Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hurns on the Trade Block?

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2017, 09:54 AM by Caldrac.)

(08-24-2017, 08:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 08:08 AM)Caldrac Wrote: There may actually be something to this. Lageman said earlier this week on the Jaguars Today show that he doesn't think Hurns is a lock to make this team. And he doesn't believe he's worth that $7M - $10M cap hit right now. They may want to either move him away or at least rework his contract that benefits the team and cap more than it does his pockets.

Which I agree with. He had a good rookie year. A solid 2015 campaign (mostly due to garbage time, same as Robinson in 2015) and then he was dinged up a lot in 2016. But, if the front office feels they can get away with Robinson, Lee and now Westbrook and potentially Cole. You really don't need to keep Hurns around at that price tag.

And, if you can flip his contract along with the fact that he was undrafted and you can get a solid player of equal or better value at a position of need in addition to a draft pick. I say go for it.

Where's the possession receiver in that mix? I don't see one.

Hurns has 150 career receptions on 278 career targets
Robinson has 201 career receptions on 383 career targets
Lee has 115 career receptions on 206 career targets 

I don't see Hurns as a "possession" receiver. A lot of these guys are plenty capable of running crossing routes across the middle of the field and converting 3rd downs. Lee especially fits that role with more speed and open field ability compared to Hurns who honestly comes off as stiff and a poor man's Keyshawn Johnson. 

It's also not like Hurns is some perfect pass catcher either. He's been known to drop passes as well. We don't really know what we have until the accuracy improves at the QB position in all honesty.

(08-24-2017, 09:23 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 08:08 AM)Caldrac Wrote: There may actually be something to this. Lageman said earlier this week on the Jaguars Today show that he doesn't think Hurns is a lock to make this team. And he doesn't believe he's worth that $7M - $10M cap hit right now. They may want to either move him away or at least rework his contract that benefits the team and cap more than it does his pockets.

Which I agree with. He had a good rookie year. A solid 2015 campaign (mostly due to garbage time, same as Robinson in 2015) and then he was dinged up a lot in 2016. But, if the front office feels they can get away with Robinson, Lee and now Westbrook and potentially Cole. You really don't need to keep Hurns around at that price tag.

And, if you can flip his contract along with the fact that he was undrafted and you can get a solid player of equal or better value at a position of need in addition to a draft pick. I say go for it.

Not a lock to make this team? Lol, he is guaranteed his whole salary this year 7 mil.  He will def. make the team. Hurns is our most clutch player on the team.  At least Hurns has to get his head taken off before he misses a game or gets burnt.  Not so much for Lee.  Not to mention Lee will probably try to get about 10mil a year alsi

Don't shoot the messenger.  Big Grin

I am just relaying what I heard come out of Jeff Lageman's mouth on Tuesday during the Jaguars Today show. How is Hurns clutch though? Please do tell. He's roundabout the same exact player as Robinson and Lee. Robinson has more deep ball ability and explosive abilities. Lee has more speed and open field ability. Hurns is just kind of there if you ask me. 

And we don't have much to gauge him on. He was good in 2015 but a lot of that was garbage time. Outside of the Buffalo comeback game in London in 2015 when was he "clutch" or "critical"? You can't honestly say much or very often outside of that. He was decent as an unknown rookie. Racked up yardage in garbage time like Robinson in 2015. And was a non factor in 2016 due to injuries. 

We do need better QB play to be fair to all of our receivers. But the idea that Hurns is some all world beater or indispensable asset at WR on a losing team with the depth we now appear to have is laughable.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I actually don't think any of these receivers are getting traded.

Here's why:

Hurns is the best slot receiver on the roster at the moment. Westbrook has been playing outside and hasn't learned the route tree at the slot yet. He may eventually fill that role, but it's doubtful in 2017.

While many are ready to slide Westbrook or Cole into Lee's spot and ship Lee out the door, he's still the only proven receiver on the roster ready to play that spot opposite Robinson.
Westbrook and Cole have not shown yet that they can beat the jam from press coverage against NFL starters. And Marrone has stated clearly the importance of that trait in his receiving corps. It's why he started Westbrook working the outside spots instead of in the slot.

The team likely values Lee and Hurns more than what they could get for either of them right now unless someone is offering up a stud left guard. (doubtful) No one's giving us an answer at QB for one of these guys unless we package a high pick with them.
If they were going to do that, I think they'd have done it sooner. Week four of the preseason is a crap time to be teaching a new QB the playbook.

Mike Glennon for Hurns (we'll throw in Bortles for free). Save the season. Chicago has nothing at WR.
Only a chump boos the home team!

(08-24-2017, 10:30 AM)Kotite Wrote: Mike Glennon for Hurns (we'll throw in Bortles for free). Save the season. Chicago has nothing at WR.

Nah, Mike Glennon sucks.  Mitch Trubisky has put up better numbers than him in the preseason.

I would rather have Glennon as a stop gap than Henne or Bortles. He can stay on as a backup next year when we draft a QB in the 1st round. Seriously thinking of not going to games this year for the first time ever. Last time I needed to endure a season where Henne was the weekly QB, my eyes started to bleed.
Only a chump boos the home team!

(08-24-2017, 11:03 AM)Kotite Wrote: I would rather have Glennon as a stop gap than Henne or Bortles. He can stay on as a backup next year when we draft a QB in the 1st round. Seriously thinking of not going to games this year for the first time ever. Last time I needed to endure a season where Henne was the weekly QB, my eyes started to bleed.

The only problem is, you take on Glennon you take on that contract as well.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

How many concussions do you think Hurns has left in him before he calls it a career? I love the UDFA to NFL starter story, but I'm completely fine if the team decides to trade him for nothing less than a 4th or a quality Guard. It's unlikely we can get either though. I think Lee will turn out to be better and have better career stats than Hurns once everything is said and done.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2017, 12:16 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(08-24-2017, 09:41 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 08:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Where's the possession receiver in that mix? I don't see one.

Hurns has 150 career receptions on 278 career targets
Robinson has 201 career receptions on 383 career targets
Lee has 115 career receptions on 206 career targets 

I don't see Hurns as a "possession" receiver. A lot of these guys are plenty capable of running crossing routes across the middle of the field and converting 3rd downs. Lee especially fits that role with more speed and open field ability compared to Hurns who honestly comes off as stiff and a poor man's Keyshawn Johnson. 

It's also not like Hurns is some perfect pass catcher either. He's been known to drop passes as well. We don't really know what we have until the accuracy improves at the QB position in all honesty.

(08-24-2017, 09:23 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Not a lock to make this team? Lol, he is guaranteed his whole salary this year 7 mil.  He will def. make the team. Hurns is our most clutch player on the team.  At least Hurns has to get his head taken off before he misses a game or gets burnt.  Not so much for Lee.  Not to mention Lee will probably try to get about 10mil a year alsi

Don't shoot the messenger.  Big Grin

I am just relaying what I heard come out of Jeff Lageman's mouth on Tuesday during the Jaguars Today show. How is Hurns clutch though? Please do tell. He's roundabout the same exact player as Robinson and Lee. Robinson has more deep ball ability and explosive abilities. Lee has more speed and open field ability. Hurns is just kind of there if you ask me. 

And we don't have much to gauge him on. He was good in 2015 but a lot of that was garbage time. Outside of the Buffalo comeback game in London in 2015 when was he "clutch" or "critical"? You can't honestly say much or very often outside of that. He was decent as an unknown rookie. Racked up yardage in garbage time like Robinson in 2015. And was a non factor in 2016 due to injuries. 

We do need better QB play to be fair to all of our receivers. But the idea that Hurns is some all world beater or indispensable asset at WR on a losing team with the depth we now appear to have is laughable.
Last year's London game he had the game winning TD with 5 min left in the game as well.  We won by 3 points.  2 of our very few wins in the last 2 years came from Hurns TDs in the last few min. of the game

Not to mention he made like 4 or 5 defenders miss after the catch to take it to the house

(08-24-2017, 10:30 AM)Kotite Wrote: Mike Glennon for Hurns (we'll throw in Bortles for free). Save the season. Chicago has nothing at WR.

[Image: image.png?w=500&c=1]
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

If Hurns is really being traded John Greco the Browns backup guard could be a target. Pretty solid but has had injury issues.

(08-24-2017, 12:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: If Hurns is really being traded John Greco the Browns backup guard could be a target. Pretty solid but has had injury issues.

I really do hope that if a trade is actually being negotiated it involves a quality guard. 

Greco is 32 though, and is backing up a player in Bitonio that also has injury issues. Not sure they have the depth to part with him right now.

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Ubuntu, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif]Brent Martineau @BrentASJax

[/font]

Should see Hurns in action tonight. Still not completely sure why he sat last week but he will play some vs Carolina. #ASJax  #Jaguars
12:26 PM · Aug 24, 2017
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2017, 12:36 PM by JNev.)

(08-24-2017, 12:33 PM)knarnn Wrote: [font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Ubuntu, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif]Brent Martineau @BrentASJax

[/font]

Should see Hurns in action tonight. Still not completely sure why he sat last week but he will play some vs Carolina. #ASJax  #Jaguars

That doesn't do much to quell the feeling he's on the block in my opinion. Someone on twitter suggested maybe Arizona could be interested. John Brown is a question mark and they don't have much besides him and Fitz. Definitely in win-now mode too. No idea what they could give us back, but an interesting team I hadn't considered

(08-24-2017, 12:35 PM)JNev Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 12:33 PM)knarnn Wrote: [font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Ubuntu, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif]Brent Martineau @BrentASJax

[/font]

That doesn't do much to quell the feeling he's on the block in my opinion. Someone on twitter suggested maybe Arizona could be interested. John Brown is a question mark and they don't have much besides him and Fitz. Definitely in win-now mode too. No idea what they could give us back, but an interesting team I hadn't considered

Bring back Cap Capi!!!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-24-2017, 12:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 12:35 PM)JNev Wrote: That doesn't do much to quell the feeling he's on the block in my opinion. Someone on twitter suggested maybe Arizona could be interested. John Brown is a question mark and they don't have much besides him and Fitz. Definitely in win-now mode too. No idea what they could give us back, but an interesting team I hadn't considered

Bring back Cap Capi!!!

And Blaine Gabbert baby!

Any chance we can get Garapallo out of NE with the loss of Julian Edelman? Or is he even worth it?
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(08-27-2017, 07:54 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Any chance we can get Garapallo out of NE with the loss of Julian Edelman?  Or is he even worth it?

Not unless you wanna part with a pair of first round picks. That was said to be the Pats asking price. I'll pass.

Bet the pats sign Greene when we cut him.

(08-27-2017, 08:19 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-27-2017, 07:54 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Any chance we can get Garapallo out of NE with the loss of Julian Edelman?  Or is he even worth it?

Not unless you wanna part with a pair of first round picks. That was said to be the Pats asking price. I'll pass.

Too rich for my blood...  figured they might be desperate but then again they do seem to make something out of nothing and gain out of loss.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2017, 12:26 PM by knarnn.)

They have Austin Carr. He's been looking as good for the Pats during their camp as Cole has looked for us. Remember that name. The fans have called him the next Julian Edelman.