Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hey D6...

What is up with the Lions and Stafford?  Do you know why they haven't signed him to a long term deal yet?

Have you heard of any plans to franchise him?

I can't possibly imagine the Lions letting him walk next year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://sidelionreport.com/2017/08/22/de...ee-agency/

This Lions blog thinks worst-case scenario they'll franchise him. Which makes sense. The only one I'd feel somewhat confident about hitting FA is Cousins, and even that is iffy

(08-24-2017, 11:25 AM)JNev Wrote: https://sidelionreport.com/2017/08/22/de...ee-agency/

This Lions blog thinks worst-case scenario they'll franchise him. Which makes sense. The only one I'd feel somewhat confident about hitting FA is Cousins, and even that is iffy

Yeah...but until it happens...we can hope...right?

How sad is this that we have to hope a guy hits the FA market in 2018...and we're in preseason 2017?!?

(08-24-2017, 11:29 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 11:25 AM)JNev Wrote: https://sidelionreport.com/2017/08/22/de...ee-agency/

Yeah...but until it happens...we can hope...right?

How sad is this that we have to hope a guy hits the FA market in 2018...and we're in preseason 2017?!?

Oh trust me, I've already imagined his name on the back of a Jaguars jersey. So sad

(08-24-2017, 11:12 AM)Bullseye Wrote: What is up with the Lions and Stafford?  Do you know why they haven't signed him to a long term deal yet?

Bullseye,  I was anticipating a contract agreement to be worked out prior to the start of training camp.  My take on what happened is Derek Carr's contract raised the QB contract bar further.  Tom Condon,  Matthew Stafford's agent,  is a highly skilled negotiator.  Contracts with him are usually worked out.  But more on his terms than on the terms of the team.  Condon has a history of signing veteran contracts to extensions the week leading up to the regular season opener.  Time will tell if that happens this time around.  My guess is Stafford will sign a contract extension before Sept. 10.  There's PLENTY of risk for both sides not to get it done by then.

If by chance the 2 parties don't work out a new contract agreement leading up to the Tag Deadline next winter,  barring something totally unexpected,  such as a career altering injury or illness,  I expect the Lions to use the EXCLUSIVE Franchise Tag on Stafford.  With Stafford,  the Lions have a chance in practically every game.   W/o him,  this is a team that will struggle to win more than 2 games.   Jim Caldwell saw first hand in 2011 what life was like w/o Peyton Manning playing.  It cost him his job.  

The Lions finally have a difference making QB after decades w/o having one.  Using 1st Round picks on Chuck Long,  Andre Ware,  and Joey Harrington didn't turn out well for different reasons.  I'm anticipating Stafford will remain the Lions starting QB for many more years.  He's only 29,  despite entering his 9th season.

(08-24-2017, 06:21 PM)D6 Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 11:12 AM)Bullseye Wrote: What is up with the Lions and Stafford?  Do you know why they haven't signed him to a long term deal yet?

Bullseye,  I was anticipating a contract agreement to be worked out prior to the start of training camp.  My take on what happened is Derek Carr's contract raised the QB contract bar further.  Tom Condon,  Matthew Stafford's agent,  is a highly skilled negotiator.  Contracts with him are usually worked out.  But more on his terms than on the terms of the team.  Condon has a history of signing veteran contracts to extensions the week leading up to the regular season opener.  Time will tell if that happens this time around.  My guess is Stafford will sign a contract extension before Sept. 10.  There's PLENTY of risk for both sides not to get it done by then.

If by chance the 2 parties don't work out a new contract agreement leading up to the Tag Deadline next winter,  barring something totally unexpected,  such as a career altering injury or illness,  I expect the Lions to use the EXCLUSIVE Franchise Tag on Stafford.  With Stafford,  the Lions have a chance in practically every game.   W/o him,  this is a team that will struggle to win more than 2 games.   Jim Caldwell saw first hand in 2011 what life was like w/o Peyton Manning playing.  It cost him his job.  

The Lions finally have a difference making QB after decades w/o having one.  Using 1st Round picks on Chuck Long,  Andre Ware,  and Joey Harrington didn't turn out well for different reasons.  I'm anticipating Stafford will remain the Lions starting QB for many more years.  He's only 29,  despite entering his 9th season.

Thanks.

It's sad that as a Jaguars fan, I am eyeing the possibility of Stafford becoming available, no matter how remote, but here I am.

When you have a good QB, you always have a chance to win.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 04:55 PM by D6.)

(08-24-2017, 06:35 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Thanks.

It's sad that as a Jaguars fan, I am eyeing the possibility of Stafford becoming available, no matter how remote, but here I am.

My pleasure.  

As a someone who waited over 40 years to have a Pro Bowl QB,  I certainly can relate to what you and other Jaguars fans are going through.  At least for me,  it's very surprising how Blake Bortles went from a QB that showed tremendous promise in the 2014 and 2015 pre-seasons to what transpired the last couple of years.

(08-25-2017, 02:09 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: When you have a good QB, you always have a chance to win.

A good QB can substantially limit the damage of many problem areas on a team.

(08-25-2017, 04:53 PM)D6 Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 06:35 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Thanks.

My pleasure.  

As a someone who waited over 40 years to have a Pro Bowl QB,  I certainly can relate to what you and other Jaguars fans are going through.  At least for me,  it's very surprising how Blake Bortles went from a QB that showed tremendous promise in the 2014 and 2015 pre-seasons to what transpired the last couple of years.

None of us want to wait 40 years for the Jaguars to get another Pro bowl caliber QB.  Hats off to you for your tenacity and patience. 

Bortles collapse is surprising and baffling to many of us, too.

Sigh...