Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Twitter Rumor: Head Coach candidates were forced to start Bortles(proven false)

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2017, 08:46 AM by BklynJag.)

@Rosstucker Wow. @ryanohalloran told me Jags HC candidates were given mandate during interview process that Bortles was QB. Now here they are. Brutal.

I guess this is why Marrone is HC, not because he is the best candidate. I think with this news, Caldwell should be fire immediately. We know Coughlin wasn't a big fan of Blake before he was hired as EVP. Time to clean house, this is unbelievable. Why would any organization do this. The best QB should have the job, nothing should be mandated.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If coaches were forced to start Blake then why is Henne starting now? I know you want to believe stupidity like that, but clearly it's not the case.

How does this rumor live on the same world as the trying to trade for McCarran world?

They weren't forced to *start* him. Clearly, since Marrone just benched him. They were forced to give him a shot, which admittedly, is just as bad.

It is what it is at this point. Our QB is Henne/Bortles for the season. Hope Henne becomes Rich Gannon, not much else you can do at this point.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-24-2017, 09:00 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: If coaches were forced to start Blake then why is Henne starting now? I know you want to believe stupidity like that, but clearly it's not the case.

How does this rumor live on the same world as the trying to trade for McCarran world?

Henne starting, whether he's better than Bortles or not, is probably an attempt by Marrone/Coughlin to distance themselves from Caldwell

(08-24-2017, 09:00 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: If coaches were forced to start Blake then why is Henne starting now? I know you want to believe stupidity like that, but clearly it's not the case.

Exactly, I love how these things bounce around with such certainty

More than likely you look at Marrone as a Syracuse guy with similar philosophies to TC - Once it was clear that TC would be serving in his eventual role. Marrone made more and more sense since other coaches would blow up the staff and roster. Wether or not that is a mistake, it seems more logical than bringing in coaches and saying"yeah you have to want BB. 

Considering one of the more obvious reasons Marrone got out of Buffalo was ownerships demand for EJ Manuel to start.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2017, 09:15 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(08-24-2017, 09:02 AM)BklynJag Wrote:

Henne starting, whether he's better than Bortles or not, is probably an attempt by Marrone/Coughlin to distance themselves from Caldwell

Agree 100%.  They are just letting Caldwell burn is own bridge and then they can do what they want to do next year.  Marrone and Tom could be a great team if they get rid of Dave

I do think Dave told all the coaches that he wants someone who feels they can coach up Bortles.  I bet after these first 2 preseason games and training camp Tom has seen enough and trumped Dave and told Marrone to do what he feels is best

Rebuild mode again. new head coach and new coaching staff, new gm, another high draft pick qb. 5 more years of suckiness.

This whole crap narrative started as a different NFL writer's tweet citing a "source" that said coaches were told the F.O. wanted to give Blake another shot. That's all Ryan was cititng. A rumor from twitter. 

Now it's being twisted.

I can't believe you guys don't remember Dave Caldwell clearly announced at the beginning of the coaching search that candidates would NOT be mandated to stick with Bortles.

It's right here:

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-ja...ke-bortles

I'm editing the thread title to reflect the nature of this misinformation.

@boldcitycap Heard it from several different people that are very much in the know. It's not some huge conspiracy. TC gambled and lost. Now looks dumb.

hmmmmm

Don't rain on Debbie's parade.  These "rumors" are spank material for him.  If anyone says anything positive about the team, Debbie Downer loses all sense of purpose.

It was widely reported that Coughlin wasn't a fan of Bortles (more rumors).  Coughlin is the one who hired the head coach.  I doubt he put any kind of mandate on any candidate to start Bortles, especially now that you've got Bortles on the bench, and the team has been attached to looking with some interest at a QB like McCarron to see if a deal could be made to trade for him.

Had there truly been a situation where the team was "forcing head coaching candidates to start Bortles", that would have been far more widely reported than just some hack on twitter who Debbie Downer follows.  The team made it clear that there were no mandates for candidates other than getting this team back on the winning track regardless of what they needed to do to accomplish that.

Any tweet that starts with "@RyanOhalloran told me..." should be taken with a grain of salt.

As far as Tom and Doug using this benching as a way of distancing themselves from Caldwell, that's just silly.  Any distancing that occurred happened the day Tom was hired to be Dave's boss.  The decisions happening inside that stadium related to football all run through Coughlin, not Caldwell, and I'm pretty sure Tom couldn't care less about what Dave thinks about the moves he's making.  He has a mandate, and he answers directly to the owner.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(08-24-2017, 09:34 AM)BklynJag Wrote: @boldcitycap Heard it from several different people that are very much in the know. It's not some huge conspiracy. TC gambled and lost. Now looks dumb.

hmmmmm

if there's one person in the entire NFL that's not a gambler, it's Tom Coughlin.  He wasn't rolling the dice hoping Bortles succeeded.  

Knowing how involved Tom is in analyzing his options, he more than likely looked at what was available in the draft and free agency, and didn't see anyone out there that he felt was a significant upgrade over what we have on the roster currently.  Had there been a better option that the team could have obtained without mortgaging the future, Tom would have pulled the trigger.  He has a track record to back that up.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(08-24-2017, 09:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: This whole crap narrative started as a different NFL writer's tweet citing a "source" that said coaches were told the F.O. wanted to give Blake another shot. That's all Ryan was cititng. A rumor from twitter. 

Now it's being twisted.

I can't believe you guys don't remember Dave Caldwell clearly announced at the beginning of the coaching search that candidates would NOT be mandated to stick with Bortles.

It's right here:

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-ja...ke-bortles

I'm editing the thread title to reflect the nature of this misinformation.

Don't let facts get in the way of Debbie's bliss.

This is probably the dumbest thread imaginable.  Do I think the front office thought Bortles at the time was going to be the starter? Yes.  Do I think they were going to fore a coach to start him? Obviously not.

I honestly thought this thread was going to be posted when the coaching search was being done.  Then I saw it was only from an hour ago.  Can't get any worse.

Tad Dickman says this rumor is false.
Although I saw it also floated on twetterverse that Coughlin liked Watson at 4

Take tweets with a grain of salt... cuz if Tom Coughlin really has the power of the con over Caldwell and Maronne then either he's soft and not using his power or he didn't actually like Watson at 4...

It's all hear say unless you hear it from the horses mouth... instead of "sources" mouth.

The whole unnamable sources thing really is getting old.
If you get news report it, if you got rumors, go gossip with the girls.

Ryan O has no sources. Bogus rumour.

I hope we don't start letting Coughlin away with everything just because of his history though. Coughlin doubled down on Bortles for this year and it hasn't paid off. He decided to give him the option (no doubt Caldwell wanted this too) , he decided not to bring in any competition , and he decided not to draft any potential backups. These are the kind of decisions Tom was brought in for. In his first major one, he failed. His evaluation was wrong.

Hopefully a serious plan is put in place for next year. This season's going to be a mess from top to bottom. Will be interesting to see how Marrone keeps the team together as one unit this season.

Ryan O hack is fake news at its best. he has a thorne in his side since he cried about access to the team under Coughlins rules. He hates the jags and everything about them. He will publish fake news just to get his name out there like the trade hurns thing. dont give this [BLEEP] the publicity he seeks.

Then why wouldn't he bench or cut all of Caldwell's picks?  

Bortles is not playing well and got benched.  Has nothing to do with distancing themselves from Caldwell.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

If any fan base has reasons to be a downer it is this one. Hard to have any reason for optimism when move after move at the GM level has turned out to be crappy at best.
Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

(08-24-2017, 09:51 AM)Kane Wrote: Tad Dickman says this rumor is false.

Take tweets with a grain of salt... cuz if Tom Coughlin really has the power of the con over Caldwell and Maronne then either he's soft and not using his power or he didn't actually like Watson at 4...

It's all hear say unless you hear it from the horses mouth... instead of "sources" mouth.

O'Halloran just clarified the "rumor" on 1010XL, and he never indicated that he was told anything.  It was, once again, speculation on his part that has magically turned into a rumor that Debbie Downer is now hiding under his mattress so that mom and dad don't find it when they are in the basement.

(08-24-2017, 10:14 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 09:51 AM)Kane Wrote: Tad Dickman says this rumor is false.

O'Halloran just clarified the "rumor" on 1010XL, and he never indicated that he was told anything.  It was, once again, speculation on his part that has magically turned into a rumor that Debbie Downer is now hiding under his mattress so that mom and dad don't find it when they are in the basement.

poo slung on a wall to see if it sticks huih?