Henne, but I'll tell you what winning 8 games does. It energizes the fan base and sells tickets. It's been a LOOOOONG time since we've been .500 and I, for one, would love to get excited about Sundays again.

I don't know what the coaches are seeing in practice but I have to believe they are going to play whomever is doing the best job regardless of contract.

In the end, the game is entertainment. I'll be forever grateful to be entertained again.

Regards.................the Chiefjag

This right here!! Well said sir!
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(08-20-2017, 09:20 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: We got one of the top QB's in the draft when we drafted Blake.. The trick is to pick the one that's gonna pan out.

When Blake came out almost no one here was talking about taking him #3 and while there were rumors that the Texans were considering him instead of Clowney most of the consideration for him here was as a guy you take outside of the first round to develop.

Of course after 2015 taking him seemed like a genius move. The luster is off a bit, but it looks a lot more like his problems are mental over physical, so if the Jaguars give up on him who knows what happens to him. Maybe he goes and backs up Rodgers or Brady for a few years then comes back a competent QB, or maybe he never recovers and is out of football in a few years, or just maybe he recovers here and goes on to start for a while.

We'll have to wait and see.

Two words...Lamar Jackson
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-20-2017, 08:22 AM)myrick31 Wrote: You cant win a Super Bowl with Chad Henne, throw Blake out there and hope he can get it together.

Blake is beyond hope. His performance in two preseason games are obvious examples that he is in over his head.

Last THU's preseason game was reminiscent of bygone years.  I was so disappointed by the lack of effort on both the D line and O line.  Bortles needs to get help from a Sports Psychologist, right now he's in such a bad place.

Today, I do not believe the players feel they can win with Bortles at QB.  To be two games into the preseason and see the ineptness of QB play is inexcusable.   Had higher expectations from TC.

(08-20-2017, 11:33 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

When Blake came out almost no one here was talking about taking him #3 and while there were rumors that the Texans were considering him instead of Clowney most of the consideration for him here was as a guy you take outside of the first round to develop.

Of course after 2015 taking him seemed like a genius move. The luster is off a bit, but it looks a lot more like his problems are mental over physical, so if the Jaguars give up on him who knows what happens to him. Maybe he goes and backs up Rodgers or Brady for a few years then comes back a competent QB, or maybe he never recovers and is out of football in a few years, or just maybe he recovers here and goes on to start for a while.

I stand by my view that he can't throw well enough, never could (including 2015 fools gold) and never will.. it was the flag when he was drafted too. Other issues as well, mental, but the physical throwing inability at an NFL level isn't going away.

To me it is really simple. BB5 possesses an upside. We have witnessed it. The Chenne does not. We have also witnessed that.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(08-20-2017, 11:33 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

It's true that the majority of Blake's problems are mental right now. However, he has never been able to throw good long balls and his touch, especially on fades in the endzone, is terrible. Yes, many fans (including me), were excited about his future after the 2015 season due to his high statistical ratings in yards passing and touchdowns. Once we were able to step back and analyze this, these rankings were due to "garbage time" stats when defenses were in "prevent mode." This is when Blake has performed best. Part of it is because he is in hurry-up mode and doesn't think nearly as much. 

Personally, I hope Blake does get picked up by another team like Gabbert did with the 49er's. He seems like a decent guy and the bashing (by media and fans) can't be easy. However, Blake would be the 1st to say that his poor performance is the cause of this. Fortunately, he should be financially set for life even if he's not picked up by a better team. I predict he probably will be, but he will never be more than a back-up due to his mental limitations on the field. He is not the first q.b. to suffer that fate and will definitely not be the last.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 12:10 PM by knarnn.)

(08-20-2017, 12:06 PM)Jagwired Wrote: To me it is really simple. BB5 possesses an upside. We have witnessed it. The Chenne does not. We have also witnessed that.

It's going to suck when he hooks up with an Andy Reid/Haurbaugh type coach who can get the best out of their QBs and he goes on to be a better Alex Smith.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-20-2017, 12:09 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 12:06 PM)Jagwired Wrote: To me it is really simple. BB5 possesses an upside. We have witnessed it. The Chenne does not. We have also witnessed that.

It's going to suck when he hooks up with an Andy Reid/Haurbaugh type coach who can get the best out of their QBs and he goes on to be a better Alex Smith.

I don't think that will ever happen but if it did so what?  The Jags have shown they can't get Blake to improve!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 12:49 PM by keeper88.)

(08-20-2017, 12:09 PM)knarnn Wrote:

Those guys are good qb developers and mentors, for sure, but they shouldn't be confused as magicians who can make anyone physically throw a ball at an NFL level.

None with either. What is the BB upside?  That he can lob a wabbly ball down field frequently when the game isn't on the line, against soft defenses in a very special season (against some historically crap schedule circumstances btw) and get a bunch of very special circus act jump ball catches?  That's not gonna repeat itself very often, if at all.  Or is it that he has shown he can learn and dissect NFL defenses?  Really?  I know it looks like I'm bashing the guy, I'm just tired of the years of denial, and sucking.  I think he's a good guy in a tough spot with the weight of Jacksonville on him.   I suspect he's set $$$ for life and hope he moves on to a great, likely non-NFL, career. But groundhogs day here has to end, no?

Upside is a term that is used to describe potential.  At this point in his career, Blake has achieved whatever potential he has.  So any "upside" at this point is just more of the same inconsistency we've already seen.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 03:50 PM by JAXsonVIL.)

(08-20-2017, 11:52 AM)knarnn Wrote: Two words...Lamar Jackson

I believe Coughlin favors traditional passers. Therefore, Jacksons innacuracy and slight build might turn him off. I see Coughlin as more of a Rosen/Rudolph guy.

The only QB with "upside" on the roster is Allen.

The guy can't throw. He is awful. He's in his own head. He is done.