Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Columbus Day

As an Italian American, I'm very disappointed on this latest report that a council in Ohio is trying to abolish Columbus Day and take down a'll statues. Heard on the radio this morning that our terrible mayor is trying to do the same thing here in NYC. 

When will it stop? These liberals won't stop until they rewrite this country's history. Why not take MLK statue down as well since he hated all homosexuals.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.c...o.amp.html

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-23-2017, 11:11 AM)BklynJag Wrote: As an Italian American, I'm very disappointed on this latest report that a council in Ohio is trying to abolish Columbus Day and take down a'll statues. Heard on the radio this morning that our terrible mayor is trying to do the same thing here in NYC. 

When will it stop? These liberals won't stop until they rewrite this country's history. Why not take MLK statue down as well since he hated all homosexuals.

Well at least they are gaining some consistency. 

They need to remove it as a holiday and make everyone go to work and school too.

I'm all for removing MLKs statue... He was a communist and a womanizer....

Tear down all false idols...

oh wait... are liberals turning into crazy Christians?

lulz

(08-23-2017, 11:48 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 11:11 AM)BklynJag Wrote: As an Italian American, I'm very disappointed on this latest report that a council in Ohio is trying to abolish Columbus Day and take down a'll statues. Heard on the radio this morning that our terrible mayor is trying to do the same thing here in NYC. 

They need to remove it as a holiday and make everyone go to work and school too.

lulz

Nope, ISIS and the Taliban. We got all the extremist religious zealotry from people who claim they aren't religious. It would be laughingly ironic if it weren't so damned dangerous.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

lulz

Why is it different now than let's say for the past 8 years?

Hopefully, MR. LABOR didn't do anything wrong, I'm really looking forward to the upcoming 3-day weekend.

I'm sure Kristopher KKKlombus was a racist too.. If not, he'll be made into one soon.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

lulz

No, they're turning into the American version of the Taliban or ISIS.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The American Taliban/ISIS Strikes again

Christopher Columbus monument in Baltimore smashed to combat ‘white supremacy’

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017...e-smashed/
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2017, 04:46 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I thought you all would be in favor of taking down the Columbus statues and abolishing Columbus Day.  After all, didn't he come from another country and speak his native Spanish while residing in the US ?   That alone would should be enough to get the Trumpsters to re-light their torches   Laughing

I could care less, just don't take away my day off if you know what's good for you.

(08-23-2017, 04:43 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I thought you all would be in favor of taking down the Columbus statues and abolishing Columbus Day.  After all, didn't he come from another country and speak his native Spanish while residing in the US ?   That alone would should be enough to get the Trumpsters to re-light their torches   Laughing

Columbus was Spanish?

Seriously?

(08-23-2017, 02:07 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Hopefully, MR. LABOR didn't do anything wrong, I'm really looking forward to the upcoming 3-day weekend.

Classic lefty nonsense, let's celebrate organized labor by taking the day off!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-23-2017, 05:40 PM)TJBender Wrote: I could care less, just don't take away my day off if you know what's good for you.

Day off? Not here in the South, buddy. Here it's for Lee and Jackson.

There were never enough Italians to curry favor with in the South.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(08-23-2017, 07:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 04:43 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I thought you all would be in favor of taking down the Columbus statues and abolishing Columbus Day.  After all, didn't he come from another country and speak his native Spanish while residing in the US ?   That alone would should be enough to get the Trumpsters to re-light their torches   Laughing

Columbus was Spanish?

Seriously?

(08-23-2017, 02:07 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Hopefully, MR. LABOR didn't do anything wrong, I'm really looking forward to the upcoming 3-day weekend.

Columbus being a Spaniard is not a fact. Mere speculation IIRC, financed by the Spaniards would be the fact.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2017, 06:31 AM by Caldrac.)

We should just do away with everything to be fair to everybody. Let's abolish every national holiday, let's ignore all classic and traditional holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years. Fair is fair. Since people can no longer handle educating themselves and others about the non safe spaces of our history since humanity developed the ability to make weapons and navigate the Globe or Flat Earth. Whatever the hell you want to believe in.

It's been difficult for me lately to see eye to eye with all of my friends and family on these issues. Because in my eyes it's a non issue. We're raising a generation of snowflakes that feel self entitled to everything and anything without putting anything and everything into their work or the foundation of our Country.

I can see why the left is getting bullied and picked on. They have a lot of illogical bull [BLEEP] on their side of the aisle right now. That's not me saying they're all like that. But good God they need an enema or a flood of epic proportions to clean that [BLEEP] up or out. I know a lot of people classify Trump as a Republican. I don't. I don't see that in him, at least not yet. I am hoping that's a trend down the road. Less left and right. Less alt left and alt right. More common sense and logic in the future. Hopefully.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Oberlin is a little hippy town west of Cleveland, they have a bunch of goofy laws up there.

Everybody in the state is starting to rag on them after this headline grab.

(08-24-2017, 06:31 AM)Caldrac Wrote: We should just do away with everything to be fair to everybody. Let's abolish every national holiday, let's ignore all classic and traditional holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years. Fair is fair. Since people can no longer handle educating themselves and others about the non safe spaces of our history since humanity developed the ability to make weapons and navigate the Globe or Flat Earth. Whatever the hell you want to believe in.

It's been difficult for me lately to see eye to eye with all of my friends and family on these issues. Because in my eyes it's a non issue. We're raising a generation of snowflakes that feel self entitled to everything and anything without putting anything and everything into their work or the foundation of our Country.

I can see why the left is getting bullied and picked on. They have a lot of illogical bull [BLEEP] on their side of the aisle right now. That's not me saying they're all like that. But good God they need an enema or a flood of epic proportions to clean that [BLEEP] up or out. I know a lot of people classify Trump as a Republican. I don't. I don't see that in him, at least not yet. I am hoping that's a trend down the road. Less left and right. Less alt left and alt right. More common sense and logic in the future. Hopefully.

Great post !!!

(08-23-2017, 09:07 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 07:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Columbus was Spanish?

Seriously?

Columbus being a Spaniard is not a fact. Mere speculation IIRC, financed by the Spaniards would be the fact.

C'mon now, it's NOT speculation that a man born in Genoa was not Spanish.

(08-24-2017, 06:31 AM)Caldrac Wrote: We should just do away with everything to be fair to everybody. Let's abolish every national holiday, let's ignore all classic and traditional holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years. Fair is fair. Since people can no longer handle educating themselves and others about the non safe spaces of our history since humanity developed the ability to make weapons and navigate the Globe or Flat Earth. Whatever the hell you want to believe in.

You know - your line of "we're raising generation of snowflakes" can be turned around to "we've in the past raised a generation of cowards who think whatever came before them cannot be questioned".

Questioning seems very American to me. Why are you afraid of offending the Daughters of the Confederacy or whomever?

Why do so many people show so much fear that someone somewhere suggested something?
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Besides being Italian, Columbus was dead long before there was a US, or even an English colony in the Western Hemisphere. Not to mention he never actually set foot on continental US soil (he did land in Puerto Rico, but that's only partly US).

And the torch wielders are to Trump as ISIS sympathizers are to the Dems. Both are a small minority of extremists picking the closest side to their cause.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2017, 12:47 PM by Caldrac.)

(08-24-2017, 12:08 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:

You know - your line of "we're raising generation of snowflakes" can be turned around to "we've in the past raised a generation of cowards who think whatever came before them cannot be questioned".

Questioning seems very American to me. Why are you afraid of offending the Daughters of the Confederacy or whomever?

Why do so many people show so much fear that someone somewhere suggested something?

I question a ton of things. I hate our political system. Make no mistake. I have next to no faith in it.

I am not afraid of offending anyone either. I just think it's ridiculous with these demands and ideas.

That, somehow by abolishing, hiding, altering or changing monuments, flags, culture and the names of things somehow changes the past or history of it's existence or it's condition, etc.

To me it's like tapping out. People would rather hide the ugly truth and not talk about it anymore instead of having a solid and educated argument or healthy debate over it. To better understand and learn from history. That's my biggest issue with these "ideas" and "suggestions".

It's just a dangerous territory to get into. I also look at it from a creative and inspirational view point as well. Sure, it's sad that America was discovered and the Native Americans slowly but surely and little by little lost everything. I understand that completely. It's an ugly truth. Am I sympathetic about it? Sure. To an extent. Because I have a love of history and culture. Especially when it's beyond my Country. The reality is that I can find you books and pages upon pages of these very same atrocious acts, genocides, slavery, servitude, etc. all around the world for you for every single race that's been known to man.

No particular race is absolved or innocent of these acts. Not white people. Not black people. Not middle eastern people. Not spanish people. Not asian people. Doesn't matter if you're a resident in a different country from whatever means or still there at your supposed "natural birth place" or "motherland". We've all been through some [BLEEP]. Europe was built on the backs of poor white people at the bidding and dominance of rich white people. Same can be said in parts of Asia, Egypt, Africa and various other regions of the world that were dominated by long standing families of "royalty" with the same exact skin tone as those that they considered beneath them. The world doesn't owe you for something that happened long before you were a sperm in your dad's nutsack or an egg waiting to be fertilized in your mom's belly.

BUT. Here's the catch. You must learn how to take in the good with the bad and the ugly. And you must learn how to be thankful for what you have instead of dwelling on the past for better or worse. I have Minorcan blood in my veins from my mother's side. I had ancestors here before the country was even the great USA we've come to know today. They were treated like [BLEEP] and were sometimes shackled by ball and chain to colonize parts of Florida when they tried to escape the horrible conditions they were faced with. 

I am thankful for what they suffered through though. I wouldn't be here today without that happening. Live and let live man. People see the ugly of what happened with Columbus but he's still an inspiration to those who wish to navigate and explore the seas today. To take a chance and embrace the unknown world. Without him you wouldn't have had someone like say Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."