Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kapernick the perfect fit for this team

(08-22-2017, 04:31 AM)iapetus Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 01:47 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I would be beyond shocked if the Jags signed Kaepernick.  This isn't the market for him, but if they did sign him or someone else to come in and start, why would you keep Bortles on the roster?  If you know Bortles isn't the guy, why chance an injury and $19 million guaranteed next year?  

If he's not the starter going into the season it's quite possible, probable even, that the team just cuts bait and moves on without him.

Because you might not have given up on him entirely, but think he needs to sit for a year if he has any chance of recovering confidence and having one last shot. If you bring someone else in as the eventual starter, Henne and Bortles are basically the same guy as backup (you don't want them starting, but they'd do for a game or two). If Kaepernick starts, one of those two is gone. If the team really believes Bortles still has a chance, it should be Bortles. If they're both lost causes, then Henne is at least cheaper. Either way you'd be wanting to bring in a high pick QB in the next draft.
Well this is a dumb idea.

Sit a 4 year vet for confidence issues? Lol

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If they were gonna sign Kap, they should have done it last Friday.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Thank god they're not bringing that idiot distraction here
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Wallbash Wallbash Wallbash and some more Wallbash Wallbash
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

On the bright side, if Jags sign Kaepernick we would most likely be flexed into a prime time game. Media loves this kind of stuff.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2017, 08:50 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

(08-22-2017, 03:22 AM)BritJag Wrote: Makes you wonder why they even picked up the 5th year option in the first place. A curious off season it has been.

So Meister, to you, the days of Bortles in Jacksonville are really really numbered? You are in essence saying that if he doesn't win the job on Thursday he could be on his way out by final cuts?  A telling but sad thought.

Too many uncertainties. We can all agree that we didn't secure the coveted off season championship trophy this year. A sign of big things for 2017. We are going to surprise the league. Watch.

Indeed, I was pretty vocal about the team not picking up his option for several reasons but was ok with it when they did because I understood why.  It was for flexibility on ARob.  However, who could have imagined that Bortles might lose the starting job going into week 1 to Henne or somebody on the street?  If that happens, the 5th year option makes cutting Bortles the smart thing to do versus had we not picked it up he could have still been the back up in his final year here and if he was forced to come back into the starting line up for whatever reason he would have had that one last opportunity to make us tag him next year.  The 5th year option in this scenario is providing us with less flexibility on Bortles.  It's also made him untradeable because who in their right mind would trade to evaluate him knowing that if he gets injured you're paying him $19 million next year.

Regardless, if he loses the starting gig, the likelihood of him ever being the guy here is almost nil.  But the lesson here is: flexibility regarding your QB trumps flexibility on your WR and the franchise tag gives you more flexibility than the 5th year option.  Only if Blake had played well this year would we have lost the flexibility on ARob and Blake playing well enough to get tagged would have been a good problem to have.

You just have to wonder who is making these decisions.  I get that the buck stops with Coughlin, but did he make the mistake or agree with the decision or is he letting Caldwell hang himself to get him out of here?  I'm sure we'll never know, but that won't stop people here from pretending they do.

(08-22-2017, 07:51 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Thank god they're not bringing that idiot distraction here

This.
He isn't very good, in fact, he was benched for Blaine Gabbert. He is a serious distraction. He is the personification of what is unacceptable in Jacksonville. He is also disingenuous as I doubt he has ever lifted a finger to actually do anything positive about what he was 'supposedly' protesting. His irresponsible action of not standing for the national anthem (which I think was not motivated for any good moral reason) has influenced other more impressionable individuals to follow his lead. 

In my humble opinion, he isn't what we need or want in J'ville. I can't believe that they ever would, but if the Jags did bring him here, it would be a complete wash for me as far as being a Jags fan.

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2017, 09:23 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(08-22-2017, 03:22 AM)BritJag Wrote: Makes you wonder why they even picked up the 5th year option in the first place. A curious off season it has been.

So Meister, to you, the days of Bortles in Jacksonville are really really numbered? You are in essence saying that if he doesn't win the job on Thursday he could be on his way out by final cuts?  A telling but sad thought.

Too many uncertainties. We can all agree that we didn't secure the coveted off season championship trophy this year. A sign of big things for 2017. We are going to surprise the league. Watch.

This is the same GM that extended Gus Bradley a year in advance even though he had a 12-36 record at that time.  We ended up firing Gus a year early so they essentially at the extension $alary Wallbash

(08-22-2017, 08:44 AM)Jagwired Wrote: There are not a lot of things this team could do that would make us not attend games. Signing Kap would definitely be one of them.

Us?? I would still attend games.

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2017, 09:28 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

There's something to be said about losing with integrity.  I mean, even if we are the worst team (by far) in the recent decade, at least we can hold our head up high knowing we did it with pretty good looking QB's that walked the straight and narrow path that Jag Fan requires.

Lol .... I recall, after the Big Ben incident, posting a topic of whether Jag Fan would be interested in bring him in if the Rooney's cut him ... the response was a resounding NO.   Cry

(08-22-2017, 09:18 AM)StitchJones Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 07:51 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Thank god they're not bringing that idiot distraction here

This.
He isn't very good, in fact, he was benched for Blaine Gabbert. He is a serious distraction. He is the personification of what is unacceptable in Jacksonville. He is also disingenuous as I doubt he has ever lifted a finger to actually do anything positive about what he was 'supposedly' protesting. His irresponsible action of not standing for the national anthem (which I think was not motivated for any good moral reason) has influenced other more impressionable individuals to follow his lead. 

In my humble opinion, he isn't what we need or want in J'ville. I can't believe that they ever would, but if the Jags did bring him here, it would be a complete wash for me as far as being a Jags fan.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion about the merits of his protest, but to say he isn't doing anything is factually incorrect.

(08-22-2017, 03:12 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 06:58 PM)B2hibry Wrote: All of it.

So you think Gabbert actually beat him out in camp?

Not "think", he was in fact benched for Gabbert. Did you see Kaep play before benching? It was embarrassingly bad. He was beat out, then had several surgeries that kept him from seeing the field again. The 49ers tried to release him but couldn't because of the NFL rule that states those recovering from injury can't be released before April 1. Kaep requested a trade shortly after. Guess what, no takers. And here we are once again...Kaep has no takers. Many football sites to include PFF had Kaep ranked at the bottom of QB rankings. Face it; the dude is just not good or remotely consistent QB. To have just a bit of success, the system must be built around him, and frankly, it doesn't take long to burst that bubble.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I would welcome this move

Please, dear God, let this just be a rumor...
[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

It is hilarious at the people who think signing him will be some kind of big disaster. This team is already a mess at the QB position. Any kind of help is needed.
Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

To be fair, Kaep didn't start because he was recovering from surgery. Problem was he chose a vegan diet so his weight dropped substantially and he couldn't put the weight back on quickly enough to get back on the field. He may have been on the field quicker, but he chose (at the negative affect of the team) to continue being a vegan. I get that you have your convictions, but when you are being paid millions of dollars sometimes you have to suck it up for the team.

I believe Kaep would probably be better than both Bortles and Henne and all along I have said otherwise, at least with Bortles. Problem is Kaep brings a side show and it goes a lot further than the flag thing. He says too many dumb things where he is ill informed. He may mean well, but he comes off dumb. Also, if he continues being a vegan and gets hurt who is to say that a 4 week injury doesn't turn into 8? Why would a team want a guy that is only going to hurt a team more with the choices he makes?

(08-22-2017, 10:30 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: To be fair, Kaep didn't start because he was recovering from surgery.  Problem was he chose a vegan diet so his weight dropped substantially and he couldn't put the weight back on quickly enough to get back on the field.  He may have been on the field quicker, but he chose (at the negative affect of the team) to continue being a vegan.  I get that you have your convictions, but when you are being paid millions of dollars sometimes you have to suck it up for the team.

I believe Kaep would probably be better than both Bortles and Henne and all along I have said otherwise, at least with Bortles.  Problem is Kaep brings a side show and it goes a lot further than the flag thing.  He says too many dumb things where he is ill informed.  He may mean well, but he comes off dumb.  Also, if he continues being a vegan and gets hurt who is to say that a 4 week injury doesn't turn into 8?  Why would a team want a guy that is only going to hurt a team more with the choices he makes?

YEP, opting out of a $17 million dollar annual salary pretty much solidifies his extreme lack of intelligence.

(08-22-2017, 12:39 AM)Tuxedo Wrote:

There's also an instagram post from a verified account that says we've signed Kaepernick. Apparently it's someone who is close with players since Dez Bryant follows them.

OK .... so all you need to do is repeat stuff that is TV and Online and make up a few things from time to time in order to get 3,000+ followers on Twitter ?

I just feel like he doesn't offer much - and the timing of shoe-horning him into a QB competition is really horrible in preseason week 3.

While I'd still attend games w/o any second thought, I know there are at least a few thousand folks that wouldn't.
That's a problem to the team's stability in Jax -- and I don't like anything that contributes to a lack of stability in the franchise.

I also think this tweet/IG stuff is baseless rumor anyway.

Appears to be totally bogus report. Moving to Kap thread in NFL