Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bowanko to start at LG tonight!

Both Tampa and Carolina have kicked our [BLEEP] in the trenches. This looks like a 1-15 team. Can't block anyone, can't tackle anyone. Basic football.

Hard to understand, after all the talk about what a talented team we have "if only we had a QB." Well once again, it looks like we have severely overrated our talent level.

And all the talk about how we want to be a physical football team, and all the padded practices. And we can't block anyone or tackle anyone. We get pushed around.

Oh, well. Looks like another long year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-25-2017, 02:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is why you don't ignore your most glaring positional need from the year before. OG should've been addressed in the offseason, but instead we're stuck rotating the same old duds we had last season.

There were a lot of quality FA guards available this year too.  Why it was ignored is pure incompetence on the front office.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 06:47 AM by TealHammer.)

Jag Front Office had the same mindset as some of the initial posters on this thread - that these awful backup interior linemen were hidden gems rather than below average backups.

Both guards are terrible.Dave really blew it by not addressing that position in. FA or the draft

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 04:05 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I dont think he played all that bad. Cann on the other hand, Guy Whimper was better than Cann as of late

If I was the coach I would make my oline

Robinson-Omameh-Bowanko-Linder-Parnell

(08-25-2017, 07:16 AM)jagboss Wrote: Both guards are terrible.Dave really blew it by not addressing that position in. FA or the draft

Isn't TC now over him?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-25-2017, 04:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 07:16 AM)jagboss Wrote: Both guards are terrible.Dave really blew it by not addressing that position in. FA or the draft

Isn't TC now over him?

He is, but I think Tom just more less let Dave burn his own bridge so he can have full control next year and pick his own QB and fix this oline.  IMO.  I really think Tom had a good feeling that the future at QB wasnt on this roster.

(08-25-2017, 06:47 AM)TealHammer Wrote: Jag Front Office had the same mindset as some of the initial posters on this thread - that these awful backup interior linemen were hidden gems rather than below average backups.

Perhaps they didn't think these were great guards, but thought they couldn't find upgrades in what most observers considered to be a below average OL draft class.

Now this doesn't speak to this team's failure to adequately stock OG before this year.  Clearly Caldwell deserves blame for that.

But when Zeitler signed with the Browns, the odds of them upgrading the G position this year reduced, especially given the way the draft fell.

(08-25-2017, 02:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is why you don't ignore your most glaring positional need from the year before. OG should've been addressed in the offseason, but instead we're stuck rotating the same old duds we had last season.

(08-25-2017, 02:47 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 02:31 AM)GTheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is why you don't ignore your most glaring positional need from the year before. OG should've been addressed in the offseason, but instead we're stuck rotating the same old duds we had last season.

Hard to argue with that.

QFT

There was likely hope that Albert would cover LT for a year while Robinson played guard, but I really wish they'd have gone big in FA on the position or selected one in the third round.

(08-25-2017, 05:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

(08-25-2017, 02:47 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Hard to argue with that.

QFT  

There was likely hope that Albert would cover LT for a year while Robinson played guard, but I really wish they'd have gone big in FA on the position or selected one in the third round.

That was more the hope of the fans. I remember after the draft, Caldwell was asked about Robinson and he said he was drafted to compete for the LT job. He said nothing about him ever moving to LG. I think that's what the fans wanted, but it was never the intention of the front office.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 05:20 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

There has to be at least one team in the league that has depth at the Guard position and a decent player dont make the 53 man roster. Hopefully we can pull the trigger fast and get an upgrade. Maybe a team that feels a certain player isnt worth the contract. We are pretty deparate right now i hope at finding an upgrade.

Everyone want Feeney but I want Pat Elflein while sliding Linder back to RG.

(08-25-2017, 05:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 05:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: QFT  

That was more the hope of the fans. I remember after the draft, Caldwell was asked about Robinson and he said he was drafted to compete for the LT job. He said nothing about him ever moving to LG. I think that's what the fans wanted, but it was never the intention of the front office.

Pure speculation on your part about Cam never getting looks at guard had Albert panned out. 
Marrone never stated anything definitive on the matter but several posters here and around the blogosphere interpreted his comments to mean much more than they likely did.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 05:38 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-25-2017, 05:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 05:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That was more the hope of the fans. I remember after the draft, Caldwell was asked about Robinson and he said he was drafted to compete for the LT job. He said nothing about him ever moving to LG. I think that's what the fans wanted, but it was never the intention of the front office.

Pure speculation on your part about Cam never getting looks at guard had Albert panned out. 
Marrone never stated anything definitive on the matter but several posters here and around the blogosphere interpreted his comments to mean much more than they likely did.

Exactly. Marrone never stated anything definitive, but he did say Robinson was brought in to be a LT. What people interpret his comments to mean is the speculation part. I'm simply going on what Marrone actually said.

(08-25-2017, 05:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 05:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Pure speculation on your part about Cam never getting looks at guard had Albert panned out. 

Exactly. Marrone never stated anything definitive, but he did say Robinson was brought in to be a LT. What people interpret his comments to mean is the speculation part. I'm simply going on what Marrone actually said.

Right. You're making an assumption based on something indefinite.  So am I. We may never know which is correct.

Marrone also said "we're going to put the best five guys on the field." 

If Robinson could outperform Omameh/Bowanko at LG he'd very likely be playing LG in 2017.  (were Albert not gone)
That's my opinion -- but it still doesn't justify ignoring guard like they did.

I feel that's it's a strong bet an in-shape Albert and Robinson would've seen the field together in some combination.

I also take anything said about where Robinson would play with a grain of salt considering the situation with Albert at that point.

(08-25-2017, 04:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 06:47 AM)TealHammer Wrote: Jag Front Office had the same mindset as some of the initial posters on this thread - that these awful backup interior linemen were hidden gems rather than below average backups.

Perhaps they didn't think these were great guards, but thought they couldn't find upgrades in what most observers considered to be a below average OL draft class.

Now this doesn't speak to this team's failure to adequately stock OG before this year.  Clearly Caldwell deserves blame for that.

But when Zeitler signed with the Browns, the odds of them upgrading the G position this year reduced, especially given the way the draft fell.

Let's not spin the facts. The Jags Front Office is grossly incompetent.  I don't trust them to wipe their [BLEEP] correctly. 

Either they (1) knew how bad the interior of the line was (and they should have) and chose not to do anything or (2) they inexplicably thought it was better than it was. I think #2 is more likely. 

Drafting a dang backup strong side end was NOT more important than drafting a competent guard in the third round. And 1010XL confirmed that Caldwell said in an interview that he called Zeitler's agent, heard how much he wanted and decided to not even pursue him cause they'd didn't want to spend that $ on a guard. Tasty pick, bonehead. 

So instead we head into the season with a hot dump o line to support a power run offense and no QB play.

(08-25-2017, 11:32 PM)TealHammer Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 04:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Perhaps they didn't think these were great guards, but thought they couldn't find upgrades in what most observers considered to be a below average OL draft class.

Let's not spin the facts. The Jags Front Office is grossly incompetent.  I don't trust them to wipe their [BLEEP] correctly. 

Either they (1) knew how bad the interior of the line was (and they should have) and chose not to do anything or (2) they inexplicably thought it was better than it was. I think #2 is more likely. 

Drafting a dang backup strong side end was NOT more important than drafting a competent guard in the third round. And 1010XL confirmed that Caldwell said in an interview that he called Zeitler's agent, heard how much he wanted and decided to not even pursue him cause they'd didn't want to spend that $ on a guard. Tasty pick, bonehead. 

So instead we head into the season with a hot dump o line to support a power run offense and no QB play.

Regarding your two alternatives...

Why would the team identify G as a weakness in prior years and choose to address it (albeit unsuccessfully) with Beadles, Linder, Cann then identify it as a weakness this year and choose not to address it?

Regarding the pursuit of Zeitler...why would he even give him a call if the team wasn't interested in upgrading the position at all?

As I said, Caldwell botched the OL prior to this year.  But now TC is calling the shots.  TC has never hesitated in taking offensive line high, to say nothing of the middle rounds, and he decided not to take a G in this draft. 

I wanted the team to take another G in this draft even after the Robinson pick.  I was not a fan of the Smoot pick.

But if the team did not see a guy who could help them in the draft, why would they then take one of the guys they don't think can help?

I'm rewatching bits of the game and focusing on the line. Bowanko seems to be outmatched in the run game thus far. Cann is up and down/inconsistent in the run game. Wins some, loses some.

Parnell looks solid as does Linder.

Cam is struggling in pass pro and far from perfect in the run game as well.

(08-25-2017, 11:32 PM)TealHammer Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 04:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Perhaps they didn't think these were great guards, but thought they couldn't find upgrades in what most observers considered to be a below average OL draft class.

Being an OL guru, Marrone's opinion was probably a big factor in the way the OL was dealt with this offseason. I don't see Caldwell as the one responsible for replacing Beachum with Albert (a stupid move IMO), Beachum was his free agent signing from the year before.

The Jags have signed a lot of offensive linemen. Beadles was a Pro Bowler. Joeckel and Robinson were high draft picks. Linder, Cann, and Bowanko were draft picks. Considering how Cann and Beadles got worse over time and Joeckel never developed, I think poor coaching has to be at least partly to blame.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(08-26-2017, 03:22 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 11:32 PM)TealHammer Wrote: Let's not spin the facts. The Jags Front Office is grossly incompetent.  I don't trust them to wipe their [BLEEP] correctly. 

Being an OL guru, Marrone's opinion was probably a big factor in the way the OL was dealt with this offseason. I don't see Caldwell as the one responsible for replacing Beachum with Albert (a stupid move IMO), Beachum was his free agent signing from the year before.

The Jags have signed a lot of offensive linemen. Beadles was a Pro Bowler. Joeckel and Robinson were high draft picks. Linder, Cann, and Bowanko were draft picks. Considering how Cann and Beadles got worse over time and Joeckel never developed, I think poor coaching has to be at least partly to blame.
After watching Joeckel play guard the other night and decently mind you, I tend to agree there are some coaching issues involved.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]